Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Slayers Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Chaos ❯ Perfect Sunrise ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ranma 1/2/Sailor Moon/Slayers Crossover Fanfiction

Disclaimer: I do not own Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon or Slayers Anime/Manga. Ranma 1/2 belongs to the lovely Lady Rumiko Takahashi. Sailor Moon belongs to Naoko Takeuchi and finally Slayers belongs to Hajime Kanzaka. This story is created solely for entertainment purposes and no profits are gained from writing this story.

" " - Speech

' ' - Thoughts

Perfect Chaos

By Montymouse

Chapter Eight - Perfect Sunrise

XXXXX

Past (Silver Millennium Timeline) . . . Pluto

Ranma Saotome also known as Ran Greystar watched the bleak landscape speed past the Saturn Shuttle, circling round white capped mountains of soaring majesty. A constant hard winter was coming to this part of the world and the beauty below was breathtaking. Frozen mountaintop lakes glittered in the thin light. Ranma did wonder how the people of this world could survive in such harsh condition in below zero temperatures. The shuttle banked, following the line of mountains. Ranma sighed as he glanced down at the console in front of him, constantly checking that they were on the right track by cross referencing their current coordinates with the preset standard route on the computer database. Ranma really didn't want to get stranded her nor anywhere else on this icy planet, he would rather be back on Saturn. His expression changed to a look of content as his memories started to come back to him of Hotaru in happier times when they were young.

It had been two days since Ranma had last contacted her via a secure private video data link when they were back on the Saturn Battlecruiser. The anxious look on her gentle face for his swift safe return didn't help ease his mind at rest as he felt an overwhelming need and desire to be there at her side, protecting her for dark times to come. Ranma dismissed Hotaru from his thought as now wasn't the time to cloud his mind. Right now, he needed to be totally focused and concentrated on the task on hand. He had a sworn duty to the Queen of Saturn and her Royal Court to perform, remembering the length oath he took upon entering military service. Ranma was reassured by his old friend as he reminded him that everything would turn out fine. Ranma deep down wasn't sure, he was sure that he was missing something like he wasn't seeing the big picture but just couldn't figure for the life of him nor where to start. The shuttle began to descend as they cleared the mountain range. Ranma stared out of the shuttle window as the white clouds vanished from sight, allowing him a clear view to gaze at the world below.

"There really isn't much to see down there, Ran. Well, not until we reached the Planetary Capital anyway." Ranma's attention lifted his head and looked across towards the pilot seat.

Sitting in the pilot's seat was a slightly older bearded man, looking relaxed and unconcerned about the fact they were heading towards the icy capital of Pluto, rumored to be the place where hell just froze or something like that. It was the last place anyone would want to visit. Commander Taris Madok wasn't one of those people.

"I can see that," Ranma replied. "Tell me again, why are we doing this?"

Taris grinned but sighed inwards as this was the fifth time that Ran had asked that question.

"We're on a diplomatic mission of vital importance, that's all I can tell you right now." Taris answered without taking his eyes off the visual display screen as he proficiently piloted the shuttlecraft through another mountainous range, ascending towards the skies to clear the dangerous rocky mountain and immediately found himself navigating through a difficult patch of turbulence in the cloudy atmosphere.

Taris spared a quick glance at Ranma with a reassuring smile. "Just relax, Ran. This isn't one of those dangerous one way ticket missions like we did before."

"Are you sure about that?" Ranma raised an eyebrow whilst giving him an unconvinced look. He also quickly started to put on his restraining harness and belt as he felt like he was being tossed around in his seat as the shuttle continued to ride out the difficult patch of turbulence.

"Damn! I can't see a bloody thing in this atmosphere," Taris cursed under his breath as the shuttle started to lose altitude and began to alter course.

"Taris, take it easy, why don't you?" Ranma said, seeing the rising tension on Taris face. The shuttle's engines roared along the line of a fast flowing river at an extreme fast speed as the shuttle made a sharp turn. Ranma was bracing himself against his seat as Taris flying came awfully close to colliding with various objects on the landscape.

"Ran, where is our current position?" Taris hastily demanded, not taking his eyes of the display screen.

Ranma nodded at Taris request and quickly looked at his navigational display system, checking the log runes to get a clear reading of their coordinates. He then adjusted the sensory reading to match his reading. Ranma quickly doubled checked his reading he was getting from with the exterior radar and sensors.

"According to what I am getting, we're nearly eight hundred kilometres west of the Capital, somewhere near Sector thirty sex of the northern quadrant." Ranma answered confidently. He had remembered the untold number of hard hours training on the combat simulators and on the space battles as a fully experience combat fighter pilot.

"Is there anyone following us?" Taris inquired.

"Erm . . . no," Ranma replied, a little confused by the nature of his question. "Why do you ask? I mean, the Plutonian Council is expecting us?"

Taris paused in his answer slightly. "Of course they are expecting us, they did invite us first. There nothing to worry about, just some bad habits, that's all."

"I know what you mean." Taris grinned at Ranma's reply.

"You would have informed me if otherwise." Ranma asked.

Taris nodded. He suddenly thought of something that COULD get them clear of this bad spell of turbulence. He quickly checked his reading and position and mentally mapped the desired route in his head that he would take. It was risky but was a lot better than they were in right now, taking in the fuel and time factors into the mental equation.

"Right," Taris made his decision. "Now hold on tight, Ran! It's going to one rough ride!" Taris warned and reached forwards over his control console and immediately activated the rune symbols for manual override control.

Ranma paled slightly as he recognised the runes he pressed and started to sweat a little.

"Err . . . Taris, what are you thinking of doing?" Ranma asked hesitantly.

Taris grinned as he started to put on his own restraining harness and looked at Ranma before answering in a calm and collective tone.

"I'm taking a short detour, of course. Nothing to worry about, Ran."

Alarm bells rang in Ranma's head as flashbacks of previous experience when Taris used that tone of voice when he was about to do something.

"Now, hang on a second, Taris . . ." Ranma's protest was cut short as the shuttle sharply dived at almost suicidal ninety degree angle.

Five heart stopping minutes later . . .

'That was . . . unpleasant,' Ranma thought when he manages to regain his senses and importantly his stomach. He quickly made a mental note to himself for future reference. 'Note to self: next time, I'm flying!'

Taris wiped a bead of sweat from his brow, satisfied by the outcome as they flew in relatively calm conditions.

"At least, we made it out of that bad patch." Taris said. Ranma glowered at him with a look of promised painful death.

"You almost got us both killed!" Ranma snapped at Taris rather reckless flying.

Taris snorted. "I suppose YOUR flying skills are better?"

"Well . . . yeah!" Ranma replied confidently.

"Oh really," Taris stroked his beard. "I suppose by that, as I recall on one occasion, you meant flying into a black hole counts as a shortcut?" Taris said, raising a curious eyebrow along with a smug look.

Ranma's expression was a look of slight embarrassment to a look of anger then to an embarrassment as he just remembered that particular incident that Taris was referring to. He remembered that incident well when Ranma was in charge of scouting out new suitable planets for their Saturn colonies.

"That was just the ONE time!" Ranma said sharply. He subconsciously started to scratch the back of his head when he gets nervous or hesitant in these situations before quickly regaining his composure. He hated to lose augment especially against Taris.

"How was I supposed to know it was there?"

Taris simply rolled his eyes back.

"Well, for starters, you can't bloody miss it, you know . . . it's a huge void of darkness that draws in planets and practically everything into its swirling centre including light!" Taris quickly countered with his point.

Ranma was about to protest again but caught the glimpse of the Plutonian Capital on his long range sensors. Forgetting their current argument, Ranma and Taris immediately turned towards their control console. Ranma bought up a large image on the main screen. It was a dark scar on the snow covered flank of a vastly huge mountain filled with emerald towers and in the centre was a large citadel palace surrounded by huge city defense wall. Its rocky slopes crowned the emerald marble buildings and elegant, columned structures.

"Emerald City," Ranma whispered quietly.

"What was that?" Taris asked, just barely hearing his whisper.

"Huh," Ranma said in a slightly surprise tone that he managed to hear him. "It's nothing."

Taris nodded. He was too busy to inquire further as he had to guide the shuttle towards the Capital. Ranma quickly determined their location and pinpointed their coordinates and fed them to Taris main console.

"Final Approach granted, Taris . . . two minutes." Ranma said as soon as Plutonian Authorization was received.

"Here we go, switching to tower control and guidance." Taris said as he switched from manual to automated control.

