Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Hand Maid May Fan Fiction / Gatekeepers Fan Fiction ❯ Retake ❯ Chapter 21

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Retake
Chapter 21

DISCLAIMER: Ranma cast by R.Takahashi. Sailor Moon cast by N.Takeuchi. Real Bout High School cast by Reiji Saiga and Sora Inoue. Fess name & basic personality hiearchy by C.Stasheff. Legal advice by White Pheonix.

\\\\\

Haruka Ten'ou was not used to feeling uncertain. Angst yes. Cool definitely. She typically covered any doubts she might have with a "just plow straight ahead" gung ho attitude.

When Michiru had shown up, completely healed, she had been quiet about the details.

Haruka had made mad passionate love to Michiru to help deal with the doubts and uncertainties she was experiencing. She had done everything she could, exhausting herself by throwing herself entirely into the act of passion.

Michiru had seemed distant somehow, and when Haruka was spent and exhausted and supposedly asleep, Michiru had gotten a book from the nightstand and read three chapters before turning off the lights and going to sleep.

Haruka hadn't been asleep though. Not at first.

She knew that she was being obstinate, but didn't feel she had a choice. The dragon didn't *intend* to be a danger - he simply *was* a danger. She had to work at it to keep from liking the Senshi Of Death! And that was something else she had trouble with - the Senshi Of Silence And Death should *not* be a cute little shy girl who followed that dragon around like some lovesick schoolgirl!

Haruka was used to bulling through her problems. When she competed against men she did not take an easy going approach or compliment the guys or make comments that would salve egos! If they lost against her, and they did, then they were LOSERS. They'd resent her anyway for being a woman in something considered a "male sport" so why shouldn't she rub their noses in it! She approached other problems in life the same way. She made more waves than friends.

Elsa Gray being an exception.

Studying Michiru over the rim of a coffee cup, Haruka noted the slight smile and studying gaze of Michiru was focussed on ... the television?

On seeing the visage of a particular individual on that TV, Haruka came to a completely incorrect but understandable conclusion: Ryouga Hibiki needed to be taught a lesson!

------

"Mikado Sanzennin, room 204," said the nurse. "Compressed vertebra."

Azusa took a look at all the flowers and brought in her own. "Here ya go, Mickey!"

"That's a wreath, you stupid wench," pointed out Mikado from his hospital bed.

"Maybe you ought to pick something a little less hazardous," pointed out Azusa. "Furinkan has all those martial artists and stuff."

Mikado winced. If AZUSA was pointing this out, it was beyond obvious.

Maybe he ought to check out that school for girls. Saint Hebereke's. Surely he could find a more gentle flower to savor there.

------

The manager looked up and the cigar slowly dropped from his mouth.

Arnold Schwarzzenager times three coming through the doors of your establishment tended to do that.

A hired muscle attempted to interpose himself. One of the musclemen (all dressed in tasteful Italian suits) casually broke the grip and lifted the guy up into the air.

"That was battery," said Arnold in a thick Bavarian accent. "If you try again I will have to squish you like little Bavarian pastry. You understand?"

"Errr," the manager wasn't at all sure what to make of this, but decided to treat this as normal. He simply waited for them to reach the counter.

"You are Kentaro Takaoka, Manager of Sleeze Brand Videos. Makers of 'Sailor V versus the Shibari Cult' among other films." One of the imposing masses of muscle stated as if it were tattooed on Kentaro's forehead.

"That's right, this is a legitimate business, so if you've got any complaints..."

The Arnold who had spoken earlier smiled. It was not a nice smile. It somehow suggested that the person being smiled at was going to have their face removed. By those very teeth. He removed some legal papers from his briefcase and set them down on the counter. "We are from the lawfirm of Hurte Yuu Reale Badde. I'm Mister Badde. You can call me 'Mister Badde.' 'Sailor V' now works for Cyberdyne Corporation. We have an exclusive distribution contract. You've heard of Disney? Cyberdyne's lawyers are about as cute and fluffy as the lawyers who work there. Any further films or usages of her likeness, or of any employees of Cyberdyne, and we will come down on you so hard that your ancestors will beg for mercy and your descendents will curse your name. We are quite prepared to take the case to a jury, and any further action on your part will merit it. Do we understand each other?"

"You can't single me out, everyone's doing it!" Kentaro rallied.

Again that smile. "We are meeting with 'everybody'. Thank you for your time."

--------

Channel 12, Tokyo - "Your NewsCenter"

"Well, Chetu, Cyberdyne is in the spotlight again."

"That's right, Bufi. Cyberdyne has been quietly moving as a number of these Young Senshi have signed up with them for exclusive contracts. Then, with their legal status covered, Cyberdyne has been quietly tracking the sales and distribution of certain 'adult' materials involving those Senshi."

"They followed the money, Chetu. And today they went after it. Lawyers have served papers on manufacturers, distributors, rental companies, and most of the lookalike 'actresses' who appeared in those videos."

"I heard the Anti-Yakuza Task Force became involved," put in Chetu. "In any case the amount of fines and punitive damages for any further sale or distribution of their likenesses has been likened to 'slash and burn' tactics by some critics."

