Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ A change for the Better ❯ The First Battle ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Change for the Better Part 2
by Ryouga's best friend

"That's horrible" Usagi said in shock, she had been listening to Makoto explain portions of Ranma's past. "How could he stand that kind of thing every day?" there was a pause on the line.
"I don't know, he keeps a hard outer shell. But I think he really cared for that, Akane" Makoto voice had no small amount of anger for that name. "And she was so dense she thought he hated her as much as she hated him. Oh if I just had 1 min..." she trailed off in order to calm down. "So will you help?"
"Of course, did you even have to ask. Now to the business at hand, how do we entertain a martial artist who hates water. Why does he hate water any way?" Usagi asked there was a long pause.
"It's kind of a personal thing, he didn't want it spread around" Makoto hoped that it subdue her curiosity for a while, "he wouldn't tell me" she lied.
"Okay, well anyway the only places I can think of would be the arcade, the movie theater and the park, sorry we don't get many super powerful martial artists" Usagi said a bit disappointed with her own answer.
"Yeah all we get are demons and Nega monsters" Makoto state solemnly. "I can't let him go back there. I just can't" her silent determination was all to clear.
"I know Makoto, don't worry. Everything will be all right" Makoto could almost she Usagi's smile.
"Thanks, now will meet you in the park at 11. Please not to be late" Makoto heard the pouting noises on the other side of the line.
"Come on I'm not going to sleep past 11 on a Saturday" Makoto chuckled at her protest. "I'll be there".
"Goodbye Usagi" Makoto hung up, she checked the clock. It read 11, *I better get to sleep* she thought heading to her room.

In the guest room Ranma twitched and moaned, remembering the horrible incident.
_____________________________________________________________ _____

Ranma walked along the fence heading home from school, on the ground by his side was a very quiet and distracted Akane. He gave a casual, yet concerned look on her. She'd been like that since lunch, where he'd been mobbed by his other fiancees. It was a common place occurrence in Nerima, but she'd never been like this. "Yo Akane, what's up you've been like this all day?" he said jumping down, she stayed silent. *This can't be good* he thought. "Hey stupid, what's wrong" he said mildly irritated.
"Shut up Saotome" her voice was cold, Ranma's heart stopped.
"Wh-what?" he was just shocked, no matter how angry she had never called him Saotome.

"What an intelligent come back, I'm glad were alone because I've been thinking. And I've come to the conclusion that I will never love you, your so egotistical and arrogant I don't see why any girl could even stand your company. I tried from the honor of my family but I can't stand you, I hate every inch of your freakish sex changing body" she began to show signs of critical mass, but he couldn't tell the sound of his heart breaking echoed through the empty streets. He collapsed to his knees, dissipate the constant sound of his father telling him it's unmanly to cry tears came.
"Akane..." he choked out weakly. Akane brandished her mallet.
"Get out of my sight, you sex changing freak!!!" he was caught by the upward swing
*BANG!*

Ranma awoke in cold sweat, his heart sunk. *why?* he sat on the bed brooding over his losses. "How come I never get a break, what did I do ta deserve such a sucky life?" he said in drained frustration. A delicious smell crept into his room, he momentarily left his pain behind and headed into the main room. "Wow smells good" he said entering. Makoto turned and placed the food down.
"Good morning to you too" she said sarcastically, Ranma reddened slightly.
"Sorry" he laughed slightly
"So you ready to have fun today"
"I'm sorry ta say but I can grantee that something'll happen and mess it up before we even approach fun" he said in a calm voice. Makoto frowned slightly, *that really boosts my sprits* . he finished eating and stood.
"Do you think I'll have a bit of time to train?" he said stretching his arms, she looked to the clock. It was 7:00, that was plenty of time.
"Sure go ahead" she said, sitting down and watched him as he went through his katas…

A strange women sat in the shadows just outside Makoto's home reading a small screen, "By the stars, he has enough power to be half of the activation energy for the chrysalis. Hey Leo you getting this reading" the wind wavered as a large man materialized into existence.
"Yes, getting his soul will make our job much easier, The Zodiac dynasty will live again. Send a Panthergast to get his soul and send another to that other reading we picked up. I'm counting on you Virgo. Don't screw this up, you know the Master can't stand failure" his voice was fierce and loud. With a roar he vanished, the wind wavered and calmed.
"Tight ass" Virgo muttered stepping out of the shadows. She had short purple hair, light brown skin, dressed in leather and various strange marks on her face and arms. Most prominent was a large purple chunk of amber with the symbol of Virgo burned on it placed firmly in an armlet. She could easily pass for a Goth. "Now which Panthergast to use, the boy is tough. Scyus, Torturer of the wastes, rise!" the symbol for Virgo appeared on the ground and a tall man bearing a glowing whip slowly melded out of the ground.
"Yes Mistress, what is your bidding?" his voice was cold and empty. Ranma and Makoto left the apartment and headed off.
"Bring me the soul of Ranma Saotome, the girl and all others that get in your way are expendable. Don't come back empty handed" The Panthergast nodded and disappeared. "Now for that other one" she blinked out of existence. Only a chill wind remained.