A few moments later, the shuttle began its slowing and descending towards the blinking red and green lights of the landing platform which was just outside the exterior place walls. Landing gears was lowered down as soon as sensors detected the ground level at ten metres. The shuttle touched down the upper landing platform of the spaceport, the screaming of the engines slowly downing down.

"Well . . . I would have expected you at least to crash into the palace walls," Ranma joked and unbuckled his restraining harness. Taris did the same and began the shutdown sequence.

Taris gave a few fake laughs.

"Very funny," Taris said amusingly.

He then turned his attention to one of smaller exterior shuttle screens where a dozen armed dressed in royal green heavily emerald cloaks and green armour marching down the landing platform. Taris immediately assumed that were members of the Royal Palace Guard from their identification insignia. He also saw a rather regal white haired looking man amongst the guard as they all stood on the edge of the landing platform.

Taris stared at the screen, wondering what to make out of this situation.

"Hmm . . . it's seems that we have small welcoming party waiting for us."

"Don't look too friendly," Ranma commented, noticing the weapons they were carrying as he looked at the screen. "Well, I suppose we have no choice about it. Let's go and say hi to them, okay." Ranma said in confident tone, making sure that he took his sword with him from under the storage compartment.

Taris was silent as soon as they exited the shuttle and began to grip the hilt of his decorated sword. Ranma notice the slight tension and anticipation in Taris body language and stance. He wondered what was going through Taris head. From what Ranma could gather, he was clearly looking agitated and tense unlike his cool headed demure.

"I don't like this at all," Ranma whispered.

Ranma could hear from his acute hearing and heighten martial arts sensory perception the humming sound of the energy force field being activated and thrown up. The invisible shielding around the platform was raised in the event of the shuttle from being attack from outsiders or preventing the shuttle from escaping.

Taris nodded. His hand was firmly over the hilt of his sword, ready to drawn out the moment trouble arises.

"I know what you mean." Taris said. "What does you gut instinct tell you?"

"To screw this mission and get the hell out of here, where we are suppose to belong . . . back on Saturn." Ranma answered quietly.

Taris chuckled. "I agree with you on that part . . . but,"

"I know," Ranma said.

Taris nodded. "I glad you understand, we have been personally invited by the Royal House of Pluto and as we are the representatives of the Saturn Royal House and Authority, we must attend."

"Yeah, I know but still . . ."

"Don't sweat about it, Ran. This will be over in no time." Taris said reassuring.

Ranma nodded as he straightens out his uniform as welcoming party approached them. Taris raised his head high as they walked towards to meet them half way. The regal white haired man stepped forward, bowing his head and dropping to one knee before Taris. Ranma was silent as the man introduces himself.

"Honored Lord, I am a humble servant to the Royal Court of Pluto, Kris Hando. I bid you welcome. I am here to see you are personally escort to the palace."

"I thank you for your welcome, Sir Hando." Taris said in a formal tone.

"I am Lord Taris Madok of Rhea, Supreme Commander of the Saturn Military Forces."

The white haired man looked up and nodded, his gaze turning towards the pigtailed companion next to the Saturn Commander.

"This is Commander Ran Greystar . . ." Taris introduced and grinned.

"And he is also the Official Royal Consort to the Princess of Saturn."

Ranma immediately saw the startled look on the old man's face as soon as his name was mentioned and his connection to the Royal House of Saturn. It was like he had seen a ghost or something like that. His skin turned paler than it should be as Kris Hando seems to gawk at Ranma for second or so before recovering his senses and rose to his feet, brushed his robes and coat flat.

Kris bowed nervously to Ranma and said. "Commander Greystar, we have all heard of your reputation and bid you welcome also."

Ranma nodded and returned the bow. "Thanks for inviting us."

Kris smiled crookedly and nodded, turning to face the Plutonian Guards who had accompanied him.

"These Guards are from the Royal Plutonian Regiment and will be your armed escort for today." Kris paused. "Please do not be offended but it is a matter of security that you hand over all your weapons you may possess to us before we proceed on towards the citadel." Kris said sternly, trying to cover his nervousness in his tone.

"Commander Madok?"

Ranma spared a glance towards Taris if this was a wise to trust this old man. Taris looked at the Plutonian Guards that were surrounding them and nodded slightly towards Ranma.

"Your weapons will be returned back to you. Please, it is a just a security procedure as no guests are allowed within the walls of the palace with the exception of the Royal Guards. " Kris added, also sensing their hesitation in handing over the weapons.

Kris sighed inwards in relief as Taris unbuckled his sword around his waist and sidearm, removing the magazine clip and handling them both to him. The Plutonian Guards relaxed their stance as they had all heard of Commander Taris and Ran fearsome reputation in close combat. Kris smiled weakly at Ran.

"Commander Greystar, your weapons please," Kris said in a low voice. It was clear to Ranma and Taris that he was afraid of him like he done something to scare the crap of out of him. Ranma spared another glance at Taris who nodded.

"Fine," Ranma said under his breath.

Two of the Plutonian Guards had walked behind them whilst the others stood on either side of them. Kris expression improved significantly as Ranma handed over his sword but was surprised to see that he didn't seem to carry any firearm of sorts which was unusual.

Kris walked slightly ahead and beckoned them onwards.

"Now, Lord Madok, Lord Greystar, please follows me. The others have been waiting for your arrival for quite some time."

An hour later . . .

"Taris, why the hell did you say I was engaged to the Princess of Saturn?" Ranma inquired in a slightly annoyed tone. The last thing he needed right now was not to draw unnecessary attention to him or Taris. Also he didn't want feed the rumor mill about the feared Senshi of the Silence with idol gossip.

Taris grinned in an all knowing fashion. "I just thought it was appropriate to know that the fiancée of the Princess of Saturn was here on Pluto. I suppose we be getting better treatment while we are here."

Ranma sighed, looking at the polish floor before looking at Taris. A small grin ran across Ranma's features.

"Taris, you know if she hears about this . . ."

"I know." Taris said, shrugging slightly. "As long as I return her fiancée back in one piece, I got nothing to worry about."

"Oh . . . well, how come I feel like I'm been treated like a china doll here." Ranma muttered to himself and rubbed his forehead.

Taris just chuckled as they followed Kris through the main hallway of the Plutonian Palace until they reached a rather large eight panel double doorway. At least a dozen Royal Guards were stationed on either side of the main entrance of the palace audience hall.

"Here we go, ready, Ran?" Taris asked.

"Yeah, I suppose." He replied in a low tone.

Ranma quickly made sure he was presentable. Making sure that his uniform was buttoned up and even straightened out his uniform in nervous anticipation. Taris grinned as Kris talked to the royal announcer of their arrival. Ranma knew something was up when the Royal Heraldry looked shock and almost frightened which most likely caused by the mention of his name and his royal connection. Ranma sighed and cast a quick glare at Taris. Taris simply ignored Ranma's look of annoyance as Kris returned towards back to them.

"The Princess of Pluto and her Royal Court awaits your arrival. I shall be taking my leave now, good day to you, sire." Kris bowed towards Taris.

"Lord Greystar." Kris said and bowed before heading down one of the side corridors as the royal escort departed with him.

Ranma and Taris looked at each other and then at the doorway as main doors were paused aside by the Royal Guards and the Royal Heraldry marched in front of them.

'Ah, nuts, it's the same of thing!' Ranma thought immediately as soon as he caught a glimpse of what awaited them.

A terrible hush fell on the huge audience hall as Ranma and Taris step foot into the hall, there was at least a hundred people - nobility, dignitaries, Lords and servants - stared in shock and awe at Ranma. Everyone thought he was dead according to the rumors and reports that he died in a terrible battle. Some others fainted while others simply took a step back into the crowd, knowing how dangerous Ranma was and also his close personal relationship with the Princess of Saturn meant that he was one of the most influential people on the planet and perhaps the whole Solar System.

Trumpets suddenly blared a fanfare and many people jumped.

"Lords, Ladies, Captains, Officers, Knights of the Court," the Royal Heraldry exclaimed and paused. Ranma and Taris were greeted with more silence.

"May I present to her Royal Highness and the Royal Court of Pluto."

A pause of suspense . . .

"Supreme Commander of Saturn and Lord of Rhea, Taris Madok," he said in a flawless voice. "And . . ."

'This is going to painful,' thought Ranma as he resisted the urge to fidget with his pigtail or his uniform.

"Commander and Royal Knight and Consort to the Princess of Saturn . . ." The Heraldry paused, trying his best to maintain concentration. "Ran Greystar has arrived."

