Project A-Ko Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Fan Fiction ❯ Nabiki 1/2 (A Very Scary Thought) ❯ Rainy Day Girlfriends... ( Chapter 98 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Nabiki 1/2

(A Very Scary Thought)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Based Upon the Altered Destinies Storyline

Inspired by the works of such fans as

Wade Tritshler

Richard Lawson

James Jones

And Many Others

Standard Disclaimer: This is inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and is not my original creation. All characters belong to her. This is only a fanfictional work, and is not intended to compromise the rights of the original owners, distributors and publishers of the Ranma series. I have no money to spare and would very much appreciate if no one tries to sue me.

"Rats, it never fails!" Nabiki-kun bitterly complained as he sought shelter in a local bathhouse, having been caught out in the rain without an umbrella.

Now male in form, he naturally sought to change back to his proper gender, but lacking his usual bath pail and implements, he had to rent them from the front desk, then endure several moments of flirting by the girl behind the counter, who seemed eager to obtain his phone number even after Nabiki-kun politely told the lady that he was already married.

Armed with a basin of fresh supplies, Nabiki-kun's next challenge was in finding away to change on the correct side of the bathhouse. This presented something of a logistical problem as he wanted to change on the lady's side of the place, but first he had to change from male to female in order to avoid being chased out of the building by a stampede of outraged females. Thus he stopped in at a boy's bathroom and filled the basin with warm water, then splashed himself and turned female, then gathered up his belongings and did a quick hop out of there, leaving a few men gaping in her passage.

Once firmly ensconced in the hot bath, Nabiki began to relax and soak up the warm waters. It felt good to kick back and relax for once, not feeling the pressures and responsibilities resting on her shoulders as she gave in to the sinfully delicious pleasure of letting go and just floating for a time within the water.

Just as she began to get into the experience, however, a familiar voice said, "Caught in the rain again? You really should make a habit of carrying an umbrella."

Nabiki opened up her eyes and saw her friend Beatrice standing there above the baths, her silver-haired classmate from high school standing long and lean with only a bath towel concealing her body. Nabiki smiled as she looked up at the other girl and said, "I've considered it, but it would feel pretty awkward always holding one in my hand, and since I don't carry a back-pack, like Ryoga…"

"I see," Beatrice smiled faintly, "So you favor style over practicality, and thus your constant dilemma with being frequently doused with cold water. If you don't mind my saying so, my friend, I would reluctantly conclude that you are a glutton for punishment, your protests to the contrary notwithstanding."

"Could be you're right," Nabiki smiled as she watched Beatrice sit down on a bench after setting her towel aside, thus revealing a body that was well-toned and excellently curvy in all the right places, a fact she could not help but admire with genuine appreciation (much though such thoughts brought about a guilty twinge of remorse as she did not want to feel in the least bit disloyal to her wife, who would be understandably jealous.

"I see you decided to cut short your training trip this time," Beatrice noted just before she doused herself with soapy water, then added, "I thought you would be out of town for another few days."

"Actually, it was the old woman's idea," Nabiki admitted, "She seemed to think that I was having trouble concentrating on my studies, so she called it off early and told me to spend a few days trying to get my head screwed back on straight."

"Oh?" Beatrice remarked as she slipped into the hot tub with Nabiki, "Is something disturbing you overmuch, Nabiki-san? That hardly sounds in character as you have one of the most remarkable powers of concentration of anyone whom I have recently observed…"

"I've…had a few things on my mind lately," Nabiki reluctantly replied, "Things have been getting more and more complicated since Shampoo had her baby…"

"Ah yes," Beatrice nodded sagely as she leaned back and studied her friend with a sidelong expression, "I'd rather guessed that you were having romantic problems of one sort or another. Let me venture a wild theorem…this has something to do with your handsome beau-and my erstwhile former iinazuke-Ranma."

Nabiki blinked, "How did you…?"

"Character analysis," Beatrice replied, "People do tend to form patterns of behavior that-once I have observed and formed a tentative hypothesis regarding same-they tend to act within those parameters regardless of what stress they might otherwise be under. Take Shampoo, for example…affection and loyalty are her watchwords, and she would hardly abandon you with a child only three weeks of age. You do not seem as depressed as I know you would be if she were to choose to suddenly leave you, so it is clear to me that she can not be the source of the problem. As for the other members of your rather tight-knit group, I hardly expect that you would be this worked up over Ukyo or Perfume, which-by means of elimination-leaves Saotome Ranma as the chief principle suspect. His welfare concerns you very much, and if he were absent from your life it would produce the kinds of results that I have observed in your expression."

"Ah…yeah," Nabiki said sheepishly, "That was a pretty good guess."

"I never guess," Beatrice winked back at her, "I base all my opinions on solidly well-based analysis and research. So…Ranma is away at the present, is he? May I further hazard to guess that you two have had some recent difficulties that have left you feeling somewhat out of sorts and in a state of both denial and confusion?"

"Denial?" Nabiki blinked at the word.

"Well, if is obvious to me that whatever has come between you has opened a temporary separation," Beatrice returned, "This can only suggest one thing to me…that Ranma has come to harbor doubts about himself and has gone off on a quest to find and reestablish his self-identity so that he may came come back and look at you as a near-equal. You are presently confused at why he needs to be apart from you in order to do this, and as such you seem to be avoiding looking hard at his probable motivation."

