Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ I'm the Mother and the Father? ❯ Let's Get Married Today! ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I'm the Father and the Mother?
A Ranma Fanfic by Michael A. Ivins
 
Ranma and friends are owned by Rumiko Takahashi along with her publishers and Viz Video. I make no money off this so please don't sue me.
 
Recap of Chapter 14
Ranma and Nabiki told Akane and Kasumi they had figured out what was going on between the sisters and advised of the dangers of continuing. At school Kuno heard the news and vowed that he would punish Ranma's “evil sibling” for the crime against her virtue. Back home she was helping Kasumi in the kitchen.
 
 
Chapter 15
Let's Get Married Today!
 
Just then the doorbell ran and Kusumi asked, “Ranma, would you go see who that is?”
 
When she opened the door there was woman standing there. She was only slightly taller than Ranma with brown hair that was streaked with gray. The woman wore glasses and smartly tailored clothes that looked a bit rumpled. She also looked familiar.
 
The woman took note of the red hair on the girl in front of her and said, “Miss Saotome?”
 
Ranma looked confused. “I'm sorry, do I know you?”
 
The stranger bowed slightly. We met only briefly. You were a patient at my clinic last week.”
 
Comprehension dawned and Ranma took on a worried look. Dr… Hinagami wasn't it?”
 
“That's right. It was my team that took the sample for the DNA test.”
 
“What… brings you to this part of town?”
 
“You needn't look so worried. I'm on your side.”
 
Ranma continued to look worried. Politely she asked, “Won't you come in?”
 
The doctor bowed again and entered, leaving her shoes and putting on slippers that were provided for that purpose.
 
Nodoka was in the living room and introduced herself.
 
The doctor bowed again. “Ah, yes, Ranma's mother. I am Dr. Hinagami Michiko. Your… daughter was a patient at my clinic last week.”
 
Ranma put in, “She was the doctor who took the sample they did the DNA test on.”
 
Dr. Hinagami raised an eyebrow. “Your mother knows of your child's… parentage?”
 
Nodoka said, “Ranma shared that with the rest of the family last week. She gave us all of the details. I think the more important question here would be how much you know of the situation.”
 
At Nodoka's invitation the doctor sat down and they got comfortable. The offer of tea was politely declined. “Miss Saotome, may I call you Ranma?”
 
At Ranma's nod, she continued, “Ranma, I'm afraid I owe you an apology.”
 
“Huh? Why should you apologize to me? What did you do?”
 
“There were things about your case that bothered me. I promised that I would let Dr. Tofu and you deal with the issues that were raised by the results of the DNA test, but my curiosity was aroused. I intruded on your privacy by having a friend who is good with computers look into your background.”
 
“Good with computers?”
 
“The popular term for what she does is `hacker.' If information on a person is in a computer, she will find it.”
 
Nodoka was looking a little worried herself. “What did your friend find out about my s… daughter?”
 
The doctor noticed the slip. “The information she found was confusing. It seemed to say that there were two Saotome Ranmas, one a boy and the other this girl here. Some of the things she found suggested they were twin brother and sister while others seemed to say they were one person through the agency of some kind of magic.”
 
Nodoka said, “Surely a woman of medicine such as you doesn't believe in magic.”
 
“I didn't. My friend was getting frustrated. The information she was gathering all seemed to point to an impossible or at least unbelievable conclusion. She had on occasion done work for the Nerima Police so she called her contact there to ask if he knew anything about Ranma.”
 
Dr. Hinagami could see fear again in Ranma's eyes. “You must understand something here. I had suspected something bad had happened to Ranma. I suspected rape or some longer term sexual abuse that resulted in her pregnancy. I was concerned for her.”
 
“Ranma, the policeman had heard of you. He seemed amused at the thought that someone might have raped you.”
 
Ranma gave a snort. “Any guy who tried it would get his butt handed to him.”
 
Dr. Hinagami smiled. “I've heard that you are a skilled martial artist. `One of the strongest' I believe is how Lt. Morisato put it. He was also very amused when my friend asked about your brother. Acting very mysterious, Lt. Morisato told my friend to research a place called Jusenkyo.”
 