Ranma and Makoto were walking to the movie theater, trying to forget this was a contest. "Honestly Ranma, you never said you were that good" she complimented him, "maybe you could give me a few pointers". Ranma gave a casual glance over.
"Sure why not, maybe later" he slowly gained his confident smirk that he'd lost for quite a long time. They entered the theater under the watchful eye of The Panthergast, it was gone seconds after it appeared. Ranma enjoyed his movie, he'd always liked Jackie chan. Makoto would have preferred something more romantic but it was good none the less.
"So you having fun Ranma" Makoto pushed, Ranma chuckled slightly.
"Almost, Frankly I'm surprised. Normally we should have been jumped by now, especially since Ryouga is in the same city" he remembers his direction. "Well maybe, I never know where that guy is until he jumps out yelling 'RANMA SAOTOME-" A roar interrupted him.
"I am Scyus, Torturer of the wastes, Your soul belongs to me" the cold voice of the Panthergast penetrated the happy moment, with the snap of its glowing whip. Ranma was somewhat surprised, but his pride over came it.
"My soul belongs to me" he whispered to the side "Makoto get out of here" He said entering his attack stance and charges the monster. He swings, the monster grabs his fist and throws him off the path.
"Ranma your good but this is suicidal get out of here" Makoto shouted to him as he stood.
"I thought I told you to get out of here!" he shouted. The panthergast turns to see Makoto and whips out his whip, Ranma charges full speed and jumps in front of the energized whip, it wrapped around his arm. He was surrounded in a black aura of energy and began to scream out in pain.
"RANMA!"

"Just give up, you can't beat me" A different panthergast made of stone states in a confident voice, A figure of a young boy crawls out of a small smoking crater, he stands with a determined look in his eyes.
"I never give up" he says picking up an umbrella. "I will not be defeated!" the orange clad warrior charged and smashed the monster through a chain linked fence over a ridge into the park. He punches down into its arm, the monster smirks not feeling the pain. The warrior smirks before saying, "Breaking point!" the monster screamed in pain as it's arm exploded. Ryouga gets up and kicks the monster down the path, just before he finishes the monster off.
"RANMA!" a girls voices shouts, he turns toward it. *Ranma, why is he still away from Nerima?* was the first thought in his mind.
"That's it, no more playing around" the panthergast growled aiming his remaining arm at Ryouga, a strange energy blast flew out toward the distracted warrior.

"Wow this is odd, It looks like there are four nega monster out at once. But that's insane, and why are they all in the same place. This makes no sense" Ami examined her screen in frustration. Suddenly she noticed something "Wait only two of though auras are dark, the others are...Green and Blue?! There not nega, but what are they?" she closed her computer and withdrew her heshin rod. "I better check this out, MERCURY PLANET POWER!!!" She went through the transformation to Sailor Mercury (She was surrounded by nifty special effects and theme music). Opening up her com-link to the others and headed out. "Hey guys we have a major emergency in the park, there are two nega monsters and two unknown powers. Try to get there as soon as possible" she ended transmission and started off to the park.

Usagi is running at top speed to make to the park, "I'm late, oh no. I-promised-I-would-be-late-now-Makoto-is-gonna-kill-me-oohh" she wailed as her comm-link rang. coming to an abrupt stop she pulled it out and listened.
"Hey guys we have a major emergency in the park, there are two nega monsters and two unknown powers. Try to get there as soon as possible" Ami's voice echoed through the speaker.
"oh no, Ranma and Makoto are in the park. I better find somewhere to change" she became serious and charged off to the park.

