Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma no Go? ❯ An end of a journey, parting with a dear friend ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Ranma no Go?

Summary : One night Genma carried Ranma away from home to go on a training journey. They went to make a stop at an antique shop to sell something that Genma stole and there Ranma met Sai for the first time. After that, Ranma and Sai continues to influence each other and after a brief conversation one night, Ranma resolved to learn Go for his friend. They finally arrived in a temple with monks that plays Go. Sai finally played with opponents other than Ranma. After they departed from the temple, finally they start their last leg of their training journey to China. At last, Genma is going to end Ranma's martial art training in Anything Goes at the legendary pool or sorrow 'Jusenkyo'. After the fated training in Jusenkyo, Sai, Ranma and his old man went to the Chinese Amazon Village to seek for a cure. There, Ranma was given a gift from the Cologne (Khu Lon) when he is leaving the Village. Now, let's get on with the show shall we!

Disclaimer : I do not own nor do I take any profit from this and also I am NOT the owner of the following series : 'Ranma 1/2' and 'Hikaru no Go'. They are the property of the authors of those series and If I do own those series I won't be writing this fic would I?

Note : By the way, if there's anyone who are interested to make omakes for this fic since I'm not creative enough to make one, please send me a message. I'd really appreciate it!

"..." Dialogues

'...' Thoughts

'...' Special Emphasis


Chapter 05 : An end of a journey, parting with a dear friend


Ranma, 15 Years old, After Leaving Amazon Village

After finished listening to his Father's grumble of being forced on a diet, Ranma finally snapped and felt that he need to show how much he appreciates his old man's behaviour. Nowadays, Ranma is more often than not, able to gain the upper hand when he spars with his father, forcing the older man to take out more skills from his bag of tricks.

However, he is also starting to realize how strong his father really is as he knows that even though his father is very lazy, Genma is also one hell of a martial artist. When he compares the his old man's skill to his other sensei's, he guessed that his father is actually several levels higher than his past senseis and that is not counting if his father to fight deviously.

It is truly a regret that he was not able to get a chance to play with the Amazon Elders as he knew without a doubt that they are on a similar level where he resides. No matter though, from their unforeseen side trip brought an unexpected prize them-self. Sai now knew that Ranma is could hold his own against other players (Annihilating them on the Go-ban except against another masters) and he is able to play quality games everyday against Ranma. Today, he is remembering a dream that he had last night as it held a very important message to him.

/Flashback/

"Sai... the time has come" A misterious voice reverberates around the surroundings.

"Who? What do you mean the time has come?" Sai replied, confused as he tries to see through the fog that surrouds him.

"Your time in this realm will soon come to an end" The voice continued.

"What do you mean? Are you saying that I will soon have to leave the living plane?" Sai was getting desperate as he asked the voice that told those statements to him.

"Tomorrow..." And after the voice said that word, Sai felt the presense speaking in his dream leaves.

/Flashback ends/

He realized from a long time ago that God has been very kind to him as they had given him chance to continue to play go, however, the warning is too soon and he felt that he still hasn't done enough. In the end, After thinking what he should do before he leave to the next plane, Sai decided to spend his day as he usually do, conversing with Ranma through his mind and discussing past games that is worth remembering.

Ranma could feel something was off but he could not find what is different. Sai is acting normally and his old man is also behaving normally although Sai seemed a bit off somehow. They spent their day in their cursed form as there was light drizzle along the road and he ignored it favoring to discuss the games he played in the past with Sai.

One thing that he realize was very similar between Sai and him is their obsession to their art. Though, he is also thinking of the gift that Elder Khu Lon had given him before he left the village. Within the small bundle, he found that it contained an old tome with ancient Chinese writing written in front of it and a small carved wooden box that was full of unique design of carving all over the box that is made from a material that he does not recognize, and a short letter from Elder Khu Lon.

The letter from Elder Khu Lon described in her letter that the martial art style contained within the tome was created very long ago where the amazon tribe has yet to settle in Qing Hai province of China. The creator of the style was a male that came to the aid of a group of female amazons that is seeking a new place to live in. They became close friend and he decides to journey along with them when they finally arrives near Jusenkyo and decided to live there.