There was a gasp from Ranma. “I see you've heard of it. My friend took the advice. What she found seemed just as unbelievable as what she had learned about Ranma. Her search led to her to a Jusenkyo Products Company and that led her to a Chinese herbalist shop. She purchased two packets of something called Instant Nannichuan.”
 
Ranma's eyes got big. The doctor continued, “Not to draw this out too long, my friend tried one of the packets and transformed herself into a man. She then came to my apartment and demonstrated this for me. With proof that magic is real, things that seemed impossible suddenly made sense.”
 
Her next words were spoken in a gentle, sympathetic tone. “You don't have a brother, do you Ranma?”
 
“No, it's just me.”
 
“If I understand correctly you are a boy who changes into a girl and back again. Is that right?”
 
Ranma just nodded.
 
“Your current condition prevents you from changing back to a boy?”
 
“Ranma nodded. “The curse protects the baby. If I changed now it could kill the baby. I can't go back to being a part time guy until 7 weeks after my baby is born.”
 
“'Part-time guy?' That is an interesting way to phrase it.”
 
Ranma shrugged. “I'll be a part-time girl too. I used to think I turned into a fake or some kind of imitation girl. Getting pregnant made me realize that's not true. When I'm in this form I'm just as much a real girl as someone born that way. I still think like a boy in either form.”
 
“So you've come to accept your curse?”
 
“Fighting it was making me crazy. I still want a cure, but it can wait at least until after Ranko is born.”
 
“You've chosen a name for your child?”
 
“Yes. I like the name Ranko. I think I'm looking forward to meeting her.”
 
“'Her?' You read in the DNA test results that your child is a girl?”
 
“It's in the DNA test results?”
 
“You didn't know that? Then how did you find out the child is a girl?”
 
“An old lady I know who is good with chi and stuff read her chi signature and told me. I found later I could do the same thing as was able to read it for myself.”
 
The doctor seemed surprised. “You are a remarkable young… person.”
 
“Look doc, if you want to say `woman,' go ahead. I've learned not to let it bother me.”
 
“I'm sorry, but you are the first pregnant boy I've ever seen. I'm still trying to find the best words to use when talking about it.”
 
Ranma got a slightly pained expression at the “pregnant boy” reference. She decided not protest the classification.
 
Dr. Hinagami continued, “I spoke to Dr. Tofu. You see, I figured out that your male form had to be the father of your baby. Even with magic I was having hard time imagining how something like that could be accomplished. Dr. Tofu explained it. I won't embarrass you by asking you to give me the details.”
 
She thought for a moment. “Dr Tofu may have told you that I am something of an advocate for the rights and safety of sexually abused young women, most especially in cases of incest. In an odd way you are an incest victim even if no family member ever touched you in a sexual way. It may have been an accident, and there may have been magic involved, but the end result is the same.”
 
She moved over to take Ranma's hand. “There are problems you may face as an unwed mother. That can be compounded by the fact that you can't give the name of the father. I can put you in touch with people who can help you through those problems.”
 
Ranma took on a thoughtful expression. “I've had an idea knocking around my head for a few days, but I don't know if it's even possible. I didn't want to tell anyone about it until I had a chance to run it by Nabiki.”
 
“Isn't she one of the Tendo daughters?”
 
“Yes. She's my fiancé. We were thinking about getting married after my curse unlocks. We don't have any firm plans yet. It was only last week that we got engaged.”
 
The doctor took a moment to digest that. It seemed decidedly odd to hear this very female looking person talking about getting married to a “she.” “What was your idea?”
 
“Legally I'm a guy and girl Ranma doesn't exist. Once I can turn into a guy again and Nabiki and I get married maybe we could adopt Ranko. I was hoping that would satisfy all the legal problems.”
 
