Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Fate: one half ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Day 8
-
 
Rider woke up from because somebody restlessly lay on her chest, producing sensations she rather wouldn't think about. Opening her eyes she saw Sakura sleeping on top of her and, judging by her constant moving, she saw a nightmare.
 
Ranma moved her hand to stroke Sakura's hair, hoping that would calm the girl, but it didn't seem to work. Frowning at what she was about to do, Rider carefully turned around, removing herself from under the other girl and shook Sakura.
 
“Wake up.”
 
Sakura stopped moving and slowly opened her eyes. Blinking several times to, most likely, push away the remains of her nightmare, she said in slightly trembling voice, faintly smiling.
 
“I think I saw you past. I didn't know that your life was even harder then mine.”
 
“My past?” Ranma blinked in surprise. “You don't mean Nekoken and stuff?”
 
“Nekoken? No, I mean how Athena cursed you and your sisters. And what happened after that.”
 
“Oh, that past.” answered Ranma, feeling herself slightly uncomfortable. She didn't know what Sakura was talking about, but if she thought that her life was easier... that made Ranma hope that she won't remember those events at all.
 
-
 
The door to their room opened, revealing Ilya who asked in a sleepy voice, breaking the awkward silence.
 
“Will you prepare the breakfast? Onii-chan is still resting and Saber is horrible at cooking.”
 
“Yes, we'll prepare it.” answered Sakura and got out of the bed to change in her day clothes, leaving Rider in the bed with a surprised look in her eyes.
 
“We?”
 
Sakura finished buttoning her blouse and turning around, she answered with a smile.
 
“Of course. I always dreamed of doing so many things together with my family.”
 
When Rider sighed and got out of the bed as well, Sakura looked over her Servant's clothing and asked.
 
“Maybe we should go shopping after the breakfast. Your clothes look very nice on you, but they are the only ones you have.”
 
“No, no, no. I won't wear dresses or any of that girly stuff. I'm happy with what I have.” answered Ranma in a slightly panicked and heated voice.
 
`It's enough that I'm constantly in my girl form and became your big sister. Although, it does feel nice to have you as my sister, Sakura.'
 
“I won't force you into anything. We'll just look around and maybe you'll like something.”
 
Rider sighed again and nodding, she followed joyous girl to the kitchen.
 
-
 
“Good morning, Shiro.” Rin's voice welcomed the redheaded boy when he woke up.
 
“Rin? What are doing here?” asked Shiro when he saw that Rin, most likely, stayed awake for the whole night.
 
Tosaka waved with a book she was holding and yawning, she said.
 
“I've been doing research on how you could survive that shadow attack. And even though it took me a whole night of reading and experimenting on you, I think I found an answer.”
 
“Experimenting!?”
 
“Don't worry it was nothing you couldn't handle.” Rin yawned again and suddenly asked.
 
“Do you know why I wanted to summon Saber? Because as long as King Arthur has his sheath for Excalibur, Avalon, he can't bleed. So I thought that it'll make Saber the strongest Servant.”
 
“How was King Arthur killed then?” asked Shiro, not quite understanding what Rin wanted to say.
 
“According to legend, the sheath was stolen.” answered Rin and smiling mischievously, said.
 
“And that sheath is exactly what kept you alive throughout the War. Kiritsugu Emiya was Saber's Master in the previous War and putting Avalon in you was probably the only way to save you.”
 
Deciding that if she didn't want to fall asleep in Shiro's room, because her sleepiness increased ten-fold when she finally told the boy about what she found out, Rin stood up and walked to the door, saying.
 
“You better go to the kitchen if you don't want Sakura to reheat your portion of breakfast again. Oh, and don't worry about the school, Taiga said that she'll take care of it.”
 
-
 
When Shiro entered the kitchen, he was greeted by a tackle from Ilya.
 
“Good morning Shiro. Sakura said that she needed to go shopping and asked me to keep the food warm for you.”
 
Shiro carefully put the girl down and said, while he busied himself with breakfast.
 
“Thank you Ilya. Did Rider go with Sakura?”
 
Ilya nodded and when the boy sat down and started to eat, she said.
 
“Now there are only two Servants left. Will you abandon Saber or kill Rider now? I, personally, would've chosen Saber.”
 
