Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Fate: one half ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Day 2.
 
A few notes about changes to the canon Fate\stay night timeline.
 
Shiro introduces Saber to Taiga the first morning after she was couldn't come that morning because Zouken ordered her to perform the summoning ritual as soon as first night, Rin didn't drag Shiro and Saber off to Kotomine, so they never met Ilya and Berserker that night. Instead she and Archer searched for more Masters. Shiro met Kotomine in the morning.
 
-
 
When Ranma woke up, she gladly thought that her sleep was dreamless. Briefly scanning her condition, he or rather she found herself way more relaxed then she could ever feel with those stupid morning ambushes her father kept calling awareness practice.
 
When she looked around, she saw that Sakura already left and a delicious smell of food could be felt in the air. And even though she wasn't really hungry, she licked her lips in anticipation, something that on her current form looked like it was caused by anything but hunger. Hunger for food that is.
 
“Man, finally a real home-cooked meal instead of that cheap stuff Pops always buys or steals.”
 
“It's seems it's not ready though.” she sighed with disappointment and since she didn't want to distract anyone from the kitchen, she decided to wander around in search of a place to train.
 
-
 
Finally she heard the sounds of quick movements and controlled breathing that usually accompanied sparring sessions. When she entered the room, she saw Saber, in everyday clothing instead of her armored dress, doing katas with a wooden sword.
 
“Do you mind if I spar with you? Or you'll try to kill me again?” asked Rider, her melodic voice sounding almost sarcastic.
 
Saber looked at her with a guarded glare and answered.
 
“I promised my Master that I won't attack you until you attack us first and I'm afraid it includes any training matches.”
 
`At least today I won't ' she added mentally and repositioned herself so she could keep the other Servant in sight while she practiced.
 
-
 
“Ah, food!” exclaimed Ranma, still in his girl form when Shiro came to call them for breakfast and turned into a blur.
 
“Shiro! Who is that purple haired woman?” came the cry from the the living room. It signaled that Taiga Fujimura, Shiro's English teacher and guardian, met with Rider.
 
Upon hearing Taiga's roar, Shiro felt his doom approach and almost turned into a blur himself.
 
-
 
“I knew I should've not agreed to let any girls to live with you. You've three of them with you now.” cried Taiga, grabbing the boy by his shirt.
 
“B-But, Fuji-nee-e.” tried to answer the boy while the Taiga shook him like a leaf.
 
“With Sakura living here I can prepare twice as much food you like so much. And Rider is her guardian, so you don't have to worry about her.”
 
“Ohh, a guardian.” cooed Taiga teasingly and put the boy down.
 
She thought about complimenting Shiro to Sakura's guardian, but she really needed to speak with her about her clothing, that blindfold and even a tattoo on her forehead! She just couldn't leave Shiro with woman with such a taste!
 
-
 
She walked closer to Rider (that name!) and asked in a rather forceful and moderately suspicious voice.
 
“Why do wear a blindfold? And that tattoo! Can't you wear something normal instead of that dress?!”
 
Rider shrugged and answered indifferently.
 
“I like my blindfold. It's a good protection for my eyes. The dress doesn't hinder my movements and I don't care about tattoo.”
 
`And there's no way I'm wearing girl's clothes if I can help it.' she added as an afterthought.
 
“Oh.” blinked the other girl when she heard that efficiency is everything attitude. If that Rider was a bodyguard and not Sakura's caretaker who came here to ensure that Shiro is good enough to be her boyfriend as she first thought, then arguing would only result in dry 'I'm just doing my job' answers.
 
“So, you guard Sakura's life.” she half-stated, deflating.
 
Now it was Ranma's turn to blink.
 
“Yeah. I protect her. What did you think I was doing?”
 
Not receiving an answer, Rider turned to food and said.
 
“If that's everything, then it's time to eat!”
 
-
 
When they started to eat, Shiro sweatdropped when he saw Rider demolish all of her food and ask for more in less then a minute.
 
`Maybe they came here because Sakura couldn't get enough food to satisfy her.' he thought in a slight amazement but shook those thoughts away. Sakura would never do such a thing.
 
-
 
“Hey, quit stealing all those delicious things!” yelled Taiga at Sakura's guardian, when she targeted one of her favorite dishes and her chopsticks clicked in the thin air because Rider was first to clean it out.
 
Hearing that Ranma paused in her eating for a second, not wanting to look bad to people that so far were more then nice to her, even if a little thickheaded, and smiled when she got an idea.
 
“You want it, you fight for it. With these.” She said and clicked her chopsticks in the air.
 
-
 
“Damn. What are these things are made from? Paper?” she exclaimed when Taiga won that delicious piece she wanted because her chopsticks broke again.
 
Thinking fast, she gave her last set to Shiro. “Here. Since you can do magic maybe you can make them stronger or something?”
 
He sighed and nodded. “I can reinforce them.” He took them and closed his eyes, not willing to see the childish antics of both women and Saber's disapproving glare.
 
`Trace: on'
 
He imagined the item in his hand to help his concentration and felt his magic activate and flow through his that the spell completed his work, he opened his eyes and saw that Rider already had another set.
 