Nabiki had to concede that Beatrice had a very disconcerting way of probing for the truth while seeming to act relaxed and quite unaffected. It was a technique that Nabiki had thought that she had pioneered in her travels, but next to Beatrice-arguably the smartest girl in their whole school-she was a stumbling amateur making a pretense at playing Holmes to her Watson. She lowered her gaze to the water and tried not to betray her sense of being wholly transparent.

"Okay…" Nabiki sighed aloud, "So Ranma and me are having a few problems…"

"Really?" Beatrice affected an air of mild surprise that was not entirely convincing, "What a shame, and you seem like such a lovely couple. Was he beginning to fear being crowded out and ignored in your relationship, or does he just feel a need to prove himself? Men have such sensitive egos…they need to be stroked every so often, or so I have observed…"

"Pardon me for saying so," Nabiki said, "But I didn't think men were of much interest to you."

"You wold be surprised at what captures my interest on occasions," Beatrice smiled coyly, "And, as I said before, I was-at one time-engaged by my father to Ranma. But I apologize if I am otherwise being too intrusive. You do not need to feel obligated to confide in me if the issue is too sensitive…"

"No…it's all right," Nabiki sighed, "Seems everybody else has been giving me advice lately, why should you be any exception?"

"So, it's been like that for you now, has it?" Beatrice cocked a pale eyebrow, "Then I suppose you don't need me to make any recommendations since I am sure that you have had some excellent advice from the people who care most about you."

Nabiki blew air out of her nostrils and eyed the silver haired girl wryly, "Then why don't you answer a question for me, since you brought this up…does it seem to you like I'm a very serious person? I mean…like I don't know how to relax and have fun…?"

"Fun?" Beatrice repeated the word, "Ah yes…that is a word that seems most lacking in your demeanor. For as long as I have known you, Nabiki-san…which-admittedly-is not very long in actual time…I have denoted in you what is often called 'Type A' behavior, the workaholic's obsession with filling every waking hour of every day with something productive. I used to be rather much like that myself many months ago…I well remember how I could throw myself into a project and absolutely lose track of empirical time, often going for days on very little sleep and hardly noticing. Ah yes…back then I only knew the dictionary definition of the word, 'fun,' but I was not very good at practicing it in my life."

"That's hard to believe," Nabiki mused rightly, "You seem so relaxed and laid back now…"

"That's because I learned a very important lesson that you have yet to achieve," Beatrice replied, "I've learned to trust in circumstances, to have a hope for the future that is based on the present. I know what true love is, and I am content in the knowledge."

"Oh yeah?" Nabiki eyed the other girl with a wary expression, "And what about your girlfriend? I'm a little surprised I don't see Alison anywhere about…"

"She is about her own devices," Beatrice replied, "But she promised that she would meet with me in this bathhouse. She is not always a very reliable person, but I trust her at her word, and she really does mean well, the sweet dear…"

Nabiki had to grin at that as she regarded the girl known by the very awkward name of Beatrice Kane Daitokuji, a half-Japanese vunderkine child whose grandfather was a notorious super-villain back in the United States of America, a certified (or certifiable) genius who was master of all the sciences and could create a death ray out of a box of half-used Kleenex. Though some called her by her semi-notorious name of Beiko (or Biko), she much preferred the more relaxed name of Beatrice these days as reflected her more laid-back personality and elegant style, though she professed at one time that she hated the name, back in the days that she laughingly referred to as the period when she was "crazy."

The odd thing was that Beatrice had become her friend almost from the moment of their first meeting, two girls of above-average intellect who had formed a tentative friendship based on what had started out as a simple "business" proposal. Beatrice-though a near-goddess when it came to engineering or a science lab-had problems comprehending the elemental sciences of economics, so she had come to confide in Nabiki for the latter's business acumen, and by turns was in the process of sorting out her financial situation from the mess it had been in when Beatrice rather absently left the management of such things to her father.

And that also brought to mind the other issue that had once hovered between them, Saotome Ranma. Beatrice professed to have no interest in the young man herself and had sought Nabiki's counsel in finding a way of extricating herself from their engagement, a tricky proposition given that her father had insisted on the union, much though it had been arranged without either the knowledge or consent of the two concerned parties.

But Beatrice had been quite firm about wanting an end to their unwanted betrothal, being very insistent that the only way her heart would permit her to swing was in a very different and definitive direction, towards the crimson-haired powerhouse known as Alison (AKA: Aiko/Eiko) Kent Managi, a girl already notorious for her meta-human characteristics and penchant for somewhat volatile behavior.

"You know," Nabiki commented wryly, "Whenever I see you two together I often wonder what draws the both of you together. You seem like such total opposites sometimes…"

"In many ways we are," Beatrice admitted, "But I think that we have good chemistry, and it is our differences that make things so interesting between us."

"And is that why you spend almost every morning chasing her around school grounds?" Nabiki continued.

