Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Master - Old Version ❯ Chapter 1: That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 1: That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Dragon Master - A Ranma 1/2 / AMG and more Xover
silverbreeze@softhome.net http://cyberlife.gq.nu 20001102 20001107 - Revision 20011026 - Minor Changes

***Thoughts*** +Chinese+ <Telepathic Communication (2 way rather then Mind Reading)>

It is morning in Nemira. Somewhere in the world there is a peace and silence. But this is Nemira, the home of the best marital artists in the world. Sit back and let me tell you a story. This is the story of Soatome Ranma and the bond he makes with the smartest and most peaceful person in the world, one Tendo Kasumi. As I was saying it is morning in Nemira. A very special morning. Today the Universe will change and only two people will sense it coming. Only two people will understand it.
-- The Cat Cafe -- In a Spartan room, where the only real objects are magical treasures of the Chinese Amazons. Floating in the air a foot from the floor in lotus seat is the ancient being known as Cologne, Amazon Elder, Master of the Amazon Arts. She is floating in the air, deep in meditation. Suddenly she senses something new, ***Change is coming. And when change comes it focuses on one person here. What are you up to Son - in - Law.*** thinks Cologne as she reaches out with her ki drawing her staff to her and floating down to perch on it as is her custom. Pogoing over to the door she opens it and starts down to begin the day. A smile on his wrinkled face, "May you live in interesting times Ranma Soatome.", mutters Cologne as he starts up the stoves and water heaters.
-- Somewhere on the other side of town -- A foot tall figure in a black gi, a handkerchief around his head tied under his nose in a form of ninja mask. He is jumping along the rooftops heading home it seems as the sun rises. Over his shoulder the Grandmaster Happosai of the Anything Goes Ryu, carries his sack of goodies. Suddenly he stiffens and almost loses his grip on the bag of ladies under things he is carrying, "Change is coming but My Style loves change", with a smile Happosai jumps through his window "Ah home at last. Time to get some rest, If change is coming I think I will go on a trip.", Happosai says and he lays down on a pile of lady things three feet high to regenerate.
-- A bit later - Tendo Dojo.-- Kasumi gets up silently and slides through her kata. With a skill few can match. ***I will not be able to fool Ranma much longer, He is soon going to be a Master. A true one better then Father or Uncle. Better then Grandfather or Elder Cologne.***, Kasumi sighs and smiles sadly, ***If only I had given him a chance.... My own pride... Poor Ranma-sama, Akane just won't grow up.***
Kasumi blinks and stops, "Oh my where did that come from?" Kasumi grabs her bathing things and goes down to bathe then make breakfast. Soon after she has started cooking breakfast, Kasumi senses Ranma moves around her house. She can tell Uncle Soatome is still asleep, there is a smile on his lips as Ranma bathes, ***It isn't my imagination he does count me a friend at least, he remembered to come help.***
A feeling of happiness flows through Kasumi as Ranma enters the kitchen and starts to help out. ***I think I love you Ranma. I wish I can do something to ... be with you.***, even as Kasumi thinks this her face doesn't show anything, she watches Ranma out of the corner of her eye and sees reason to hope. For Ranma, future Grandmaster, seems to hover protectively around her when he doesn't think anyone notices. He has been since a for the past year. It seems Ranma has grown away from Akane since a month after the fight with Saffron. Kasumi had noticed, perhaps Nabiki too but no one else. The very fact gives Kasumi hope that she is still beautiful and worthy of a man.
-- Breakfast - Tendo Dojo -- The Tendos and Soatomes are sitting around the table. Soun at the head. Kasumi at the foot. The Soatomes Genma and Nodoka on Kasumi's left side. On Kasumi's right sits Ranma then Akane and Nabiki. They are eating calmly Ranma and Genma fighting over the table. Most people think its because Ranma is as greedy about food as his father. Only Kasumi, Nabiki and Auntie Soatome try to see why they are sparring. Of those only Kasumi can see that Ranma is defending HER plate as she serves seconds to the others.
