Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Rolling Mist, Morning Wind ❯ Questions To Be Asked ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Rolling Mist, Morning Wind A Ranma/Rayearth Fanfic by Adyen (senranda@yahoo.ca)

There are some things in this chapter that didn't really went smoothly for me. I think I might rewrite this chapter, but for now, here it is!

-------------------------------------------------------------- -------------- --------------------------------

"So, where are we?" Ranma asked, slowly trekking his way up a small hill. "I don't think we're in Japan anymore. I've never seen trees like these ones before."

Kasumi smiled at her companion. "This is the world of Cephiro. The portal that we went through transported us into this land." Looking down at herself, she amusedly said, "I guess I really should explain, shouldn't I?"

At Ranma's nod, she started her story. "This all started when I was 15, a bit more than 5 years ago. My class had a field trip to the Tokyo Tower, and coincidently, though now that I think about it, it probably wasn't," both Ranma and Kasumi grinned ruefully at that, having their own run-ins with `coincidences', "two other classes from different schools were going there as well."

"There, I first met Shidou Hikaru and Ryuuzaki Umi, two of the most important people I'll ever meet. We were just exploring the deck separately, and the moment the three of us were together, we got summoned to this world, told that we have to save Cephiro, and thrust into a battle that we have no idea what we're supposed to do."

As they got to the top of the hill, Kasumi waved her arms forwards and said, "This land is the result of me and my friends' actions. First, saving Cephiro from its defunct Pillar, and then a second time when the land required a new Pillar."

Ranma's breath was caught in his throat as he glazed out upon a large piece of land filled with plant life and animals. There were floating islands in the far distance, moving slowly above a large ocean. Off to one side, he could see a mountain range, and on the other side, there was this large castle that seemed taller than anything there.

"I am the Wind Knight of Cephiro, protector of the skies." Kasumi declared softly, looking out at the view. "This is my land, and my true home."

Ranma, still caught in the natural beauty of Cephiro, did not respond. Kasumi giggled at the look on his face, and said, "We need to be at the castled by sunset. I'll call us a ride."

Holding the hand that had a gem embedded into the gloves, she softly kissed the gem, and turning it around, yelled, "Summon the Sylpheed!"

A beam of green light flew upwards from her gem, and disappeared into the sky. Ranma watched curiously for a moment when he felt something very large approach where they were. He turned to Kasumi to warn her of it, but she smiled reassuringly and glanced up to the sky. Ranma, following her example, looked up to find a small speck approaching them from the direction where Kasumi's beam shot towards.

As it got closer, Ranma can faintly make out the shape of a bird of some sort, but nothing that he's ever seen on his travels. But then again, just because he hasn't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist; just look at all the weirdoes he's met since he started living with the Tendos.

The green bird slowly came to a halt in front of Kasumi. 'Huge' does not adequately describe it, but it was the best Ranma could come up with as he looked up, and up, and up, and hitting his own pack with the back of his head.

Kasumi giggled again at the scene, and introduced the beast. "This is Sylpheed. Climb aboard, and she'll take us to the Castle."

Showing the adaptively that is centered to his life, Ranma took less than thirty seconds of contemplating whether it was safe and jumped onto Sylpheed's back. "How long will it take?" He asked as he found himself a comfortable position on the bird's back.

"Oh, not long." Kasumi cryptically replied as Sylpheed suddenly launched itself into the air, nearly dislodging Ranma, and with its large wings, started pumping massive amount of air under it to propelled itself forward.

If Ranma was timing it, he would have realized that it took exactly 2 minutes and 28 seconds to reach the castle that was more than 50 km away. But, since he was concentrating on holding to Sylpheed for his dear life, he didn't notice.

As the large bird slowly landed on top of the castle, Ranma noticed that there were three 'pillars' to the castle; the right on in blue, the one they're on in green, and the middle one was red. Perhaps there's a reason for that, but Ranma was more interested in once again feeling a solid floor beneath him. Aerial combat school or not, the human body is not designed to stay in the air without any way of staying up itself nor without any warning, moving over 50 kms within three minutes.

