Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Bless'ed Are We ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Bless'ed Are We
a Sailor Moon/Slayers/Ranma 1/2 Fanfic
by SoftRogue
whiteb100@hotmail.com

Disclaimer:
The voices in my head made me do it.
Honestly!

**********
Prologue
**********

**********
Nerima
**********


To say that Dr Tofu was ecstatic would be an understatement. It had been too long since the last time he had a vacation he couldn't remember a time when he didn't have some old lady in his office complaining about one joint or another aching or one of the local martial artists getting patched up from their latest fight. He had everything planned out; a trip to the countryside to the Tofu Estate where he would spend the next week in total peace and quite with nothing but his late fathers collection of ancient books of lore.

And there were no patients in the clinic with two minutes to go.

He had already made arrangements for any emergencies that might come up for his regular patients during his vacation and, more importantly, he had spoken to each of the local martial artists and asked them to try to keep the violence down; since another doctor would be unfamiliar with how to treat them. Why, he had even lucked out and bumped into Ryouga first thing this morning and, after delivering his warning, he had given him step by step directions to the Tendo Dojo; which meant that it would be at least a week until the Lost Boy found Ranma.

And there were no patients in the clinic with thirty seconds to go.

*Ding*

'Crap!' Dr Tofu thought to himself as he turned to see who had just walked in.

Dr Tofu didn't know which surprised him the least. The fact that it was Ranma who had just walked into his office; or the fact that it was a very wet and very female Ranma who had walked in.

"Um, I'm sorry ta bother ya Doc, with ya going on vacation and all; but um..." Ranma started to say in an apologetic voice.

"Hot water?" Tofu asked as he walked over to the receptionist desk and removed the teakettle that he kept on hand for the various Junsenkyo cursed people who lived in or visited Nerima. "It should still be warm enough."

As Tofu offered the kettle to Ranma, the young man looked down and, seeing that he was now a she, slumped her shoulders and gratefully accepted the kettle.

"Um, Doc?" Ranma asked as she poured the water over her head and changed back into his natural form. "I know you're about to leave and all; but, well, I kinda need ta talk to someone about something. Someone I can trust not ta tell anyone."

Dr Tofu considered his options for half a second as he looked at the pleading and somewhat worried looking martial artist before him. "Alright Ranma. Go take a seat in my office while I lock up."

With a grateful look, Ranma headed towards the office as Dr. Tofu went to the door, flipped the sign to 'Closed', drew the shades, and locked the door. As he headed back to his office the doctor thought about the remarkable young man he was about to speak to. In the two years that he had known Ranma, Dr Tofu had been fascinated by all the different stories the young man had told him. Perhaps he didn't mind taking time out of his somewhat busy schedule because, when he was younger, one Ono Tofu had chosen to concentrate his studies in medicine instead of the martial arts and perhaps, just perhaps, missed out on similar adventures of his own.

Besides, although it had taken him a while to admit this to himself, the doctor knew that he was the only one Ranma trusted to talk to about his problems and worries.

Entering his office, Tofu saw Ranma had already taken a seat in his 'usual' spot. With a smile, the doctor sat down and looked at a somewhat apprehensive Ranma.

"Don't be nervous, Ranma." Tofu said as he reached for his tape recorder and; with a quick nod of approval from the young man; depressed the record button. "So, Ranma. Tell me what's on your mind."

With a deep breath, Ranma said. "Well, Doc, lately when I sleep I've been havin' this Dream."

"A dream? Ranma, everyone dreams." Tofu said. "It's the subconscious way of sorting out the days events."

"Ya don't understand, Doc. I don't dream." Ranma said. "At least I don't remember dreaming. Well, except for that one with Kuno-baka and the one with the eyes and claws and fur and fangs..." Ranma trailed off before continuing with a small shudder. "I guess it's ‘cause of Pops. As long as I can remember I've gone to sleep exhausted and been woken up by being thrown outta bed." Ranma paused then muttered "Or havin' someone throw a bucket of water on me." He sighed, "Anyway, those dreams are always different. This Dream is always exactly the same."

"Exactly the same?" Tofu asked curiously.

"Yea. Exactly the same. But it seems so...real; like I ain't dreaming it but remembering it. But that can't be right, can it?"

Tofu signaled for Ranma to continue with a small wave of his hand. The pigtailed martial artist closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Opening his eyes, he began to speak. "It always starts with the Sword. Now, I know what'cha thinking Doc, that I don't like weapons but that ain't true. I've always thought that weapons ain't stupid, its stupid people with weapons who are stupid."

"Tell me about this Sword, Ranma." Tofu prompted, not missing the significance Ranma hand put on the word; and trying his best not to think about Freud.