With a sigh Kasumi speaks, "Uncle Soatome could you stop please, we all know Ranma is better then you or father. If you keep trying to steal MY food he may react to really protect me..." Kasumi suddenly blushes, "Did I say that out loud?" While Nabiki and Nodoka grin knowingly at Kasumi, Ranma snaps Genma's chopsticks with a swift movement. "Ya heard Kasumi-chan, Pops. Ya want to eat her cooking ya better stop." The so called 'Men' around the table stare in shock, their minds refusing to make the connections this early in the morning. Nodoka watches Kasumi and seems to nod, ***Yes I approve of Kasumi more then Akane. Akane has done nothing but hurt Ranma. It is proof of his honor and Manliness that he never broke up with her, even though she did break up almost monthly***. Nabiki blinks and smiles, ***A puzzle, I need to find out what's going on.. Kasumi does seem happier. Soatome?? I wonder. ***
Akane fumes, "You baka PERVERT, calling my sister Kasumi-CHAN. PERVERT!!!" Akane back fists Ranma toward the Koi pond. Sadly he never makes it as he head cracks against the largest boulder and Ranma is knocked out. Everyone watches in shock the first to move is Kasumi suddenly she is jumps across the table and backhands Akane, "Akane go to your room. How dare you hit the most honorable man in Tokyo like that, after all he has done for you and our family." Kasumi doesn't wait for an answer as she runs out to kneel beside Ranma trying to stay the blood, "Please Ranma don't leave ... please!" Nabiki drags Akane up to her room as the others stare after Kasumi in pure shock. "Did you all think she would be infinitely patient with us. Out of all of us only Ranma and Auntie ever helped her!, Nabiki yells as she drags Akane up the steps three at a time. Kasumi does what she can for Ranma and carries him into the dojo where she can keep him safe, "Please Ranma, heal and survive ... for me please."
Few know this but the Universe is alive. In fact there is a parent universe and many children. The universe where this story takes place suddenly feels danger. Its very reason for existence may die. He needs help. And so the Universe reaches out and heals the man called Ranma, sadly there is a side effect of this. A sleeping ability within the human must be awaken to balance the pure link to the universe. The Universe sighs and relaxes ... Ranma will live but never be quite the same again.
Evening - Tendo Dojo - The Dojo Hall Ranma is laying on a mat wrapped in blankets. Kasumi is still kneeling beside him. It appears she has not left his side. Nodoka comes in to get the tray of dirty dishes on the floor next to Kasumi and walks out not disturbing her. Ranma stirs his mind open and picking up the thoughts coming from Kasumi, ***Ranma, I am so sorry, don't leave please. Please give me a chance to tell you...*** Ranma moans and opens his eyes. His mind identifying the person beside him long before his eyes find her face, "Kasumi.... what happened?" Kasumi's mind flashes images which Ranma sees, "Weird, Thank you for slapping her and defending me Kasumi." Kasumi blinks and looks toward Ranma, ***How did he know. I haven't said anything***. Ranma sits up slowly and looks at Kasumi. "We need to talk Kasumi-chan." Kasumi kneels trying to appear calm, ***He did call me Kasumi-chan again.. do I have a chance?*** Ranma blinks and looks into Kasumi's eyes.
++++++ Contact ++++++ Hundreds of images and feelings. Training in her mother's secret Art. The death of a loved mother. Pain of being alone. Watching Akane become older. Start to hate boys. Become violent. Watching Nabiki become a mercenary. The pain of realizing Tofu will near be what you need. Finding out about Ranma.. Letting fear stop you. Later regretting not manipulating the others into letting you become his fiancée as slowly you notice the level of intelligence he hides. the amazing level of honor he follows. A level of compassion equal or maybe greater then your own. The pain of realizing what you gave up. The possibilities you have given up. The oath in private to support him silently. Watching as he falls in love with Akane and saves her again and again. Listening in shock to the stories of what he did to Saffron in China. Knowing it could of been me who had such loyalty. If he could love Akane maybe he could love me with my secret arts. Learning to laugh at his side. Learning to play again over the year since the adventure in China as Akane continues to refuse to grow up and I for one notice. Ranma beginning to give up then finding a friend in me. Hope that maybe I can have a turn. Crying real tears after Ranma is struck down by Akane for being protective of me. ++++++
Kasumi blinks, ***Wow the look on his face.. What did I just say to him?***. Ranma takes Kasumi's hand and smiles, "Its not what you said its what your soul showed. Kasumi, I will share something with you and you alone. Or I will try". Kasumi blinks fear flowing off her, *WHAT!!!!!!!!! =massive fear response= What does he know.. Oh no he can read my mind?!* Ranma sits up and cups Kasumi's face, "Shared lives and shared souls."