The Royal Heraldry quickly turned on his heel and departed into the crowd. Taris sighed inwards . . . it was always the same every time everywhere. Ranma looked at the blank faces of the crowds to see if any of them rung any bells from his memories as they started to walked down the small flight of stairs.

"Welcome and I thank you for accepting our invitation." A calm and cool voice with a hint of seduction was heard.

Ranma looked up to see it came from long green hair woman standing on the far side of the audience hall. Her features were like a classic timeless beauty. Taris on the other hand seemed to be getting apprehensive as they approached closer towards the throne.

She was tall, striking, long haired woman, dressed in a long green beneath an elegant green gown like dress. Her bearing suggests great personal power and her eyes reveal a cold steel determination in her eyes. She demanded utter respect and loyalty from her followers which she received with the up most attention. She stands there as she began to greet the two representatives of Saturn.

"Commander Greystar," she greeted in cold and emotionless tone. The eyes of blood red seem to penetrate deep within his soul. Ranma felt a cold chill down his spine as she says his name.

"Lord Commander Madok," she greeted him but something was a little off in Ranma's opinion. It was different how she greeted him; it was almost like they were acquainted with each other before.

"I am Princess Setsuna Meiou, Princess of Pluto, Senshi of Time and Advisor to Queen Serenity." She introduced herself to the two Commanders of Saturn. "We have much to discuss."

With that last sentence, she turned to face two other representatives who were standing beside her. She then gestured to one of her Royal servants to dismiss the audience as she started walking towards the council chamber connected to the main audience hall. Taris followed her whilst Ranma took a moment to study the two representatives.

'Hmm . . . the plot thickens' thought Ranma as he started to remember some information when he was searching the Saturn military database.

The one nearest to the Princess of Pluto was a rather attractive blond haired guy and the other was a old looking man which his insignia clearly shown on his aqua blue uniform and cloak to reveal that he was here to represent the interests of Neptune.

XXXXX

Taris and Ranma were standing at one end of a large private chamber. Along with them with the exception of the Plutonian Royal Guards was the blond haired man in smart formal military uniform and the representative from Neptune. The Princess of Pluto had left them to be acquainted with each other for a few moments before returning back to them. The Princess of Pluto brushed back her long waist height green hair and clasped her hands together. She waited for a moment before coughing softly in her hand to get their attention.

"As I understand, you should all know each other in the past but allow me to introduce the Planetary Representatives for our councils to our new guests from Saturn." Setsuna announced formally as she gestured towards the older man in Aqua coloured uniform.

"This is General Virden Aster of the 21st Neptune Orbital Taskforce, he is here as the Neptune Representative of Interest." Setsuna introduced.

Virden Aster raised his right hand and saluted the two Saturn Representatives in a traditional Neptune military fashion. Ranma did so and returned the gesture with the Saturn salute which took half the time that the Neptune version did. Virden looked at Taris who seemed to hesitate at first before eventually returning the favor. Setsuna watched with a keen interest between the two Generals, it was quite clear to her that there was some bad history between General Virden and Commander Taris.

"And this," Setsuna coughed, gesturing to the blond haired general.

The Princess of Pluto didn't have the chance to finish her formal introductions as the blond general stepped forwards and offered a gloved hand to Ranma.

"Colonel Takashi Ten'ou, Commander in chief of the Uranus Task force regiment. It is a pleasure to meet you, Ran. I have heard a lot about you from Taris. I'm looking forward to fighting with you. Well, not fighting with you, but you understands what I'm getting at?"

"Err . . ." Ranma looked at the Takashi's face of enthusiasms but quickly decide to accept quickly to avoid offending him.

Ran took the proffered hand and Takashi enthusiastically pumped his hand up and down, gripping Ranma's elbow with the other hand as Takashi did so. Eventually, Takashi released Ranma and stepped back but not before leaning forwards and whispering into his ear.

"Plus you got one cute butt," Takashi said in a very low tone. Ranma was startled by his admission and immediately looked at Taris who couldn't help but grin, almost on the verge of bursting out laugher. Takashi then swiftly turned around before Ranma had the chance to reply to this bold statement.

'There is no way in hell . . .' thought Ranma as he resisted the idea of a guy liking him in that sort of way, heck, he didn't even have his curse on him so it was quite disturbing.

"I shall be leaving you temporarily, please ask my guards if you need anything." Setsuna said and left the room through a side entrance. Two Royal Plutonian Guards emerged through the entrance and stood in silence.

Colonel Takashi saluted Taris smartly.

"Commander Madok of the Saturn Force," Takashi said and shook the Taris' offered hand. "I wish I was happier to see you." Takashi said respectfully.

Taris smiled a little. Ranma was puzzled, he knew that Taris has quiet clearly voiced his distaste from the outer planets but it seemed to him that Taris and Takashi seemed to like each other.

"I wish the same too," Taris replied. "It's good to see again, Colonel." Takashi's smile turned into a grin.

Ranma suddenly remembered that Colonel Takashi's forces has worked well with Taris forces and served alongside each other on many occasion in the past. Ranma could plainly see the genuine, mutual admiration between them but with General Virden it was a different matter altogether.

"Always a pleasure and I hope we diffuse whatever it is that we were summoned here." Takashi said before noticing Virden waiting for him.

"We talk later," Takashi said and walked towards the Neptune representative for a quiet word.

Taris nodded and turned to walk towards Ranma. He then placed a hand on his shoulder. Ranma immediately shrugged it off. Taris didn't take offence as he knew what was going through Ranma's mind and decided to have some fun at his expense.

Taris chuckled quietly. "I see that Takashi has takes a shine towards you. There aren't many people who can get Takashi likes that."

"What is that suppose to mean!" Ranma said, almost snapping at him for that remark, part of him reacting to anyone questioning his manliness.

Taris was slightly taken back by Ranma's sudden outburst. Normally Ran would usually laugh it off but it seems like he had hit a sore spot. Then again, perhaps he had gone to far Taris thought and decided to apologies to avoid any bad tension between them.

"Ran, I'm . . ."

"Sorry," Ranma said, beating him to the punch as he bowed his head down. "I didn't mean to snap at you like that."

"Oh," Taris was unsure what to say. "Well, I'm sorry too, I didn't know . . . you know that you were sensitive. You were always so confident about yourself. Did something happen to you when you were gone?" Taris inquired, hoping Ranma would shred some light into his disappearance or perhaps remember something.

Ranma shrugged and quietly said. "I don't know."

Taris blinked. "I see . . . well, you do know that I'm here, if do remember anything."

Ranma lifted his head and nodded. "Thanks."

He looked up to see Takashi walking to him after finishing he finished chatting with the Neptune commander, there was a grim expression which made Ranma wonder what was said between those two. Takashi's expression was quickly replaced with a calmer look like earlier.

"Commander Madok, Commander Greystar, Commander Aster and Colonel Ten'ou," Setsuna said, a startled gasp was heard as she seemed to come out of nowhere.

"Now that we all know each other, everything is prepared." Setsuna paused. "We should proceed with the council meeting, yes?" she said in uncomfortable tone.

Taris nodded. "You are correct, Princess. It is the main reason why we are here, isn't that so?" Setsuna nodded as she turned and indicated to Takashi and Ranma to follow her towards the council chamber. Taris followed her through the side passage.

"Oh right," said Takashi, who standing next to Ranma. "I suppose we don't have much time to waste and should begin preparations for the coming battles."

'Battles . . . what battles? I thought this was supposed to be a diplomatic mission.' Ranma thought as he could just detect a hint of anticipation in the colonel's voice. Takashi looked at Ranma with a pleasant smile before moving on to catch up with Commander Taris and the Plutonian Princess.

Ranma suppressed the urge to shudder. He thought that it maybe just Takashi's personality and nothing else . . . at least he hope not.

'There is definitely something about Takashi.' Ranma thought.

XXXXX

The chamber of council was in short, lavish, paneled with dark hardwood and hung with tapestries. A roaring fire burned in a large fireplace at one end of the chamber. The entire floor was covered with a polished granite stone. In the centre was a rather large circular table with an intricate crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling. A Plutonian Royal Guard stood in fully uniform in every corner of the chamber, silent and immobile.