"That's more-or-less something of a game we both play," Beatrice replied, "Aiko…I mean…Alison and I first met when we were children, and the sort of competitiveness we felt then is still a large part of our mutual existence. When we met again, nearly a year ago, it was like we just felt the urge to pick things up where we had left off, only I had grown to be somewhat strange in my humors and actually attempted to kill her with my home-made devices. It all seems like such folly now, an indiscretion of my youth, where I would spend the night thinking up killer robots and death rays to hurl against her in the morning, and always she would trash my devices, enraging me to invent more and more complicated inventions…"

"But eventually you changed your mind about her," Nabiki mused, "Why?"

"Perhaps because…when we were cast adrift in space, we had no one else to rely upon but each other," Beatrice sighed, "That changes your outlook, makes you wonder what it was that got you so angry to begin with. I came to the rather startling realization that I had been in love with Alison all along but was in heavy denial of this fact, and thus the reason I would try so hard to be rid of her. As I said, I wasn't such a very pleasant person to be around in those days, before I acquired my Nanites, which stabilized my mental chemistry and relieved a sharp imbalance in my hormones that was causing me to act so eccentric."

"Dying and coming back to life must also have had something to do with it," Nabiki gently reminded.

"Quite true," Beatrice replied, "And it is because of that experience that I now love Alison with all my heart and soul. She means the world to me, and one day I intend to make her mine in soul and body. Alison knows this too and has accepted her lot in life as my true intended…and-being part Amazon that she is-she knows that I will work to earn her love by using the same dedication that I once employed to achieve her death to instead conquer her rightfully as my bride-to-be, which is as it was meant to be but for my formerly sad case of denial."

"There's that word again," Nabiki mused wryly, "And of course Alison agrees with you about the inevitability part?"

"Maybe not yet," Beatrice took on a slightly evasive smile as she added, "But she will…and you have provided me with an excellent example of how to go about this."

"Huh?" Nabiki double-blinked, "How's that?"

"Oh…nothing," Beatrice grinned all the more, "Forget I said anything about it."

At that precise moment-not observed by either of the two women-a third young girl was approaching their position with a bath towel wrapped around her body and a basin in both hands, a tall redhead who went by the curious name of Aiko (Eiko), which was short for "Alison Kent Managi." She, too had been caught out in the rain in her hurry to make it to the bathhouse, but unlike with poor Nabiki, all this meant that she was thoroughly wet and in need of a good cleaning. She came within earshot of the pair just in time to hear a stray snatch of conversation that caused her to halt in place and stare wide-eyed at the hot tub.

"Still you know," a voice that she recognized as belonging to Nabiki Tendo remarked, "I think challenging your significant other to a fight every morning is a pretty odd way of getting her attention."

"You're a fine one to talk, considering how you met you wife," replied the voice that was unmistakably belonging to Beiko, "But Alison knows I only do it to keep in shape so the two of us don't wind up becoming rusty. Our fighting skills are on a level that is difficult to match…albeit that mine are greatly enhanced by powered armor. There are not many others who can give Aiko a good workout, and besides…it's just for fun between us. If I actually caught and defeated her it might spoil that fun a little, but in the end it all amounts to the same thing as I know full well that her heart can never truly be won through a little rough housing…"

Very silently the redhead framed the words, "A little rough housing?"

"…In truth, she needs to know that I still care about her deeply," Beatrice sighed, "So if I stopped challenging her every morning she might begin to doubt that I still have an interest. Besides, it's all in fun…once our morning romp is over we call a truce that lasts the rest of the day and we go about our normal day as school kids attending classes together. I tutor her in her studies so that she does not fall behind the others, and she accompanies me in a number of things we do together, so I have the delight of her presence in a purely non-combative sense that is further enhanced by the fact that we also share a place together. We are roommates and help-mates in all the essential ways that would be typical of a marriage, and yet I still have a long ways to go in working to earn her trust and devotion. Some day I may prevail on her to accept me in an official capacity, and to hell with what anyone else has to say about it. More and more I am convinced that Alison is the only one for me, and when she comes to share that view I know that her heart will be mine completely."

Alison blinked her eyes and felt a very odd…something. Beatrice was always having such an effect on her, it made Alison genuinely wonder why she spent so much time with the girl who had once been her most hated enemy but was now her closest friend and boon companion.

"I'm glad you're confident of this," Nabiki sighed, "I just wish I was as certain about Ranma…"

"Do you doubt that the two of you were meant to be together?" Beatrice asked.

"No, it's…not that," Nabiki began, then faltered, "I just…wish I knew if I meant as much to him as he means to me. Going off like that on a training mission…"

"Men do need to get out on their own once in a while," Beatrice philosophized, "Rather like a tomcat what needs to go about his business when you let him out every evening…"

"Every evening?" Nabiki blink-blinked, and then she frowned and growled, "He'd better not be playing around in anybody else's litterbox, or he'll be sorry…"

"Do you honestly believe him capable of being disloyal?" Beatrice arched a pale eyebrow, "Because that is certainly not the impression that I've formed of Saotome-san, not at all."

"Then what do you make of him going off like that and leaving me behind?" Nabiki sulked.

"Difficult to say without more data upon which to formulate a basis," Beatrice replied, "But at a guess I would hazard to say that he is attempting to rebuild his confidence so that he feels more worthy of you. You need not fear that he will never return to your side, for he is the type of individual who-once he has given his heart-is as fiercely partisan as he is loyal."