++++++ Contact ++++++ A life of hardship. Dragged from you mother to be trained in the Arts by a amoral Artist and thief. The cat fist training the pain of having no one to trust. Losing friends. Tricked into leaving Ucchan. Sighing as Ryoga never shows up for the duel. A hundred times betrayed and hurt. The pain of the curse. Meeting the Tendos. Finding Kasumi friendly and beautiful. Nabiki as a misguided but loyal to her family mercenary. Akane going from possible friend to violent tomboy. Millions of battles many to protect Akane's honor. The battle with Saffron. Hoping Akane will change when we get back. Nothing changing.. Young love that has been so steadfast twists and fades into very mild friendship for the sake of another and patient tolerance. Finding a reason to stay in Kasumi making sure to help her. Falling for her and not fighting it too hard. The morning feeling joy at protecting Kasumi's food as strong if not stronger as the pleasure of the past in protecting Akane, Now the fear that the beautiful woman before me will reject me not only as a suitor but as a friend. ++++++
Ranma keeps holding Kasumi's face looking into hers eyes. "Please do not leave me alone. If you don't want to act on the other things. Please be my friend." Kasumi smiles. "Let me go bathe. I will be back Ranma. I promise. I just need sometime to think by myself. Ranma smiles and lets his hands to drop only to have Kasumi catch one and press the palm to her cheek, "Then I will give you an answer, but friends we will be. Having a friend who knows me so well will be good." Ranma blushes and "um". He watches Kasumi as she gets up to go bathe.
-- 10 minutes later just as Ranma is about to fall into a nap.--
A shadow appears over Ranma, even though he could hear her thoughts long before, ***Ranma okay.. Please be okay. Shampoo worried***. Without thinking Ranma looks into her eyes.
++++++ Contact ++++++ A lifetime of training. Being alone avoided by the woman chased by the men for her body. Then the outsider comes. Losing, following the traditions. Finding Ranma, Ranma defends, the kitchen destroyer and beats me. Main battles. Falling in love. Failure ... The curse ... The pain of finding out about Cat Fu and its affect on Ranma. Love and Friendship blending. Changing to accept Ranma. Fear that he won't be even a friend. Worry about what she did this time. ++++++
Ranma sighs and holds his head, "Shampoo come back tomorrow okay sweetie?" Shampoo nods in shock, "Shampoo bring too too tasty soup for Ranma." Ranma squeezes Shampoo's hand. "Thank you Xain-Pu. I need to rest now." Shampoo wants to glomp onto Ranma but remembers he is badly hurt. "Ranma let Shampoo come back tomorrow... Shampoo can come? " Ranma smiles, "Yes Xain-Pu, Now I need to rest." Perhaps for the first time Shampoo leaves the dojo with both happiness and pain, ***Ranma be Shampoo friend please. Shampoo knows she will not win the battle for heart***. Ranma smiles, ***Yes we will be friends if you allow it. But you will never believe who won my heart Xain-Pu.***
-- Ten minutes after Shampoo left -- Nabiki comes into the Dojo to check on Ranma, ***Well Satome it seems you caught Oneechan's heart. Don't take that lightly. I know you are smarter then you look. I know you won't hurt her, As cynical as I am. Take care of her Satome. I have to figure out how to call a Truce. = a feeling of worry not know how to do that=*** Ranma turns toward Nabiki and meets her eyes on purpose, he never understood her, "Can we call a truce and try to be friends. One way or another we are going to be family!" Nabiki nods and meets Ranma's eyes, "I will help even. For free, just give me a chance as your friend. I have been blind to not notice your heart changing away from Akane and toward Kasumi. I still am not sure you are worthy her. But she believes you are.. So..**"
Contact ++++++ The same images of Tendo Kieko's deathbed as Kasumi, the pain of being alone. Having to take over all the finances. So lonely. No friends, no allies. Ranma, thoughts on how to use him. Using him.. The Battles, The failed wedding. Again and again problems I caused. Or problems I made worse. Ranma defending us all. The battles that saved the Dojo. Akane never changing. Wishing I chose him. Such loyalty Ranma VS Saffron, all the stories after 2 years learning to believe the impossible. Seeing him helping Kasumi, Kasumi is happy again for the first time in a long time. Happiness for Kasumi. Hope for a friend?? The dining table. Noticing . Ranma and Gemma sparring. Looking over to see Gemma trying to steal Kasumi's food. Watching Ranma defend it with more skill then he ever did his own. Realizing he held back against his father. Realizing Gemma has been unable to get anything. Maybe in all his fights he uses only barely enough. Yes he is smart enough. Hearing Kasumi's speech.. Grinning happy for Oneechan. Hearing Ranma call her Kasumi-chan and knowing Akane will hit him. Fear at the head wound, Fear that Oneechan will lose the reason she is happy again. Shock and a sense of justice as Kasumi slaps Akane. Happy shock at her words. Noticing the worried look on Auntie's face.. Noticing the approval toward Kasumi. Knowing the battle will soon be over. Kasumi will take Ranma.. Knowing Kasumi is the best Martial Artist of all the living Tendos, Knowing Ranma will train her even more. Knowing Ranma is a Master in all but title. Wondering when he will take the challenge. Trusting Ranma to pull through... Hoping for forgiveness.