"Come on, Ranma. I'd like you to meet my friends." Kasumi's voice came from behind him. Glancing backwards, he noticed that Sylpheed was now eating some kind of fruits from a nearby halter while Kasumi was standing in front of what seems to be some sort of elevator. Except that there's nothing underneath holding her up.

Sensing his hesitation, Kasumi laughed brightly and said, "Don't worry. This is just this Tower's method of transportation. Trust me, you won't fall down."

She smiled just so innocently that Ranma had no choice but to believe her. In fact, she was still smiling like that when he took his first step and fell straight down the chute for nearly 10 feet before suddenly stopping in mid-air.

Kasumi's laugh rung musically as she slowly descended on her plane of air and caught up to Ranma. "You should have seen your face!" She laughed as they went down together, Ranma glaring at this new side of the eldest Tendo daughter that he has never seen before.

Regaining her decorum, Kasumi apologized. "I'm sorry I had to do that, Ranma, but I had to make you understand that Cephiro is very different from Nerima, and I'm also a different person here. I may have to make decisions that may shock you, and you may find that I act differently to the same choices I have back in Nermia. There are reasons for that, but let's talk about it when we actually have ground beneath our feet, shall we?"

Ranma said nothing but crossed his arms and ignored Kasumi's laughing eyes. Of course, this did nothing but to make her suppress her laughter harder, but at least he made an effort to show his displeasure.

When they finally reached the bottom, they were met with a green haired young man. Kasumi nodded to him and greeted him with, "Prince Ferio." Ranma stood behind Kasumi and glanced curiously at the young man in front of her. For some reason, this Ferio reminds Ranma of himself.

"My lady." Ferio said as he took her right hand and kissed the back of the glove. "I'm glad to see you again. The Pillar and Water Knight has already arrived and is waiting for you."

Kasumi blushed. "Prince Ferio, I've told you that such formalities are not required."

Smiling, Ferio let go of her hands and said, "Ah, but you're the one who started it. I've told you many times not to call me 'Prince Ferio'. Just Ferio would be fine."

Ranma felt uncomfortable standing there. It was obvious that Kasumi knew this person quite well.

"And who's that young man behind you, my dear Wind Knight?" Ferio asked with amusement laid in his voice. "A lover, perhaps?"

Blushing more furiously, Kasumi shook her head franticly. "NO! I mean, this is my sister's fiancée, Saotome Ranma. Ranma, meet Prince Ferio, brother to the previous Pillar of Cephiro."

"Ummm... Hi?" Ranma said, not really sure how he's supposed to act.

Seeing his confusion, Ferio laughed and said, "Don't worry about it. Just call me Ferio, since I don't consider myself to be any sort of prince anyways." He held his hands out and Ranma shook it, evaluating this person in front of him as a potential opponent.

"Pleased to meet ya." Ranma said, letting go. "So, can anyone tell me what's going on? Kasumi here isn't speaking, and I'm still confused as to what's happening."

"Sure, sure." Ferio said, glancing at the Wind Knight. "Why don't I show you around the palace and I'll explain some things about Cephiro while the lovely lady here goes to reunite with her friends?"

Ranma glanced at Kasumi, and with her nod, said, "Sure." Ferio nodded to Kasumi and lead Ranma down the hallway, while Kasumi waved them goodbyes.

"Oh, Ranma?"

"Yes Kasumi?" He asked, turning back.

"Please don't eat anything that you didn't bring. It's not that there'd be anything wrong with the food, but there might be some unforeseen complications if you did…" Kasumi cryptically said. She then turned her head to Ferio, "I don't want Ranma to gain the 'Seed', and it's probably dangerous for him to do so, considering."

"As you command." Ferio said with a flourish. "Come on Ranma, I'll show you the museum first."

Kasumi's giggle from his response could be still heard as they turned a corner and went deeper into the palace. Ranma merely shook his head in confusion.