Shiro defiantly shook his head.
 
“No. I'll not hurt either one. You should know that well enough. And don't try to get Saber fight Rider without me knowing.”
 
“You are no fun, onii-chan. What do you think Saber will say when you tell her that, because you can't harm another Servant, she won't get her wish granted by Grail? You'll hurt her either way.“ said Ilya pouting and sat nearby, watching her brother eat, her crimson eyes seemingly looking at his very soul.
 
-
 
“Ahh! Rider lets go there!” said Sakura, tugging her big sister's glove, impatience and happiness mixed in her voice.
 
“All right, all right. I'm going.” answered the older girl and took the bag she put down when they exited previous shop and stopped to look where to go next.
 
They entered a med-sized clothing store and the smaller girl immediately pulled Rider further inside.
 
-
 
“So, is there anything you like here?” asked Sakura when Ranma stopped and thoughtfully looked at simple black silk pants and shirt with a silhouette of a Chinese dragon, slightly brighter then clothes themselves, sewn on them.
 
“Yeah. These look okay.”
 
“Oh. Try them on. I'll even help you with dressing up.”
 
“No, I think we should just take them. I know that they'll fit.” blushed Rider and walked to the counter.
 
“How about going for an ice-cream now?” asked Ranma, wanting to distract the other girl before Sakura could think about buying her some underwear as well.
 
-
 
“You call this training? Saber goes too easy on you! It's a wonder you survived so far, onii-chan.” said Ilya as she watched Shiro train with Saber for several minutes and decided to probe the possibility of Shiro breaking his contract with Saber, at least not for long. At first she thought to try and get Saber to fight Rider, but the slim possibility of Sakura going Dark again stopped her.
 
Shiro disengaged and looking at the blonde girl, who tried to deny Ilya's words but couldn't think of any way, said.
 
“Actually, it's only because of Saber I'm still alive.”
 
“What?”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“When my father found me, it was already too late to save me, so he put Avalon in my body. And that's why I said that Saber saved my life many times already.”
 
“You are so predictable, Shiro.” sighed Ilya, then said, dancing out of the training room, in a cheerful and determined voice that caused Shiro to shiver when he remembered that very voice ordering Berserker to tear them apart as easily as she asked to pass the sauce at breakfast.
 
“But don't worry, I'll think of a way to end this War.”
 
“I think we should stop this training session, Shiro. I'm unable to concentrate for now.” said Saber turning around to hide her blush. She put away her training sword and walked out, leaving Shiro to wonder what happened to her.
 
-
 
After several minutes, Shiro shook himself out of his reverie and decided to take a bath to relax after the training.
 
-
 
He walked into the bathroom and, unexpectedly, saw Saber who was about to enter the bathtub and quickly turned before he could see more of her body. The girl said stopped and said in almost even voice.
 
“I know that cleaning yourself is important and I can't disallow you to do it whenever you want, Master. But, may I ask you to wait until I finish?
 
“Of course.” Shiro opened the door to walk out but stopped when he heard Saber quietly say.
 
“My body is not pleasant to look at? Is it too muscled?”
 
“No, that's not it at all! You are… Gah!” Not finding the right words in this situation, Shiro dashed out.
 
-
 
In the living room, Shiro saw Rin sitting at the table and consuming lots of coffee.
 
“Rin what happened?”
 
The girl turned around with a half-empty cup in her hand and said in a sleepy voice.
 
“Only a few hours of sleep, that's what happened. Kotomine called and asked me, you and Saber to visit him in the evening. He said that he knows how to finish the War without killing either of Servants.”
 
“I hope his way doesn't involve Ilya or other people.” said Shiro and went outside.
 
-
 
Soon he returned with a flower he nervously held and sat at the table with Rin.
 
Tosaka looked as if she wanted to ask something, but decided not to when Saber walked in and the boy approached his Servant.
 
“Yes, Shiro?”
 
“Saber, would you… go on a date with me?” asked the boy, giving Saber the flower he held.
 
“Date? What do you mean?” when Shiro didn't answer, she tried to guess.
 
“Is it some kind of formal meeting?”
 
Rin paused her coffee consuming and muttering something akin to I can't watch those two anymore explained.
 