"Oh no Ranma" Makoto yelled, well Ranma convulsed with the surges of energy flowing through his body. *I have to change and dust this thing* she thought backing away behind a bush. "JUPITER PLANET POWER!!" she transforms into Sailor Jupiter. She jumped out "Drop him nega scum!" her voice was cold and full of anger. The panthergast looked up.
"And who might you be girl" the monster question.
"I am Sailor Jupiter, defender of the right. I'm here to destroy you" she began to power up. The panthergast laughed and shot a stronger pulse on energy into Ranma who screamed in horrible pain. Jupiter filled with intense anger and power up more than ever before, lightning crackled all around her.
"huh?! Where's all that energy coming from?!" The panthergast stared wide eyed at the girl in front of her. Fear would have filled it's soul, if it had one.
"JUPITER'S...RIGHTOUS...VENGANCE!!!" A huge swirling mass of rage energy shot out filling the whip and sending the monster 100yrds back. Ranma fell limp on the ground, Sailor Jupiter ran to his side. His eyes opened slightly and looked straight into hers, a flash of realization hit him. *This girl has the same aura as Makoto!* he shakily stood up.
"I told you...to...get out of here Makoto" he said exhausted but refusing to stay down. Sailor Jupiter was shocked. *How did he see through my glamour field* she thought astonished. Ranma entered a fighting stance, this shook the scout out of it.
"Your injured, you need to get out of here. I can handle it" she enter a stance as well. The monster stood, burnt and beaten. The anger it had was apparent, he was being beaten by mere children!.

Before the battle could continue Ryouga's body went flying into a nearby wall. The orange clad warrior painfully got up and noticed, Ranma, Jupiter and the other panthergast.
"You too" he said calmly to Ranma
"Yup, mines tough in close combat but doesn't like energy attacks. Yours?" Ranma said watching both monsters carefully.
"High endurance, fairly strong, overconfident and made of stone" Ryouga finished with a smirk. He joined Ranma and Jupiter. "Whose the girl?".
"Long story, tell you after we roast these guys" Ryouga nodded and entered his stance and in a silent agreement they both attacked the stone one. Ranma took the first strike "Kachuu Tenshin Amaguriken!" his hands blurred as he attacked. With difficulty the panthergast parried most of the blows, only having one arm and all. Ryouga slipped behind and stuck his finger in the monster side.
"Oh no" the monster growled letting his defenses down only to be battered by Ranma's onslaught. And then the coup de grace.
"Breaking point!" the monster's side exploded sending it sprawling the ground. Both martial arts masters stood over the whimpering mass and proceeded to pound it to dust. The other Panthergast growled and picked up his whip and took aim.
"You soul is mine, ha!" the whip extended and wrapped around the neck of it's victim, with one mighty pulse a blue sphere exited Jupiter's body. She fell limp and detransformed, Ranma stood in an errie silence. Makoto had jumped in front of the whip, but this one had removed her soul. Ryouga was shocked.
"You- you filthy bastard!" Ranma's aura became visible and glowed brightly, Ryouga 's began to glow.
"There was no point in killing her, she had nothing to do with this. I see that you don't leave here. PREPARE TO DIE!!" both glowed brighter.
"Mouko..." Ranma began
"Shi Shi..." Ryouga powered up
"Takabisha!" the blue ball of confidence flew out.
"Hokudan!" The green beam of depression rocketed forward. The Monster screamed in pain as it was annihilated, both boys ran to the side of Makoto. In their grief they didn't notice the stone panthergast begin to reform.

Mercury entered the park, and watched a blip disappear. "Oh no, Makoto...I'm too late". To her alarm she saw the blue and green power increase dramatically, there was a flash of in the distance. Not too far away and one of the nega dots disappeared. "Wow, that was unexpected" was all she could say as she arrived. A huge stone creature was about to attack some bystanders. "Mercury aqua rhapsody!" the monster was encased in ice, this caused the two bystanders to look toward that direction. Mercury gasped silently, *Ranma is the blue reading, he must be unfathomable strong and that other boy is right up there with him, no wonder. That nega creature never stood a chance* . Ranma looked toward Mercury for a minute and he was shocked for a second time.
"Ami?" he asked a bit torn at the moment. The girl in question stumble slightly.
"How'd you?"
"Never mind, we have to help Makoto. Her soul was separated from her body" he said sadly holding the warm globe of light.
"This isn't good, unless we can get that back inside her soon, she'll die" Mercury stated in a very serious tone. "How did it happen?".
"Some monster sucked it out with some kinda energy whip" Ryouga answered pointing to the whip that laid next to Makoto's still form. As Mercury began to analyze it, the panthergast's icy tomb cracked open.
"Ha Now you'll all suffer" it fired a black beam, Ryouga stepped up and fired a counter.
"Why won't you just die!" the blasts collided sending both combatants back. Ryouga flew back hitting and smashed into another body. They both laid still for a second, then Ryouga began to stir. He painfully opened his eyes and found himself looking straight into the face of a girl about his age. She was still unconscious from the force of Ryouga's recoil. *Wow* he admired her for a moment, then slowly stood. His thoughts when to Akane, of her catching him in mid transformation. *Akane doesn't want me...* he was surrounded by a deep green glow. *no one does!* the glow increased, he noticed the panthergast getting up and leveled him arms toward it "It's not FAIRRRRR!!!" The shi shi hokudan that was released was twice the normal size, the monster only had a second to react before being enveloped.