In the twilight of his life, the creator of the style said that he wants to pass on his style to someone who loves go as much as he is but alas he could not find a suitable successor. In his deathbed he requested to pass on the style when they find a young someone who loves go and have the potential to master the style he had created. A very strange request but Khu Lon followed her instinct to pass on the inheritance to Ranma as there are nobody that could access the tome in the village and she hopes that Ranma could be the one to access it as he had been the first male that she found that could play Go as good as she is. Ranma wondered why the old martial art master would not train a successor himself but who was he to complain. Though he need to find a dictionary to find out the meaning of the words written inside the book if the writing on the front page is a sign of what it contains. He swore to himself that he would learn the style as soon he is able to translates the ancient writings.

Sai had decided that he should play one last match with his student where he will bring his all into the game to show Ranma his 'true Go' and to pass on what he could into Ranma. He knew that Ranma has yet to finish growing and he regrets that he would not be Ranma's opponent when they both will finally came as an equal but he will take what he could get.

At the very least, he is content in this life(or unlife) time that was granted to him. Even if he intuitively know how much Ranma had improved, Sai wanted Ranma to continue to grow and play go after he leave and he is worried that Ranma will stop playing Go after he leave and that will not do. He want Ranma to show he world the joy of Go and at the very least his student will have to play when he had the chance.

'It's too bad I could not write a letter so I would have to say what I needed to say directly. Tonight...' Sai thought to himself.

The moon hangs on the night sky and Ranma finally closed his eyes to finally take a break from his late night training. However what is confusing him is the fact that he is still feeling like he is still fresh and awakened.

As he look to his surrounding he recognize that he is at some sort of terrace made of wood similar to the description he had heard before from Sai when he is still very young. Focusing his eye at the wooden terrace, Ranma found Sai sitting in 'Seiza' style in front of a Go-ban with his eye closed.

'Sai? What is he doing here? Am I really dreaming? If so why does everything felt very real?' Ranma thought as he tried to process everything in his mind.

While Ranma was processing all this, Sai opens his eyelid and turn his head toward Ranma's direction.

As their eyes met, what could not be conveyed easily with word was understood with a simple eye contact. A bond of trust and understanding between the two of them borne through their growth could be seen within that instance. After that, Sai returns his eyesight and focused to look at the Go-ban in from of him.

Ranma immediately understand and he walk slowly towards the Go-ban. He sat and wait for a signal from Sai. As he look at Sai, he recognize Sai's seriousness at this single match between them. He do not know why but he knew that he would never let Sai down if Sai really want this.

After a brief moment of silence, Sai finally break it with a simple word.

"Nigiri"

Both of them lift their hand toward the Go-ke located near them and the first move goes to Ranma.

'Klak'

Ranma starts with 'tengen', one of his favored move if he was first due to the many variations and flexibility that the move provided. Even though he knew that it was meaningless to his current opponent who knew his Go as much as he himself knew Sai's Go. He decided he would not show anything less than his best toward his mentor.

'Klak'

Sai replied with an equally bold move that made Ranma lift his right eyebrow by a millimeter, a habit he recognize when Ranma is reading various scenarios that he is going to play.

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak'

Both of them exchanges moves with similar tempo while they slowly occupy the corners and build a ground foundation before the true battle.

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak'

As the game reached the 16th move, Ranma began the confrontation as he put a stone that if left alone will threaten Sai's territory on the upper-left corner.

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak'

Sai replied instantly with a move close Ranma's territory that will force Ranma to slow down his invasion and will open a path to the center.

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak'

'So he will move there, how to best counter this' Ranma read ahead to foresee several move ahead that will bring the battle to his advantage. He decided to create a fake bait that will be not quite obvious that will make Sai curious while the true trap will only be seen if Sai block what is supposed to be his obvious move.

'Klak'

'Hmm... curious... I wonder what is Ranma thinking?' Sai finally responds as he decided to ignore the obvious trap that Ranma has set for him to put a bait to see what is Ranma planning for his next move.