Sat on the left hand side of the circular table were Taris Madok and Ran Greystar. Standing opposite them was Takashi Ten'ou and General Virden Aster. They were all waiting in silence for the arrival of the Plutonian Princess. The tension in the atmosphere could easily be cut through with hot knife as Taris tried his best not to glare or show his distaste at the Neptune General. The last time they had parted company wasn't on the best of terms. Ranma seemed bored out of his mind, resting an elbow whilst tapping on the table with his fingernails to pass the time. Ranma was wondering how long this was going to take, he also felt a slight feeling of discomfort. Ranma looked across the large circular table to where the two representatives from Neptune and Uranus were sat. Takashi just happened to look up and smiled in a friendly way. Ranma immediately averted his gaze to avoid eye contact, just as the Princess, Setsuna Meiou entered the chamber. She gracefully walked towards the large table and placed her right gloved hand on a set of symbols imbedded into the table.

Everyone in the chamber looked at the centre of the table as a large holographic system chart. Tactical displays and markers were soon added to the chart reveal the friendly and enemy forces in the conflict region.

"So it true," Virden said as he assessed the scale of the conflict. His years of experience told him that the attacks marked on the chart suggested that this was no ordinary rebellion. Virden could easily tell that the pattern of attacks was too well planned and organized to just a simply random uprising.

Takashi nodded at Virden short comment.

"This is no uprising," Taris whispered as he had seen this type before.

'This is a deliberate systematic destruction of our colonies.' Taris thought as he noted the number of planets that have been taken over and was also aware of the number of planets that were marked inhabitable now were labeled as dead worlds.

"The entire colony defense force stationed in this region of space has been shattered." Setsuna informed them in a quite tone. "The Aolave Colony was destroyed. The planet itself is now a giant fireball."

"Destroyed? Fireball . . . planet destroyed?" Ranma whispered.

"It's gone," Setsuna said flatly upon hearing Ranma's comment. "According to the intelligence we have gathered, the rebels operating in this sector has somehow managed to get hold of a planet killer. Unfortunately we have no idea how this happened nor do we know who is behind this. The destruction of the Aolave Colony poses a direct threat to our other colonies in that region and sends us a clear message that they are to be taken seriously."

"This is a matter that concerns us gravely . . . if the enemy has managed to deploy a planet killer successfully. It poses a great risk to this system and the security of our deep space colonies. This is the reason why I have summoned you all here, to discuss how we shall deal with this threat." Setsuna informed the war council assembled. "Firstly, I would like to make clear that I am the only here with the authority from Queen Serenity to do anything about what I see fits in dealing with the rebellion that has been plaguing our colonies." Setsuna stated clearly her clearance. Her voice was stern and authoritative causing everyone to pay close attention to her.

Colonel Takashi Ten'ou and General Virden Aster nodded in understanding the statement that the Princess of Pluto has given. Setsuna was also one of Serenity most trusty advisors in matters such as this.

"Then we will need to work closely together, Princess," said Taris, sparing a quick glance towards the representatives of Neptune and Uranus to see their reactions.

Ranma remained calm and collected. Inside, he couldn't help but feel a sense that he had met her before.

Setsuna nodded. "Indeed, we do, Commander Madok."

She carefully activated some hidden runic symbols on the circular table as a holographic image of a sector of space.

"We have reason to believe there is a growing threat in this sector," Setsuna zoomed into a cluster of planets. "We have isolated the threat would emerge or due to emerge somewhere on here."

Setsuna gazed into each and every one of the people present in the chamber.

"It is your duty to find them and, with the support of everyone present, to destroy or suppress the rebellion by any means necessary." Setsuna paused as she allowed the information to settle in. "I am willing to listen to each and everyone of you to what plan of action you may suggest."

General Virden stood up and straightens out his aqua uniform.

"Princess Pluto, the dire situation calls for drastic actions."

Setsuna acting as the mediator between the planetary representatives listened to Virden proposed plan.

"This is not a simple rebellion. This is the beginning of a war of conquest. The rebels in this sector are being aided by an unknown benefactor." Virden paused and took a deep breath. He was also attempting to analysis their reactions before continuing.

"The rebels are massing, arming and rising to conquer and control all the outer colonies in this sector and those that cannot be taken are simply exterminated as you can see. They have finally developed a weapon that can destroy worlds."

"What do you suggest we should do?" Setsuna asked the Neptune General.

"We should fight fire with fire, destroy all the rebel bases and those that under their control. We must make an iron example to all those who would attack our colonies, it is the only way and . . ."

Ranma immediately stood up and slammed his fist on the table catching everyone's attention in the chamber.

"You are as bad as those rebels!" Ranma exclaimed after hearing enough for Virden's plan.

Taris sighed inwards whilst Takashi grinned in amusement.

"Commander Greystar, restrain yourself or I will be forced to escort you out of this war council." Setsuna warned sharply as she leveled a stern gaze at Ranma to comply or else.

"Ran, calm down," Taris whispered, attempting to diffuse the situation. Although he personally didn't like the idea of wiping out an entire planet just to suppressed the rebels, it would not achieve the objective intended. Such as who was the unknown benefactor aiding the rebels and most importantly why? Taris had shown restrain and military discipline unfortunately Ran didn't have the same control as he had.

"It isn't right, we shouldn't be doing this." Ranma protested.

Taris shook his head. "I know, trust me. We shall be getting our turn in this discussion but right now I need you to back me up on this."

Ranma sighed and backed down. He knew that Taris was right and sat down, casting a cautious gaze towards General Virden. General Virden coughed in his hand, ignoring Ranma completely.

"As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, I suggest using our full might on these pathetic rebels before they turn their sights on our home worlds. That is all." Virden concluded.

"A bold plan indeed, General Virden," Setsuna commented. "You may be seated now."

"Colonel, anything you want to add to this discussion?" Setsuna asked the Uranus representative.

Takashi shook his head slightly. "Hmm . . . nothing at the moment, Princess Pluto."

Setsuna nodded and turned her gaze towards Commander Taris.

Taris nodded and stepped up to the chart table, pulling off his gloves and studying the display. He then cast a quick glance towards General Virden. Taris had not forgotten that Virden's callous leadership had resulted in heavy losses in the Saturnian's ranks from friendly bombardments. Taris was well versed in the political arena as well as a combat leader, and he knew how this game as well as any general.

"Commander Madok, what do you proposal we should about this rebellion?" Setsuna inquired.

General Virden simply stared at Taris with utter loathing for dismissing his own plans whilst keeping a calm nature. Colonel Takashi and practically everyone in the military forces knew that Virden and Takashi hated each other as they had shared a long bitter history.

Taris could help but smile as he began to outline his plan of action.

Later . . . outside the Plutonian Citadel

Ranma was leaning against the green marble coloured wall, thinking about what was discuss in the council meeting. He felt an uneasy feeling on what was being asked from them. It seemed to him that a majority of the task force would be comprised of Saturn forces with the support from the Uranus, Neptune and Plutonian forces. It seemed to him that they got a bad deal out of this. Also what surprised him was the calm nature that Taris was displaying. He normally would try to bargain his way into the meeting so that the people of Saturn would get a fairer deal but it seemed to him that he would showing a great deal of respect to the Princess of Pluto and restrain at the other representatives.

Taris was sitting on the emerald stone steps, looking at the scarce green vegetation against the white background. His grim expression told Ranma everything that he too was feeling the same way. There were a few silences as they nothing to do expect reflecting on the meeting until they heard the heavy footsteps of armed guards heading towards them. Taris immediately rose to his feet and straightened his uniform. Ranma did so likewise and stood beside him. It was just then, that several armed emerald coated Guards marched down the marble stairs. Taris looked up with a calm relaxed expression whilst Ranma slightly entered into a defensive stance in a state of alert.

"Lord Commander Madok," the Captain of the Plutonian Guards requested formally. "Princess Setsuna has requested your presence in private, will you comply?"

"What is the reason for this request?" Taris asked, noticing a frown on the Captain's face.

"She did not give one. Will you comply?" He asked again. Taris thought about it for a few seconds before nodding.

"I see . . . very well, I accept her request, Captain." Taris said and stepped forward as the Plutonian Guards parted aside to allow him through. Ranma stepped forwards but was immediately blocked by the Captain and two other guards.

"What's the big deal?" Ranma protested, took a careful step back, making sure that he was balanced on the flight of steps. He then adopted a concealed offensive stance just in case. "Let me through."

"Princess Setsuna has requested Lord Madok presence only." The Captain said and was about to push him back when Taris turned around.

"Ran, its okay, there is nothing to be concerned about."

Ranma stopped and looked up. Taris could see the look of puzzlement and uncertainty clearly expressed on his face. "Are you sure?"

