Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Avatar ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: This is a parody inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and Nickelodeon. All characters (that I have not created or borrowed from other sources) belong to them . This is a fan fiction, and is
not intended to violate the rights of those who hold control over the Ranma 1/2 and Avatar:The Last Airbender series. I have no money for legal problems and would very much appreciate it if no one tries to sue me. Thank you very much.
 
A thanks to AYH for their help in editing some of the content of this and the last chapter.
 
Wild Avatar
By HVulpes
Chapter Seven
 
The six people were walking their way up the path to the walls of Omashu that protected it from danger. Aang was speaking to them as they walked, "You guys are gonna love Omashu. The people here are the friendliest in the world." It was then that they all hear a rough voice talking near by.
 
Looking around they saw that a merchant was trying to get into the city but was being stopped by three guards. "Rotten Cabbages!" spoke one of the guards adding, "What kind of slum do you think this is." As the group took a closer look at things they saw a merchant with a cart that was full of cabbages. He was dressed totally in green and was watching the guard as the officer was holding one of the cabbages that he was trying to sell.
 
Soon the vegetable was crumpled into garbage as the guard then knocked the arm of the vender causing the cabbages in the seller's arms to tumble over the side of the high road. Stamping hard on the ground the guard caused a chunk of rock to flinging the cart into the air and over the side of the road as well, causing it and its contents to fall hundreds of feet.
 
"Noo! My Cabbages! “The man cried as he looked over at his product fall into the trench, lamenting his losses.
 
The gang looked at the gate, with Aang and those native to this world looking like that were a little nervous to go forward. Ranma and the women warriors with him looked like they were not afraid, but they seemed to be bracing for something that would be coming up. Aang just told them to, "Keep on smiling..." The avatar walked forward with a smile as Katara laughed with a little anxiety, all of them moving forward.
 
The same guard that had devastated the cabbage seller moved a huge boulder from the ground and held it over the avatar's head. "State your business!” the officer commanded.
 
Aang moved forward with surprising speed and pointed a finger at the guard and spoke with an aged voice, "My business is my business, young man and none of yours. I have half a mind to bend you over my knee and paddle your backside." The guard dropped the stone in surprise as he was confronted by the older looking man. Sokka and Katara looked on with fear as Ranma and Shampoo stood there smiling and holding their ground.
 
Cologne came up to Aang and said, "Remember your blood pressure, honey." She placed her hand on Aang's pointing arm and was looking like she was soothing him. Acting like his wife might as was the roll that they had decided on earlier.
 
"Thank you, mam. Now can you just tell me who are?" asked the guard, glad that someone was keeping things calm and orderly.
 
"Name's Bonzu Pipinpadaloxicopolis, the third, and this are my wife and grandkids." Aang said continuing his old man voice.
 
"I'm Song Pipinpadaloxicopolis, deary," said Cologne adding, "I'm sorry about his behavior. He's always been a little touchy."
 
"And I'm June Pipinpadaloxicopolis, nice to meet you." Katara said with a serene smile.
 
The officer pointed to Katara and Cologne saying, "You two seem to be responsible ladies. See that Mr. Pipinpadaloxicopolis stays out of trouble. Enjoy Omashu."
 
"We will." piped up Katara said at they waited for the signal to enter. The guard motioned them to pass, which they did with Ranma taking the rear.
 
"Wait a minute." The soldier said as he grabbed Ranma, which caused the boy to tense up for a second. "You're a strong young boy. Show some respect to the elderly and carry your grandfather's bag." With that Ranma relaxed his muscles as he sensed that the fight that he thought was going to happen was not happening.
 
"Good idea!" Aang said as he threw his bag to Ranma who caught it with no effort. Ranma just smiled like he was ashamed of himself. The gang looked to the solid wall that faced them, which then began to move to the sides as the stone parted. As they moved into the city, Momo began to move which caused his ears to poke out of Aang's wig just as the rocks closed.
 