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak' Klak' Klak'

'Good... Sai has decided to ignore it. Now for the next stage' Ranma moves to threathen another corner as he wait for Sai to respond to his move while he is fighting aggressively while he is holding the 'sente' for the moment.

'Klak' 'Klak' Klak'

'I see, very interesting, a deception layered with a deception to make ignore his trap that will eventually bait me to his true trap' Sai thought to himself. 'But I still can turn this into my advantage Ranma' Sai continues in his mind as he read ahead to respond to the trap and came with sequence of moves that will left Ranma with minimum gain from his trap.

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak'

'Gah! As usual Sai is thwarting my traps and making me work very hard to leave me very small margin of advantage from this exchange'

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak'

'Here, let's see how Ranma will respond to this' Sai thought as he found a move that will threaten Ranma's territory if left alone for the next several moves'

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak'

'Huh? what is Sai doing by putting a stone there? I can't see what Sai is thinking but it was giving him a bad feeling' However he could not leave the battle over the centre as that will be dangerous to him if he do not respond appropriately within the next several moves.

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak'

Within the next several exchanges between the two players, Sai was able to lead ahead by several moku due to his better ability to read ahead and his understanding of how his student thought but Ranma was also making Sai work through his devious traps and creative way to stop Sai from furthering the difference between them.

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak'

The game was finally entering the end of the middle stage where every move will make a big difference. Ranma came up with many moves that was on a level equal to his play during the last match with Cologne but Sai continues to surprise him with each brilliant moves that Sai made to counter his.

'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak' 'Klak'...

After what seems a very long time, their match finally came to an end with Sai surprised to see Ranma's strategy close to the end to reverse the game. If he did not came with a sequence that even left himself breathless he was sure that Ranma were able to came victorious with the one move where he swore that almost stopped his heart if the still have it. However he was able to came on top and he was very satisfied as their game was very thrilling until the end.

Ranma could only blink as the moves during the end he was sure that each Sai made was shining brightly on the Go-ban. His move that he thought for sure were able to pave a path to a sure victory was countered with a move that he was not able to foresee. He wondered if Sai had just shown him the 'Hand of God' as he swore that each move felt like they stuck him like a lightning bolt.

The game ends but the two of them was left breathless at their own thrill and trying to commit their game to ensure that this game was engraved in their memory.

Finally their eye met again after they last met before the game.

"Ranma... I thank you for this last game... I'm very satisfied that in this last game between us both I feel that I had came very close to the 'Hand of God'..."

"What do you mean Sai? I am sure that we can still continue play more Go like we always had right?"

"I'm afraid this will be the last time we are speaking Ranma. I do not know how but I 'know' that soon I will pass on. I'm just glad that I'm able to at least say a farewell to you 'brother'"

"Why...? Don't you still want to play more Go 'big brother'?"

"Yes I do... but I 'know' that my Go will continue to live within you and I 'know' that even though 'Martial Art' is your first love, your love for 'Go' is not far behind... I am glad for that... Farewell 'brother'..." As Sai speak, he felt like he was fading and knew that this will be the end.

"BROTHER!!"

Everything fades into darkness and Ranma fell into a dreamless sleep.


End to Chapter 05


Extra Information:

Sente : Tempo in the Go, often those who wield the tempo is the winner in a Game

Wei Qi : Another name for Go in Chinese

Go-Ban : A small table with 19x19 horizontal and vertical lines the Go-ke is placed at the intersection of those lines except for the outermost lines.

Go-Ke : Stones that is used to play go, is in two colors, black and white.

more will be added as needed.

Author's Rant:

I hope that this chapter is not too bad but what can I say? Please leave a review if this chapter is to your satisfaction. Anyway I am glad that I was finally able to write the end of the 1st Arc. Next arc will focus entirely on Ranma as he will arrive at Nerima. Let's see how I will spin Ranma's interaction with the Tendo Family. How will Tendo Family reacts to a very different Ranma? Till next chapter!