Nabiki was silent for a long moment before she asked, "You really think so? You don't think…I may have done something to drive him away from me? It's not like I…like I don't miss him…"

"Why not simply come out and admit that you are a woman in love who wants the man of her life to stay close to her and never leave her side ever?" Beatrice replied, "No one would fault you for owning up to these feelings. Take me once again for an example…I have no trouble confessing that it is Aiko to whom I have given my heart. Alison and I were always meant to be together…she is, quite simply, the woman around whom I will build a new and better life."

Unseen behind them, the redhead in question drew in a sharp breath and felt something stir within her as she heard this pronouncement.

"Even if you have to drag her into it kicking and screaming?" Nabiki just then countered.

"I should hardly think it would take that much effort to win her affections," Beatrice sighed, lifting one shapely bare leg out of the water and showing it off as though it were a proud possession, "After all…examine these well-shaped and statuesque limbs of mine, which I have spent many years shaping and honing to such glistening perfection. Am I not a fair beauty whom men would give any prize to possess? And yet, beside Alison, I am but a mere mortal doing homage to a fiery-maned goddess. She is a prize worthy of possession…but I think I should have very little trouble enticing her to good effect. Tell me truly, my dear friend…you who have a strong appreciation for feminine beauty…do you not think that I am as comely as your radiant wife? Are you not even a little bit tempted just sitting here besides me to explore the wonders of my body?"

"Uh…well…" Nabiki silently cringed a little, but mainly because she was afraid of admitting even to herself that she had been eyeing Beatrice coyly for the better part of the last few minutes.

"HEY!!!" cried an outraged Alison, who all at once was looming over them both like a towering figure of divine rage, "Beiko-what the heck are you doing?"

"Oh, hello, Alison," Beatrice smiled up without the least shame or surprise on her lovely features, "We were wondering when you would show up. Clean yourself off and come join us…it's been so lonely here without you."

"Don't you try to butter me up, you-!" Alison waved a finger at her nominal partner, but in doing so she forgot to mind her balance and went tumbling into the tub with a splash that briefly soaked both Beatrice and Nabiki.

"Oh well," the silver-haired girl smiled slyly, "Opportunity knocks…"

She took a deep breath and dove down into the water just as Alison surfaced, sputtering like a wet hen and grousing, "Now see what you made me do? You platinum haired hussy-uh…where'd she go?"

Nabiki started to open her mouth to form a reply when all at once Alison's eyes went round and she glanced down into the water, then Beatrice surfaced right behind her and slung an arm around the redhead's waist, cooing softly, "I'm right here, my love…did you miss me?"

"Hey!" a look of slight panic filled the redhead's eyes as she turned and said, "Watch those hands, I-MMMMPPPHH???"

Said tirade died abruptly as the silver haired girl clasped her mouth over the lips of her companion, and it seemed to Nabiki as if the crimson-haired dynamo all but melted into the embrace of the amorous Beatrice, who cupped one hand around a breast while her other hand snaked around and much loser, caressing the space between the powerful thighs of the titian-haired Titaness. Alison groaned only once in protest and then began to relax and go with the flow as Beatrice set about to the delightful task of seducing her in the public hot tubs.

"Oh my," Nabiki murmured, going very round-eyed as she studied these two growing more and more animated. She was certainly glad that Beatrice had once explained to her the fact that she had made a thorough study of Alison's anatomy and had mastered the techniques of caressing nerve clusters that would cause the powerhouse demi-Kryptonian/Amazon to go limp in her arms and thus not apply crushing force that might jeopardize the health of her lover.

As she thought this, however, it also became plain to her thinking that the space around these two was getting a little crowded, and if she did not want to be casually roped into their "fun," then she would have to back away slowly and make no sudden movements. [Good thing those two look like they could ignore an air raid siren at the moment…otherwise I'd be the one who'd have to do some fancy explaining to both Shampoo and Ranma!]

Still and all, there was something enormously attractive about the odd coupling of Beatrice and Alison, something that very much reminded Nabiki of the emotional bonds that existed between her and Ranma. There was the same mismatched attraction, the same raw animalistic appeal, the sense of completion that one of them gave to the other, and the same indefinable sense that they were two parts that made a whole…an altogether different arrangement than what existed between her and Shampoo, or what existed between Ranma and Ukyo. Ranma was, to Nabiki, the raw essence of manhood distilled down into one very tempting package. She rather imagined that Ranma himself had his own inventory of elements that found satisfaction in Nabiki, so what was the one difference that marked their relationship as different than that between Daitokuji and Managi?

Right, the sex thing…despite enormous mutual temptation, Ranma and Nabiki had yet to actually take each other to the mattress and explore their "compatibility" issues in a most decisive manner. By contrast, Alison-who was very much like a female Ranma-for all her protests to the contrary, was very much in love with Beatrice and freely submitted to the silver-haired girl's affections when caught up in odd moments such as this one. Nabiki had no doubt that Ranma would be as…vigorous in a clench, but as yet had not found a very good avenue in which to indulge this as-yet-untraveled venue in their relationship, and so it remained an issue between them, always simmering just below the surface.