++++++
Ranma suddenly floods Nabiki will loneliness knowing he needs her trust. Nabiki folding under the sheer force of emotion, crying against Ranma's chest. Ranma cradles her and strokes her hair. Flooding her with acceptance and brotherhood. Nabiki resting there noticing how like Kasumi, Ranma can be. Nabiki surprising herself as she whispers, "Thank you Oniisama, Allow me the time to make amends." Ranma shocked kissing the top of Nabiki's head. "Um okay. Ya better now??" Nabiki nodding moves back letting go of the man she now is sure will become her brother, "Thank you Ranma." Nabiki walks out wiping his eyes. Passing Kasumi as Kasumi enters, "You are lucky Oneechan, Keep him or if you can't I will try to take you place. He is a keeper." Kasumi smiles, "Thank you little sister. I will do my best."
Ranma lays there listening to the thoughts at the door. And realizing he can block them out and that there is a difference with Kasumi compared with the others. Ranma tests something, ***Hmm I wonder. <Kasumi-chan?? Can you hear me?>***. Kasumi blushes and looks away from Nabiki, "Yes Ranma??" Nabiki blinks and looks back at Ranma, "Ah Kasumi, he didn't say anything!" Kasumi looks strangely at Nabiki and shrugs only saying "Oh my" as she moves to Ranma's side.
Ranma without moving his lips speaks to Kasumi, <She is right Kasumi, Our bond is different then the scanning I have of Nabiki and Shampoo. I think we can communicate mind to mind. Just try it. Try to think like you are talking to me. I am blocking normal thoughts now, okay?> Kasumi thinks for a bit, ***Ranma can you hear me when I am just thinking? Or do I have some privacy? Please be honest.*** When she gets no answer tries to think at Ranma, <Ranma?? Can you hear me now?>. Ranma smiles. <Yeah I heard you ask if I can hear you.> Kasumi grins, "That will be useful. Come on Ranma-kun, Lets take you to your room."
Ranma lets Kasumi help him up but sighs, ***Mental formulas*** <I better sleep out here Kasumi-chan, I don't want to sleep near Pop, All he dreams about is Food. And mom is almost as bad.> Kasumi nods understanding, "Makes sense, you could sleep in my room." <Images of what could happen flood both minds> Ranma meeps, "Oh no now you will hit me" Kasumi shakes her head, <I am not Akane. Somehow I can tell the difference now. I know some of those images where mine. Its okay, It is the truth.>. "I still think its the best idea." Nodoka walks up and helps support Ranma on the other side. "What idea, Kasumi, dear??" Kasumi explains, "Ranma can't take Uncle's snoring when his head pounds like this. So I offered to let him stay with me. <So I can look after him>. Nodoka looks at Kasumi, "I agree that's a good idea. None of his rivals would look in your room too. ***Oh my son is so manly if even Kasumi wants to share his bed. I hope they work it all out. I want her for a daughter in law.***" Ranma blinks and stumbles but avoids his mother's eyes, <Kaschan, you are still broadcasting. Oh my, Mother wants us to be the ones to joined.> Kasumi blinks, "Oh my", <I am sorry, this will take some time to get used to shifting between. Ah Ranma, would it be so bad. You and me? > Ranma looks at Kasumi, "Your room then Kaschan. <No no Kasumi, but can we go slow?>. Kasumi blushing nods, "Yes if that's what you wish Ranma-sama." Ranma rolls his eyes slowly., "Oh my, being called that is so embarrassing" Kasumi blushes deeper and sends, <Ranma, you realize you are thinking kinda like me with Nabiki favoring.> Ranma nods, < I realized it, That's why I am avoiding eye contact with Mother. Hopefully I can learn to control it.> Kasumi nods, ***Yes he is smart***, "Lets go then Ranma-kun." Nodoka smiles, ***They are already teasing each other, how long has this been going on and I missed it.*** Ranma dreams of training never realizing that the Universe is training him in his dreams to use and control his new power. The Universe smiles as Ranma masters this technique.

Author Notes Well I am done with chapter One. Next Chapter 2: Morning After 20001107 - Revisions are partly my own rereading after walking away for a bit and some help from Josh. Thanks dude.