Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Avatar ❯ Chapter Thirteen ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: This is a parody inspired by the work of Takahashi Rumiko and Nickelodeon. All characters (that I have not created or borrowed from other sources) belong to them . This is a fan fiction, and is not intended to violate the rights of those who hold control over the Ranma 1/2 and Avatar:The Last Airbender series. I have no money for legal problemsand would very much appreciate it if no one tries to sue me. Thank you very much.

Wild Avatar

Chapter Thirteen

Ranma was viewing the open sky as they travled over a lush river valley, like something he went through in China during his training trip. They was beautiful with a brilliant sun and fluffy clouds which moved with a slow and lazy pace. Appa was just moving into the path of one of those clouds as he moved along their journey to the North Pole. They had managed to make up some time, thanks to the navigation help of the old ghoul. So Aang was taking this time to relax by leaning back from his perch on top of Appa's head, a reed of something of reed in his mouth.

Katara and Shampoo were stretched out on their tummies as they looked at the ground they were passing. Cologne was sitting down with some paper and a pen, writing out something which she was keeping hidden to all. Sokka was taking this time to whittle a piece of wood with his blade, as Ranma took in all of the activities of his friends while at the same time working on some more martial arts moves. It made him think of home and the manga he had been reading, making use of every special technique and secret they held. Including an idea to use the pressure and movement of the air itself to be able to predict the attacks and motions of the people he would be fighting in the future.

"Those clouds look so soft, don't they? Like you could just jump down and land in a big, soft cottony heap." asked Katara as she continued to go cloudwatching with her older teen friend.

"Maybe you should give it a try?" asked Sokka, being half sarcastic and half pestering to his sister.

Cologne responded instantly, "Not a wise move. Clouds are made of visible water vapour, a form of gasous water. They are about as solid as the air or wind. If you jumped on a cloud, you would fall to the ground and his death. It does bring up an interesting question of if waterbending, airbending or the mix of the two could manipulate the clouds. Perhaps something to try with a training trip while on top of Appa."

"Really, I got to see this." said Aang as he moved from his seat and jumped off the flying bison, straight down and into a cloud. Vanishing within the white mass below, Katara and Sokka jumped up in fear for their Avatar friend. Yet Ranma, and from what he guessed the amazon, made note that Aang had taken his staff when he fell. The same staff which could transform into a glider, the glider which pulled up next to Appa as the water kids turned to look at him.

The soaking wet child began to speak, "Cologne was right, the clouds are made of water."

As Aang began to airbend some warm, dry air to remove the water on him... Katara and her brother gave him a strange look as if they were trying to figure him out. Ranma was trying to hold back laughter at the sight and so was the elder, but something had taken the attention of the purple haired girl. She pointed forward on Appa as she spoke, "Elder, what is that up ahead? Has there been a fire? It doesn't seem like the season for it."

They all took a look at the landscape ahead, which the green band surrounding the river had converted to a black band of decay. It was something which seemed to have fit a massive burning, which caused Sokka to exclaim, "It's like a scar."

It was a few moments later when they landed in the floor of the valley, within the mass of the black decay. Dead and damaged trees with smoke smelling stumps dotted the barren earth. All six of them jumped off the flying cattle, as they examined the destruction. Aang was in the lead as he took in the sight of the harsh environment, Katara was back near their flying friend with Sokka being closer to Aang. Cologne had moved up behind the Avatar as Ranma and Shampoo were looking at some nearby trees.

"Listen, it's so quiet. There's no life anywhere." commented Sokka as he tried to trace the living beings which should have been in the forest. At least before the burning which overtook this area.

Katara had moved up to Avatar as she noticed something wrong with the airbender before asking, "Aang, are you ok?"

Ranma had also moved up to the place where his sensei was sitting and noticed the footprint, one which he was recognizing as the same as the Fire Nation soldiers they had experience with. Everyone else were coming into the sight of the print, which caused Sokka to react with rage.

"Fire Nation! Those evil savages make me sick! They have no respect for anyone! " ranted Sokka, before he saw quited down by Katara. Yet this didn't stop him, "What? I'm not allowed to be angry?"

Everyone turned to look at the youngest bender as he stood ahead, the look of angry crossing his face. He managed to sink to the ground into the dust and sighed sadly. Ranma continued to half listen to the voices of his sensei and Katara as they discuss the events of the man-made forest fire. Aang was raging on how it was his fault and was his duty to protect nature as the Avatar, but Ranma was looking for something which should remain the in ashes. Then he found what he had been looking for.

"Aang, look at this. I don't know too much about things, but I do know somethings. Like how even after a forest fire, nature has a way of fixing thing back ta the way they was. Like these seeds," Ranma said as he passed the acron like seeds, he had found within the dust of burnt wood. Ranma continued with his little speech, "Once the trees come back, then the birds and animals will come back."

Aang took the little object in his hand and closed it around the single plant-to-be, as a ghost of a smile crossed his lips.

Elsewhere in the Avatar world...