“Here.” He said, giving them back. Rider gave him a surprised look when she took them, because she snatched her chopsticks back the very moment Taiga targeted another dish and wasn't expecting him to hand her more.
 
-
 
After the breakfast, rather short thanks to both Servants and Taiga's early leave, both Shiro and Sakura prepared for school and the girl asked her purple haired friend.
 
“Do you want to go to the school with us?”
 
Ranma blinked in surprise and answered.
 
“Nah. I don't really like school. I'll stay here to practice. And don't worry, if anything bad happens to you, I'll feel it and come to help.”
 
-
 
Several classes later, Rin TÅsaka, a model student, an idol of this school and the girl who saved Shiro' life after he was almost killed by Lancer a night ago, came to him with a look that was less then pleasant.
 
“Emiya, did you know that Sakura is one of the Masters? Archer saw the seals on her hand while he followed you.”
 
“Yes. But I will not kill either of them.”
 
“How do you expect to end the War then?” asked Rin in sarcastic voice. “By allying with all of the Masters and then asking them to dismiss their Servants or just forget about the Grail?”
 
“I will not harm them.” answered Shiro in a, rare for him, firm voice.
 
Rin threw up her hands in exasperation and turning around, she said.
 
“You're lucky that Archer can't fight other Servants yet, or I would've made you surrender Saber's Command Seal to me. Even though just killing you would be a lot easier.”
 
-
 
After the school ended, Shiro went home wondering, along the way, why Ayako Mitsuzuri was absent from both school and archery dojo for several days already.
 
When he remembered that he left both Servants alone and that they yesterday they were ready to kill each other, he started to walk much faster.
 
-
 
But when he arrived he found out that it's going to the least of his worries for now, since all of the food in the house was eaten and Rider smiling in a mischievous way that made the boy rather uncomfortable, because such smile usually meant that he was about to be asked to do something rather hard.
 
“I'll go buy some more food.” He sighed and turned around to walk outside, when he felt a hand on his collar.
 
“Sakura asked me to help you with buying food and I need you to give me directions. Now hold on!” said Ranma and jumped on the roof of the nearest house.
 
Almost immediately, another figure jumped after them, her armor appearing in mid-flight.
 
-
 
“We're home.” said Rider when she returned, carrying a huge bag in each hand and Saber landed soon after, carrying the boy. At Sakura's suggestion, both bags and Shiro were dropped off in the kitchen, since dinner time wasn't that far away already.
 
-
 
When the night came and Sakura started to think of a way to be invited into Shiro's room for the night, an unexpected guest came.
 
“Emiya, it's time for patrolling the city. Maybe will find another Master tonight… Sakura, what are you doing here so late?!” exclaimed Rin TÅsaka when she entered the house and saw her sister with her Servant sitting in the living room along with Shiro and Saber. And they didn't look like they were going home anytime soon.
 
“Shiro allowed us to live with him. And what are you doing here?” answered the plum haired girl with mixed feelings in her voice. Her sister was the last person she expected to see tonight and she wanted to ruin her night with Shiro, no less!
 
“Emiya, I'll really have to talk with you about that.” said Rin to the boy and turned to her sister again.
 
“Sakura we could use Rider's help but you'll have to stay here, since you're not fit for fighting.”
 
“No, I think it'll be better if I and Shiro went out and you stayed here, Rin. You don't have a Servant, do you?” answered the girl, hoping that she'll have some private time with Shiro after all.
 
“This is no time to get jealous! He allowed you to stay because he's too soft to refuse, just like he agreed yesterday that I should stay here as well.”
 
“Silence, Shiro!” Rin interrupted the boy before he could ask, when exactly he allowed her to live in his house.
 
“And since my Servant is wounded and I'm a more experienced Master than you, it'll be better if you gave Rider to me.” said Rin, wanting to both remove her sister from the War and possible harm and fully return to the War as a Master.
 
But when she saw the other girl defiantly shake her head, Rin sighed and decided that actions speak louder than words. She grabbed Shiro's hand and pulled him outside with Saber following them and soon only their fading voices could be heard.
 
“You don't have to treat Servants as humans. They are just spiritual beings.”
 
“I can't do it, Rin.”
 
“Hopeless.”
 
-
 
“So…” Ranma broke the uncomfortable atmosphere created by Sakura's nervousness.
 
“Want me to follow them and help if they get into a fight they can't handle?”
 
The girl kept her silence for another minute before worry for Shiro's safety won over helping Rin.
 
“Yes. I won't forgive myself if Sempai gets hurt because I wasn't there to help.” said the girl and stood up so her Servant could pick her up.
 
“Hold on!” said Rider cheerfully and started roof hopping in the direction she thought that others went.
 
-
 
“Can you see them yet?” asked the girl in Ranma arms after several minutes of high speed jumping.
 
“No. Maybe they turned somewhere… Oh, wait. I feel something.”
 
After a few more jumps in a new direction, they landed near a woman in purple and green robes, whose hood was off revealing her blue hair and closed eyes.
 