Bufi frowned. "At the announcement today, Sailor Venus had this to say."

Sailor Venus (crying): "We're not even out of High School yet, most of us... And we've been risking our lives to save people and.... then we find this?! You..." (Sailor Mercury and Sailor Pluto hug the crying soldier.)

Chetu purses his lips and considers. "You know. There might be a jury somewhere that wouldn't convict the manufacturers with Venus-san or other Senshi on the stand."

"True, Chetu. Now of course the Senshi who have signed with Cyberdyne get royalties and final approval of the products made of them. Toy manufacturers are scrambling to curry favor with Cyberdyne."

"Not only that, Bufi. Clothing manufacturers, cosmetic companies, and others. It seems that the catgirl Senshi and several other of the new sentai are also signing up with Cyberdyne. That leaves only a few Senshi left who can be brutally exploited in this manner."

"You have to wonder how long that will last. Oh, and we reached a Nodoka Saotome who had this reaction to finding out that her son had a harem:"

NODOKA: "My son is *so* manly!" (Waves around little Japanese-flag-fans.)

Bufi considered that. "Do you think she knows about his curse?"

"That he turns into a girl with cold water and back into a boy with hot?" Chetu nodded. "She had this to say."

NODOKA: "He manages to collect a harem despite this curse? I have such a manly son!"

"Takes all kinds," said Bufi. "On to the lighter side. A Russian defense minister has asked Sweden once again to stop hacking into their Mars probe data and leaving images of scantily clad buxom blondes..."

--------

Ami smiled as she stood and let the devices scan her. "Scholarships?" Medical school *was* terribly expensive.

"Yes, simple enough to do without releasing your identity," said Fess. "There should be enough left over for a 'youma victim support fund'. We're also dealing with the frivolous lawsuits."

"'Lawsuits?'" Minako asked as Ami's scan ended and her own began. "This is Japan, not America. Most people will go to almost any measure *not* to lose face in a legal battle."

"True," agreed Fess. "That still leaves things like Mrs Yotsuyama and her claim that her young son was psychologically traumatized by seeing young girls in sailor suits fighting a demon and that he still suffers nightmares. In one reality, an American superhero named Kestral ended up leaving his own country due to legal problems like that occurring. In Japan these are the exception, in America they would be the rule."

"I had no idea there were so many products tied into our names," exclaimed Ami as she put her outer clothes back on.

Minako looked up from her perusal of flyers and catalogs. "Can we get samples before we approve anything?"

"Good idea," agreed Fess. That was odd. "Minako, can you hold your hands above your head for a second scanning?"

Minako tried not to worry. Naturally it didn't work. "Something wrong?"

"Physically you're all quite healthy." Fess' voice sounded puzzled.

Morgana didn't look up from her monitor. "In each case the spells have amplified your powers and given you extra abilities based not only on your own desires and interpretations of the role - but those of previous individuals. Hotaru was concerned about appearing grown up or adult and had witnessed catgirls in one of those projections. Which is why everyone since then has gotten Bunnygirl, Catgirl, and Maid transformations. Just be glad that she's fairly naive about some of the more hentai stuff out there. Especially here in Japan."

Setsuna, still just quietly listening, merely winced.

"At that point there still wasn't anything major," continued Morgana. "You like him and regard him as a prince of your Moon Kingdom, and that becomes more real with every conversion. If Tsukino-san ever converts, it'll be official. Meiou added essentially nothing. Her conversion was a surprise, and if she hadn't accepted it to get out of her geas - likely wouldn't have been affected."

Setsuna studied her fingers, not meeting anyone's gaze.

Fess decided to interrupt. "All of this has been mapped out. When Doctor Mizuno joined her own Gate powers were increased and she gained some other abilities because of her own subconscious desires. Ami likewise didn't add anything new, but gained the abilities of each template in its own turn. For example, in her catgirl form, Doctor Mizuno's saliva contains an antiseptic compound which could be used to treat minor scrapes and wounds. Prior made catgirls such as Hotaru lack this talent. Ami's catgirl form has it. Minako, however, has a completely unexpected variable. Indicating that someone or something has altered the pattern. Minako, could you please shift to each of your forms?"

Minako switched to her blonde catgirl form.

"This is about what would be expected. The original template by Hotaru had increased strength and extremely good motor skills. The antiseptic saliva and increased sensitivity provided by Doctor Mizuno. The spatial awareness senses provided by Ami. A neural suppression factor has been added however." Fess was puzzled. "As this is a magical transformation any correction I can make would be quite temporary."

Morgana quickly looked the frightened blonde over and then got her to transform back to human and then to Senshi. "Hmmm. Maybe she was just taking the comments about 'mindless' too literally and added it. It doesn't affect either of the other forms and is mainly affecting her speech centers."

Minako switched back to catgirl. "Nyau nyaa nnyuu mew mew meow?" Her eyes went wide. "Mia mas mi? Myi mian miay mianynyin?!"

"Actually, I think if you practice you'll be *mostly* understandable," said Morgana. "You're right, Fess, this doesn't fit Aino's personality at all."