Taris nodded in acknowledgement. "Try to do something productive while I'm gone. See to the shuttle that everything is ready for my return. I won't be gone too long." He said and with that, he turned around as the Plutonian Guards marched alongside him into the palace.

"Err . . . sure. I will be waiting." Ranma turned and headed down the stair but not before giving the Captain a stern glance.

As Ranma began to head towards the spaceport, in the many windows of the Plutonian Citadel, someone partially hidden in the shadows was watching his movements with keen interest.

Plutonian Spaceport . . .

Ranma gazed up at the sloping Citadel walls that stretched around the entire Plutonian Citadel. Ten metres and sheathed in smooth emerald coloured stone, the wall sparkled and glittered like stars in the low sun. There was a foaming waterfall, pouring from the centre of the wall that Ranma was standing. The roaring sound of purified water as it flowed from a copper channel embedded in its centre, fed a small drinking fountain and filed the surrounding air with a chill mist of icy water.

The evening was bitingly cold and his breath feathered before, though his uniform offered little to protect him from the frosty air but despite this.

'What is taking him so long?' Ranma thought to himself as he continued to pace up and down, rubbing his arms as the evening chill started to settle in.

Ranma suddenly had an idea to keep warm. By focusing his Chi between his hands, he started to create a small miniature Möko Takabisha. He used the small Chi fireball to draw warmth from to himself.

'Damn, this cold weather,' Ranma thought.

Ranma decided that he would be better off in the shuttle rather than waiting outside the Citadel walls. Taris did say that he would later join him at the spaceport after his private audience with the Princess of Pluto and besides, it would be warmer than staying out here.

Ranma quickly extinguish the small Chi fireball and adjusted his robe cloak before swiftly turning toward the general direction of the spaceport.

"Commander Greystar."

Ranma stopped in his tracks upon hearing someone calling his name. Slowly he turned around to see who it was. He was surprised at first as there standing in front of him was a shivering and slightly pale coloured officer. The officer was wearing a blue, fur collared coat and matching peaked cap. In addition to his dress uniform, he wore a light blue scarf around his neck and thick mittens, thrust deep in his coat's baggy pockets. Ranma calmed down slightly as he recognised who the officer was. The military insignia on the officer's shoulders and coat confirmed Ranma's assumption that this was Colonel Takashi of the Uranus Task force regiment and planetary representative.

"Colonel Takashi," Ranma said in a formal tone.

"A bit agitated are we?" Takashi commented in a hush voice.

"Huh?" Ranma said in a slightly confused tone. "What ever do you mean by that?"

Takashi simply pointed to slightly unsheathed sword. Ranma looked towards his belt and had indeed slightly unsheathed his sword, the light from the sun, revealing the tempered cool steel of his sword from its protective scabbard.

"Hmm . . ." Ranma notice that Takashi made no attempts to reach for her weapon.

There was an awkward silence between them.

"I don't think you meant to do that, am I correct?" Takashi inquired, looking straight at Ranma's face.

"Unless you are serious about it, perhaps," Takashi said in a sterner tone of voice.

Ranma shook his head, realising the implications of an unsheathed weapon, especially between military officers.

"Err . . ." Ranma quickly regain his composure.

"No, it was a slightly misunderstanding on my behalf, I apologies for giving such false intentions." He immediately gave apologetic look towards the Colonel and bowed his head in slightly embarrassment.

Most cultures and societies would consider an unsheathed weapon as a sign of an honour or duel challenge to one individual especially in the military. The last thing he needed right now was getting into a mortal fight with anyone. Ranma hadn't realised that he did unsheathed his weapon until Takashi pointed it out and was relieved that the Colonel didn't take it serious into this simple gesture.

Takashi's stern expression softens in content look. Takashi then notice some sort of heraldic crest on Ranma's sword and wondered for a moment which noble house would owe him so much to gift him such a magnificent crafted sword. The crest was clearly indicated that it was a prestige house but couldn't actually tell without further inspection.

Takashi then looked up towards Ranma's face and decides that was a harmless mistake rather than a formal challenge.

"I thought so, it's must be hard day for you, Commander Greystar." Takashi replied.

"Tell me about it," Ranma nodded.

"Anyway Apology accepted, shall we start over?" Takashi simply took off a mitten and held out a hand.

Ranma smiled and took the friendly gesture.

"Commander Greystar, a rare pleasure to meet you in private. I have heard of your reputation and you are as handsome as they say."

"Thanks," Ranma replied slight hesitation in his tone but you know, most of what I done in the past has been exaggerated and clearly blown out of proportion."

Takashi raised an eyebrow in curiosity to Ranma's admission. "Perhaps you would care to clarify the situation from your own point of view, Commander?"

Ranma sighed inwards. 'Where am I going to start from?'

Meanwhile . . . within the private rooms in the citadel

The commander of the Saturn Command and Crowned Princess of Pluto were currently in one of the stately rooms on the west wing of the Plutonian Palace. Like all the rooms in the palace, it was complex of lavish hardwood panels which bought a sense of elegance and statue as the cost of wood used would end up in tens of thousands just to cover this one room. It was mainly due to the planet's distance from the sun has resulted in producing very little vegetations. Also most of the planet's surface was covered in ice which meant that most of the basic necessities had to be imported in vast quantities from other worlds. Certainly the wood used seemed to have been imported from Earth where trees were a common sight unless this barren ice planet.

"What do you remember of what you were before you became the supreme commander of the Saturn forces?" asked Setsuna Meiou.

Taris Madok was wearing his dark purple military uniform that he wore when meeting royal members of other planetary kingdoms. He was sat directly opposite the Setsuna Meiou. She was wearing a short cut green long dress that matched her hair and as usually she would have already prepared her customary evening meal of exotic delicacies from other planets in the solar system but Taris as usual ate little. Not because he wasn't feeling hungry but due to fact he had to keep a sharp mind and be acutely aware of what he does and says in her presences.

"Nothing," Taris answered.

"Nothing?" Setsuna raised an eyebrow. "I find that difficult to believe, surely the great commander isn't losing his memory. What would the other planetary courts say if they heard such rumours?"

Taris smiled pleasantly, knowing full well that the Princess would tease or even goad him into revealing bit and pieces of information.

"And you would be one who would spread such rumours? I wouldn't have thought of someone like you as someone who was gossip like the maids around the palace." Taris teased as he picked at the green fish fillets on the silver plate in front of him.

"That was in the past," Taris said quietly and slowly gazed into her eyes. "You do understand, we cannot keep meeting up like this, we have been given a duty which we have sworn to keep, reminisce of the past will be seen a sign of regret and weakness."

He then averts his gaze at the plate in front of him and started to chew on the flaky fish for a bit before quickly downing it down with a glass of amber liquid. Truth be told, he was actually comfortable when he around her whilst others would have tried to worm their way out of having dinner with the Princess of Pluto and Senshi of Time.

Setsuna leaned forward, a faint smile on her face. She looked almost girlish which was highly unusual as this would have sent shockwaves of panic and fear of those that work with the royal family and the people of Pluto if anyone saw her expression. Most of the people who heard or knew about the Princess of Pluto would probably say that she was an ice cold emotionless bitch, which to some extents was true but nothing in their right mind would say that out loud unless incurring the wraith of the Pluto Royal court.

"But you used to be someone else, Taris Madok. Do you know who?" Setsuna took a sip of wine as he looked up at her.

Taris looked at her and couldn't really determine if she was either playing with him or was there genuine emotion behind it. He then looked slightly to his right to see her delicate hand on his rough callous hands, resulted in years of hand to hand combat and out on the field of battle. Taris decide to go along with her game as he knew deep down that she had an insatiable curiosity in those she was interested in underneath her cold exterior appearance and her fearsome reputation.

"Yes . . . I was your childhood friend," Taris said as he silently place down his fork. Setsuna smile grew as glazed into his eyes.

"And . . ." she said.

"You were to be my fiancée," admitted Taris. "We were fated to be together but the call of duty and the untimely decision of destiny has decided that we should not be together."

"You would become my husband and next in line of royal ascension." Setsuna said as she took another sip of her wine. "The heir of the Madok Clan, one of the most powerful and influential merchant clans in the entire system would have already been arranged to wed the only daughter of highly respected Plutonian House who are directly related to the Royal Court of Pluto."

"Times have changed since then," Taris said. "The situation has changed."

Setsuna stared at Taris for a few moments, search for some signs. Taris held his breath for a second or so, breathing outwards slowly as soon as she averted her gaze at something else.