The gang looked out on the city as they stood on a railed platform. They saw many houses with roofs painted in the color of the Earth Kingdom, greens of every shade and hue. Chutes covered the city with packages and crates zooming up and down those same chutes. Before anyone else could speak, Cologne spoke up.
 
"I think that we might have to split up. It looks like the Avatar has some plans of his own if I am judging that look right. I have a few things that I want to look up while I am in the city, as this might be the place to find what I am looking for. A city like this might have secrets that could be useful on our travels or there might even be a way home for us to use the hidden back alleys of this city." Cologne said as she pointed out her mission.
 
"So you will meet us back at Appa when you're done? I'm not sure that might be a good idea if the guards start to ask questions why we're not together." Katara said as she wondered what it was that they would do next.
 
"Shampoo knows the answer to this problem, the ancient Amazon technique of chi tracking. It is one of the first techniques that an Amazon hunter is taught so that she could find both food and enemies. By focusing their minds on the chi of the person they are looking for, one can track the person even if that person has moved miles away from the hunter. This is how Shampoo tracked Ranma across a sea and on a foreign island." Shampoo told the rest of them as she smiled.
 
"That and the fact that Aang has one of the largest signatures of chi in the world, if not the largest, should make him easy to track. As long as you stay with him or with either Shampoo or my self, we should be able to find each other at the end of the day." Cologne said as she spoke to the group. "So what are your plans?"
 
"I want to show you the chute system of the city. It has miles and miles of tubes that use gravity to send the crates down and earthbending to send the crates up." Aang told them as they turned to look at the crates move on their way through out the city's landscape.
 
"Great, so they get their mail on time." Sokka said as he tried to brush it off as they looked at the day to day use of the tubes.
 
"They do get their mail on time, but my friend Bumi found a better use for the chutes..." Aang smiled with much mischief. His mind went back a hundred years ago.
 
Omashu, a hundred years ago...
 
A boy with orange hair tinted up with a headband looked at the city then turned to look at Aang as they stood before the chute. They boy smiled with a lost tooth and with slight insanity to his grin. "Look around you, what do you see?" he asked Aang.
 
"Ummm... the mail system?" Aang responded.
 
In a tone that hinted at conspiracies, "Instead of seeing what they want you to see, you gotta open your brain to the possibilities."
 
"A package delivery system?" Aang was looking confused at his friend's words.
 
"The world's greatest super slide!” Bumi said as they looked down at the chute, which from their point of view did look like a super slide.
 
"Bumi, you're a mad genius." Aang smiled at his friend's idea as Bumi grinned then snorted in laughter.
 
Flash forward, a hundred years...
 
"So I take it that you're going to take a trip using these super slides?" Cologne asked as Aang nodded with great excitement as he looked at his friend hoping that they would be coming with him.
 
"I'm sure that Sokka and I would love to go with you on the ride." Katara said as she looked at her brother.
 
"Sure, it sounds like fun." Sokka said as he looked at Aang with a smile.
 
"It sounds like fun, but I think that I wanna learn more about this chi tracking thing. Plus there are a few moves that I wanna go through so that I know what it is that I am doing while I airbend." Ranma said as he thought about the new technique that he wanted to learn and the moves that he wanted to master.
 
"Well, I can't have you slowing me down, son-in-law. So you're going to have to stay with Shampoo. That way she can find me and Aang. As long as Katara and Sokka stay with Aang, both of us should be able to track him as well as each other." Cologne said as she noticed that Ranma tensed with the son-in-law comment.
 
"Alright, I'll go with Shampoo and she can teach me this technique. She might even be able ta help me train with my martial arts as well. Even with the moves that sensei Aang has been teaching, I don't want my older skills going rusty while I'm in this world. Pops would kill me if that happened." Ranma said as he looked at Shampoo. She just smiled softly as he looked at her.
 
"It would be Shampoo's honor to teach Ranma," Shampoo was trying her best to hold back her emotions especially the joy that she felt to be with her beloved in this city. She knew that she needed more control over her emotions if she wanted to catch Ranma's heart. "We will look for a park so that we can practice where there is some space for us to move."
 
