Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma no Go? ❯ Morning Contemplation ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Ranma no Go?

Disclaimer : I do not own nor do I take any profit from this and also I am NOT the owner of the following series : 'Ranma 1/2' and 'Hikaru no Go'. 'Ranma 1/2' belong to Rumiko Takahashi and 'Hikaru no Go' belong to Yumi Hotta and Takeshi Obata. If I do own those series I won't be writing this fic would I? Man! I wish I am the authors!

Note 01 : By the way, if there's anyone who are interested to make omakes for this fic since I'm don't have any idea to make one, please send me a message. If there's someone interested, I'll add the omake and the credit on the relevant chapter.

Note 02 : Thx to all the reviewers who had send me message regarding how I write this fic. Soon I'll make a revision and try to change the format and add the ideas into my fic. I'll try to get better so please send me more reviews regarding which part of my writing that desperately needs improvements. I really appreciate any constructive criticism regarding the subject.

Note 03 : Btw, I'm looking for someone to be my beta-readers so please don't hesitate to contact me.

Note 04 : I've started a pool to let you guys choose which of the female characters I should focus on. I prefer to focus on developing each character separately. For the several chapter's the voted character will interact a lot with Ranma.

Summary : One night, Genma carried Ranma away from their home to go on a training journey. Somewhere along the journey, they went to make a stop at an antique shop to sell something that Genma stole and there Ranma met Sai for the first time. After that, Ranma and Sai continues to influence each other and after a brief conversation one night, Ranma resolved to learn Go for his friend. They finally arrived in a temple with monks that plays Go. There Sai finally played with opponents other than Ranma.

After they departed from the temple, finally they start the last leg of their training journey to China. At last, Genma is going to end Ranma's martial art training in Anything Goes at the legendary pool or sorrow 'Jusenkyo'. After the fated training in Jusenkyo, Sai, Ranma and his old man went to the Chinese Amazon Village to seek for a cure. There, Ranma was given a gift from the Cologne (Khu Lon) when he is leaving the Village. Last chapter, Ranma at last arrived at the Tendos. Now, let's get on with the show shall we!

"..." Dialogues

'...' Thoughts

'...' Special Emphasis


Chapter 07 : Morning Contemplation


Today Ranma woken up feeling more refreshed than he has been for a very long time. Realizing that for once he was not seeing the familiar dark-green surface of his tent, but looking at the wooden ceiling was confusing at the beginning. Though he could do without waking up to hear the sound of his old man's snore, the comfortable warmth of 'futon' and a warm water bath after long hours of training session is welcomed.

Last night has been very enlightening to all the Tendos. After he forced his useless 'father's' hand, he was able to make his old man think that he had won from their confrontation. It was just like playing Go he realized. First he make a move that threaten an important position on the board and making the opponent wasting their moves to stop his invasion; he make his opponent think that by giving him a little breathing room that his opponent has come victorious while he is using the extra moves to lay foundation to other abandoned areas.

Before the discussion with the parents, he had called for a private discussion between him and the Tendo sisters. He was glad that at the sisters was thinking along the same line. They don't want to be engaged due to some agreement that was probably made between their fathers while they were drunk but they also agree that they hold their families' honor with high regard.

After that, everything was falling into place as they agrees with him to give the engagements between their families a chance and let the fathers think that they have successfully convinced their children to be engaged but with an the engagement are open that they're given time to allow themselves to get to know each other.

Knowing more of the Tendo sisters are going to be a pleasure to him. After a brief conversation the night after the discussion with the fathers, he found several new things about his new fiancees'. Kasumi is a also very kind person who held her family's happiness above her's but he swear he is going to know more of the person under her mask of obliviousness. She is also the house-mistress who takes care of the family. He won't force Kasumi but perhaps, more private conversations in their daily life would help him to find out more of her facets.

A short conversation to Nabiki let him know that he need to be cautious to the 'ice queen personality' who is unforgiving to anything that threatens her family. Letting her know that he would not force the engagements and letting her know a little of his more intelligence was a good idea on his part. Nabiki had agreed to check out some of the name of the families that had engaged their daughters to him due to Genma's insatiable stomach. He let her know more though, that he had actually dissolved the engagements himself but he also make her promise to not let the facts known to their parents in fear that they will force the engagements if there's nothing holding them back. Nabiki had been very accommodating to help him make a suitable cover story to their parents after knowing that fact.

Akane though... it has been... very difficult dealing with her. He could not understand her hatred to everything related to perversity but Nabiki told him that after going to school tomorrow he would understand her reason. Decided to give Akane at least benefit of a doubt, Ranma did not push the matter. However, due to the incident in the afternoon where he almost punched Akane did not help the matters as she continues to look at him with a small amount of fear and defiance through their short talk. At the very least she decides to ignore him the rest of the night not hitting him with the nearest blunt objects.


Decided that he had enough contemplation for the moment, Ranma walks to the corridor and went downstairs toward the living room. Finding nobody was there, he decides to go to the Dojo to do some 'kata'. Tranquil atmosphere within the dojo brought him to a state of calmness and he focused his body to do kata while thinking of methods to improve himself. One of the skill he developed as his old man refused to let him meditate on the road.

