Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Anything Goes Duel Monsters ❯ Dueling 101 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Anything Goes Duel Monsters

by Ironneko (yes... I've changed my nick name, gonna fix old chapters... eventually...)

Taken from Nighthawk's idea page with permission from both him and the original mastermind behind the whole concept. (It case anyone's wondering, that would be Doctor What.)

Disclaimer: Insert your favourite disclaimer here. (Or read the prologue.)

" " denotes speech.

' ' denotes thoughts. (I really don't think anyone would confuse this for being anything else... but man is a creature of habit I guess. So I'll keep adding the legend.)

Chapter Two: Dueling 101

-------------------------

"I draw."

The sound of a deck being shuffled was the only noise emanating out of the back room of the game shop.

"I place this monster in attack mode and then set this card face-down on the field."

The pigtailed teenager sitting across the Duelist Kingdom Champion eyed the card his opponent had just set on the field warily.

Ranma simply wasn't confortable with the concept of a trap card. It seemed to him like cheating. The feeling he got was the exact same one as when someone used an unfair advantage in a fight.

He wasn't beneath cheating at card games, (the Gambler King incident proved that quite well) it was just that this was so much more than just a card game. Yugi had been showing him the holographic proyectors inside the arenas at Kaiba Land, and he had been blown away by how real the monsters and effects felt. It seemed too much like magic, and Ranma knew nothing good ever came from dealing with magic.

"I summon Blue Eyes White Dragon (LV8 3000/2500) in attack mode."

Yugi was concerned about Ranma. He was learning... some... but the whole process was taking too much time given that his "student" refused to play any magic or trap cards.

"Now I attack your Celtic Guardian (LV4 1400/1200) with my dragon."

When Yugi confronted him, Ranma had been sketchy about why he didn't play these sorts of cards. Something about having enough trouble with magic already was the best he could make out of the mumbled response the pigtailed teen offered.

"Are you sure you want to attack me? I do have one face-down card on the field."

Teaching him to avoid magic and trap cards was an arduous task as well, as Ranma tended to think that if he didn't play traps, his opponent would refrain from playing them as well.

"Yeah, I still want to attack."

The last twenty or so times they had played, he had shown rather impressive adaptability, as he kept losing with a narrower margin each time. However, he had yet to defeat the Duelist Kingdom champ in a duel.

"Very well then, in response to your attack I will activate my face-down card. I reveal Spellbinding Circle; this trap shall halt your dragon's attack, and his attack points will be lowered by seven hundred until your next turn."

A couple of weeks ago a package had arrived from Kaiba Corp. Inside were all three of the Blue Eyes White Dragon cards and as an "additional bonus" Kaiba had included his Lord of Dragons (LV4 1200/1100) and three Flute of the Summoning Dragon cards. Since then, both of them had been at it non-stop, having no less than ten duels a day.

"Hmm... okay... Then I will place this card face-down, and end my turn."

'This is a first,' Yugi thought as he saw Ranma set a card on the field, 'he has never played a face-down card before.'

He stared at the playing field for a few minutes, briefly analysing how the duel was going. Ranma had his weakened Blue Eyes and a face-down card, and he had his Celtic Guardian in attack and his Mystical Elf in defense mode.

"Ok then, since your dragon has been weakened, I shall summon my Dark Magician to the field and attack your creature."

He placed the Monster card face-up on the field, and then motioned towards his opponent's card, ready to remove it from the field as the result of the battle.

"Umm... right... but I can activate this because you attacked..." Ranma said while revealing the card he had set last turn, "It says here that the attacking monster is destroyed."

Yugi was shocked; not only did Ranma play a trap card, the effect of Sakuretsu Armor had also costed him his most powerful monster.

"That means it's my turn now, right?" the pigtailed teen asked, feeling uncertain about his latest move.

"Uh.. yes... it's your move," Yugi said, still reeling from the events transpired.

"Okay then," Ranma said, "I summon The Lord of Dragons, in defense mode. This monster cancels out your Spellbinding Circle trap, so my dragon is free to attack once again."

Ranma placed the spellcaster on the field and then looked at his hand intently. After a couple of moments of thought, he turned to look at the scoreboard. He was down by four hundred lifepoints, having been the only one of the two players who had received an attack.

'What the hell, I'll just go for it,' he thought as he grabbed another card from his hand.

"Okay then, I'll set another card face down and then attack your guardian with my Blue Eyes White Dragon."

Yugi winced as he was forced to remove his warrior from the field. Losing sixteen hundred lifepoints from a single attack was a big blow to his game, but he felt confident enough about recovering.

"I draw now," Yugi said as he grabbed the top card from his deck. A smile appeared on his face, as he witnessed how believing in the Heart of the Cards rewarded him once again.

"I play the magic card, Brain Control. This card allows me to seize control of one monster on your side of the field."

Yugi stretched out across the table, and grabbed Ranma's (Kaiba's actually... but who cares?) Lord of Dragons.

'Why would he take that card?' Ranma thought, 'I was sure he'd try to take the dragon...'

"Your Lord of Dragons' special ability prevents my magic card from taking control of your dragon, but this one is all I need," Yugi said, as he placed the spellcaster on his side of the field.

'Oh, that's why...'

"I shall now sacrifice both monsters to empower my Dark Magic Ritual magic card. This will allow me to summon my most powerful spellcaster yet. The Magician of Black Chaos (LV8 2800/2500(1))."

Yugi then placed both of the tributed monsters into their respective graveyards as he put his own creature into play.

"But he's weaker than my dragon," Ranma said, while trying to figure out why his opponent had summoned the mage, "there's no way you can defeat me with less attack points."