Zuko was emerging from a serious of tall reeds, closely followed by Mousse. They were searching for something as they come across a clearing. Zuko was yelling out, "Uncle, It's time to leave! Where are you? Uncle Iroh!"

Mousse placed a hand on the young prince's shoulder as he pointed out what looked like a large fire soldier uniform hanging from a low tree branch. The boy with glasses began to speak, "I don't like what this is hinting at."

They both turned to look near the tree to see what looked like a tub made out of rocks feed by a streams falling from a rock behind it. Soaking in what was hot water from the sight of the water vapour floating up, the lost uncle they were looking for. He sighed happily as he spoke, "Over here."

Zuko was annoyed like he usually was when not in sight of the Avatar. He lectured at his elder, "Uncle? We have to move on, we're closing in on the Avatar's trail and I don't want to lose him!"

Mousse was commenting something to the sound of, "I don't think this is a good idea, Zuko. Maybe we should give him a few moments alone."

Zuko ignored the chinese boy's protest as he listened to the general say, "You look tired, Prince Zuko. Why don't you join me in these hot springs and soak away your troubles."

Zuko was getting angrier at the protest of Mousse which were continuing and the actions of his uncle. He spoke with his repressed rage, "My troubles can not be soaked away, they can only vanish when I have the Avatar. Now let's get going."

"You should take your teacher's advice and relax a little. The temperature is just right. I heated it myself." commented the older man, as he shifted from his position. He put his hands together and began to breathe steam from his nostrils as steam filled the clearing. Zuko and Mousse began to swat the water vapour away.

"Enought! We have to go now! Get out of that water immediately!" said Zuko as Mousse chanted the words, "Bad idea, very bad idea."

"Very well, nephew." commented the general as he rose from the tub. Mousse had already been blocking his eyes since Zuko's last sentence, but the prince himself had gotten the full view of a nude Iroh. Bender's and martial art's reactions caused him to glance away as his hands shielded his eyes. Yet the horror had been witness by the younger teen.

"On second thought, why don't you take another few minutes. Be back at the ship in half an hour or I' leaving without you." was Zuko's stunned reaction as he tried to get the frightful image out of his mind.

The firebender instructor sank into the water and leaned back with a look of joy on his face as he sighed again.

Mousse just kept on asking, "Is he back in the water? Tell me he's back in the water. This is almost as bad as when I saw the old mummy naked, almost."

Back with the Avatar and his friends...

The gang was gathering some of the acorns and other seeds, trying figure away to restore the damage by replanting the seeds. They were so busy with this it was a moment before Katara noticed an old man with a walking stick coming closer to the group of six people and animals. Sokka looked at the man and asked the obvious, "Hey, who are you? "

The man stopped and began to address the group which had gather around. He said, "When I saw the flying bison, I thought it was impossible. But those markings... are you the Avatar child?"

This is the point where Aang looked at Katara and Cologne, who both nodded their heads. He turned to the old man and indicated he was the Avatar.

"My village desperately needs your help." continued the old man as he began to explain.

As time shifted, we turn to a village. The yellow sun was turning the sky pink as it sunk below the hills in the distance. Ranma and friends had been lead to this village, which was an Earth Kingdom given the building materials. Yet most of the wood and stone of the village was smashed and burnt, with harsh scorch marks. The only building which seemed untouched was the largest which seemed to be some kind of city or community hall. Music of mourning and sadness was wavering in the wind from the same huge building. Introductions were given from the old man as a man stepped forward, obviously the head of this village.

"Sir, this young person is the Avatar and these are his friends." spoke the old man to the leader.

"So the rumours of your return are true!" said the man as he bowed before the special child before he continued, "It is the greatest honour of a lifetime to be in your presence."

Aang returned the bow as he his friends followed. The Avatar spoke, "Nice to meeth you two. So is there something I can help you with?"

The chief looked with pain at the Avatar and continued, "I'm not sure."

"Our village is in crisis, he's our only hope. For the last few days at sunset a spirit monster comes and attacks our village. He is Hei-bai, the black and white spirit." explained the old man as the chief seemed to try and find his strength.

"Why is it attacking you? " asked a curious Sokka, trying to get more information which would be useful. Or this was what Aang was thinking, as he tried to stay neutral with the whole affair and retain the duty of the Avatar.

The chief moved to the threshold of the doorway of the main building as he looked at the setting sun. He sigh and began, "We do not know, but each of the last three nights he has abducted one of our own. We are especially fearful because the winter solstice draws near."

"What happens then? Why is the solstice special?" as Shampoo, not knowing anything of what was happening from the look on her face. Ranma was questioning the whole situation as well, but Cologne's face was like ice.

"As the solstice approaches, the natural world and the spirit world grows closer and closer until the line between them is blurred completely." came the answer from the village's old man.

"Hei-bai is already causing devastation and struction. Once the solstice is here, there is no telling what will happen." added the village leader.

"So, what do you want me to do exactly?" asked Aang, continuing to gain insight to this unusual problem.

"Who better to resolve a crisis between our world and the spirit world than the Avatar himself? You are the great bridge between man and spirits." replied the old man which caused Aang to comment back with a lack of confidence.