With that Cologne and the two groups separated for the day they were spending in the city of Omashu, each one looking to make the most out of their visit to this city in the Earth Kingdom.
 
Meanwhile, in another part of the city of Omashu...
 
"You must concentrate on expanding your senses, expanding that which you know as danger sense so instead of picking up harmful intent you pick up the feeling of chi being naturally released by the body. Only by doing this will you be able to find a person with chi and learn the secrets of the Hero Women tribe's chi tracking technique," Shampoo explained trying to teach Ranma the skills that he would need to use the technique that she used often. She had spent weeks learning to perfect the art of tracking that her people used to survive in the hinterlands of China while avoiding the harsh government of her homeland.
 
She had decided to use as a target one of the easiest figures to track in this world, Aang the Avatar. The young boy had more power than anyone else in this world, with a surging of chi that could be easily found by anyone who had the skill of tracking that energy. Even now, Shampoo could feel the location of the Avatar as he went his separate way with the other natives of this world. The Amazon was now using that as a tool to teach Ranma, for if he could point out the direction of Aang from the park that they were practicing in he would have learned the skill's basic elements.
 
Ranma was sitting before Shampoo in the lotus position, his eyes closed as he concentrated his sense on the matter at hand. He was breathing in deeply and in a regular pattern as his eyes twitched behind their lids, a fine glow of chi rising off him as he directed all of his energies in the lesson. It took a few moments before he reacted and raised his arm and pointed. He spoke, "Aang-sensei is in that direction about a half mile from here."
 
"Good, not perfect but still good. You have the direction right, but you are a little off on the distance. But that will improve with more practice." Shampoo was impressed with the speed Ranma had in learning techniques, once he got the basics of the techniques that he was trying to absorb that was. She knew that the distance would be off, it always was for beginners, but it was a start. Ranma opened his eyes and smiled at Shampoo, which caused her to use all of her willpower to stop herself from leaping on to Ranma with a tight hug.
 
"For the next step, you must focus on learning Shampoo's chi. It will not be as powerful as Aang's chi so it will be much harder to find in the crowded city. So Shampoo will confine herself to the area of the park making it easier for you to find Shampoo," she told Ranma as she prepared for the next step of the training, one that would be much harder for Ranma.
 
"What do ya mean find ya? What are ya planning Shampoo?" Ranma asked his voice filled with curiosity about what it was that she was planning.
 
She smiled as she spoke, "We are going to play a little game of hide and seek, which in itself is a good training method for tracking even if it is a children's game. But to make it harder, you are to only use your ability of sensing Shampoo's chi to find Shampoo when she hides. Shampoo is trained in hiding so using your chi tracking will be the only way to find Shampoo," she told him as she tried to bring out her chi aura so that Ranma could focus on it and identify it from other chi signatures.
 
Ranma looked at her hard as he sat in front of her. His senses were open to the fundamental energies that came from Shampoo and all living things. Shampoo knew that it would be like a scent or image of the person, as individual as a fingerprint. By discovering this essence of her nature Ranma should be able to track her from one end of the park to another. With more practice this should be able to expand from a matter of feet to miles and miles of distance between the hunter and the hunted.
 
Ranma relaxed and said, "I think I have it Shampoo. I think that I know your chi aura. I am ready ta play hide and seek with ya."
 
"We will see," was all she said as she disappeared from sight with great speed blending into the mixture of woods and fields that made up the park. Ranma took a breath, stood up and closed his eyes as he used the technique to try and track the young woman and find her hiding place. After a minute, he headed out towards the woods.
 
Elsewhere in the city of Omashu...
 
Cologne was using all the skills that she had developed in gathering information, trying to learn the basics of earthbending so that she could teach her great-granddaughter the art that she had gained from this world. The skills that she used were simple yet varied in nature, each meant to gain as much information about a subject without having said subject discover that you were up to.
 