Usagi and Minako approached the battlefield, they were transformed and ready to fight. They stopped just in sight of a large monster made completely out of stone, crawling out of a small crater. Apparently it hadn't noticed them, so Sailor moon decided to finish it. "Moon Gorgeous Meditation!" the monster growled and shattered and the pieces were incinerated by a large green energy beam. Sailor moon and Sailor Venus exchanged a shocked gaze, that huge beam came from a boy standing next to an unconscious Sailor Mars.
"Usagi, Minako over here!" Ranma shouted, hearing the urgency in his voice they ignored the fact of his knowledge of their identities. Mercury finished the analysis on the whip as they approached.
"Oh god, Makoto" Minako said with a gasp, detransforming.
"What happened to her?" Sailor moon said kneeling by Makoto's body. Mercury flipped her visor back up.
"A monster has removed Makoto's soul from her body"
"Her soul? why would they want souls?"
"I'm not sure, but I figured out how we get them back into the victim" she picks up the whip, freezes it and throws it to the ground. When it shatters the ball of light floats out of Ranma's hands and into Makoto's body. Her eyes flutter and she groans.
"Makoto?!" Ranma helps her sit up. She looks at him and they're silent, the eyes locked. Ranma closes his eyes "You should have listened to me and got away. I could have taken him" he said calmly.
"Ranma, he was going to kill you. If I didn't stop him he would have taken your soul, I don't let that kind of thing happen to MY friends. That's my own personal code of honor" she stated with a weak smirk. Ranma smiled slightly.
"It still wasn't a good idea" Makoto crossed her arms.
"You would have done the same thing" there was a pause.
"Granted" there was another moan as Mars awoke. When she sat up, Ryouga looked away.
"I feel like I was hit by a freight train" she stated, Ryouga turns slightly red and felt uncomfortable.
"Well I better get going" he stated picking up his umbrella. Ranma let Usagi support Makoto and headed over to him.
"Hey wait up a sec" Ryouga stopped.
"What do you want Ranma?" his voice was cold but not as much as usual.
"You think you could hang around for a bit, I thought maybe we could talk for a little bit. Ya know catch up" Ranma's calmness made Ryouga paranoid.
"You must be desperate if you want to talk to me" Ranma gave a frustrated sigh.
"Just humor me here. As sad as it is your the my best friend and I figure at this point we have no more reason to hate each other" the sadness appeared for a second. Ryouga examined the situation *What does he mean by that? *.
"Why can't I just see you at the dojo next time I find it?" Ranma was silent for a moment.
"I'm not going back to the dojo...Akane nullified the marriage" Ryouga was surprised, their fights were never that bad. "I don't want to go into the details just yet". After a moment Ryouga gave in.
"Okay I'll stay, not like I have anywhere to go" he said with a shrug.
"Thanks, this means a lot to me. Besides I think some of the girls are checking you out" Ranma gained a sly grin. Ryouga blushed, * Why would a girl look at me, I'm no Ranma?* he thought looking over to the girls.

"What a hunk, he's every bit of good looking as Ranma" Minako stated to the others, even Ami was impressed by his physique. Usagi and Makoto weren't all that interested. "And he's so strong. Wow".
"That's the oaf that hit me" Rei said rubbing the back of her head. Minako turned to her, and protested.
"It wasn't his fault, the monster blasted him back. You happened to be coming from that way" she pointed out. Ami silently stared at him while they argued. *He's strong, kind, motivated..but there's something off about him. I just can't place it, hmmm* she thought to herself.

Off in the shadows Virgo cursed silently, "I sent out 2 of my most powerful monsters and they were destroyed by a bunch of kids. Where did they get all of that power?" she punched a tree which earned a small crack. "It doesn't make sense" a roar penetrated her thoughts.
"You failed" he said simply, fear filled Virgo. "You get one more chance before the master takes care of you" Leo nodded.
"Don't worry it won't happen again. I just wasn't giving them enough credit, but I have a plan now. Sure fire job" she stated in full confidence.
"It better be" with that he disappeared. Virgo clenched her fist and glared at the group.
"This fight is far from over, Saotome. You too Hibiki" she faded out leaving only a chill breeze...

to be continued