Minako switched to Maid and Bunnygirl.

"Maid is actually more intelligent - the corpus callosum and left brain activity levels jump. Bunnygirl has a similar neural suppression to catgirl, but it's more generalized in the right side of the brain dealing with rational thinking. Again, this does not fit Aino's personality and was added after Ami," was Fess' analysis.

"Huh?" Bunnygirl Minako asked.

"Change back," advised Morgana.

Minako let out a deep breath. That had been - actually kind of relaxing.

"Try to find another form, Minako," said Morgana. "I see another one but it's exact nature might tell us what or who added it."

Minako thought, strained, and changed outfits.

"EEEEP!" Minako was trying to cover herself though actually the outfit *felt* perfectly normal.

Morgana shook her head. "That's *not* a traditionally correct harem outfit. More 'I Dream Of Jeannie'."

"Now THAT fits her profile," said Setsuna, earning a dirty look from Minako. "She grew up watching a lot of TV."

Everyone nodded at that. Except Fess of course.

Minako looked thoughtful and changed again- revealing another form. "EEEK!" (THUD!)

"THAT doesn't fit Aino-san's personality at least," was Morgana's impression. "Looks uncomfortable too. Especially with her fainted like that."

"Eeeep!" Ami announced trying absolutely not to look.

"Whoever supplied that particular template is rather more familiar with certain perversions than Minako-chan," summarized Setsuna. "After she wakes up, I would suggest getting her to turn back and never go there again."

"Perhaps it was a total stranger," suggested Morgana. "None of these Senshi seem the type to wear something like that. Switching into it during a fight would be ludicrous. As soon as she switches back I'll try to 'lock' it off."

--------

"Ranma not like this game."

"Ukyo hoping this over with soon. She not like talking like bimbo."

"Shampoo not know what Spatula Girl mean."

"China Girl not know what Ranma mean? We is wake up in box - all wear Chinese banner dress. All have sign around neck say 'Free To Good Home' and all tie up in ribbons? Ranma not even mention how we is all talk like China Girl now! Ranma only refer China Girl as China Girl and Spatula Girl as Spatula Girl too."

"Ukyo hope Dragonboy fix soon. Ukyo hands get tired."

-------

Greylle yawned and stretched. Then stopped. "Oh crap."

"Problem?" Fess asked.

Greylle frowned. "I'm heading to the vault. Run a full medical scan on me after I've dropped the human shape."

"It would be easier to report if I know what I'm looking for," said Fess, noting the extra tension and anxiety in voice and body language.

"You don't have a full physiological database on Aramarian silver dragons, so you'll have to send the findings on. Amaterasu maybe. It's a pity Edema is no longer available. The only time I've felt this kind of creeping fatigue before, I went into the dragonsleep." It was a pity about that lack, otherwise he would have been able to adapt an mnemonic device and given himself full fluency in Japanese.

Fess understood now. Dragons went through periods of hibernation where their bodies grew into their next stage, where they recharged and metabolized among other things. The period of hibernation often lasting months or years at a stretch where the dragon was relatively helpless.

Fess further speculated that the recent battles and merger with the ginzuishou might have accelerated the process. If so, then the sleep for him to go from Young Adult to Adult status should be part of the database.

Scanning began as soon as he transformed to his real shape.

-------

Ryouga Hibiki sighed and stirred his campfire. Things were not pleasant here. Maybe it was time to go for a training journey. A long one. He'd heard Tibet had some good martial artists that weren't always saying something like:

"RYOUGA HIBIKI! PREPARE TO DIE!"

Yeah, things like that.

Ryouga watched as his cup ramen exploded. He hated days like this. Looking up at the bishonen, he hazarded a guess. "Let me see. You wouldn't happen to believe that I've somehow wronged you and you're out to get revenge."

"You've stolen my girlfriend, you fiend, so I'm prepared to pay you back for whatever spell you used." Haruka was peeved.

Ryouga nodded. Probably Ranma telling stories about him.

What could have been a great fight sequence between Haruka Ten'ou and Ryoga Hibiki *could* have followed.

Instead:

"There he is! And he has an accomplice!"

"Enemy to women!" "Pervert!" "Smash! Kill! Destroy!"

The Shinsengumi had arrived.

"Heh, cousin Ryoga, how nice to see you here."

Shizuma Kusanagi had arrived as well.

"Aiyah! Airen is in big fight!"

Plus Ryouga's Amazon fiancees.

This wasn't a martial arts fight. This was just a chaotic melee.

During which, Haruka's pager went off and she had to leave. By that point hardly anyone noticed.

------

Akane thumped onto the floor and had to admit something. This was inordinately painful, humiliating, tiring, and she *hated* it.

However, she was moving around easier and when normal gravity returned it became fairly easy to see that her workouts in high gravity fields were having the desired effects. She was leaner, stronger, and faster than she had been two days ago when a slightly higher gravity field had kept her bedridden. Now she was up and moving, though with frequent rests.

It was strange that Ranma and Shampoo weren't around. Though they denied it, the two were anxious to learn any strange or esoteric martial arts manuevers they could.