The first step was observation; using what she could see to help her understand the basic steps. Watching the guards opening the gates when they entered and then studying the transportation system that was used in the city gave her an idea of what kind of martial arts was the basis of earthbending.
 
'It looks like the style that is the base for this power is Hung Gar which makes sense as a user must be deeply rooted with the ground and the strikes of this school were always powerful. It complements the nature of earth and this is the only southern style of martial arts in all of bending. Tai Chi, Ba Gua and Northern-style Shaolin martial arts are all northern styles meant to be used on the vast planes of northern China. Plenty of room for speed moves and leaping that is common in all three schools, which is different from the mountainous regions of the south. In the south, there is less room for speed and jumping so one would have to focus on strength rather than speed.' Cologne thought as she analyzed the martial arts that were the base of the mystical powers.
 
'It would certainly fit Ryoga Hibiki and would fit the opposing element of his feud with son-in-law. Wind and earth battling each other for dominance, it would be an interesting match to watch if the two of them learned the techniques.' Cologne had to admit, but she also wondered, 'Could Shampoo's skills in this art be linked to the fact that we come from a mountain region, much like those where Hung Gar was developed. That could also explain why Ranma has the element of air, which his school seems to be based on. Certainly food for thought,' she mused'
 
'It is fortunate that I know the style, still it will be difficult trying to link the moves of the martial arts with the power of the earth moving. I will need to learn more, so on with the next method of finding out the information that I seek.' Cologne thought as she moved to the next spying technique.
 
She began to approach those that could earthbend and complimented them on their skills, mentioning that they seemed to be better benders than those in her small, poor village. Inflating their egos, she was trying to get an example of earthbending techniques that she could memorize for later use in Shampoos training.
 
The city workers didn't have time to show off their skills, but they did show off their muscles as she commented on their strength. But a few of them pointed her in the direction of a couple of earthbending schools where they had learned their arts. Cologne thought, 'It makes sense since this world is pre-industrial and likely without a printing press. Scrolls would be available only to the rich, so teachers would be the only way to learn.'
 
It soon became clear that the most serious school could be found in a downtown area and was known for being the best non-military training school. It was also known for not giving out ranks due to payouts by patrons, which was a practice that she had always found rather insulting for a true martial artist.
 
'One should be willing to sacrifice blood, sweat and tears for their skills in the art! Not just give out a few coins to get a different color belt that makes you "look" cooler. This school looks like it might be the best bet for me to get trained professionals to demonstrate their art, the best chance that I can learn the link between the moves and skills that will allow me to understand earthbending.' She thought as she reached the gates of the school, adding, 'Time for the sweet, little, old lady routine!'
 
Author's Notes:
 
I am sorry about the delays, but I have been trying to see where this story could go with the events that are occuring. Right now we will be focusing on those from Nerima as Aang's story continues the pretty much the same way as in the City of Omashu.
 
My content writer AYH mentioned that he wasn't sure that Omashu had parks and/or gardens for my scene with Ranma/Shampoo, but couldn't think of a better place for the scene. He did point out that it was vertical and mostly narrow roads and streets. Well, I did some looking up on Wikipedia and used some of my common sense to try and create an answer. This is what I have learned.
 
My hunch is that there would be a park/garden area, as the Chinese and even the Japanese did have gardens. Chinese Gardens tended to look like natural surroundings with ponds in the same area. Most of those garden's were non-symentrical unlike their buildings. Gardens would also make sense for seige warfare as it would provide food for the people to wait out the storm. Like the farms in the rim of Ba Sing Se.
 
Plus during the test that Bumi gave Aang, we did see a garden pit that held Floppsy and a natural cavern with a waterfall. Also Bumi did seem like a King that would have wilderness areas where children could play in the woods while safe in the city.
 
We also have to remember that the City of Omashu is huge, so huge that needs a chute system to transport cargo across the city. We have only seen a little bit of it. But if I am proven wrong, then it was an alterntive Omashu or a Wizard did it. ^_^
 
Well I hope you enjoy it so far.
 
HVulpes