Nabiki wondered…could physical consummation be the element missing from their relationship? It did seem at least possible, given that the issue that had caused a wedge to form between them had started with the double pregnancy of Ukyo by Perfume and Shampoo by Nabiki. Could Ranma be feeling excluded because he was not included in the nightly bedtime antics of his four fiancées? That did seem at least semi-plausible, but Nabiki suspected that there was a deeper reason, an issue of fundamental trust and mutual respect that had been causing Ranma to fall into a kind of depression.

So the problem did come back to Nabiki and the level of actual trust that she had been extending towards Ranma, the sense that he felt like an inferior around her because she had been treating him like a second-class iinazuke. This neglect-however unintentional on her part-was leaving Ranma to feel slighted in his manhood…so, yes…in a way, the issue of sex was a significant component. Just because Ranma kept insisting that he wanted to wait until after they were wed was no reason why Nabiki should have taken him at his word that there was "no problem." If anything she had been flaunting her relationship with Shampoo out in the open, and that was what had left him feeling slighted and ignored, and not just because of the baby-issue either.

So in a way it made sense that Ranma would start to have inferiority issues, and since sublimation was a natural outlet for that it only made sense that he would transfer such feelings to his martial arts abilities, and hence his need to improve himself to at least Nabiki's own standard of excellence. How ironic that the two things that meant the most to Nabiki-her relationship to Shampoo and her martial arts abilities-were driving a gap between her and the man she most…um…admired.

As she was thinking these thoughts, however, she became aware that the waters in the hot tub were starting to vibrate in a quite palpable and tell-tale manner. Nabiki had been rather guiltily enjoying the show that her two friends were putting on with Beatrice doing most of the stroking and fondling and Alison much of the grunting, groaning and moaning as the silver-haired genius worked her up to an obvious frenzy. As much as Beatrice might be able to suppress her lover's titanic strength, however, some natural reactions of the body were nearly impossible to tone down, and as Alison neared the point of inevitable surrender her body was giving off potent vibes that warned anyone in the neighborhood that a gusher was about to blow at any moment!

"Oh shit…!" Nabiki exclaimed as she belatedly climbed back out of the bath, just seconds before the redhead gave a gasp of delight that uncorked the bottle royal and caused her body to involuntarily spasm.

The result was quite literally explosive as the water erupted in a froth that was almost as violent as a geyser. Alison and Beatrice momentarily vanished from view as the former climaxed and the latter held on for dear life. It was fortuitous that Beatrice was well experienced in this type of physical reaction, for the silver haired girl had been careful to position her lover so that Alison would not accidentally kick against anything solid, but the sheer raw power contained by the redhead was enough to prove lethal had anyone been caught in the undertow of her explosion. As it was Nabiki got drenched in the backwash as the waters in the tub shot in all directions, and then the climax passed the crisis point as Beatrice eased back in her administration of pleasure, while Alison eased back into her arms and sighed contentedly, mewing softly like a baby.

"Was it good for you too…?" she faintly groaned as Beatrice eased her back in what remained of the hot water.

"You go through that every time?" Nabiki asked her friend as Beatrice returned a smile at her that was perfectly cat-like. (Small shudder)

"Oh yes," Beatrice replied, "But this was nothing…on dry land she sometimes cracks the pavement. Our building manager thinks our apartment must be built on an active fault line, and this is only what happens when I'm the one doing the stimulating."

Nabiki shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well…she's your girlfriend, and I'm glad somebody around here knows how to tame her."

"I do my best, of course," Beatrice said blandly, "But Alison is such a dear that I just cannot stand by and see her wallowing in neglect. She needs someone to help relieve her stress, and that duty-happily enough-falls upon me to provide on a regular basis."

"Glad somebody else around here takes these things in stride," Nabiki shrugged her still-wet body and looked forlornly at her now-soaked towels, "Well…thanks for the show, but I need to get going. Shampoo and the others are going to be wondering where I ran off to…"

"Nabiki-chan," Beatrice called to her as the Tendo girl started to turn away, "Remember what I said…and try to have fun more often. Life isn't all about business, and in all other respects you remain my inspiration."

"Ah…yeah…" Nabiki turned a puzzled look back her way, "Your inspiration in what sense?"

"Oh…" Beatrice turned a lazy smile towards the recovering Alison, "Let's just say…I have been inspired by your example…and Shampoo too. You'll know what I mean…someday very soon."

"Uh…?" Alison straightened up and turned to look at her roommate-slash-girlfriend, "Why is it when I hear you talk like that I get this funny sense that you're up to something, Beiko?"

"Why, whatever could you mean?" Beatrice replied, adopting a patently innocent expression.

"And now I'm worried," Alison remarked, past experience assuring her that whatever her lover had in mind, it was something very significant.

"So am I," Nabiki said with a smile as she turned away, thinking to herself that Beatrice was definitely up to something rather significant, but whatever it was, it would no doubt develop over time as the silver-haired genius tended to be a Big Thinker with many long-range plans in the works that revolved around Alison, but if pressed on the subject, Beatrice would only smile and assure everyone that she only had Alison's best interests at heart…which could mean a lot of things in Nabiki's imagination.

"Have fun, eh?" Nabiki remarked as she gathered up her belongings and headed for the lockers, pausing at the door to say, "I wonder…is that the key? Is that what I'm missing, what the old woman's been harping about all along? Could it really be that simple?"