Dr. Hinagami considered this. “That idea has merit. For it to work, I think there would need to be a legal identity for your female self. You would have to sign documents giving permission for your male self to adopt your child. It might be possible to create a fictitious identity that would work. I know a lawyer whose discretion can be depended on.”
 
Ranma looked a bit distressed, “I don't know if we can pay a lawyer. We recently got a loan to help cover the cost of raising Ranko and to pay our way through school, but it's pretty tightly budgeted.”
 
“Don't worry about that. I have access to funds from a foundation for abused and exploited children. The lawyer I mentioned donates his services to deserving individuals. I think he will find your case intriguing.”
 
She fell silent for a time. “An adoption would have much greater chance of success if you were already on record as being married at the time the adoption papers are filed. In fact it would be better if you were to file the adoption papers before the child is born. If you wait to be married until after the baby is born it might be difficult to get it approved.”
 
“If you were to get married now or at least in the next few weeks you could claim that you and your wife had been trying to get pregnant and failed. That is a common reason why couples chose to adopt.”
 
“I have heard of couples who knew of an unwed pregnant girl with whom they made arrangements to adopt her baby after it's born. If it is handled right you could make it look like that is what is happening here.”
 
Ranma gripped the doctor's hand. “When Dr. Tofu told me about you I said you sounded like you were kind of nice to the girls who come to you. You sounded kind of scary for the boys, but I can understand why. I'm glad you are treating me like one of the girls. You really are nice.”
 
The doctor smiled. “Even if you were born a boy, right now you are a girl who needs my help. How can I turn away?”
 
“Thank you, doctor.”
 
“I think you had better talk to that fiancé of yours. She has a decision to make. I will need to make some phone calls.” The doctor stood and bowed to Ranma and Nodoka. Ranma and Nodoka bowed in return.
 
Ranma turned and went up the stairs. She knocked on Nabiki's door and called out, “Nabs, it's me.”
 
“Come in,” sounded from inside.
 
Ranma went in. “Nabs, I've got something I need to talk to you about.”
 
Noting the serious tone of her fiancé, Nabiki asked, “What's up? Are my sisters getting into trouble?”
 
“This isn't about them. You know I told you about that doctor at the clinic where they took the sample for the DNA test?”
 
“The one who wanted to call the cops because she thought you were raped? What about her?”
 
“She came for a visit tonight.”
 
“She came here?”
 
“It seems she got a demonstration of Instant Nannichuan and now she believes in Jusenkyo curses. She knows my male side is the father of my baby and she wants to help me.”
 
Ranma outlined the recent conversation with the doctor.
 
“You want to get married right away? How are we going to manage that?”
 
“I don't know. Maybe I could dress up as a boy or something.”
 
“Uh, Ranma, no insult to your masculinity or anything, but that's never going to work. Even when you were wearing boy's clothes there were boys drooling over your girl body. You could dress in a sack and still look like a girl.”
 
“The first day I got here your dad didn't know I was a girl until he hugged me.”
 
“Hmph! Daddy can be an idiot sometimes. Plus he was so excited about you coming here that he didn't recognize the truth until it poked him in the chest.”
 
Not able to resist a little teasing, Ranma said, “I seem to remember you saying, `Oh, he is cute.'”
 
Nabiki blushed.
 
“There's gotta be a way. Can't someone get officially married without a ceremony?”
 
“Hmmm. I've heard that two people can get married by just filling out the right forms and getting them registered at the right city office. I have some contacts in city government. I'll have to check into it.”
 
In a timid sounding voice Ranma asked, “So you are willing to get married right away?”
 
“Baka! Of course! I said I'd marry you. I told your mom I'd treat Ranko like she's my own child. The timing kind of sucks but the lady doctor is right. If we do this right Ranko would be ours. We could raise her as husband and wife.”
 
Ranma's eyes suddenly went wide. Nabiki asked, “What is it?”
 
“Just a weird thought. How do we tell Ranko that her mommy is officially her daddy?”
Nabiki rolled her eyes. “Could we save that question for later, like after she learns to talk?”
 
“Yeah, sorry.”
 
“It ought to make our parents happy.”
 