Akane turned a glance towards the polearms.

There was an older Tendo-ryuu than Anything Goes. Her mother's school. The naginata based style had been the Tendo specialty for generations. An innocent question to Greylle had discovered that he had knowledge of that Art and that if she wanted, Fess could arrange for her to learn it.

It might aggravate her father, who had always held that the Anything Goes style was the most powerful style, but Akane would have been willing to give up quite a lot if she could learn that style. Kasumi was to start training in the style, anxious to get away from the house for periods of time. Nabiki was less interested in that, but *did* want to see if she could find work with Cyberdyne. Especially if the Senshi started doing better in their fights.

Straining against her increased weight, Akane completed another situp and felt the muscles start that twitching sensation that was quickly followed by the muscles suddenly having the apparent strength of overcooked noodles.

"End gravity enhancement," Akane said to the air, then realized that the machines were often self-aware. "Please."

"Eight gravities, six, four, two, standard gravity achieved. Will you want the whirlpool Tendo-san?"

"Yes, please," responded Akane. Nothing like a hot soak with the waters swirling around her after straining like that. It kept the muscle strain from stiffening up if she did it right away.

Akane flopped back after a moment. "Uhm..."

Knowing that Akane had a great deal of pride and stubborness, a Nurse unit just happened to come by and help her to the whirlpool "because she was just heading that way herself."

"What's that?" Akane asked as she settled into the waters with a pleasent sigh.

The Nurse checked. "Oh that. Device being developed that utilizes the same technology that remade your body. Rebuild a body based on what your preferences are. Cosmetic surgery to the genetic level. Useful if the aliens turn out to be similar to the Gardeners in that respect."

"What respect is that?" Akane's attention was mainly on the device and the considerable temptation it represented.

"In at least one timeline, the Gardeners developed a virus that was used to weaken the human race prior to their conquering. The virus affected the human brain chemistry to dampen aggression. People just stopped fighting as it spread." The Nurse indicated the device again. "Splicing in as much as 2% from another species rendered the virus inoperable. Genetic diseases could also be reversed by such a device. With the prototype finished, making additional units would be less difficult."

"Oh," said Akane wistfully. "How nice."

-------

Fess chose as his holographic image the persona of a proper English Butler, fairly old and dignified.

Mambo Jack for his part, dropped the usual act.

Mambo Jack was real on some timelines, an urban myth in others. A cigar smoking wise-cracking cynical Humfrey Bogart sort of fellow who had operated in the Pacific prior to World War II as a smuggler and independent freighter captain. After the onset of that war, he smuggled Chinese out of Japanese occupied cities.

He wasn't an altruist however. Nor was he a hero. He did many a dark and dirty deed along the way.

He also had a reputation as a womanizer who not only had a girl in every port, in some ports he had all the girls.

When he finally died in his 70s, a jealous husband finally catching up with him, he had gained such Urban Legend status that he became the unofficial Indonesian god of male sexual prowess. Not, as he would hasten to correct, fertility.

He was more hostile to women than any other group, being cynical and finding himself often in politically correct crowds whereas he himself was unrepetent in his political incorrectness. He was crude, foul-mouthed, and totally unlike what 99% of all Westerners would expect to find in Heaven.

Naturally, he ended up in the Rival Relief Office. When he was among friends he tended to be less crude and annoying.

"Idiot jes' figurred it out, eh?" Mambo snorted and slugged down a quick glass of mead. "Man these Norsies like this baby formula. Pfeh. Anyway. Adult is age category six. He's currently a Young Adult. So, allowing for da translation of Aramar months to terrestrial/Western, ye've got roughly seven months he'll be outta commish."

"Seven months? That isn't so bad," said Fess.

Mambo Jack belched. "Providing it don't get interrupted. It's probably all them fights he's going through like that bit on that Japanese Empire world. Draws on the ginzuishou but it goes kinda both ways. So he's gonna molt and shed and all that crap. Sasami's running predictors now. Says he'll likely be addin' another eleven to twenty feet on the body or so. Mebbe half that on da tail as well. Prolly go up a level as a cleric too. If he's jes getting the first signs, he prolly ain't gotta worry none for another two or three months. Less he gets into major scuffles or something and has to draw more power."

"Very well, Mister Jack. I have to go now, I have just received word of another moster attack and I'm summoning the Senshi."

"Yeah yeah right. Sheesh. Wish I could get something with more kick around here."

-------

Akane noticed everyone was busy and just decided to take a quick look at this thing. Hmmm. Interesting.

Akane Tendo brought up two files. One human and one tigergirl.

Her breath caught as she pulled up the tigergirl. She had been strong and at one with the Art. She had been fast and beautiful and had felt more alive than ever.

In Japan, everyone had their roles. By being a girl, she had her role in the society. She'd spent a lot of time fighting in a nonphysical sense being forced into that role, and angry at the boys (and to some extent girls) who tried to force her into that mold.

As a tigergirl, there had been no pre-existing template. The pressure had been eased. She had been free to define herself.

The rotating 3D hologram of the tigergirl mesmerized her.