"YOU WHAT???" Alison cried out, causing Nabiki to turn and look back in their direction, "BEIKO-HAVE YOU GONE CRAZY???"

"Do I take it that this was a rhetorical question?" Beatrice replied, "It is just a proposal…but if you truly object to the whole idea…"

"Object?" Alison exclaimed, "This is crazy! You honestly think such a harebrained scheme could work?"

"Of course," Beatrice replied, "I've run all the necessary tests and have affirmed our compatibility, at least on a genetic level. I raise this issue now because I am assured that what I propose is not only viable, but natural in regards to a long-term relationship between us."

"But don't I get any say in this?" Alison asked, "Did you just come up with this idea out of the blue?"

"Of course not," Beatrice replied, not mentioning which part of the question she was answering with that assurance, "I've thought very long and hard about all aspects, including the mechanical process by which a transfer can be successfully effected. What I am proposing is sound in both a biological and scientific sense, and we already have the clear example that such a thing is not only possible but can result in a more fulfilling union."

"Well…yeah…maybe it worked for the Tendos, but Beiko…we're both still just in high school…"

"No time like the present to get started then," Beatrice replied, "Come on, Aiko…what do I have to do, get down on my knees and beg? I really think this would be a wonderful way for the two of us to get closer together…"

"Who said I wanted that?" Alison replied, "This whole thing is just…well…too weird for words…"

"Do you really think so?" Beatrice asked, letting go of Alison and moving away, "You hate me, that's it, isn't it? You think I really haven't changed my ways, that I'm still the same mentally unstable psycho-chick who used to hound you every morning. You think I'm a burden to you, an annoyance, a perpetual reminder of our sordid past and misspent quest for Celeste and Kei…"

"Huh?" Alison looked positively dumbstruck, "Hey, I never said that! Beiko, I'm not…"

"That's Beatrice to you," Beatrice looked away, "And I suppose this means you plan on moving out, now that you find me so objectionable...""

"You're making a big deal out of this…Beiko…you know I don't…I mean…you…me…I… hooboy…"

"You don't really care about me at all, do you?" Beatrice said with a frosty glare from over her shoulder, "You just like leading me on and toying with my feelings…"

"I never did anything like that!" Alison protested, almost pleading as she laid a hand on the other girl's shoulder, "Beiko…that's not…I mean…I'm not…"

"Then…you will consider my idea?" Beatrice asked without turning around.

"Eh…well…I guess…" Alison said somewhat uneasily.

"Then," Beatrice turned around and embraced Alison, bringing their faces in close, "You'll agree that my proposal isn't so crazy?"

"Uh…huh?" Alison replied, finding herself captured by the crystal clear blue eyes of the other girl, beyond her ability to refuse their silent compulsion.

"I want to have a baby with you, Alison," Beatrice replied, "And I don't mean next year, I mean as soon as we are able."

Nabiki's eyebrows climbed to approach her hairline, and she wondered just why she had failed to see this angle coming.

"Um…a baby?" Alison swallowed, "Uh…well…I guess…maybe it's not so crazy…"

"I'm glad to hear you say that," Beatrice replied as she touched her brow against that of Alison, "Because any child that comes from our genes will be extraordinary. Think about it…Amazon, Kryptonian, Human and divine genes…and the two of us embodying the best of what is in humanity, what parents we could make for a child who comes from such a union…"

Nabiki turned away again, shaking her head in disbelief as she murmured in awe, "She's good…"

She had almost exited the bathhouse when she heard the last few bits of this exchange, Alison conceding to the inevitable by saying, "Well…I guess when you put it like that, it doesn't sound quite so weird…"

"That's good," Beatrice smiled as she deliberately separated herself from Alison and moved apart with a teasing smile, "Because I am happy to report that my Nanites have succeeded in implanting some of my genetic material within one of your ovum at the height of your last fertility cycle, and with the embryo now firmly implanted within the wall of your womb, as reported to me during your most recent climax…"

"WHAT?" Alison reacted with a stunned expression, her brown eyes registering faint disbelief.

"I am happy to inform you, Alison," Beatrice gave her a winsome smile as she climbed out of the hot tub, "That you are now officially pregnant. Congratulations…we are going to be parents."

"We-what? WHY YOU-!!!" Alison leaped from the tub and began chasing after Beatrice, who had already got a good head start heading for the lockers, the two of them whizzing past Nabiki, whose hair was kicked up by the pair in their passage, Beatrice laughing merrily as if being caught was nothing to be dreaded.

"Oh yeah," Nabiki nodded faintly, "I've definitely got to take pointers from that girl…her technique is utterly flawless…"

"All right then," Genma said solemnly, "You three are here to help train and develop a new use for the Senken…and to that end, the Master has graciously offered to help coach you to do what I failed to do…to broaden the system and reform it into something honorable and useful."

"The old freak is helping us out?" Ranma said with disgust.

"What's it going to cost us?" Ryoga asked, "A lingerie run? Our weight in panties?"

"We don't need that perverted old freak," Ryu snarled, "We can do this by ourselves…"

"Foolish boys!" Genma all but exploded, "You think you're all so smart that you can ignore the experience and insight of Happosai? Believe me…no one knows how evil and perverted the Master is like I do, but this is necessary if you are to achieve the best results."