In an imitation of Nabiki's father, “The schools are finally joined!”
 
“Hmm,” mused Nabiki. “I'm not sure about that part. Akane is the martial artist of us sisters. She's the offical heir to the Tendo Anything Goes Martial Arts School. I don't know if you marrying me counts as joining the schools. It should satisfy the honor agreement between our families. I'll let our parents worry about that.”
 
Nabiki stood for a moment looking at Ranma. Suddenly she crushed the smaller girl in a hug and kissed her firmly. When she finally came up for air she said, “I'm getting excited about this.”
 
Ranma was feeling a little dazed by the intensity of the kiss. She just answered, “Huh?”
 
“If we're officially married we don't have to sneak around. You could move your stuff in here and sleep with me every night. We could bathe together and nobody would say anything because we're married. We wouldn't have to hide the fact that we're having sex. If anyone was to hear us it wouldn't matter because we're married.”
 
Ranma grinned. “I'm liking this more and more.”
 
Nabiki agreed, “I like it a lot.”
 
Ranma sobered. “I think we should wait until after we're married before we tell Shampoo and Ukyo.”
 
Nabiki nodded. “Good idea. I don't think we could afford the repair bill for a repeat of the last wedding attempt.”
 
Ranma shook her head. “The really sad thing about it, they thought they were saving me from Akane. Though, now that I think about it, maybe they were at least partly right about that.” She pantomimed swinging a large mallet.
 
Nabiki looked intrigued. “Maybe they did save you. Remember your own prediction of how a marriage between you and Akane would have ended.”
 
Ranma shuddered in a mock comical fashion. “I'm not thanking them for saving me. They might take it the wrong way.”
 
Nabiki gave a snort. “Knowing them, that's a sure bet.”
 
“Uh, Nabs?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Is there any chance you could get hold of a copy of the Amazon laws Shampoo and the Old Ghoul keep beating me over the head with?”
 
“What do you have in mind?”
 
“Maybe you could find a loophole in that whole `if an outsider male defeats an Amazon warrior she must marry him' law. I'm just afraid they're going to say that our marriage isn't valid because my `marriage' to Shampoo happened first. I'd like to have some good arguments to use against them.”
 
“Hmm. Now that you mention it I may have some ideas on that. I'll see what I can come up with on a copy of those laws. Sometimes it's amazing the things you can find on the internet. That's where I'll look first.”
 
At that moment there was a knock on the door and Akane's voice came, informing them that dinner was ready.
 
That night Ranma was in her own room lying on her futon. Nabiki had said she had work she needed to do and would be staying up late. Ranma wondered if she was getting spoiled. Nabiki's bed was so much more comfortable to sleep in and it was nice to sleep snuggled up to her fiancé. Hmm, wonder what that would be like as a guy.
 
The sound of giggling could be heard from the direction of Kasumi's room. Apparently the sisters had decided to go on with their affair in spite of advice against it. Oh, well, thought Ranma. If they won't listen to reason, there's no point getting upset over it any more.
 
What's with all the sex going on in this house lately anyway? She was pretty sure there hadn't been any of that going on before. Now all the younger residents of the Tendo home were engaged in affairs. Was there something in the water? Another thought occurred to her and Ranma decided that if her mom and dad were having sex, she'd be happier not knowing about it.
 
She drifted off to sleep with the accompaniment of the happy sounds from Kasumi's room. Maybe when she and Nabiki had their own home it would be good to invest in soundproofing on the bedrooms.
 
At breakfast the next morning Akane was wearing a defiant, almost challenging expression. Ranma reflected that this was daring her to say something about what Akane had been doing in Kasumi's room last night. Well, if Akane was looking for a fight on the subject, she would be disappointed.
 
On the other hand, Nabiki looked tired, but excited. She looked like she wanted to say something but was inhibited by the presence of the parents. Ranma would find out later. As usual the parents seemed to completely miss the undercurrents going on at the table.
 