There could have been one of two reactions in Japan. One would have made her a pet, a nonhuman or at least subhuman. She would have been shunned at the very least. The other reaction was what had actually occurred.

She had been accepted. She had been that cultural icon since Osamu Tezuka had come up with the first catgirl back in the sixties. She had been the funloving and frolicking allegory of all women. Boys who had wanted to beat her human self and conquer her had shied away from the fanged grin and cruel claws. Others had admired her. Some of the girls had been quite obviously envious. Most had admired her. A few had scratched her behind the ear or that place along the spine just above the hips.

If she had been viewed as a pet, she would have been the school mascot at the very least.

She had been beautiful and terrible, cute and cuddly, strong and swift and capable.

Akane sighed and looked over the displays. Then blinked. According to what she was reading she could add just a bit of the tigergirl to what she was now.

She wrestled with the temptation to do a 2%. She doubted that would even be enough for people to even notice.

No. She'd just go back to the whirlpool. She couldn't do something like that.

No. Just go back to the whirlpool. No problem. Just go right back. Yeah. Any minute now.

-------

Luna and Artemis groaned.

"The tentacle monster again," said Artemis.

Sailor Moon pointed across the rooftops to the misshapen beast a half mile away. "Okay. Go get it!"

"Are you *nuts*?!" Mars pointed at the beast as well. "Ami said it was over nine hundred feet tall! There's not enough spirit wards in Tokyo to handle that!"

"I didn't mean us, Mars-chan," agreed Sailor Moon. She'd had time to think about this.

Sailor Uranus considered attacking it briefly, but was distracted by how distanced Neptune was keeping herself.

"She means us, I think," said Mercury, holding her hand up. "Senshi Gear On!" (Vreeeeeeeee!)

Saturn and Pluto held their hands up. "Senshi Gear On!" (Vreeeeeee!)(Vreeeeeee!)

Venus hesitated, not having gotten around to telling anyone. Oh well. "Senshi Gear ON!" (Vreeeeeeee!)

A set of Maid androids brought in some LaZboy recliners and a big screen TV for the remaining Senshi who just gaped at the display.

"Senshi Gear ON,
To fight for right,
With love and justice
and overwhelming might!"

"Blue Dolphin online," announced Sailor Mercury from her seat in her Mercury mecha. "Scanning target!"

"Senshi Gear ON,
Time to make evil pay!
And take a break
from the everyday!"

"Violet Dragonfly," quietly said Saturn from her own mecha. "Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed."

"Soldiers of love rise to the fight!
Now is time to do what is right,
strike a blow for freedom and love,
time to go beyond and above!"

"Jade Owl," said Pluto, the monitor showing her own mecha's interior, "all systems ready and standing by."

"Senshi Gear ON!
You've got beauty and you've got class!
But now it's time to kick some @$$!"

"Venus Gundam," declared Sailor Venus. "Summoning BFG from hyperspatial storage!"

Lightning flared as the rifle appeared in the hands of the Venus Gundam.

"When they say Big eFffing Gun, they *mean* Big eFfing Gun," observed Sailor Jupiter as she leaned back in her recliner and ordered one of those drinks with the little umbrellas.

"They definitely need to work on the lyrics," suggested Mars as she ordered an iced tea - green.

"Senshi Gear ON!" (Vreeeeeeee)

The assembled Sailor Senshi stared at Sailor Neptune as she brought a glittering bracelet up.

"Senshi Gear ON!
Evil threats are drawing nigh,
So you're gonna make 'em die!"

After being beamed up to the newly arrived mecha, Neptune's image appeared on the display.

"Emerald Starfish, ready."

"Sending targetting data," announced Mercury. "Link weapons to my console."

"Breee?!" The tentacle monster was not at all happy about this.

"Mercury Sonic Cannon!" "Saturn Laser Cannon." "Pluto Wing Missiles." "Venus Particle Beam Rifle!" "Neptune Starcannon."

"Overkill," commented Sailor Uranus as the tentacle monster disintegrated.

"Don't sound so envious," commented Sailor Mars.

Tuxedo Kamen appeared, assessed the situation, took a seat near Usagi and requested a large soda.

The mecha vanished, the Senshi reappeared.

Spotting a camera crew two buildings over, Sailor Venus posed. "Fighting for truth and love and superior firepower, yeah!"

One of the Maid units held up a hand. "Sailor Senshi, the police are requesting assistance in Bokuto precinct. Can you assist?"

"No," said Luna, "we only respond to Sailor business."

"Sure," indicated Sailor Venus, turning up the perky level. "What kind of situation is it?"

"...but..." Luna went into muttering complaints.

"Car didn't clear the tracks, train collision, multiple injuries, traffic difficulties making rescue difficult." The Maid unit cocked her head to the side. "I can relay specific data on the way if you want to go."

"Oh really, Bokuto is sixty miles away," said Sailor Uranus, "those giant robots of yours are hardly practical for..."

Sailor Venus was ignoring the nay-sayers. "Everyone! Call your transports!"

Sailor Moon panicked. "You mean a Sailor Teleport?!"

