Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Crow: Land of the Rising Sun ❯ Prolog ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Dear Diary,

Well here I am, my first full day back
home from my freshman year of collage...although
I don't even know why I I'm here. Perhaps I
should've seen if 'you know who' could've put me
up at the Shrine (not that I've seen her, or any
of the rest of them, in years. But still...). I
mean, I wasn't even inside the front door yesterday
before Papa was all over my case about everything
and anything.

Heh. 'Papa'. I don't even know why I wrote
that. After all, I haven't called them either 'Papa'
or 'Mama' since I was, like, 16. I guess it's because
maybe on some level I still think of them that way.
Don't get me wrong, I still care about them. It's
just that...well, they don't understand me.

Yes, I know that that sounds oh so cliche, but
in my case it's true. Because of who...no, because of
what I am.

A Tool. A Weapon. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know that they don't see me that way, none
of them do. But the fact remains that I have a
'Purpose' in life, and that 'Purpose' is to be an
instrument of mass destruction. A little thing like
that kind of leaves its mark on a girl. People can
sense it, no matter what I do to hide the truth.
I've done everything I can think of to try to fit
in; to be 'normal' (heck I haven't healed anyone
in what, five years now?), but nothing works. I
haven't even had a real friend since...him.

It's hard to believe that it's been seven
years today since 'it' happened. I guess it's because
even though we were together (not that we were
'together' together (although I've always wondered...))
for only a short time, he meant so much to me. He was
the only 'real' friend that I ever had. He didn't care
at all about what I could do, he only cared about 'me'.
I was able to talk to him about anything and he never
judged or belittled me. He in turn was able to talk to
me about his problems, hopes, and dreams without worry
or fear. Mind you, I never told him about my BIG secret;
but I'm absolutely certain that if I had it wouldn't have
mattered to him at all.

Kami...I miss him so.

+++++++++++++++++++++
The grave
is but the threshold of eternity.
-Robert Southey, 'Vision of the Maid of Orleans' (bk II)
+++++++++++++++++++++

The summers' sun shone through the late day cloud cover, casting a wan light over the graveyard. A young woman, pale in complexion, walked slowly past the grave markers, her dark colored clothing making her look as if she were an apparition searching for its final resting place.

Finally, after walking through most of the cemetery, she arrived at her destination in a deserted portion of the burial ground. As she ran a slender hand through her shoulder length ebony hair, her violet eyes frowned as she took in the condition of the plot in front of her. Setting the small bundle that she was carrying next to the grave marker, she knelt down carefully on her black stockings. Taking one last look of disgust at the sight before her, she began to remove the weeds and debris from the mound.

After about a half hours exertion, the young woman was finally satisfied with her work. With a nod of contentment, she reached over to her bundle and undid the knot that held the dark cloth together and removed two boxes. One she set by her side, the other she opened and she began to remove its contents. First, she removed a single white lily and placed it on top of the grave. She then removed several rice crackers and rice balls and set them to the side of the marker. Finally, she removed a small bottle of sake and poured a saucers' worth. After placing her last offering, she brought her hands together in front of her and bowed her head in prayer.

As she prayed, she contemplated the condition of the grave before her. Even though she wasn't surprised at what she had found, she was disappointed. The very first time she visited the grave what she had found defied words. She finally had to go find a caretaker for help to clean up the mess; empty sake bottles, half eaten food, bouquets of flowers and even weapons littered the battle scarred ground surrounding the grave (not to mention the ah...female undergarments). It had taken her several trips back to the cemetery to help repair the damage. The first anniversary of her visit was in some ways relieving, but in other ways very disappointing as all that was left in the way of offerings was a fresh Okonomiyaki and a large bouquet of black roses (with only a small sign that a scuffle had occurred). On the second anniversary all that was to be found was an Okonomiyaki. Since then, every year the young woman would come to pay her respects and there were never any signs that anyone else had come at all.

Coming to the end of her prayer, the young woman smiled blissfully. Smoothing out her black turtleneck and her purple mini-skirt, she relaxed next to the grave. Taking a deep breath, she opened her mouth to speak.

"Caw!"

Turning her head in surprise, she looked around and saw a large black bird was perched on top of the tombstone.

"Well, hello there." She said with a low, melodic voice. "You startled me."

"Caw! Caw!" The bird squawked as it hopped onto the ground and looked up at the young woman.

After watching the bird for a few moments the young woman asked, "Are you hungry? Is that what you're looking for? Food?" Opening the other box she had brought with her, she removed a rice cracker, broke a small piece off, and tossed it towards the bird. "Here you go."

She smiled as she watched the bird hop over to the piece of cracker and pick it up in its beak. Smiling, she settled down in her spot and began to talk, occasionally pausing to take a bite of her food and to feed the bird. She spoke for hours; talking about school, family, life, and anything else that came to mind. As time went on, it felt as if a heavy weight was slowly being lifted from her soul. Finally, as the sun began to sink beyond the horizon, she came to an end.

Casting her last bit of food towards the bird, she gathered her possessions and returned them to the cloth and bundled them up again. She then leaned forward and kissed her fingertips before pressing them against the cold marble. Her fingers slowly traversed the face of the clammy stone as she traced the kanji inscribed there.

With a heavy sigh, she stood and walked to the foot of the grave. With a single tear slowly traveling down the side of her face she bowed deeply. Straightening up, she smiled sadly and spoke one last time.

"Goodbye my friend. I'll see you next year, Ranma."

"Caw! Caw!"

++++++++++++++++++++
People once believed that when someone dies,
a crow carries their soul to the land of the dead.

But sometimes, something so bad happens that a
terrible sadness is carried with it,
and the soul cannot rest.

Then sometimes, just sometimes, the crow
can bring that soul back.

To put the wrong things right.
+++++++++++++++++++++

The Crow: Land of the Rising Sun
A Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, The Crow Fanfiction
by SoftRogue
whiteb100@hotmail.com

Ranma is the creation of Rumiko Takahashi
Sailor Moon is the creation of Naoko Takeuchi
The Crow is the creation of James O'Barr
I do not own them, so please don't sue me