"I'll take it from here, Genma old boy," Happosai said as he strode forward, "So…you don't think you have anything to learn from an old timer like me, eh? Well, if you're feeling so hot, why don't you try your luck against me?"

The three young martial artists exchanged troubled looks, but no one volunteered to step forward.

"Good," Happosai nodded, "Now that we have that sorted out, Genma, take over."

"Why do I have a feeling that this is going to wind up being a mistake?" asked Kaoih from the sidelines.

"Now dear," Sakura murmured softly, "Have some faith in your father. He may not look like much, but as a trainer he's exceptional."

Both women fell silent in the middle of the wilderness setting while Genma took on a somber tone that all who knew him recognized as Genma the sensei, unquestioned Master of the Saotome Ryu and at the moment the man who commanded respect by din of his full knowledge of the Senken.

"By now you boys know that the Senken was originally created by me as a means for breaking and entering a house," he began, "And the principle for both the Yamasenken and Umisenken are the same in that regard, treating the body as a house for either loud or quiet penetration. However…these are only the Earth and Water applications. One is the Hard system, the other is the Soft, but there are more than two elemental schools of thought in the martial arts, and that is why you boys will each train to create and perfect an entirely new system.

"You Boy," he turned to regard Ryu Kumon, "Your system is the Earth, and it's a powerful technique that can overwhelm the normal defenses of almost any opponent…but it remains purely an attack style with very few defensive moves, as you learned for yourself when you went against Ranma. The Earth is presently both your strength and your ultimate limitation, but a different elemental school could balance you out and make you a much stronger martial artist, therefore I propose that you study the philosophy of Wood, the natural compliment of Earth, which is itself a purely defensive system."

"A defensive system?" Ryu asked, "How will that make me a stronger fighter?"

"The Umisenken is Water," Genma revealed, "It is both an attack and defensive style…like water itself, which can overwhelm like a flood or absorb impact like a pool. Water cannot be beaten into submission, it remains the same no matter what you do with it. When you attacked Ranma it was like striking at water, and all you did was commit yourself and leave yourself open to a counter offensive, which is why you lost the battle."

"I lost the battle because I couldn't see his movements," Ryu replied, "That trick with making himself less noticeable threw me off so I couldn't see his attacks coming."

"That wasn't it, Boy," Genma sniffed, "You lost because you lacked a proper foundation from which to mount a defense. You know the Umisenken and how it works now, you could be better armed to anticipate his attacks and still not be able to counter. Take for example when you used the Demon Deep Sea Chasm against Ranma's first rate Demon God Fall Back to Earth counter-offensive…it created a vacuum that sucked in the very sack of debris that Ranma threw on top of you, and as such you doubled the effectiveness of his technique, and if the boy hadn't been there to protect you, you might have been crushed under the weight of all that metal."

"All right, so I didn't see that one coming," Ryu frowned, "So how does the Wood style improve on my Earth-based technique?"

"That should be obvious," Genma's glasses gleamed in amusement, "A tree grows up from the Earth, it takes its roots in fertile soil. With a strong foundation a house can withstand any force used against it…wind, tornadoes, earthquakes and flooding…"

"A strong foundation?" Ryu asked with a curious expression, "A strong set of roots? But…how can something like that be used to fend off an attack?"

"Answer that for yourself, Boy," Genma smiled, "How would you keep a burglar from breaking into a house?"

"Well…ah…" Ryu paused, "I never really thought of it before…"

"Then think on it well," Genma replied, "Instead of viewing the body as a house to break into, view yourself as a body that needs to protect itself against attack. Draw from the strength of the Yamasenken to think of a way to defend the house instead of destroy it. If your father had known that, then the Kumon dojo would never have fallen."

"A strong defense based upon the Yamasenken?" Ryu said, "Teach this to me! I must learn this at once!"

"No boy," Genma shook his head, "I can't teach you that…I barely even started to learn myself when the accident happened. You're going to have to reach into yourself to learn the technique, and I know you have it in you. You must use the power of your imagination to concentrate upon the Senken and learn from it…let it teach you, think of yourself as a house and know how it can be defended."

"Think of myself as a house?" Ryu blinked, "I can do that?"

"Don't ask me, Son," Genma smiled, "You'll have to think on that for yourself…but also think of what is at stake in a house, what needs to be defended. When you have the answer to that, then you will know the Morisenken."

"The Morisenken?" Ryu balled his fists and said, "All right…I'll do it!"

"Good," Genma said, "And when you have mastered the technique that you yourself will create, you will demonstrate it against Ryoga and Ranma, who will each themselves be mastering a new system. Then truly with the Kumon dojo rise once more from the ashes."

Ryo's eyes shone with defiant pride as he reached this same conclusion, and the fierce dedication that had driven him to master the Yamasenken now prompted him to nod his head and say, "I'll do it."

"Good," Genma nodded before turning to the next boy and saying, "Ryoga…you have studied both the Saotome and the Righteous Fist techniques, but the Umisenken is not suited to you as you would have trouble maintaining the calm and detached mindset that is needed to erase all trace of yourself from an opponent. You're far too blunt and direct, much like your mother, so you will create and master the Metal school of Weapons, which compliments nicely your mastery of the stone-breaking technique known as the Bakusai Tenketsu."