As usual Nabiki went on ahead and Akane walked with Ranma. Most of the walk was made in silence. Several times Akane opened her mouth as if to say something but stopped as if unsure what words to use. It was only after several tries that she finally asked, “Aren't you going to say anything?”
 
“About what you and Kasumi were doing last night? What's to say? Nabiki and I both gave you our advice. The two of you made your choice. I'm guessing that at this point you're going on with it no matter what Nabiki or I might say.”
 
Akane had an almost pleading tone as if begging Ranma to understand. “But we are following your advice. She makes me happy like you said. We are being careful.”
 
Ranma thought, “I knew at the time I said that I might regret it.” Out loud she said, “If you're looking for approval, I can't give it. I think it's a bad idea. If you're determined to go ahead with it, then I will say I hope you are as happy as you believe you are. I just hope you're ready if things don't turn out as wonderful as you dream them to be.”
 
Ranma once more dodged the water flung by the ladle lady and stuck her tongue out at her. The elderly woman just gave her usual innocent smile. To herself the old woman was thinking, “So that's how it is. I'll get you next week, girl.”
 
When Ranma noticed that Kuno was not standing next to his usual tree in the schoolyard, she began to hope for a quiet morning. She was disappointed in that hope.
 
“So, you red haired hussy. My brother says that my darling Ranma-sama has run away because of you. He said you carry my darling's child and he has fled in shame.”
 
Ranma turned to see the gymnast dressed in a green leotard with a black rose embroidered on it. Kodachi was twirling her ribbon, ready to go on the attack.
 
“Kodachi, it wasn't like that.”
 
“Silence, wretch! For seducing my darling away from me, for making him run away, you shall feel my wrath.” She stepped forward, her ribbon cracking like a whip in the space Ranma had been occupying.
 
Ranma protested, “I didn't seduce anyone.” She couldn't say anything more as she had to dodge a club that Kodachi had flung. Then a ball flew at her and with a lightning fast hand she batted it high in the air where it exploded. This was bad. If she kept just defending, Kodachi would eventually break through and hurt her and maybe the baby as well.
 
Both combatants were so focused on their battle that they didn't notice the approach of what looked like a twelve year old little girl in a loose-fitting yellow dress. Ranma did hear the words, “Happo twenty yen satsu.”
 
Kodachi froze and then seemed to shrivel in on herself. She finally lay on the ground looking flat as a piece of paper.
 
Ranma turned to see a now fully adult Miss Hinako dropping a coin into the pocket of a very tight yellow dress. The well endowed teacher said, “This delinquent doesn't even go to Furinkan. And to attack a pregnant girl, she has no shame.”
 
The red haired girl was even more surprised when Miss Hinako stepped up to her and asked, “Are you all right, Ranma? She didn't hurt you did she?”
 
“I'm OK. I'm not supposed to fight now, but I can dodge pretty good.”
 
Miss Hinako nodded. “You may not be in any classes with me this term but news of your condition is all over the school. You be sure to take good care of yourself and that little one.”
 
As the teacher walked away, Akane observed, “That was… different.”
 
“Yeah,” agreed Ranma. They went inside.
 
It would have taken keen hearing to detect the words that came from the shriveled form of Kuno Kodachi. “You haven't heard the last of me, hussy!”
 
Ranma was pleased to note that the novelty of her situation seemed to have worn off for the students of Furinkan. A few still asked her about it but most were focused on some other scandal. There was a rumor going around about one of the male teachers and a second year student girl. It probably wasn't true, but when had that ever stood in the way of some really juicy gossip?
 
At lunch Ranma was sitting under a tree by herself. She looked around to see if anyone was looking at her then produced her lunch bento from her subspace pocket. Hmm, since I keep stuff in it, maybe I should call it stuffspace. During her free moments she had practiced the technique as Mousse had advised and had managed to expand the pocket's capacity a little from what she had started with.
 
Ranma had just started unwrapping her lunch when Nabiki appeared and grabbed her arm. “Come on, you can eat that on the way.” She had a garment bag over her arm.
 
“On the way? On the way where?”
 