"Right, that's me." It was after this that Katara called him over to talk in private.

At the same time...

Cologne motioned to Ranma and Shampoo to come closer to her so she can talk. She started things off, "I believe this is a blessing in disguise for us. The information about the solstice seems most important as it is a time where worlds touch on each other. It might be the moment when we can reach from this world to our home one on such a day. We should try to learn more about this as well as the knowledge of the spirit world."

"This shouldn't stop us from helping Aang and the rest of them. There are two of the solsticles a year and this doesn't bring in those equal-knocks things as well. Days of the same length have ta be as powerful as those longer and shorter lengths. So that's about two to four times a year we can work on it. This is important, we can't leave this world at war." said Ranma, making it clear his choice. Shampoo was looking conflicted as it was two people she loved very much seeming to head to a major arguement.

Cologne took in the positions of all involved and answered them, "I do believe there are at least two days we can use and it will take us time to learn the methods of travelling between worlds, enough time to help this world heal and seek the balance it needs. However, I do not think this means we have to ignore any helpful information we might need to return home. Knowledge is power and we must gather as much of it as we can.

What we should be doing now is aiding Aang as he seemed to be missing this part of his education of being an Avatar. He doesn't have any experience with the spirit world from the look on his face just now. We must do what we can to aid in his protection as well as uncover the secrets of this Hei-bai spirit which is troubling these people. My suggest is that Ranma take a point to defend Aang if he gets into trouble while Shampoo uses her earthbending as a shield against the beast and for the people of this village. I will bring this up with Aang and the others as well as look at their plans."

Elsewhere...

Iroh was still soaking in his outdoor hot spring bath, which was made more comical due to the snores of the old general. A jolt of movement cross the old man as he listened to a sound coming from the brush. He spoke out loudly, "Uh? Who's there?"

Iroh looked around the clearing as he look at the forest for anything, when a small rodent jumped onto the lip of the bath. Iroh softened as he held out his hand and the vole jumped into it, "A meadow vole! I should have known. You startled me, little one."

Iroh let the vole go and placed his hands behind his back as he relaxed again, "Ehh, seems I've dozed off and missed my nephew's deadline, but it was a very sweet nap."

The vole started to hop up and down on the lip of the tub, amking chittering noises, but stopped. Just as the ground started shaking from the woods and turned to witness dustclouds moving closer before hopping away. Before the old soldier could react, a tremor moved to the bath from three directions, before moving the tub walls in a way to form a prison of trianges made from stone. Seconds later, three earthbenders appeared next to the tub behind each of the three triangle stones. A fourth Earth Kingdom solider have moved to the tree holding Iroh's uniform and picked it up as he moved to the former tub.

"He's a Fire Nation solider" commented the solider to an officer who was walking up to the bath.

"He's no ordinary soldier. This is the Fire Lord's brother, the Dragon of the West, the once great General Iroh. Now, he's our prisoner." commented what was the captain as he looked at the old man.

Iroh squinted unhappily at the situation as he tried to think of a way out. None was obvious. He knew what he could expect, chains to prevent him from moving his feet and hands for bending as well as being made helpless as possible. While his brother would not pay ransom for Iroh, the Earth Kingdom might not care if they got a chance to sentance him to death for his actions in the war. The ironic thing is that the Fire Lord would welcome this as another reason to increase the hostilities against the Water Tribes and the Earth Kingdom as payback for the death of a matyr.

'Looks like I'm going for a trip. Sorry, I won't be back soon Zuko.'

Back to the Earth Kingdom village...

The sun had almost made it completely down the hills and night was coming soon. Aang stood in front of the main building as Ranma stood next to him, the door behind them was closed as tight as possible. The Avatar continued forward as he was followed by Ranma as the former spoke, "Hello? Spirit, can you hear me? This is the Avatar speaking. I'm here to try to help and stuff..."

As they appraoched the village gate, the eyes of Katara and the others were on them from the windows of the building. All of them worried at the actions. Aang continued to stand at the gate, looking for the beast. He asked, "The sun has set. Where are you, Hei-bai? Well, spirit, uh, I hereby ask you to please leave this village in peace."

The Air Nomad's staff was twirled like a helecoptor blade before being planted into the ground like a rod. Aang was staring down the situation before him and was trying to see what was going to cause the trouble. The Avatar believing he had done his job spoke, "Okay. I guess that's settled then."

The twelve year old turned to return to the centre of the village and the main building, when Ranma stops him and says, "Listen, can't you here it?"

The bald boy turned and listen to the sound of strange whispers, as moments ticked away. As they looked a huge shape took form from the woods, as it's feet made sounds like rumbling thudding noises each time they hit the ground. The creature was big as a house, as big as the community house. Six legs were divided between four huge ones and two smaller ones. It was black and white with markings of somekind of prediator, with the razor sharp teeth to match. Aang and Ranma looked up the monster as it craned it's neck down so it's super-0sized mouth as at their level. Both of them tried to smile in a non-threating manner and make a move which would prevent them from getting eaten.