"That would normally be true, however... I will now equip my Magician of Black Chaos with this magic card."

Yugi selected one of the cards from his hand and placed it over one of the designated magic/trap card spaces in the board Ranma and himself were using for the duel.

"Beacause of my Dark Pendant's effect, my sorceror gains five hundred attack points; enough to overwhelm your Blue Eyes by an even three hundred," he said.

There was little Ranma could do now to save his monster. Of course, he had a face-down card on the field, but Yugi didn't think him likely to play two traps in a row.

"I attack your dragon with my Magician of Black Chaos."

Ranma nervously looked at the field. He felt confident enough about the card he had laid before, so he was pretty sure his dragon was safe. With a smile on his face, he turned over his card.

"This stops your attack, so my dragon is protected, right?" Ranma asked while mentally congratulating himself on such a smart move.

"Um... actually... That card does nothing of the sort..." replied Yugi, after checking the card his opponent played, "It says so right there: The effect of Mystical Space Typhoon is to destroy one magic or trap card on the field."

"Oh... Then I guess I can't stop the attack..."

Ranma slumped back on his seat, a defeated look on his face. He was so sure that card would have worked!

"Um... Ranma.... You are aware that your spell card can destroy my creature's equipment, right?" Yugi felt both torn about wanting to kick himself for telling a rival about a beneficial play and feeling the need to help Ranma learn more about his current standing in the duel, "That should lower my magician's attack points enough so that your dragon is able to destroy it with ease."

"Right... I knew that..." said Ranma, with an unconvincing look on his face.

'Okay... Bold-faced lie, and he's not even good at hiding it. I believe I've still got tons of work to do before he can make a decent bluff,' thought the Pharaoh while his opponent tried to understand exactly how it was that he had managed to gain the upper hand.

"So, my magician loses his equipment. You get hit for five hundred damage points due to the Black Pendant's effect, and I lose both my creature and two hundred additional lifepoints due to the attack."

Yugi took a moment to check the scoreboard, although he didn't really need to.

"And that means you win, Ranma."

The pigtailed martial artist couldn't believe it. He had won!

"Wow! Cool!"

It was the first time he had managed to do that since they had begun playing, so it was fair to say that he was feeling a bit excted at the prospect. However, Yugi was quick to burst his bubble.

"You're still making too many mistakes. At this rate, you'll never defeat Kaiba."

While Yugi was very surprised Ranma had managed to pull a victorious last move, he knew that it was probably a fluke on his part. He still needed to make Ranma a much better player if he was to at least stand a chance against Kaiba.

"Um, it can't be too hard can it? I mean, it's just a game right?"

"That's your problem! Right there! Kaiba is a world champion, he has been playing Duel Monsters for years. Heck, he's even helped with testing new cards and has even invented a new ruling system that is quickly being accepted by duelists everywhere."

"What do you mean?"

Ranma wasn't stupid. Nothing would be further from the truth. He was, actually, a tactical genius. The years of tutelage he had recieved from his father had turned his brain into something more akin to a supercomputer when it came to analysing battles and potential threats. Ranma just wasn't motivated to use his skills regarding things he thought were "boring".

In this case, he lacked the knowledge, and drive, to truly make full use of his abilities, so he was just content to play along. It was after all, just a game.

"You have to try and stop seeing this as just a card game Ranma. Duel Monsters is just like a fight. A war, where the rule is 'survival of the fittest' and to succeed you must win every battle. The only way to do it is to fully explore all areas of the game... including the magic and the trap cards. Now, you're up against one of the grandmasters. Do you really want to be at a disadvantage?"

Yugi cut his tirade short, the need to breathe stopping his inspiration momentarily.

"Yeah, you may be right," Ranma admitted after a couple of seconds of silent contemplation, "but I don't know which ones to use," He took another moment in order to steel himself, and then swallowed his pride one more time.

"Could you... help me?"

Yugi smiled at this.

"Sure, let me see your deck, I think I know of a couple of cards we could add to make this a bit more interesting."

And, like so, the training truly began.

----------------------

Author's notes:

Yes, I know it's short... It's probably incomplete. The story has advanced nanoseconds, but it is SOMETHING, is it not?

Well, basically same drill as before, college = study = stress = no free time = guilt trips. So all of that basically means, no time (or energy) to write. I had a lot more written about six months ago... But I lost everything due to a mishap with my laptop.

I'm trying to make some time to get over this huge block I've got regarding TSS ch4, but then again... I've got finals coming up all the way till December 21st, so I doubt I'll be updating that before Christmas. I will make an effort though, so please bear with me.

The name change... well... RaZiel is a bit common, and Ironneko has been my nickname for a little over 4 years now... e-mail address and whatnot. So I just made the switch.

(1) Yes, this is the RITUAL version. Since I don't have the other one, and really don't want to look it up right now... That's the one I'll use for now. Besides, this is the one Yugi has during the series, so I'll stick to this one.

Note: I'll eventually get around to making a side story about how Ranma's dealed with stuff concerning Nerima, but I just wanted to post this as soon as possible before I got a letter bomb mailed to my house...

Another note: Believe it or not I read every single e-mail and review I get. I do try to respond to all of them but then again, I am only human. If you had a question or something that needed a reply and I didn't send one I probably never got the message or was too busy to reply. Still, I realy appreaciate feedback and hope to get some.

Yet another note: If you want a response, e-mail me. I won't respond to reviews. (But I still appreciate them.)

Comments, criticism, hell, flame me if you want to, someone told me it builds character: ironneko@hotmail.com , ironneko@yahoo.com.ar. (Ff. Net guys, check profile for mails.).