“A date is when a boy asks the girl he likes to walk with him in the city in order to know her better. And a flower is a symbol.”
 
“Shiro.” blushed Saber, taking the flower. “I agree.”
 
-
 
“First I think we should go see a movie.” said Shiro while he and Saber were walking through a nearby park.
 
“A movie?”
 
“Yes, I think I know what you'll like.”
 
-
 
“Did you like it?” asked Shiro while they where walking out of the movie theater.
 
“It was an innovative experience. What supposed to be the next step?”
 
“Ahh, don't take this so seriously Saber. The purpose of a date is to have fun.” answered Shiro.
 
“I guess now we can go to eat somewhere. It's past afternoon already.”
 
They walked to one of the cafes since, with Rider's help, his finances were too low for a restaurant and he didn't have enough time for any part time jobs either.
 
“What do you want Saber?” asked Shiro when a waiter gave them menus.
 
“Anything is fine for me.”
 
“What do you mean, anything is good for you. There must be something you like more then the rest?” asked Shiro,
 
The girl hesitated for a minute before she answered.
 
-
 
“Now where we should go?”
 
“Let's just walk Shiro. The sundown might be a very nice scene.”
 
-
 
“Looks like I found you Saber.” said a young voice, with enough confidence to seem almost arrogant.
 
Turning around and entering a defensive stance while summoning her armor and weapon, Saber cursed that she allowed herself to relax enough not to sense a Servant. Finding the source of the voice she saw a young man with short blond hair in everyday clothes and a smirk that she saw only from those who believed themselves very powerful.
 
“Eight Servants? How is it possible?”
 
Young man ignored Saber's question and said in a slightly off-hand manner.
 
“I've come to take you Saber. I like you, King of Knights, and I always take what I like.”
 
“You are welcome to try. But be warned, I'll not spare you.” said Saber, trying to figure out why the other Servant didn't summon his armor yet and what class he belonged to.
 
“So spirited. Try to keep that spirit a little longer or I won't have any use for you.” answered the man and suddenly the air behind changed its color and it looked as if gates were opened. Multiple distortions appeared on a surface of the gates as if it was water and somebody threw a lot of pebbles into it from behind. But instead of mere rocks, weapon hilts appeared from within.
 
“Now I will take you, Saber.” And with those words, the weapons sticking out of his Noble Phantasm glowed and flew towards the pair in an unending shower.
 
-
 
Fortunately for Saber and her Master, Sakura and her Servant also chose visiting that place as an ending to their day long sister bonding session.
 
“Wait, I feel two Servants.” said Rider, when she suddenly stopped and her combat outfit appeared. “I'll go check and you stay here.”
 
“But Rider, I can fight too.”
 
Rider smiled and answered before jumping away.
 
“I know. But what kind of a protector would I be if I put you in danger?”
 
-
 
A few seconds of flying over the rooftops later, Rider saw her target. Saber and Shiro were bombarded by dozens of swords that flew from a strange wall behind another Servant. Seeing that Saber's defenses soon will be overwhelmed, Rider manifested her weapon and spinning it to create a shield-like wall of chain, dove towards the pair.
 
As soon as her feet touched the ground and her free hand grabbed Shiro, she leaped away, followed by Saber, feeling that in a few seconds the swords would punch their way through her improvised shield.
 
-
 
Landing near Sakura, Rider put Shiro down and asked.
 
“Who was that guy? I thought there should be only seven Servants?”
 
“I don't know. I don't remember anyone wielding so many legendary weapons. It might be wise to visit Rin before attacking him.” said Saber, looking worriedly in the direction they came from.
 
-
 
“How was your date?” asked Rin when both Servants and Masters returned home.
 
“We were attacked by a Servant we never saw before.” answered Shiro producing a surprised look from Rin, which soon turned into a thoughtful one.
 
“So, that's why Kotomine asked us to visit him. To tell us that there was another Servant we can kill to end this War.”
 
“Kotomine?” asked Shiro.
 
“Yes, he asked me, you and Saber to visit him in the evening. I guess we better go to him.”
 
Rider looked at them thinking of asking why she and Sakura weren't invited as well, but shrugged it off as some sort of mage-only meeting and went to help Sakura in sorting out the things they bought today.
 