"The Metal school of weapons?" Ryoga repeated.

"The Kosenken," Genma affirmed, "A house is build with tools such as a hammer, saw, hatchet, screwdriver and nails…think of a house being put together using these instruments, or taken apart with a crowbar, a wrecking ball, an ax or a buzz saw. Think of a house as having boards and panels arranged about a wooden frame, then think of how you would build a house from pouring the foundations to driving the last nail in the roof shingles. Concentrate on these things and then imagine doing them without the use of tools, turning your hands and feet into the instruments of either construction or destruction. Then practice the same by improvising weapons."

"I'll try sir," Ryoga nodded, "Think of building up and taking down a house…I think I can do that…"

"I thought our school frowned on using weapons, Pop," Ranma noted with a slight frown.

"Our creed is 'Anything Goes,' Son," Genma replied, "And you used a bokken in the middle of your fight against Ryu, so it's not as if you can talk on that subject."

"Heh, point taken," Ranma smiled, "So, what do you have in store for me?"

"You, my boy," Genma smiled, "Will study the Fire school of the Honosenken."

"Honosenken?" Ranma repeated, "You mean…set fire to the house?"

"That would be one part of the style," Genma smiled, "Or, on the other hand, you could study how to avoid a fire, or how best to put it out. Since you'll be evolving and creating the style for yourself, you can be the judge of what techniques to use. Just think of a fire rushing through a building and that will be your key to creating this new Senken. Think well on your technique as you evolve your moves, and even how you name them, because you'll be using them on the other two boys by the end of the week when you go up against their Morisenken and Kosenken."

"And to add extra incentive to this little three-way match you boys will be having," Happosai smiled, "The winner of the contest will go on to learn an entirely new technique that I'll be teaching…the Arishisenken…"

"Arishisenken?" Ryu asked.

"The Arial School?" Ryoga asked, "What's that?"

"Uh-uh," the little man waved a finger, "That would be getting ahead of yourselves. I'll only explain that technique when one of you emerges the winner in the match to be held next week, but I will say that mastering this Ryu will make one the absolute master of the Senken arts, so decide for yourselves which one of you will be strong enough for that honor?"

All three boys exchanged looks, then Ryu said, "I'll do it."

"I'm in," Ryoga nodded.

"Sounds good to me," Ranma affirmed, "When do we get started?"

"We already have," Genma replied, "All three of you will study apart from one another, and the Master and I will be checking on you from time to time to see what progress you've made, if any. No cheating by sneaking up or studying each other's moves…it will be purely a surprise for each of you when you meet here next week to decide who is the true Master of the Senken."

"So there you have it, Boys," Happosai smiled, "Train well and train hard. You can see each other at morning, lunch and evening when you meet here for your meals and a good rest, but for the rest of the day you're to keep well apart form one another, agreed?"

The three boys assented, and then exchanged looks before smiling a mutual smile, the gleam of competition and budding rivalry clearly showing itself as each one looked determined to prove himself the superior fighter.

"I hope the boys won't work themselves too hard," Kaoih remarked from where she sat on a log on the sidelines.

"You sound as if you've already chosen a favorite," Sakura mused, "I wonder who that might be…your brothers, or young Kumon-san."

"Mother…" her daughter immediately glowered.

"It's all right with me if you want to spend time with him, encouraging him to do his best," Sakura revealed, "Just as long as you don't miss out on your studies and practice. Remember, we still have a show to run until the end of the week. Too bad I can't open this up to the public, though…imagine the sale we could have…the tickets people would pay to see three top-notch fighters such as these go at it all out to prove which of them is the superior martial artist."

"I just hope nobody gets hurt," Kaoih sighed softly, "I don't know how you ever put up with this sort of thing in the old days, Mom."

"Sometimes I wonder myself," Sakura smiled, "But there's one technique that always worked for me…I never bet against Genma. No matter what happened, I knew he'd always come out on top in the end."

"So…who do I bet on this time around?" Kaoih wondered.

"Let your heart tell you the answer to that," Sakura revealed, "It never fails to know, and even if you're wrong, you don't mind following the path to wherever it will lead you."

"Thanks, Mom," Kaoih smiled, "You're one of the best. I think I'll do just that," and with that she stood up and all but hop, skipped and jumped her way to the side of Ryu.

"Hey," Kaoih said cheerfully, "Going off to train by yourself?"

"It's what I have to do," Ryu replied, "I must master this new system if I am to redeem the Senken and bring honor to the name of the Kumon dojo."

"Well, don't let me stop you," the brown haired girl said brightly, "But I hope you don't mind if I wish you luck. I know you'll probably be spending a lot of time meditating, exercising and working up a sweat, but I just want you to know that I'll be waiting back at camp for you with a hot lunch, and you'd better show up or I'll come find you and make you eat it."

"I…say what?" Ryu blinked his eyes, looking as though he had been totally blind-sided by the offer.

Ranma and Ryoga just blinked their eyes at this, though only one of the two boys seemed to have a clue to what was clearly in the offing. Genma just looked on and silently nodded in tacit approval.

Sakura heaved a motherly sigh and said, "How did I know she would do that? But then again, she is her mother's daughter…"

Continued

Comments/Criticisms/Squaring the Cubed root: Shadowmane@msn.com