Project A-Ko Fan Fiction ❯ Project A-Ko: New Adventures of Supergirl! ❯ Chapter 17

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Injustice League
 
"I still think that Injustice League is a stupid name," Metallix complained, the silver metal woman watching covertly as they waited.
 
Scarecrow watched with academic interest as the battle went on, her fingers gently toying with one of her vials of fear-chemical. The black haired woman smiled, her labcoat swirling around her as she commented, "It's not like there are many alternatives."
 
"Villainy Incorporated?" Vox offered, the tall blonde walking away from where she had been fighting a group of federal agents. The ambush would probably have worked against a normal criminal, but her sonic gifts had made short work of the officers. Dressed in her simple red and black bodysuit Vox cut a fine if deadly looking figure.
 
Roulette shook her head, her red hair flowing around her. "Last time I checked Lex Luthor had been organizing his allies under that name," she said, adjusting her gambler's clothes, "and I wouldn't want to annoy him into coming out of retirement."
 
"I thought he was dead?" Metallix looked startled.
 
"No one's found the body," Vox replied dryly.
 
"And with someone like Luthor," the young lady said, her golden cowl covering her face, "you'd better be sure."
 
"True enough, Rival," Scarecrow admitted, studying her thoughtfully.
 
Rival was one of their newest arrivals, a super-speedster with a deadly hatred for the Flashes. Originally Rival fought the 1940's Flash, but was reborn in the modern era by possessing others with the powers of speed. First the obscure hero Max Mercury fell, then others. Now Rival inhabited the body of Jesse Chambers, once called Jesse Quick, and had reshaped her form to it's own needs. Blonde hair went black, aged flesh restored to youthful vitality and the body's original spirit was exiled to the mysterious energy called Speed Force.
 
"Did you deal with that upstart, Zoom?" Roulette asked her curiously.
 
"Young Mister West," Rival smiled with cold amusement. "The fact he was named for Jay Garrick made killing him all the sweeter."
 
Vox shrugged casually. "Any luck finding out where the hell Enchantress went to?" she asked her companions as they advanced on the government building.
 
"She'll be here when we need her," Roulette said firmly, silently adding, 'I hope.'
 
The voice echoed in her mind, 'You have done well so far, little one.'
 
'About time you contacted me again,' Roulette answered with amusement.
 
'I've been a little busy,' there was a gentle mocking in the tone.
 
'Of course,' Roulette answered dryly. 'You know, it would be nice to have a name to call you,' she added, 'if only to convince me that I'm not talking to myself.'
 
There was a moment of silence. 'You may call me.... Cylene,' she finally said.
 
'So why are you contacting me now?' Roulette asked.
 
'A-ko and her allies are expanding the League,' Cylene explained seriously, Roulette seeing the mental image of a delicate blonde 'you may need to look into expanding your own ranks to match.'
 
'Thank you,' Roulette answered.
 
'You're welcome,' and with that Cylene's voice and presence faded away.
 
"You have the oddest look on your face," Metallix said as Roulette became aware of the world around her.
 
"Our sponsor contacted me," Roulette ran a hand through her hair, "it seems that the Justice League has been busy recruiting."
 
"Then I guess we'll just have to step up our own efforts," Scarecrow said casually as she tapped a device to activate the fear-bombs that had been planted in the building earlier. In seconds screams and fear filled cries rang out, then the front doors burst open and people streamed outside, running right by the group of women.
 
"What did you do to them?" Vox raised an eyebrow, looking without pity at the pale, tear streaked faces of the men and women.
 
"Claustrophobia," Scarecrow explained simply, "along with the fear that their air might be running out if they stayed indoors."
 
"Nasty," Metallix calmly ripped the front doors off and lead the others inside the building. All her teammates slipped air filters on, but the living metal woman had little fear of poisonous gasses.
 
"So why are we hitting a little FBI office out in Nebraska, anyway?" Rival asked coldly.
 
"All the FBI offices are on the same secure network," Vox informed her, "so we can use this office to hack into the others for criminal datafiles we might need." She smiled coldly, "Not to mention implanting a virus into the federal systems."
 
Rival nodded slightly, her eyes crinkling in amusement. "Oh, I'm going to enjoy seeing what all of this does," she answered.
 
"Do you have any suggestions for new recruits?" Scarecrow asked as they went upstairs, found a computer terminal and let Metallix get to work. It was eerie to see, the way that her hands distended, flowing into the computer as she interfaced directly with the systems.
 
"Nyssa, the daughter of the Demon's Head," Roulette answered crisply, "she's a power in her own right, as well as holding part of her fathers empire."
 
"Sounds good," Metallix agreed. She cocked her head to the side, "Have you considered the new Prometheus?"
 
"Too unpredictable," Vox spoke up from where she was keeping an eye out at the window, "not to mention the rumors that she plays both sides of the law."
 
"Didn't know that," Rival noted. She smiled coldly, "There is another being who might be useful, the Silver Banshee."
 
"To use against Supergirl," Roulette nodded thoughtfully, "we'll have to look into it." she looked to Metallix, who was smirking, "How's it going?"
 
"I've downloaded the DEO, FBI and police files on active superbeings," Metallix informed them as she pulled free, "and the virus has been unleashed."
 
"That was fast," Scarecrow said crisply. Her eyes glittered with an odd kind of intensity as she asked, "Do they list the subject's.... fears?"
 
"I'll download what they've got onto a disk for you," Metallix paused as alarms rang out again, "later. Shall we see what's going on?"
 
Roulette smiling grimly, "Vox, care to make us a shortcut?"
 
Vox put her hand on the wall, nodding slightly. "Cover your ears," she commanded and began to scream. It started as a low sound, vibrating the bones then swiftly rose to a wail that staggered the women around her. The wall she directed that sound at crumbled in seconds, the outer wall beyond that only holding up a few seconds longer.
 
Rival raced out first, the female superspeedster dropping men and women in the police detachment faster than the eye could possibly see. In a moment nearly eight of the officers were down, blood splattering them from the viscous blows she had struck.
 
"Aw, she didn't leave anything for us," Metallix complained as she lead the way out.
 
"I'll remind her to save us a few next time," Roulette said dryly, shaking her head.
 
Once the group reached the impatiently waiting Rival Vox curiously asked her, "Did you have to kill any of them?"
 
"They're small change," Rival wiped her red gloves off smoothly, "no need." A smile, "Now if they were Flash or Impulse...."
 
"Don't get distracted too much by your personal agenda," Scarecrow reminded her.
 
There was a feeling of electricity in the air, almost a breathless anticipation, then with a crack of thunder the air split. Enchantress floated down from where she had appeared, her black cloak flowing over the white business suit she now wore. "I'm ready to take you to the base," the black haired sorceress said, the madness in her eyes showing little sign of the heroine known as Zatanna.
 
"Then let's go," Roulette said wryly.
 
To be continued....