-
 
When Rin and others arrived to the church, they were greeted by priest who motioned them to follow him underground.
 
Soon they entered a dimly lit room and Kotomine stopped and turned around.
 
“Now I'll tell you why I called you here. “
 
“To tell us about the eighth Servant?” quickly asked Rin.
 
Kotomine smiled a wicked smile and answered.
 
“You are very perceptive, Rin. Archer, come out.”
 
-
 
Suddenly the young man, Shiro and Saber met earlier, walked into the room. But now he was clad in a golden armor that covered his entire body and looked fit for a Saber class Servant, not for Archer.
 
“Don't tell me you plan to kill Saber to finish the War!?”
 
“No, there's no need for that. I don't know why, but Grail is filled and now it only needs a vessel to release the taint within.” answered priest and walked out, leaving them alone with Archer.
 
-
 
“Now where were we the last time we fought, Saber.” said Archer, his Noble Phantasm opening behind him. “Oh, yes. I wanted to take you and I will!”
 
Saber walked in front of the Masters and stepped in a battle stance, asking.
 
“Before we fight I want to know you name, since you already know mine.”
 
“Did those ten years dulled your memory? Don't you remember our fight in the ruins?”
 
Saber slightly paled, prompting Rin to pull out a dagger out of her pocket and start to whisper.
 
“You're Gilgamesh. King of Heroes.”
 
“Yes, Saber. Now, fall on your knees!'
 
But before Archer could let loose dozens of weapons from the air behind him, Rin threw her dagger at the ground between them and Gilgamesh and a powerful explosion threw Archer on the ground while Saber deflected the blast wave with her Invisible Air.
 
“Run!” shouted Tosaka and dashed to the exit, followed by other two. They run out of the church and hurried home, hoping to intercept Kotomine before he could capture Ilya.
 
-
 
But when they arrived home, they saw only Sakura and Rider, who just returned as well.
 
“Where's Ilya?”
 
Rider scratched her head and answered, slightly confused.
 
“That priest came here and said that you met that other Servant and really need our help. And he asked to leave Ilya here with him, so we didn't have to bring her along.”
 
Rin facepalmed, and sighing, she explained.
 
“Kotomine wants to use Ilya as a vessel for Grail, because, for some reason, it's ready to be summoned. And if you don't go and stop him, he will release Angro Mainyu that was captured within Grail.”
 
“You? Tosaka, why don't you come with us?” asked Shiro, worried to hear something like that from Rin?
 
The sorcerer tiredly smiled and answered.
 
“I wish I could, but I'm too tired from casting the spell that got us away from Archer. I won't be of any help to you in a fight. Now go to the RyÅ«dÅji Temple, most likely Kotomine will summon the Grail there because in previous War it was summoned there.”
 
“What about Grail itself? Can it grant your wish if it's tainted?” asked Rider, wondering if using Grail to cure her curse was a good idea.
 
“Grail is tainted by Angro Mainyu trapped inside. Even if it'll grant a wish, it might change it or even release the evil spirit inside. At best it'll destroy most of the city like ten years ago.”
 
`Definitely not a good idea. Oh, well, maybe one of the mages will help me with that.' thought Rider when she imagined a barren wasteland in place of the city. Curiously that image of total destruction triggered a tingling feeling in the back of her head. The feeling that usually appeared when she dreamt of her girl form's past.
 
“You are sure you want to go Sakura?” asked Rider when the girl said that she'll help Sempai who refused to stay at home while Saber fought.
 
“Of course. I'll be able to help now.” answered the plum haired girl and strands of darkness appeared around her, forming a long dress.
 
“Don't worry. I control my shadow self now.” she said, smiling, when people around her jerked in surprise mixed with some fear.
 
-
 
While they leaped to the temple, Ranma gradually remembered how that accursed Athena, jealous of Gorgon sisters beauty that made them famous even among gods, sent some of her followers to steer the feelings people had toward Gorgons from reverence to fear and lust.
 
Taking another jump, she recalled hordes of their followers trying to enter the temple to either kill or rape them and how she fought back, merely stunning them at first.
 
She remembered how they decided to take shelter on an island, that was called Shapeless because of the heavy mist that often appeared around it, but their pursuers found them even there and as she fought them again and again, rage and grief rose within her. Soon all who arrived to the island were killed without mercy but it only made the attacks worse.
 