With a roar of engines, an orange patterned jet-cycle swept in low. Venus flipped up and landed perfectly in the seat, the cycle seeming to adjust itself in midflight to best catch her.

Sailor Mercury waited for her vehicle, a blue patterned 1957 Thunderbird, to pull even and get in less flamboyantly.

Sailor Saturn *wanted* a dragon to fly her. She settled for a ride with Sailor Pluto in a white flying Stutz Bearcat.

Another vehicle arrived as Sailor Neptune demurely summoned and took her seat in a Silver Rolls Royce Limousine with one of the Maid units driving.

Sailor Neptune paused for a moment and regarded those remaining on the roof. "Might I offer a ride?"

Sailor Uranus turned away. "Neptune. Don't tell me you fell for the lies and temptations of that dragon. He cannot be as concerned for you as I am. More, we have to be wary of the hidden cost."

One of the Maid units interrupted. "Uranus-san? They've already left."

Uranus blinked and surveyed the roof.

"Uranus-san," said a reporter, making his way over, "what about the recent release of the movie 'Sailor Uranus & The Biker Gang' by Sleaze Productions?"

"The who the what?" Sailor Uranus asked.

--------

"...mutter... mumble... Dark Kingdom plot... undefended underside... drop our guard..."

Everyone else ignored Luna.

Usagi's eyes were big. "Wow. This is so..."

Sailor Neptune sat back on one of the seats and managed to look quite at home. "A fully stocked limousine with refrigerator, a freezer, a mini-bar, and similar items. The limo is a 'loaner' - and, oh, Yvette could you tell them of the capabilities of this vehicle?"

The Maid nodded from where she was driving. "Yes, ma'amselle. The Rolls is capable of flight speeds in excess of Mach 2, though at current altitude and population density we are only proceeding at roughly 75.758 miles per hour. The hull is capable of pressure depths of 1000 feet when submerged, while life support will allow for 36 hours of contained environment before the air scrubbers begin to fail. If a longer stay is indicated, it would be suggested that you use your combat vehicles - which have greater range and operational parameters."

"I could learn to like this," sighed Jupiter as she relaxed back into her seat after finding the "Heat/Massage" controls and set it to backrub.

Usagi squealed. "Oooh, they've got the wreck on the TV. Look, they're going back over the battle."

------

"...Channel 12 NewsCenter. It appears that the Sailor Senshi Civil War continues but the rift may be mending. And we've gotten our first view of what the Senshi can do when not divided. Our man on the scene, Skip Hideyoshi. Skip?"

"We just witnessed the Sailor Senshi as they were before their year off and they definitely have more competence than in previous battles, Chetu. It took just over a minute for them to deploy and destroy the giant tentacle monster using some fabulous new mecha."

"Well it's odd for a sentai team *not* to have gadgets," agreed Chetu.

"So roughly half the team sat back and watched while the rebels within the group responded to the menace." Skip's gravely concerned expression went to slightly more upbeat. "However, most of the group responded to a police call and the Rebel Senshi gave rides to the Old Guard and are en route to the accident you were just talking about."

"So there *are* signs that the two groups will cooperate in the future. Good work Skip."

------

"We have arrived," announced Yvette. "Do you want me to land on a rooftop or on the street or simply hover while you leap into action?"

"Hover. Open the door. Altitude of 40 feet." Sailor Neptune shifted to Catgirl Neptune. Seeing the questioning gazes, she explained. "I can take falls and make better leaps in this form."

"Stop drooling, Artemis, and help me think of a way to stop this from getting out of hand."

Artemis blinked. "I think it got out of hand a long time ago, Luna."

-------

Yvette circled the area, relaying information to Fess and the Tokyo PD as well as using the belly-cameras to feed to Channel 12 News. Why them? Because so far they'd been the most positive with regard to Cyberdyne and the affiliated Senshi.

Because of this they were also first in line for promotional merchandise and advertising dollars, which merely increased Channel 12's desire to see Cyberdyne do well and the Senshi recover from their current problems.

The news footage, as was standard practice, was sold by Channel 12 world wide. AFTER it was aired first by them of course. Which meant that CNN showed it as well.

While the "Old Guard" was nowhere to be seen, the "Young Rebels" were working the accident.

And then some.

Water doused flames as Neptune concentrated on that aspect of the accident.

Saturn poured healing energies into the worst hurt as determined by Mercury performing triage and doing what she could with her knowledge of medicine.

Pluto used her ability to sidestep distances by utilizing her ability to reach the Gate Of Time and brought a team of Nurse (androids) and some EMTs, though she had to do it one at a time as these were not Silver Millenium personnel.

Sailor Venus utilized a grapple on her cycle to hook the remains of the car and clear it from the track.

Two bunnygirls used their android strength to lift the derailed train back onto the track.

Even the worst of the detractors of the Sailor Senshi had to grudgingly admit that they'd handled the situation well.

As for those few who had held onto their "Sailor V FanClub" membership badges? They felt they were vindicated.

-------

"We've had four members drop out," complained one of the Hentai Sorcerers.