"I see," Setsuna whispered. "Our politics can be very complicated and you are not a politician, you possess the warrior spirit under the banner of Saturn."

"Your point is?" Taris inquired.

Setsuna smiled. "You certainly don't like to beat around the bush. You haven't change at all, no matter how much you deny it. It's one of the qualities that I truly admire about you." She said with a subtle flutter of her eyelids.

"So I am appointing you as overall theatre commander of our forces in suppressing this rebellion by any means necessary."

"General Virden will not approval of my 'sudden' appointment," Taris pointed out.

During the council meeting, he couldn't help but feel that Virden hated his guts more than he did. The vindictive look he received from him when he disapprove Virden's plan of action was an amusing point.

Setsuna smiled. "Oh, please don't be concerned about General Virden. He will cooperate with your plan of action, the Princess of Neptune and her Court has pledge full support of whatever I decide. So you see . . . Virden is bound by this agreement."

"Why?" Taris asked out curiosity as he tasted some of the food lay out in front of him.

"I trust you, Commander." Setsuna replied in a quiet seductive tone and took a sip of her wine. "In a universe full of deceit and lies, to earning one trust is a rare thing to have. You of all people should understand this."

Taris was silent as he looked directly into her eyes, searching any signs in them but found nothing much genuine emotions.

Taris nodded as he took a quiet sip of his wine. "I suppose I can make some consideration on our behalf."

Setsuna smiled. "We must rely on one another if we are to be rid of this rebellion on our colonies otherwise it is pointless to have such an important political alliance between the outer planetary courts."

Taris slowly placed down his glass and wiped his face with a napkin. "Yes, indeed, I will personally see to it that our forces in this campaign will be there as arranged." He said.

Setsuna clasp her delicate fingers together and smiled.

"Excellent, I am glad that we had this talk."

"Is there anything else to discuss?" Taris inquired in slightly sterner tone. He wanted to conclude the dinner as soon as possible before it reached an uncomfortable situation.

"No," Setsuna shook her head, a slight hint of emotions in her voice as she stared at the empty wine glass.

"Then I shall be making my way out then, goodbye, Princess." Taris rose up and turned and collect his outer coat from behind his chair. He then bowed politely and turned around.

Taris stride across and was almost at the door and as usual, they would leave without saying a further word to each other beyond that as it would bring up uncomfortable or even awkward moment between them. That was how it goes every time they met like this. It would lessen the emotional burden between them by not bringing further of their past together. Taris and Setsuna both had his reasons but it mainly because of their unique situation and pride and stubborn to admit to each other that really got in the way.

That is until something unexpected happened . . .

The Princess rose up from her chair and turned to face the departing man. She smoothed out her long dark green dress and immediately made her mind to act on what was inside her heart rather than her mind, pushing aside the implication and politics consequences. She wanted to know the truth that had been eating inside her since the last time he was here.

"Wait!"

Taris stopped, wondering what she had to say now.

"Have I really changed that much since we departed our ways?" Setsuna spoke softly; there was a slight hint of pleading and sadness in her voice for an answer.

Taris stood in front of the doorway and sighed inwards. He made no attempt to face the green haired Princess which he had loved her since he set eyes on her during a chance encounter with the Royal Court of Pluto. He leaned forwards and placed his hand on the door. He wanted to say what was inside his heart that he loved her but pride and politics situation had the habit of getting in the way.

"Do you still have feeling for me, Taris?" Setsuna took a step closer towards him and raised her left hand to touch his shoulder.

"Couldn't we just go back the way if was before all of this happened, can't we put it aside and do what we both think is right." She said and was almost there.

"Perhaps . . ." Taris said, giving hope to the Plutonian Princess but it was false hope.

"In another time and life, we would have been given what we truly wanted. You and I both know that not everyone can be given what they truly desire. Those feeling for you have faded over time and I'm . . . not sure of what they are . . ."

"But . . ."

"I am truly sorry . . . Suna-Chan." He whispered her nickname that he given her when life was much simpler and all they had was each other.

Without a further word, Taris opened and close the door. He then leaned against the door slightly and sighed. He could just barely hear the soft sound of crying against the inch thick oak door and clenched his fist tightly. A pained emotional expression was clearly etched his face before taking a deep breath, Taris heading towards the courtyard where his shuttle was waiting for him.

Stepping out from a room further along the hallway was General Virden. He had a grim expression on his face as he watched carefully the Saturn Commander disappearing around the corner.

"This won't do at all," He whispered as he shook his head is disapproval.

XXXXX

Immortal Realm . . .

There was a bright flash of brilliant light as swirling portal materialised and opened up. Just as the portal was about to close, a weary and exhausted heavily robed figure. His head bowed low and his subtle body language showed the signs of heavy fatigue and he had almost tripped up on his loose robes as soon as he took a few steps forwards.

'The cosmic scales have been tipped too far and our chosen has to play a part in righting them. It is not for us to set things right. We cannot fight him who would bring death to the universe. Rather we use individuals as our tools' Chaos thought quietly as he started to recall some of the words that Eldar Father has used, the last time they had met.

"They aren't mere tools, Eldar Father." He muttered.

The dark robed figure sighed a little as for the first time he felt the mortal feeling known disappointment. His hopes in gaining the favour and support from the exiled Priestess had failed despite his best attempt to reconcile with her and to aid him. He had journeyed all the way into the restricted realm where no Immortal would dare venture into.

Chaos suddenly stopped and raised his head as he felt the familiar presence.

'She here . . .' He thought darkly. 'Why is she here?'

She definitely here and he had estimated that she was nearby. Drawing himself up to his full height, Chaos quickly chanted a few silent words as he envelop himself in a swirling darkness of Chaos and hoped that she had not detected his arrival. Taking a few steps forwards, he could just see the green colour of her jade robes.

'Hmm . . . what is she up to?' Chaos thought and decided to wait and see from afar rather than revealing himself.

"Where are you hiding?" A wandering Immortal shouted as she searched the many planes of existence for certain annoying Immortal.

She heard nothing just silence.

"Chaos, I know you are here somewhere! It's only a matter of time before I find you!" She threatened in a dangerous tone.

'She seems more chewed off than usual,' Chaos thought quietly.

More silence greeted her. Chaos continued to watch from afar, not daring to make a move. The swirling chaos voids was protecting him from Time's senses but only it he said in one spot, the slightly movement he made could give him away.

'Idiot! I have no time for this!' Time thought and was about to swiftly turn to leave, realising that he wasn't here. That is until she saw something interesting that caught her attention.

Her attention turned towards the large black marble table. The eyeless immortal steps forwards, her robes were now the colour of the deep sea and delicately picked up the random miniature statue from the table. The square table was divided by forty nine coloured squares. Most the squares were empty and only six contained small replicate miniatures of humanoid shape and appearance. The whole setup didn't seem to make to her, it seemed a little odd why this was here but then again, she really didn't want to know why goes through Chaos mind right now.

"Why does he always play with toys?" Time thought amusingly. "What a childish thing to do . . . what an immature thing to do." Chaos sighed in relief, she hadn't figured out what the purpose of the square table was.

She held the little statue between her fingers. The expression on her pale skinned face was a mixture of curiosity and intrigued, you couldn't really tell. Although she didn't have any eyes in her smooth pale face, didn't mean she was blind nor was it a disadvantage.

"Hmm . . ." Time moved the little miniature towards her face for closer examination.

She was slightly surprised at how detailed they were especially the craftsmanship of the facial features. The one that she was held in her fingers was of a black hair young man with a stylish pigtail. For split moment, a thought popped up in her head but quickly dismissed it. She then threw the miniature statue of Ranma into the air and snapped her fingers instantly. Time smiled in satisfaction as she watched the stature disintegrated into nothing. Seeing that she had wasted enough time in her fruitless search, she decides to search for the exclusive Immortal somewhere else.

Chaos waited for a few moments before dropping down his concealment wards and taking a few steps towards the marble table. Looking down at the table, Chaos wondered what was all that about and why did Time seem to be so threaten by Ranma Saotome or Ran Greystar. It wasn't like he was a threat to her . . .

Chaos paused at that thought.

"Perhaps she is . . . but why?" Chaos whispered.

He was intrigued by that thought and decided to investigate the issue further but first, other matters needed to be addressed first. Just as he was about to leave, Chaos raised his hand and opened his palm out. In a bright flash, a miniature replicate of Ranma Saotome appeared in his palm. Chaos smirked as he carefully placed the statue between the black mage and the shield maiden.