“Downtown. We've got some papers to file. You know, I think I like that Dr. Hinagami. When she gets going on something there's no slowing her down. You and I are both going to be out of school for the rest of the day on a doctor's note from her.”
 
Ranma couldn't keep the excitement out of her voice as she asked, “Are we going downtown for the reason I think we are?”
 
“Yes! My contact in the city government is setting it up. We won't even have to stand in line like most people. Within a couple hours we'll be legally married, or at least boy Ranma and I will be.”
 
“What'r the clothes for?”
 
“We'll need to find a restroom and change. It would look a little suspicious for girls in school uniforms to be signing a marriage license. The thing is that the signatures have to be witnessed. In our favor on this is that the signatures don't have to be written at the same time and it doesn't have to be the same person to witness both.”
 
Ranma smiled. “I get it. I sign as me for one witness, then you take it to another office and sign as yourself for a different witness.” A little apprehensive, “What happens if the two witnesses get talking about it later?”
 
“That won't be a problem, because my contact will be one of the witnesses. It's normally out of his department, but he does do that kind of stuff sometimes.”
 
Ranma was surprised to find a taxi waiting for them at the school gate. She had been expecting to take a bus or train. If she was willing to cover the cost of a taxi, Nabiki was really serious about this.
 
As they got going Ranma got her bento out of her stuffspace pocket. The cab driver didn't see her do this, but he did look in the rearview mirror and noticed when the red haired girl started unrapping the boxed lunch. He told the girls, “If you get any of that on the seat, it's gonna cost you extra.”
 
Ranma rolled her eyes and said, “I'll be careful.”
 
Ranma wondered when Nabiki had eaten. She finished her lunch well before the taxi reached it's destination. When they were getting out the driver looked into the back seat and puzzled over where the girl had gotten rid of the box her lunch had been in. She hadn't been holding it when she got out and it she hadn't left it in the back seat. He pushed the thought out of his mind as a new fare got in.
 
The two girls went into the ladies room on the ground floor and changed. The outfit Nabiki had brought for Ranma was a dark green dress that nicely set off her red hair. Nabiki had opted for slacks and a blouse.
 
When they got to the third floor Nabiki handed a piece of paper to Ranma and pointed her to a door. Nabiki sat on a bench in the hall. “There will be someone waiting for you.”
 
The room was large and there was a counter where four lines of people were waiting. As she watched, a woman came up to the inside of the counter and spoke to the first person in that line. Ranma decided the city employees were probably just coming back from lunch. A middle aged woman with black hair noticed Ranma and walked up to her. “Are you Saotome Ranma?”
 
She looked up at the large clock on the wall and commented, “Right on time. I was told to expect you. Follow me.”
 
Ranma followed the woman to a cramped cubicle and sat on a chair that just barely fit between the end of the desk and the cubicle wall. She handed the woman the paper that Nabiki had given her. The woman then turned the paper that was printed with a fancy border and pointed. “Please sign on this line and date it here,” she said in a bored tone of voice.
 
Ranma did as instructed and the woman took back the paper and signed in another provided space. She also placed a mark on the sheet with a rubber stamp. The city official said, still sounding bored, “Congratulations on your marriage, Miss Saotome. Once we get your husband's signature and the official seal is affixed, you will be legally married.”
 
The woman paused a moment. “No formal ceremony is needed, but some people don't feel really `married' without one. You might want to have a ceremony later. That way you can take pictures to show your children when you get older.”
 
Ranma smiled. “Thanks for the advice. That's a nice idea.”
 
The city worker allowed herself a smile in return. “Follow this aisle to the end and take a right. That will get you back to the lobby where I met you.” As the redhead left the city worker thought, “She seems like a nice girl, pretty too. Hope she's getting a man who will treat her right.” She turned back to other work.
 
Ranma met Nabiki in the hall and handed her the sheet of paper. Nabiki looked at it carefully. “She didn't notice that you signed in the space for the husband?”
 