After learning many styles of Martial Art in his short live, he found many similarities between his first love and his second love- 'Go'. Many of the moves were based on the same thing with similar foundation, and in 'Go' the Fuseki is sets of basic moves that he learned from Sai. After he mastered the purpose of the basics in both art, the potential for both 'Art' are limitless!

His current purpose in life is to encounter many other different forms to learn many variations between what he already knows and incorporate those forms into his 'Art'. 'Go' is where he could also apply his deviousness and to train his ability to see 'moves' beyond the moves. In Martial Art he had learned the basic of reading his opponent where he could predict his opponents next move.

Before, he had incorporated of his knowledge in 'Saotome Musabetsu Kakuto Ryuu', The Saotome School of Indiscriminate Grappling into his 'Go'. Using his deviousness and ability to adapt to go against his opponents on the 'Go-ban', he could react to each moves as if his life on the 'Go-ban' depends on it.

However, recently he wondered what would happen if he could apply the principle of 'Sente' in 'Go' into his 'Martial Art'. His school often wait for his opponent to attack first to let him adapt to his opponents style. With the principle of 'Sente', he imagined that with the initiative that with each his move he would manipulate his opponents move. If he could incorporate the principle into his core style, it would bring him more leverage against his adversaries that are more superior in term of skill and basic stats (Strength, Agility and Endurance).

Therefore, to achieve his objective he would first need to hone his ability to 'read ahead' several times more that his current level. 'What better training in reading ahead than playing 'Go'?' Ranma thought to himself.

'That reminds me, I need to look for a Go Salon that I could frequent with in the area. I hope there will be many more interesting opponents there.' Ranma thought without realizing the irony of the challengers that will frequent Tendo Dojo because of him.

Second, he needs to ensure that he needs to master his body to another level. With his recent development in meditation and learning ki, he had learned to compliment his basic stats but he predicted that he could still do more than that. His old man has stopped at his training at his present level of manipulation and he suspects his old man is holding back on him. A solution to that is he needs to break his current limit himself which is very hard as he did not know what he should do, or... getting an expert help!

Many times in the past his old man have found martial art manuals which was filled with incorrect training methods which brought him more grief than he could count; but some of them actually fetched unexpected results. Then he recalls of the gift he received from Elder Cologne when he departed from Amazon Village. He realize perhaps the 'manual' could help him. He decides that there's nothing to lose other than his time to translate the ancient martial art tome.

Wrapping up his current kata, Ranma decides that he have been doing enough kata. He concludes his training with some basic physical conditioning for another half an hour before he retire from the dojo.

Back from the dojo, Ranma met passed Akane on the way and greet her with a simple 'ohayou'. Then he smell something delicious from the direction of the kitchen, brought him back memory of last night's dinner. Kasumi's cooking was heavenly and simply one of the best that he had ever tasted. He could not be more grateful for his decision to stay with the Tendo's for that very reason.


End of Chapter 07


Extra Information :

Sente : 'Initiative', A move that leaves the player an overwhelming follow-up move, and thus forces the opponent to respond. Often those who wield the tempo is the winner.

Wei Qi : Another name for Go in Chinese

Go-Ban : A small table with 19x19 horizontal and vertical lines the Go-ke is placed at the intersection of those lines except for the outermost lines.

Go-Ishi : Stones that is used to play go, is in two colors, black and white.

Go-Ke : Containers for the Stones.

Furo : Or ofuro if I'm not mistaken, it's a Japanese word for traditional Japanese Bath.

Futon : A type of mattress that makes up a Japanese bed.

Kata : Forms; Presence in the Martial Arts. Sequence of move set that brought the basics into combination of moves into life.

more will be added as needed.

Author's Rants:

Log 11/07/08 : I just surfed the wikipedia for more information of go equipments and I just found out that I had mistaken Go-Ishi with Go-Ke. Anyway I have made the correction in the Extra Information section above. I plan to correct the mistakes in previous chapters as soon I have the motivation to do it. I dedicate this chapter for Ranma to contemplate my future ideas of moves that I plan to develop and use in future chapters. My original plan is to have Ranma master those 'Go' based moves basing the style from the Martial Art manual he got from the Amazons. It would be soon after he reached an unbreakable ceiling on the present track.

dragon-cloud16 : Nice idea! Though I can't think how 'Mouko Takabisha' can be replaced with that. But I can see how such a move will be very useful. I think I can use the base a move from your description; It should be similar to 'Soul of Ice' in the canon series but with several modifications. Maybe I'll just rip-off the 'SEED' state from 'Gundam Seed' anime and 'Zero System' from 'Gundam Wing'. Still having difficulties to come up with an original name for the skill though. P

Windsbane : I'm glad you like how Sai affects Ranma. A lot of Sai will be contained within Ranma's daily interaction as it's the core idea for this fic after all. However what I can tell that Nabiki would not be able to act so callous to Ranma cause she will be feeling bad afterwards. Ranma will help the household in his own way after all. There's high probability that 'Mouko Takabisha' will stay the same but perhaps not be solely based on confidence. I'll make a little bit of modification to reduce the side-effects of the move.

Again Thx A Lot to all the reviewers who spared some of their precious time to tell me their opinion of my fic.