“What happened here?” asked Ranma putting Sakura down so she could inspect the woman's wounds but found none.
 
“Maybe she's a Servant and her Master died and left her without any Mana?”
 
“What's Mana?”
 
“It's power that Masters provide for their Servants. It's vital for Servant's existence.”
 
“That's good to know.” sweatdropped Ranma, realizing that if it weren't for Sakura's summoning, she would've probably be dead by now.
 
“I can't just leave her to die in the street. Is there any way to help her?”
 
“I don't know. Maybe if we brought her home.”
 
-
 
When they returned home, they saw that the house was still empty and put the blue haired woman on the bed in their room.
 
“Damn, none of the pressure points are working.” cursed black and purple clad woman, trying to wake up their guest. `Maybe the curse throws my aim off and I just can't find them'
 
-
 
A minute later, the raven-haired boy came into the room, but the pressure points still refused to work. Frowning he decided to use less gentle but almost as effective methods.
 
He shook her hard and then slapped. The woman slowly opened her blue eyes, that held even richer color than Ranma's sapphire ones
 
“Why am I here?” she asked, looking around.
 
“Well…” answered the boy scratching the base of his ponytail.
 
“We found you on the street and brought here. I couldn't just leave you here, okay?” he finished a bit harsher when he saw her faint disbelieving look.
 
“I sense some Mana in you, but you are no mage. How did that happened?” she asked, too tired to think of his unusual kindness.
 
“I do? Say, is there a way to give it to you?
 
“Only if your become my Master. And I, Caster class Servant, am not sure I'll refuse.” faintly smiled Caster.
 
“So you're a Servant after all. I'll become your Master, but first there's a thing you must know about.”
 
The boy stood up and splashed himself with cold water from the glass nearby. After a sparkling show, he changed into a… Servant!
 
`How is it possible? Is it her Noble Phantasm or an external spell?' she thought, and tried to feel what kind of magic did that but she was too low on Mana even for the simplest of spells.
 
“So, do you agree?” said Rider, using hot water to change back.
 
“Yes, Mistress.” smiled Caster and noticed the boy wince at that.
 
-
 
Ranma's words about the trio meeting somebody too strong for them, proved to be a prophecy when a giant that looked like he was carved from stone landed in front of Saber and two Masters.
 
“Get back Shiro.” commanded Saber walking in front of the Masters and taking her battle stance
 
“Good night Rin, good night onii-chan.” cheerfully said the girl, that the giant was carrying in his arms, when she was put down.
 
“I'm Illyasviel von Einzbern.” she said and smiled when she saw surprise on the Rin's face.
 
“I see there's no need to introduce myself any further. Now I just want to ask you Rin, before Berserker kills you all. Are you Lancer's Master? He appeared yesterday, tried to kill Berserker and even escaped!” Ilya stomped, like a child who was denied a piece of candy.
 
“No.” answered Rin, whispering to her companions to be careful.
 
“Too bad. But now you'll die.” said Ilya, her voice not losing its cheerfulness. “Do it, Berserker!”
 
The giant leaped at the trio with roar, the change from standing stone still to movement as abrupt as an explosion.
 
Saber jumped towards him and after deflecting his axe-club she jumped to side to avoid follow up swing and tried to slash his right shoulder, only to get backhanded away.
 
“Saber!”
 
“I'm fine, Shiro.” answered the swordswoman as she dodged both the axe-club and the shockwave, that she could see because of her 'Invisible Air' training. She leaped on the nearby pole and ran along the wires towards Berserker's Master, but the giant was fast enough to save Ilya with a series of swings that Saber barely parried.
 
“Kill her Berserker! Now!”
 
The giant roared in fury again and charged his enemy. Saber charged as well, knowing now how she could land a hit. Both warriors met and departed, Saber's sword drawing a cloud of sparks from the giant's skin while the axe-club drew a cloud of blood.
 
“Saber!! Run!” yelled Shiro when he saw Saber fall to the ground, Rin put a hand on his shoulder to prevent him from running to his Servant.
 
“Nobody can withstand power of the strongest hero of Greece.” smiled Ilya, although her smile carried no warmth.
 
“You mean? Could it be…?' asked Rin, her grip on Shiro's shoulder weakened because of the shock.
 
“Yes. His name is Hercules, the strongest of Servants. Finish her now, Berserker!” said Ilya and the giant swing his weapon at Saber.
 
`Saber! I… I won't let you die!' thought Shiro, and his Holy Mark briefly flared to life, giving him enough speed to shove Saber out the way. But he was too late to dodge himself and the axe-club crushed his arm and ribs, creating a fountain of blood.
 
“Shiro!” cried both Saber and Rin while Ilya just stared at his crushed body in astonishment.
 
“Why?” suddenly her expression changed to the irritation and she said.
 
“This is boring. I'll kill you next time Rin. Come, Berserker!”
 
-
 
Soon Ilya disappeared in the night leaving TÅsaka with a task to carry the boy to his home, since Saber barely could walk herself.
 
“Of all the stupid things to do, Emiya.” she sighed, her clothes immediately becoming soaked with blood when she picked up the boy.