Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Almost ❯ Almost ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Almost
 
Disclaimer: I own nothing.
 
_------------------------------_
 
Ukyou remembers a time when Ranma actually looked at her when he talked to her, actually gave her his full attention (well, as much attention as a five year old can give, anyway), when he thought of her, only of her, not of going home or people attacking him or thinking of the short-haired girl she sometimes calls her friend and she sometimes calls her rival.
 
It is no competition. (One of them is not worthy of the other. Leave it at that.)
 
He made his choice long ago. Ukyo knows that. Ukyo also thinks she knows his choice.
 
But she could be wrong. (She could be very very wrong)
 
So she feeds him, gives him presents and gives him care and gives him love (don't laugh. It's perfectly good love and care, if a little rancid). She does all that, to reinforce what she thinks is his choice.
 
But it hurts her, somewhere deep inside, when she feels his attention shift from her , and it's not on her food- which still hers in a way and is almost as good as paying attention to her (almost, but then Ukyo is used to `almost's)- and it's not on his potential attackers -a bit upsetting, yes, but they make him strong and she likes him strong (she's not sure who he's strong for, but it doesn't matter. Not one bit.)- But it's on the short-haired girl who she sometimes calls her friend and she sometimes calls her rival.
 
And Ukyo hates this, because when she looks up from her gay chattering and traces his gaze to her, laughing with real friends; she almost feels she is wrong about his choice. Almost.
 
But she could be wrong. (She could be very very wrong.)
 
But even though he's looking at her, thinking about her, and talking about her, he's still with Ukyo -not her- and it's almost good enough. Almost.
 
But then Ukyo is used to `almost's.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
I will never be able to hate her properly again. Shame. I pity her, because she's so desperate and deluded, but… there's a point, you know.