Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ What Comes of War ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Ranma 1/2, the Young Wizards Series by Diane Duane, or Midori. (NOBODY owns Midori.) I do own Kimi Ichisaigosuki, because she's me. Midori and I can claim a very loose ownership to this version of Roshaun, but we only own the version of him that is in this story. We claim NO ownership to the Roshaun in the Young Wizards Series, and are making no money whatsoever off of our version of him. Olive belongs to Midori, and I own the First Morpher and Kimi's mother. I wish that Mint belonged to me, but I don't have enough money to buy the rights to him.
 
Chapter One
 
Midori Hoseki ran into Kimi's room, holding a file encased in a dark plastic folder. “Kimi-chan!! You need to look at this!”
 
Roshaun, who was sitting in his room and planning the next move of the Resistance, looked up briefly, dismissed the fifteen-year-old girl as a distraction, and went back to his plans. “What is it?” Kimi Ichisaigosuki asked, setting aside her hand-held writing pad. It was a digital screen with sensors that reacted to the copper embedded in the tip of a plastic stick and allowed her to write. When she was through with a page, the display automatically scrolled up unless she set it on manual scroll. She was currently in the process of adding another entry to the Resistance Archives. It was a bleak report, to go along with the rest of the gloomy records.
 
“Their latest project,” Midori replied grimly, her long green hair clinging damply to her face. She had been genetically altered to be half snow leopard demon and half human at a very young age. Kimi noticed the pained and disgusted look on her best friend's face as she opened the file and read the contents in a matter of seconds.
 
Midori saw Kimi tense up. Her taut posture was visible even underneath her pink haori top and Japanese field pants that had been altered to reach her ankles. Olive, Midori's cousin, had rescued Kimi two years ago. The experiments performed on her were brutally inhumane. Kimi's mother, the last pure Morpher, had been forced to bear her, but loved her daughter nonetheless. Giving birth to Kimi had killed the last pure Morpher, Sirona.
 
The cruelest experiment performed on the Last Morpher had altered Kimi so that she was no longer half Morpher and half human, but two-fifths Morpher, two-fifths Dragon Demon, and one-fifth human. It had been a slow, torturous, and painful experience. All of her cells had been forced to accept Dragon Demon DNA and incorporate it into their already complicated DNA structures.
 
The experiment had also added demonic strength to her already superhuman muscle strength, making her a formidable opponent. On top of all this, she had a slim runners' build, was malnourished because of her fast metabolism and not enough food, and still remained one of the strongest beings on the planet. Kimi was also unnaturally intelligent, a side effect of the experiments. Technically, the addition of Dragon Demon DNA should have made her mentally defective, but the Morpher DNA had taken that and turned it around. Kimi had gained both intelligence and an ability to learn quickly. Her memory was naturally good, but she couldn't remember everything that she learned. In that aspect, she was human.
 
The experiment that made her what she was had been the one that Olive, backed up by half the Resistance, had rescued her from. At Kimi's insistence they had also taken along her only companion: a boy her age almost to the day who had been made half wolf and half human. His name was Mint.
 
“You think we should tell him?” Midori nodded towards Roshaun's room.
 
Kimi bit her lower lip. “Are they guaranteed to go through with this experiment?”
 
“Yes,” Midori replied as she pulled out a picture of the cloned Olive in a tank of green liquid, as was the common cliché. Only the scientists who made the preserving fluid knew what in the Hell it was. “My source is very good.”
 
Kimi and her best friend knocked on the door. “Roshaun? We need to talk to you.”
 
The leader of the Resistance opened the door, frowned, then sighed. “You might as well come in.”
 
Both young women sat down on two of the chairs in Roshaun's room, and Midori handed him the file. “The enemy had a new project.” Roshaun opened the folder and froze when he saw the picture of Olive. “Look familiar?”
 
The man gritted his teeth as the picture crumpled in his fist. Like Kimi, he had been genetically altered. He was half Dragon Demon and half human. Unlike Kimi, he had been born a full Dragon yokai, but the experiments performed on him made him half human. Midori had been born half snow leopard as the product of crossbreeding humans and demons. The same side effects that Kimi had experienced were present in the two people present, but they were less potent.
 
After some theory work and careful analysis of blood samples from all three, it was deduced that Kimi had been exposed to some kind of chemical in her experiment tank. That, combined with her new DNA configuration, had magnified the side effects to horrifying proportions. If she hadn't been dragged out of the jelly-like green substance in her tank when the Resistance fighters had infiltrated the laboratory, she wouldn't have been able to control her strength and would undoubtedly have killed herself by accident.
 
“I checked the gravesite,” Midori said quietly. “They dug up her body; desecrated the grave. They're also planning to bring back her spirit and insert it into the body, the Kami only know how.” The young woman looked at the hand-woven rug beneath her feet.
 
Roshaun slammed his fist down on the table. “How did this happen?!”
 
“We don't know. What we do know is that once the spirit is injected she'll be alone and afraid in a room full of scientists who will do God-knows-what to her.” Kimi growled.
 
Midori looked over at her best friend. `I'm thinking a rescue mission.'
 
The look in the eyes of the girl somewhere between adolescence and womanhood caused Midori to draw away slightly. It was the feral look of a hunting animal about to make its kill. `Bring it.'