With a nod Ranma continued. "The Sword ain't like any sword I've seen before. First of all, it ain't a Japanese sword; it's long and straight with an edge on both sides like a Western sword...sorta. It ain't made of metal, at least I don't think it so. It's lighter than any sword I've seen but stronger than all o’ them combined. And at first glance it seems to have two green ribbons or streamers attached to the hilt; but they're made of the same stuff as the Sword and they're part of it. And, in the Dream, whenever I'm holding it I get this feeling of peace. Oh, and it glows; a pale green, almost white glow."

Ranma stopped and, to Tofu's surprise, he dug around in his pants pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper. Unfolding it, the young man handed it to the doctor. Tofu was surprised to see a drawing of a beautifully designed sword on the page.

"You drew this?" The doctor asked amazed at the detail.

With a grin, Ranma replied. "Anything Goes Martial Arts Calligraphy."

Tofu took one last glance at the drawing of the Sword before refolding the paper and placing it in his shirt pocket; he would have time to study it later. With a nod to Ranma, the martial artiest continued the telling of his Dream.

"The next thing I remember about the Dream are the stars. It's a moonless night, but the sky is clear and the stars are so shining so bright ya can see for miles. There are hills of rocks doting the landscape and these...things that look like stick figures with their arms raised up in the air. As I look around, I've got this sense of satisfaction, like I just done something very hard.

"Then I become aware of Her."

"Her?" Tofu asked, his curiosity suddenly peaking.

With a nod Ranma continued. "She comes up behind me and wraps her arms around me, resting Her head on top of mine. In the Dream, I Know Her. I know everything a guy like me can know about a woman like Her; but when I wake up I only remember little things, like She's taller than me. I can't remember what She looks like or Her name or Her favorite ice cream of if She likes bubble baths; but in the Dream I know these things, and lots of other little things about Her."

Ranma trailed off for a moment with a far away look in his eyes, then he shook himself out of his thoughts before continuing. "Anyway, in the Dream a lock of Her hair falls down across my face and I inhale deeply; Her hair smells like peaches; and I relax. I stand there, feeling in the warmth of Her body in the cold night's air.

"I then take the Sword and drive its point into the ground and it easily sinks down several inches and stays there. Then I place both my hands over Hers and gently, ever so gently, I remove Her hands from my chest. I can feel Her tense slightly in disappointment but, as soon as there's room I turn around and, face to face, we embrace.

"It ain't no mad embrace of passion; although there's passion there; it's like...like two pieces of a puzzle comin' together. It feels like the most natural thing in the world. It's like...well, I can't describe it. It just feels right in a way I can't put inta words.

"We stand there holding each other close, the scent of peaches filling me. Then I pull back ever so slightly and look deeply inta Her eyes and see nothing but pure and unconditional lover there. And then...then..."

Ranma stopped talking, his eyes looking out at nothing. Tofu waited a full minute before prompting, "And then...?"

"Her lips...they taste like Butterscotch."

Tofu's mind was awhirl. Whatever Ranma has been experiencing wasn't a normal dream. As Ranma sat lost in his own thoughts, the doctor went over what heard so far. The fact that Ranma could distinguish things like temperature, smell, and taste discounted the possibility of a normal dream. Perhaps he was experiencing a past life?

Before Tofu could think on that subject any further, Ranma came out of his daze and continued speaking. "I don't know how long we kissed. Seconds, years, it didn't matter. All I knew was that we were together.

"We broke our kiss and I looked deep inta Her eyes and, to my surprise, I see pain there as a single tear rolled down Her cheek. ‘What's wrong?’ I asked Her with concern as I brushed the tear away with my fingertips. ‘We won. It's over.’

"She closed Her eyes and turned Her head to the side and spoke for the first time in my Dream. ‘No. It's not over. It's far from over.’

"I tense for a moment as the words She spoke sunk in; then I relaxed. I reached up and placed a fingertip on Her chin and turn Her head until She's lookin' at me again. ‘Alright.’ I say, ‘What's next?’

“‘There are things we both must do. A great many things.’ She says in that voice I somehow know She likes ta use to tease people when She knows things She ain't suppose ta talk about. But I know that it ain't never bugged me.

"I grin, knowing; somehow; that whenever I do that it always drives her crazy. ‘A long as we're together we ain't got nothing ta worry about, right?’

"Then, She smiles. A small, sad smile. I look deep inta Her eyes and see something that; in the Dream; I know I've seen once before shortly after we met. A sadness; a deep, all consuming, timeless sadness.

“‘I'm so sorry Ranma.’ She says softly as she gently presses her lips against my forehead."

The room was quiet as Tofu, who was on the edge of his seat, watched Ranma intently. The pig-tailed youth sat there, his crystal blue eyes unfocused, as he was lost in his own thoughts. Finally, the doctor broke the silence.

"And then?" Tofu asked softly.

"That's it." Ranma said, coming out of his daze.

"That's it?"

"Yea. If there's more I can't remember. So tell me Doc, am I losing my mind?" Ranma asked with a hint of anxiety in his voice.