"Wimps," exclaimed another. "Just because one girl makes a tearful speech on TV. Boo hoo. They wouldn't have been able to go the course anyway."

"So who's the next daimon ready to go?" One of the Hentai Sorcerers had been playing around with spells and was now a Hentai Sorceress, but she wasn't going to let a little setback stop her from her goal.

"Latex!" A daimon declared.

A brief pause. "I dunno, man. The whole plastic and rubber thing just don't work for me."

"Results are what matters," said Latex's creator. "Wait till I finish boosting her powers!"

"Yeah yeah whatever. I still think Tastee did a good job."

"Wimp."

"Up yours, Shin!"

"You wanna make something of it, *wimp!*"

"Ha! Wait till *my* daimon cuts loose!"

"Aw shuttup!"

"Aw crap! Here comes the cops again. Remind me to kick Higari's butt."

"Don't worry, we've got those 'nothing going on here' spells up to Level 4 now. With the dyslexia and mute spells we hit him with, any other confessions he gives will be complete gobbledygook."

"Yeah, but sooner or later they'll figure something out. We'll have to conquer the world before then."

------

Ami sat down with her mother and did a little after-juku bonding.

Well, that's what it ended up being. What it had started out as was going over the latest slew of products. One of the manufacturers, Bandai, had come up with a set of toys and had rushed some prototypes out to see if they could get the official Sailor Mercury Approved Product(tm) label.

There was the cute Sailor Mercury SD plushie, and the even cuter Catgirl Mercury plushie, and the plastic Sailor Mercury doll that they wanted Cyberdyne to go in with them on, and the Sailor Mercury swimsuit, and the Catgirl Mercury pajamas, and the action figure of the Mercury Blue Dolphin mecha, and the Sailor Senshi teaset, and pillows and toothbrushes and a few other items.

Fess had come up with a few gadgets he could mass produce, thereby making Cyberdyne even more a legitimate business. Ami giggled so hard she shifted to catgirl on hearing the Mercury Wrist Chronometer proclaim "In the name of Mercury, don't forget to brush your teeth!"

Setsuna was off designing clothing and looking happier than she'd ever been before.

And as the Time Gate was being guarded right now by three OGRE units (mile long sentient tanks with weapons bristling from every surface) that wasn't that concerning.

If the Dead Moon family had appeared they would have faced enough firepower to make the Invincible Shadow consider easier targets to go after.

Ami however shared a brief time of laughter where mother and daughter briefly put aside all other roles and concerns for an afternoon.

------

Ryouga had been a dozen feet away at the start of things. When Nabiki had unleashed her spell he had been skimmed across the ground and he'd landed in a canal over three miles distant. It had taken him several hours to recover.

Happosai, however, had been the target.

Which was why, on a cold and lonely island in the Bering Strait (far far away), a shriveled old man stood atop a snow drift and shook his fist at the heavens. "Why me?!"

At which point he sneezed and tumbled back down the slope.

------

Haruka watched from a distance. Michiru seemed normal, mostly, if you discounted that she seemed more casually friendly with those other girls.

"Excuse me, are you going to order anything?"

Haruka glared at the waitress.

"Guess not..." The waitress scurried off.

Haruka returned to watching. How could Michiru have done this?! Unless...

Of course! Michiru was faking it! She had infiltrated the dragon's organization and was working her way into a position to do serious damage. Once there she could bypass any defenses the dragon had and bring the ginzuishou back.

Sailor Moon was too much of an idiot to be trusted with that much power. Best they hold onto it after prying it away.

That being the case Haruka considered her own role. How best to back Michiru up?

By distracting attention from her, obviously. Haruka wondered how best to do that before realizing that she was probably already doing a good job - by being the antagonist she'd draw attention away from Michiru.

So she'd just challenge the dragon to a rematch. That would get everyone away from the complex or distracted so that Michiru could deliver the death blow.

"...dragonbane..."

Haruka's attention was immediately grabbed by that phrase and she made her way closer to that table.

--------

Cologne hadn't batted an eye to find that the Chinese Amazons had two new recruits. All she'd said was that she had to get rid of something she was carrying before she could examine them.

Ukyo had asked what she was carrying that was more important than fixing this problem. Cologne had said one word.

Shampoo looked ready to leap through the window and keep running until she hit China. "Great Grandmother what you carry THAT for?!"

"Shampoo. Quiet. Sit down. You draw attention to us." Cologne glared at her great granddaughter as if considering trimming the family tree.

It was enough to clue two reluctant draftees that this was serious crap.

Ukyo hated sounding like a bimbo but she had to ask. "What mean 'dragonbane'? Why you have?"

Cologne let out a deep breath. "Over a millenia ago there were creatures of fantasy. There was a Moon Kingdom and an Earth Kingdom. The Earth Kingdom was suborned by an evil power and attacked the Moon Kingdom and both were destroyed. Some evil was left however, and it sought to recreate its former majesty. There is a special wood that grows where a form of magic called 'death magic' was especially strong. That wood is called 'dragonbane.'"