'Perfect.' Chaos thought.

XXXXX

"Star Battlecruiser Prometheus . . . this is the Rhea Shuttle Two, requesting final clearance to land." Taris said and carefully maneuver the shuttle on it final vector and pitch.

Taris looked over towards Ranma and wondered what he was thinking about. The expression on his face told him that it was something that was bothering him as he hadn't said much during their return flight back to the Prometheus. He just kept looking out of the window or staring at his control panel. Something must have happened when he was with the Princess and was about to ask when a confirmation beep was heard as a feminine voice from one of the operatives on the battlecruiser replied to Taris' request.

"Approach Clearance Acknowledged. Please Proceed to Hanger Bay Three. Welcome Back Commander Madok, Commander Greystar."

"Thanks," Taris replied and quickly activated a set of runic controls on the right hand of his console. "We are proceeding to Hanger Bay Three. Switching controls to Prometheus guidance control now."

"Taris, Admiral Kyle is on communication channel two." Ranma said as he quickly rerouted the channel to Taris' console.

Taris nodded as a small window appearing on his screen. "Commander Madok, I trust that your journey has gone well?"

Taris nodded. "Indeed . . . Admiral Kyle, gather all our senior commanders and officers in the war room."

Kyle's facial expression from a somber mood changed in a look of utter seriousness.

"It shall be done as soon as you landed. May I ask what this is about?" Kyle asked in a low tone. "It's been awhile since we assemble the military council, the last time was during the Akagi rebellion near the outer colonies.

Taris shook his head. Ranma looked up from his console. He didn't like the idea but if it meant that people will be saved from raiders, he would do it. Protecting those that cannot defend themselves is one of the duties of a martial artist. He remembered the oath of duty he took when he was joined the Saturn Military, which was quite similar to the ideals that he swore to himself when he was training in China. At least this was Taris plan of action that they were following, not General Virden.

"I understand your concerns. Admiral Kyle." Taris said in a reassuring voice. "I cannot say anymore."

Kyle nodded on the view screen. "I await your arrival, Admiral Kyle out."

Taris closed the communication channel and turned his chair to face Ranma. He didn't like the silence between them, and decided to get to the heart of the matter. He wanted to know what was bothering Ranma, perhaps he could help but only if he wanted to be helped. Whatever was bothering him, Taris was sure that he would try his best to find a solution.

"Taris," Ranma said in a casual tone of voice.

"Yeah, what is it?" Taris inquired. Outward he appeared to be focusing on what he was doing as he took his time to input the full vector and pitch coordinates in the computer.

"Can I ask you something?" Ranma asked unsure on how to approach the topic.

Taris paused and looked towards to Ranma. "You want to know what happened between me and the Plutonian Princess."

Ranma nodded in acknowledgement. Taris sighed inwards. It wasn't a subject he really felt comfortable with. Taris hadn't even told Ranma about his appointment as overall theatre commander by the Princess of Pluto yet.

"Nothing of interest," Taris said. Ranma just stared at Taris, not believing that nothing happened.

"Oh, come on, something must have happened." Ranma even thought of resorting to using his cute mode when he was in his cursed form. All he needed was a glass of cold water and . . .

Ranma blinked as the sudden realisation dropped on him like a ton of bricks in speaking terms. Taris raised an eyebrow as he saw the look on Ranma's face, from where he was sat. Ranma's face looked like he was a deer staring down oncoming car headlights on a cold midnight.

"Ran," Taris asked.

Ranma blinked again, as the realisation of his cursed form dawned on him.

"Ran?" Taris asked again but in a concern tone of voice. "Is something the matter?"

Ranma blinked for the third and shook his head to snap himself out of his shock realisation. Sparing a quick glance towards Taris that figuring out that he must have spaced out for quite a bit judging by the look on his face.

"Is something the matter?" Taris repeated his question and was about to get up from his seat and shake him to snap him out of it.

"Huh," Ranma said, faking an expression of confusion. "What did you say?"

"Ah, finally a response," Taris said. "You had me worried there."

"So what happened up there?" Taris asked, tapping the side of his head to emphasize the point he was making. "It must have been something of interest for you to be spacing out all of a sudden?

'Damn, think Ranma, think! What am I going to say to him? I definitely can't mention about my curse, he doesn't know about it yet nor my life in Nerima. Erm . . . err . . .' Ranma thought quickly.

"It's about Takashi." Ranma managed to say.

'Ah, nuts!' Ranma berated himself for bring that topic up. He had hoped to keep it quiet and sighed inwards, blaming his other curse of the foot in mouth.

"What about Colonel Takashi?" Taris inquired.

"Well, does Takashi always act like that with everyone?" Ranma asked vaguely.

"Ran, I don't have the clue what you are on about?" Taris said, looking slightly confused by Ranma's actions.

"You don't suppose Takashi is . . . erm . . . you know a bit that way . . ." He gestured in an awkward way to emphasize the point but just couldn't force himself to say it.

Ranma bowed his head down and said it in a very low tone of voice, almost a whisper. "A bit gay . . ."

Taris blinked as he had just managed to hear it. There was a moment of silence. Taris chuckle at first which then turned in laughter when he realise what Ranma was getting at. "That's a good one, Ran."

"What? Hey, I'm serious here." Ranma asked. "Oh, come on, tell me, Taris."

Taris laugher stopped as he looked at Ranma in surprise and curiosity.

"You're serious, aren't you?" Taris asked.

Ranma nodded. "Well . . . Colonel Takashi goes by another name and position."

"Like . . . I don't suppose he would be . . ." Ranma wondered, perhaps he was an influential noble or related to one of the royal members of Uranus or something like that. Perhaps he came from a similar background like Taris was.

Taris grinned. "For starters, it's not he, it's she."

"Huh?" Ranma stared at him. "Err . . ."

"In court, she goes by the name of Princess Haruka, Senshi of Uranus. Takashi is her other name when she in charge of the Neptune Defense Taskforce." Taris answered and tapped on his chin as he recalled something. "She is like the perfect example of a tomboy, dresses up like a guy mostly with the exception of going to those Royal Lunar Balls."

"Ah, now I understand," Ranma said, hugely relieved whilst at the same totally embarrassed by the situation he had gotten himself into. Taris just stared at Ranma as his face just turned bright red.

'Hang on second, Takashi . . . erm . . . Haruka is a Princess and a Senshi like Hotaru!' Ranma realised and kept repeating to himself that the quick kiss was just a simple friendly gesture or perhaps even a traditional custom of battle or something.

"Why do you ask?" Taris was about to ask but after a few second to piece together the pieces together especially the current look on his face. He simply shook his head in dismay.

"Never mind . . . whatever it is, I just don't want to know." Taris said, turning his attentions at the controls.

Ranma nodded and decided to change the issue immediately.

"So where do you want me in this campaign? I suppose this will be like the old days." Ranma asked.

Taris was quiet as he closed his eyes. He knew that he could rely on Ran for anything he assign him to, no matter how dangerous or suicidal the task was. Ran was a man of many talents and skills. His greatest talent was his ability to adapt and change when the situation demands it. It was this talent that had saved him on many times and those under his command. Ran was sure as stubborn as a mule and perhaps arrogant at times but one thing that he knew was that Ran would never give up even if the situation looked hopeless.

Taris slowly opened his eyes and turned his chair towards Ranma.

"Taris, what do you want me to do?" Ranma asked again.

"Ran Greystar, I want you to return to Saturn. I want you to take full command of the Saturn forces while I am away. You have my full authority on all matters." Taris replied, his voice full of authority. "Your duty is with the Princess." He added, cutting off any chance of protest.

Ranma was taken back this as Taris would never express his full name unless it was important. Seeing the determine look in his eyes, Ranma nodded.

"I understand," Ranma said in quiet voice. Taris nodded and turned back to the control panel. There were a few moments of silence as the two friends continued to perform final checks as the hanger bay was directly ahead of them. Taris cast a quick glance over to Ranma.

"Ran," said Taris in a softer voice.

"Yeah," Ranma said.

"Please give my best wishes to the Princess when you see her."

Ranma couldn't help but smile. "Sure, it is the least I can do."

Taris nodded.

XXXXX

Saturn Palace . . .