Sitting back in his chair, Tofu removed his glasses with a sigh. Pulling a piece of cloth from a pocket, he began to clean them while he spoke.

"No Ranma. I don’t think you're not losing your mind." Ranma relaxed in his chair as Tofu placed his glasses back over his eyes. "However, I don't think that what you’re experiencing is a normal dream. It appears to be too vivid, to; as you put it; real to be a dream."

"Then what's happenin' to me?" Ranma asked as worry crept back into his voice.

"There are two possibilities. The first...well, have you ever heard of reincarnation?"

"Ya mean how when someone dies, their soul comes back? Yea I've heard of it. Ya mean to say..."

"That you're remembering a past life? Yes, it's quite possible; although the odds that you had the same name in a previous incarnation as you do now are astronomically small it's still a possibility. I mean," Tofu said with a small smile on his face "after all we are talking about you here."

"And the other possibility?"

Sighing deeply, Tofu replied. "I think you already know."

Looking down at the floor, Ranma was quiet for a moment. Then, softly, he said, "It really happened. It's real...She's real and I can't remember Her."

Silence reined in the office as Ranma absorbed what the doctors’ words. Tofu studied him intently for a few moments, then reached over and stopped the recorder.

"I'm sorry, Ranma, but I really do need to get going." The doctor said, removing the tape and placing it in his pocket with the drawing. "I'll look into what you've told me and I'll see what I can find out for you."

"But your vacation..." Ranma began to protest, but was interrupted by the doctor.

"You've given me a mystery to solve Ranma. Besides I was planning to do a little research anyway; this just gives me something to concentrate on."

"Well, if ya insist." Ranma said; the cocky grin that Tofu was use to seeing appearing on his face. Standing up, the pig-tailed young man said, "I'd better get going then. Kasumi probably has dinner ready."

Realizing his mistake at mentioning the 'K' work, Ranma moved swiftly towards the door as Tofu's eyes began to glaze over. Before he could open the door, however, Tofu regained his composure and asked one last question.

"Ranma, wait. What do you plan to do? If it really happened and you can’t remember, I mean?"

"If it really happened?" Ranma said slowly, the far away look reappearing in his eyes. "All I know Doc, is that in the Dream; or whatever it is; when I'm with Her...when I'm with Her, I know that everything is right in the world."

**********
Somewhere...
**********

To say that she had had a bad day today would be a major understatement. She had spent all afternoon with Them. Not that They are all that bad in and of themselves; but get Them together when there isn't a crisis of one sort or another going on and they act like...like a bunch of giddy school girls.

Which they are, but that's beside the point.

Just because several of them noticed that she was polite to the geek who runs the Arcade, they got the idea that she like the baka and; of all things; tried to set her up with him. At the time, she didn't know whether to tell them where to shove that idea or to knock the geek across the room when he approached her to ask her out. Looking back, part of her wished she had done both instead of politely rebuffing him.

Then the one she had sworn her life to protect; the one she had waited uncounted ages for to arrive; would not shut up about her future husband. How nice he is, how handsome he is, how wonderful he is, how good a kisser he is, how great in bed he is (Ok, not that last one, but sometime she wished the two would just get it over with; which was yet another thing that frustrated her to no end). She had just gone on and on and on. It almost made her want to grab those stupid ponytails of hers and shove them down her throat, the future be damned.

And, to top it all off, this morning her roommates had spent hours in the bathroom doing Kami knows what. Not only had they used all of the hot water but, to add insult to injury, they used up the last of her shampoo. Her special shampoo. The one made with the extract of peaches.

So yes. She had had a bad day.

Which was why she was here. After all, here she could be alone with her thoughts. Here she could be herself. It was the perfect place to relax in peace and quite, especially since the only way someone else could be here was either by her permission or by breaking the laws of physics.

Finally reaching her goal, she knelt down and; for a moment; looked at the bundle of black cloth before her fondly. She then slowly unwrapped the bundle and a soft, pale green light infused the air. She reached down, caressed the object before her, and felt all of her anger and frustration slip away.

"It won't be long now." She whispered as a small smile appeared on her lips. "It's won't be long until we're together again, my love. And nothing will ever be able to separate us again."

After a few moments looking at the object, she rewrapped it and stood. Feeling much better, she decided to go home; after all, she had to go out and buy more shampoo. As she began to walk away, an odd thought crossed her mind, but she shrugged it off as she always did.

"After all, who would ever think of looking behind the Gates of Time for anything?" She said with a smile as she disappeared.

**********
Author's Notes:
Well, I’ve finally gotten to revising the prologue, so I
Hope you like it.

If you want to send me flames or praise or even suggestions, please
e-mail me at whiteb100@hotmail.com

This fic and others can be found at my FF.Net account, which is
www.fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=266642

Or you can link to my FF.Net account from Thermopyle's website
http://thermopyle.anifics.com

And (although I still need to get them updated) at
http://tannim.anifics.com

11/27/03