"Matriarich have handy in case dragon turn out be bad guy?" Ranma asked. "Ranma think that okay. He not bad guy. Weird but no bad."

Cologne took a lead puzzlebox out of her robes and twisted and shifted the sides rapidly. From it she took a discolored steel box. From the steel box she took a smaller box made of some black material. She set that on the table. "Look but if you value your life, do not touch. Only the most innocent can touch this material."

Ranma and Ukyo cautiously peered in. Shampoo crossed herself and started praying. She wasn't Christian but at times like this why not cover all your bases?

"Wood arrowhead?" Ranma looked at the oily old hunk of wood and was about to dismiss it as nothing special.

Cologne began repacking the item, very carefully. "The more powerful you are, the more magic you have, the more chi you can draw on or use, the more deadly the poison. In the crypts is the body of the last person to try and take the arrowhead to use against a martial artist who had threatened us. She died eighty five years ago. She only screamed for about five minutes, though as near as we can tell she died instantly."

Ranma and Ukyo blinked at the idea of someone screaming for five minutes *after* they had died.

"...horrible..." Shampoo offered.

"One of the reasons our tribe started on the whole 'breeding for strength' and 'killing or marrying outsiders' were items like this," said Cologne as she locked the lead container back up. "This could kill the dragon. There's no doubt in my mind now that all it would take is one shot with a bow and the dragon would die. He is a creature of magic who uses magic and has a powerful chi. One would have to find someone, an innocent child, who could use it. Whoever used it would sicken and die too. Fortunately this can be put away. There are some weapons too terrible to use." (1)

------

Michiru relaxed in her seat. Things had gotten interesting. Of course, now she knew the truth. Which was that there actually had been a dragon prince of the kingdom. It would be interesting with him mixing things up in this lifetime.

He was also quite attractive, and the idea of finding a guy attractive was fairly new to Michiru Kaioh. She'd found herself checking guys out and comparing notes with those Inner Senshi and it had been quite amusing.

Of course, there were benefits to working with their prince. Legal protection for one. Michiru held up a plushie SD Sailor Uranus and smirked. Free samples.

She had an appointment as Michiru Kaioh for later that day as a violinist. Apparently Cyberdyne had a "Young Talent Development" program going, which at least partly acted as a cover for their civilian identities. Funds could be moved from the Senshi royalties and fees to the program without problems. However an additional benefit was that those of them that had marketable talents (such as herself) could make use of agents and company resources to further their careers.

Cyberdyne benefitted from the publicity, some marketing share, and the inevitable tie-in merchandise.

On the other hand, Michiru Kaioh had access to sound recording equipment that was phenomenal and could obtain backup musicians for whatever whim struck her.

She also had her new attacks. Michiru smiled at the memory of that. Her Deep Submerge had been joined by Submarine Reflection using her Talisman. She'd used High Pressure Wave to manifest a continuous stream of water to combat the fire. Mirror Image could replicate herself. She wouldn't be able to use many other attacks while keeping that up, but the impromptu violin concerto she'd treated herself to had been amusing. So far she hadn't gotten a chance to use Storm Burst but weather summoning was tricky and that was her Ultimate level attack anyway. Not something to manifest on a whim.

Her Starfish mecha was beautiful and elegant and had a wonderful sound system. Though she was told that Crab mecha had been originally intended for her, she'd decided the lower power Starfish suited her better.

Pouring herself a glass of champagne, Michiru raised a toast to her future.

Now if only Haruka would drop that stubborn streak of hers.

------

A holographic screen displayed information. Translation and analysis of data continued. Schedules were revised.

------

She winced, dreading the reaction. She remembered the hostility. She remembered the comments. She remembered the videos. In school the previous day she hadn't been able to escape it. She'd even seen the little SD Venus-chan doll that someone had thrown away in a trashcan.

Now she had just leapt to the roof of a building, intending to try out her new abilities and attacks and ride her Venus Cycle out where nobody could see her.

However, there had apparently been a concert going. She could recognize those marionette Senshi over there in their civilian guise. A crowd of a few thousand gathered. There was an awkward silence as the band stopped and looked, followed by the audience looking to see what had caused the momentary lull.

"There she is, ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for Sailor Venus! The V-Babe!"

The roar was an almost physical wave.

Sailor Venus blinked and stared. They were... applauding?! Nobody was laughing at her? No lecherous comments shouted from the crowd. They...

"They like me! They really like me!"

She posed and gave them the V sign. They returned it and applauded louder.

Sailor Venus leapt away, calling for her Venus Cycle and circling the park once before jetting away.

She put it on autopilot. She had something in her eye and it wouldn't do to have the crowd think she was crying.

Behind her she could hear the band play.

"Yeah baby, she's got it!
She's your Venus, she's on fire,
At your desire!"

Darn pesky dust in her eyes.

========

(1) Dragonbane was thought up as a result of thinking through why in fantasy worlds dragons weren't more common or monsters haven't overrun things. Steeped in death magic, something that is anti-magic, anti-life. Not merely negating those energies, but actively counter to them. The more powerful you are, the more poisonous this would be. Only very young sickly characters would be able to resist the poison long enough to use it.