Finally, she had more than she could stand and facing a small army of men who swore to kill the murdering monster, she took off her blindfold.
 
Rider gasped in shock as she understood the power her eyes had, when before her mind's eye, all those men turned into rock statues.
 
`Oh, man. Neko-ken is a walk in the park compared to the life she had.' she thought and felt that someone was tugging her hand.
 
-
 
“Rider, wake up already. We are here.” said Sakura in impatient voice as she tried to bring her sister out of her thoughts.
 
“Sorry. So, what's the plan?”
 
“I believe that Sakura and Shiro should fight Kotomine. Unlike us, they can resist the taint.” said Saber, looking at the boy who nodded.
 
“All right. Take care Saber.”
 
“You too, Shiro.”
 
-
 
“Saber, I want to ask you to stay the hell away from that Gilgamesh guy, whatever happens.” asked Rider when they separated from their Masters upon entering the temple gate and saw King of Heroes standing in the back. When Saber looked at her slightly puzzled, she pointed at her blindfold.
 
“This thing is always on for a reason, you know.”
 
-
 
“Saber, I was waiting for you. The time is right, too. Grail is completed and the curse is flowing from the inside." said Gilgamesh when he saw two Servants walking towards him.
 
“This time you will be mine, Saber and you snake witch will suffer a torture only I can think of.”
 
“Now show how good you can dodge. If you are lucky, they might only pierce you limbs.” laughed Gilgamesh as his Noble Phantasm appeared behind him and a sharp bladed rain started to pour.
 
-
 
Using the fact that Gilgamesh mainly targeted Saber and using her chain to create a sphere of metal around her, Rider avoided or deflected all of the weapons that flew to her and was about to attack him when she felt something tie itself around her arm and forcefully throw her on the ground. Soon more of chains appeared from the thin air and held her tightly in place.
 
-
 
“Pitiful.” said Gilgamesh looking at laying Saber and Rider who was immobilized by his Enkidu, Chain of Heaven and uselessly struggled against bonds that even gods couldn't break.
 
-
 
“You know what I want Saber? I want to hear your screams as I force you to drink the taint from the grail and bear the same curse that gave me a body, when you splashed me. I want to feel as I crush you below my heel and hear you beg.”
 
“Then… You won't have any objections to undergoing the same fate.” said Saber as she slowly stood up and charged at him.
 
“My, my. How spirited you are, even though you know you can't defeat me.” smirked Gilgamesh and pulled a sword out of the air, before engaging Saber.
 
`Idiot. What am I supposed to do now?' thought Rider as she watched other Servants fight in melee.
 
-
 
At the same time, Sakura and Shiro met with Kotomine who stood under the Grail, a Gate to the Root of Universe as it was called by mages who created it. Darkness was slowly pouring out of it, miraculously not affecting Ilya who was crucified before it.
 
“I see you brought the vessel for Angro Mainyu with you. Do you plan to repeat your father's fate, to live a cursed life?” asked Kotomine, his voice turning into laugh.
 
“Cursed life? My father died because of…”
 
“Yes. I was the one who killed him. And now you'll die as well.”
 
Priest took a handful of tainted ichor and threw it at the boy, shouting.
 
“Now, take all of the evil in the world and disappear!”
 
But before the glob could land on Shiro, a creature made from shadow intercepted it and they fell to the ground, both dissolving into an unmoving puddle.
 
“I will protect you Sempai!” shouted Sakura and tendrils of darkness and more monsters shot from the shadows around her body, blocking everything Kotomine attacked them with.
 
-
 
With a riposte, carefully planned and executed with a lightning speed, Saber sent Gilgamesh's sword flying but he dodged her next swing and smirked.
 
“Looks like you need to be harshly educated about difference in our power levels. I'll do it with Ea.”
 
Gilgamesh took a strange looking weapon from the air. It had sword's hilt but the blade was pillar shaped and covered with rune etchings.
 
He pulled his arm back, looking like a spearman that prepared for a thrust, and three madly spinning blade-like petals of ruby light appeared on the sword's rune covered surface.
 
“Enuma Elish!” with a forward thrust, a wave of ruby destruction shot towards Saber, whose glowing sword finished its descent as well.
 