It has been almost four weeks according to Ranma since the brief meeting with the mysterious hooded stranger and so far nothing had turned up regarding their brief but cryptic conversation. He was right about one thing, his memories were slowly returning back to him but in chunks and drips rather than an even flow. Since returning back from Pluto under the direct order from Taris Madok, he was kinda glad to return and wasn't surprise to see Hotaru waiting patiently at the entrance of the spaceport. Having spent time with Hotaru, Ranma was beginning to wonder would he be able to prevent whatever it was that was going to happen in time was the main doubt that had been plaguing Ranma's mind. Most of the inquiries he had done on Saturn uncovered nothing nor reveal any clues about the stranger's warning apart from the occasion battles and skirmishes on the outer rims of the Solar system.

"Ran?" A soft voice was heard.

Ranma snapped himself out of his trail of thoughts and promptly turned to see a beautiful girl in a dress gown that matched her hair and eyes. He could help but admire her beauty and radiance as she stood at the doorway of his room.

"Yes, Hotaru, I'm here." Ranma said, just managing to regain the use of his voice and mind. "What seems to be the problem? It doesn't suppose it had anything to do with that one night?" He teased her as she turned a shade of bright red.

"Ran!" Hotaru exclaimed and looked around to see if anyone heard what he had said and glared at him. It wasn't one of the piecing stone cold glares that would petrify someone on the spot. More like a playful and sultry look that she only reserved for Ran, her fiancée.

Ranma chuckled which was soon joined by the joyful laugher from Hotaru. "Come in," He said as he made his way forward to meet her in the centre of his chamber.

The Royal Princess of Saturn and Senshi of the Silence walked up to Ranma a.k.a. Ran Greystar and pressed a silver envelope into his hand while also taking the opportunity to land a quick kiss. Ranma returned the loving gesture before examining the item in his hand. It was a silver envelope with elegant golden marking around the edges and turned the envelope over to see it was clearly addressed to Ran Greystar. Upon closer inspection, it was definitely a royal invitation of some importance as it bore the emblem seal of the Moon Crest. Sparing an inquisitive glance towards his fiancée, Ranma could that she also received the same invitation as she waved it in front of him.

"What is this for?" Ranma asked her.

"Open it to find out, silly." Hotaru smiled happily.

Ranma did so quickly and read the contents of the invitation.

"It's a Royal Invitation from Queen Serenity at the Moon Palace to invite you and me to the royal ball. We will be leaving in a few hours to get our trip to Earth and the Moon underway." Hotaru said as she winced at the memories of the previous royal balls that she went to. Ranma nodded at the trip planned but happened to notice something that worried him.

"Hotaru, what's wrong?" Ranma asked as stepped towards her and grasped her hands in his. He was concerned about the way her confidence and morale level would suddenly dropped which would be mostly commonly associated with Ryoga's depression in his experience.

"Please, tell me." Ranma said kindly in attempt to make her open up.

"It's nothing really, now that I am with you." Hotaru said as she looked up into his eyes and saw what questioning look on his face. She kept no secrets with him and she wasn't about to start now as she began to explain in brief.

Feeling the warmth that they shared, Hotaru gathered her confidence.

"When you were gone, there were rumours that were circulating when I went to these lunar royal celebrations alone. Some had said you left, as you wanted to be away from me as possible because of my destructive powers. Others say that you found someone and didn't have the guts to break up with me in fear of my reaction." Hotaru said as she broke eye contact and looked down at her purple gown.

Ranma instantly wrapped his arms around her slightly smaller frame and hugged her tightly. She melted in his warm embrace and sighed in content and gently wrapped his around his waist.

"You really didn't believe that did you? I would never do that to you, I would rather die." Ranma whispered in her ear. Hotaru gently pushed away from him for some space in their embrace and shook her head before resuming their embrace.

"So what happened to you?" Hotaru whispered, hoping for answer for his absence.

"I just got lost until I found you." Ranma honestly answered and wondered if this was himself saying this or Ran Greystar.

Hotaru accepted his reason for now, not wanting to force or pressurising him for explanation. She would inquire about it when he was ready as she trusted him completely. Ranma was surprised, normally he would probably put his foot right into it by now as the whole situation was seemingly going perfectly and the weird thing was that he was half expecting some sort of mallet or sharp object thrown at him. Until he realised that he was in the past according to that mysterious mortal.

The embrace lasted a few moments before Hotaru reluctantly broke it and smiled genuinely at her fiancée.

"See you, later, Ran. I have to get ready for the long trip. You better dress nice." Hotaru mischievously winked at him. "I can't wait to see the reaction from the other princess. They are going to be so jealous when they see you with me."

"As you wish, Princess, I am at your service." Ranma bowed in a formal gesture as she left his room in spirited mood. As she moved out of his vision, Ranma turned around and looked at his invitation and thought seriously about the warning he was given by the faceless immortal. Perhaps going to this lunar ball would give him more clues.

As Ranma placed his invitation on his desk, he looked out of the window and cast his worries out for the moment.

"Heh, I think of it later." Ranma swiftly made his way out. "I wonder if Earth has changed."

'At least Hotaru is happy so I'm fine about that.'

'What can possibly go wrong at a Moon Kingdom Lunar Ball? It's not like something going to happen there. I can see it going to be one dull and boring dance.'

Meanwhile . . . at the Plutonian Palace

A blond haired Envoy stood up straight, making sure that he was presentable as he had a private audience with the Princess of Pluto. He was dressed in the distinctive colours of the Neptunium Royal Court. Standing behind the nervous envoy were two females shield maidens from the Neptune Royal Bodyguard Regiment They were carefully carrying a rather large object covered completely in aqua coloured drape. Also in the anteroom, in each corner were armed Plutonian Royal Guards as they watched their every move.

A long green haired noble woman of esteem birth entered from the far side of the anteroom. She wore a long gown of green silk with a far stole and an ornate headdress of shining silver and jewels. She was almost painfully beautiful but there was cunning intelligence in her eyes.

The Neptunium Envoy quickly performed an elaborate gesture of salute and stepped forwards, bowing his head and dropping to one knee before the Princess. The Shield Maidens took a careful step forwards, making sure not to drop the large object between them.

"You may speak," Setsuna said.

"Honored Princess, I am a humble Servant from the Neptune Royal House, I bring a lavish gift from the Princess of Neptune as a sign of our every lasting friendship between the house of Pluto and Neptune."

Setsuna notice the rather large object behind him and looked down at the bowed Envoy.

"Reveal this gift to me," She demanded, she held her transformation pen behind her back in case this was some sort of trickery as a precaution.

The Envoy smiled and lifted his head and clicked his fingers towards the Shield Maidens. The two of the Plutonian Guards took on a defensive stance, moving in front of the Princess in a protective barrier whilst the others took an offensive stance, ready to attack.

Setsuna relaxed a little as soon as the protective drape was removed to reveal what seemed to be a large oval mirror. Thousands of gems and jewels were imbedded around the silver frame and filigree rim. Setsuna couldn't sense any magic or protective spells cast on the mirror.

"A Neptunium Royal Heirloom, a gift from our Royal House. A thousand years old and has been passed down from generation to generation. The Neptune Princess saw it a fitting gift for someone such as you." The Envoy said and bowed his head lowly.

The Two Shield Maidens stepped back as the Captain of the Plutonian Royal Guard stepped toward the mirror and checked to see if there were any hidden compartments or device in the mirror frame.

The Captain shook his head. "It's clean, My Lady."

The Plutonian Guards relaxed their stances and took a step back upon hearing their Captain's answer. Setsuna nodded as she turned to face the envoy.

"Tell them that we are grateful for such as lavish gift and we accept." Setsuna said and clicked her fingers as two house servants enter the chamber and started to carry the royal gift away.

The Envoy raised his head and nodded before rising to his feet.

"I will see to it personally that the message gets through directly, Princess." He said and stepped back out of the antechamber, his head bowed along the way.

Setsuna nodded and turned to leave the antechamber swiftly.

TBC . . .

XXXXX

Author Notes:

In the next chapter, I will focus on the Sailor Moon and Slayers cast members . . .

In Juuban . . . will the PRINCESS OF SAILLUNE win her case over the PRINCESS OF THE MOON KINDGDOM on the subject of truth and justice? Where the hell are the Youma when you need them?

Whilst in Nerima . . . why is Ukyo acting so weirdly? Now that Ranma is out of the picture, will Kuno and Ryoga finally make their move? Will Cologne figure out who was responsible? Can Lina Inverse finally accept her curse or will it be burnt Zelgadis on the menu?

Everything will be told in the next chapter . . .

Chapter Nine - Truth and Secrets

Please send your comments and constructive criticism to: pnmonty@hotmail.com

Version 1.0: 19/02/2005
Version 2.0: 06/03/2005