“Excalibur!”
 
-
 
Two Noble Phantasms clashed and lit the sky with their titanic struggle, but soon Gilgamesh's The Star of Creation that Splits Apart Heaven and Earth overpowered the Holy Sword and sent Saber into the opposite wall.
 
“Now do you understand? I always take what I want.”
 
“I will not lose.” answered Saber, as she stood up and her sword glowed with power again.
 
“Your weapon is useless against me. I thought you were already taught that. Well, then I'll not hold back. Die, eyesore!”
 
-
 
“Enuma”
 
“Ex-“
 
-
 
`Heh, I got you now' thought Rider and called out the name of her famous Noble Phantasm.
 
“Cybele!”
 
Her blindfold disappeared and the power of her Mystic Eyes was let loose on the King of Heroes.
 
-
 
“Eli…”
 
“-calibur!”
 
Gilgamesh's movements slowed to a crawl and before he could finish his attack, Saber's Noble Phantasm cleaved through him.
 
-
 
As his body turned into sparks that were blown away by invisible wind before disappearing, he looked at Saber and said with a smile.
 
“What a detestable girl you are. Resisted me until the very end. But, that exactly what makes you so desired. We will meet again, Saber.”
 
-
 
`I need a weapon. A weapon strong enough to defeat him' thought Shiro as he watched the shadows battle with each other before him and remembered Archer's last words.
 
“Trace: on” Shiro closed his eyes to concentrate and imagined a weapon he knew well, a weapon that almost killed him. A legendary cursed spear, Gae Bolg.
 
`Just make it. There's no difference between creating Rule Breaker and any other weapon.' thought the boy as the spell formed and a weight of a spear appeared in his hand.
 
“Sakura, clear the way for me!” yelled Shiro dashing towards Kotomine with a smoking spear in his hand.
 
“You will die!” yelled Kotomine and the lake of taint, that was behind him, lashed at the boy with multiple strands of cursed essence. But it was too late.
 
“Gae Bolg!” That shout activated the cursed spear and it altered the nearest future, changing the possibility of impaling Kotomine's heart into a fact from the past and movement required to fulfill that future into a mere formality.
 
“Projection magic?” croaked Kotomine in surprise and managed to look at the boy, before he fell.
 
When he disappeared in the lake depths, whatever bonds held Ilya in air before Grail disappeared and the girl fell into Shiro's arms, who traced a blanket to wrap her in.
 
-
 
“Hey, we killed the guy. Now what?” asked a cheery and confident voice that could only belong to Rider.
 
“We must destroy Grail.” said Saber and walking to the cursed artifact she said.
 
“Shiro, you must use your last Command Seal to order me to destroy it. I can't do it otherwise.”
 
`Saber. How I wish that you stayed.'
 
“Please Shiro. I want to hear it from you.”
 
For several seconds, there was a fierce battle taking place in the boy's heart. A battle that could end in favor of ordering her to destroy Grail and never seeing her again, if it wasn't for a memory from the battle between Archer and Berserker.
 
“I will trace Excalibur and destroy Grail myself. You don't have to make another sacrifice and leave if you don't want to.”
 
“Shiro? But…”
 
Saber's question was interrupted when a golden form appeared in Shiro's hands and slowly solidified into Excalibur. But the sword looked unstable, barely visible ripples ran along its length and distorted the image.
 
“Shiro! Even if you have Avalon inside of your body, the strain might be too big! Stop this recklessness!” shouted Saber, scared that the boy might die right before her eyes.
 
“Excalibur!” screamed the redheaded boy and threw the sword at Grail. A split second before it made contact with cursed artifact, the Holy Sword lost its shape and exploded with a blinding flash and with such force that the ground below Servants and Masters cracked.
 
-
 
When the light subsided, Saber saw that Grail was no more and Shiro lay on the ground, unmoving.
 
“Shiro! How dared you to risk dying in my hands!?” cried Saber when she cradled the boy and, to her greatest relief, found out that he was only unconscious.
 
“It's all right Saber. Everything will be fine” said Sakura and hugged the Servant until Saber got her feelings under enough control to leave the wrecked temple and go home with the boy in her hands.
 
-
-
To be continued in a sequel.