Ranma shrugged. “If she noticed she didn't say anything. She suggested that we have a formal ceremony later, so we could take pictures to show the kids when we get old. I thought it was a nice idea.”
 
Nabiki smiled, “Oh, I'm planning on a ceremony after your curse unlocks. I was thinking a Western ceremony would be good. As I recall your male form looks really good in a tuxedo.”
 
Ranma blushed. “You looked good in a bridesmaid dress. I bet you'll look really pretty in a wedding gown.”
 
Nabiki laughed. “I've heard there's an unwritten rule that says `all brides are beautiful.' Uh, Ranma, could I ask you a favor?”
 
“What kind of favor?”
 
“When I'm picking out a gown to wear, would you try on a few? I'd like to get some pictures of what you'd look like dressed as the bride.”
 
“I guess it wouldn't hurt if it's just trying them on. But why?”
 
“This is going to sound silly.”
 
Intrigued, Ranma requested, “Tell me.”
 
“Right now, with us getting married and you being the pregnant spouse, I feel kind of like I'm the husband and you're the wife. I know we can't do it for real, but I have this mental image of a ceremony with me in the tux and you in the pretty gown.”
 
Seeing the expression on her fiance's (soon to be wife's) face Ranma asked, “This means a lot to you, doesn't it?”
 
Nabiki looked down with an embarrassed expression on her face. “Yes,” she said so low as to be almost inaudible.
 
Ranma considered for a while. Finally she said, “OK, we can do that.”
 
Nabiki looked up. “What?”
 
“It would be just for show. Unless you want to we wouldn't do vows or anything. Just dress up like you were saying and get our parents and your sisters to dress up too. You could rent a tuxedo for your male form. We could get one of your friends to dress up as a minister. You could get somebody to shoot tons of pictures or maybe even a video.”
 
Nabiki looked stunned. “You'd be willing to do that… for me?”
 
Ranma nodded. “As long as it's understood that the real formal ceremony will be after my curse unlocks. For that one I'll be the guy in the tux and you'll be in the gown and it can be as big as you want it (or as big as we can afford.) We'd have the reception after with the cake and everything.”
 
“For the one with me as the bride I think we could just have it be a kind of `mock wedding' party with just family and maybe a few friends.” She placed a hand on her abdomen and said, “We'd have to do it before I start to show so we couldn't wait too long. What do you think?”
 
Impulsively Nabiki enveloped Ranma in a hug. “What do I think? I think I love you.” After a moment she pulled back and held Ranma's chin in her hand. “You keep surprising me. Don't stop.” She planted a kiss on the tip of Ranma's nose.
 
Nabiki stood up and said, “Well, got to take care of the other half of this. Wait for me here.” She took the marriage license and headed off down the hall.
 
Ranma idly rubbed the tip of her nose and chuckled softly. She congratulated herself on learning to look past the frozen surface of the Ice Queen. Life with that woman was likely to be interesting but it should be lots of fun too.
 
Fifteen minutes later Nabiki came back positively beaming. She handed the marriage license to Ranma who looked it over. There was Nabiki's signature with the date and the signature of the witness along with the official stamp. In the corner of the form was the official seal pressed into the back of the paper to make raised letters on the front and gold leaf applied in a saw toothed circle. Ranma gently ran her finger over the seal to feel the raised letters.
 
Ranma said in a tone of wonder, “So does this mean…”
 
Nabiki nodded. “It's been recorded and it's completely legal. I'm Saotome Nabiki now.”
 
Ranma hugged her wife (husband?) After a moment Nabiki moved back and slid the license and some other papers into an envelope she had brought. “We should get out of here. People are starting to look at us funny.”
 
Ranma looked up and sure enough there were people passing by in the hall that were giving the couple curious looks. Guess they're not used to seeing two girls hugging like that.
 
 
Author's Note: I've already read fanfics where people in Tokyo could get married just by filing the right papers. One of them even had Ranma getting married to Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo by accident because they stood in the wrong line. I just tweaked the concept a little to allow the characters here to do the same thing.
 
Coming up - Ranma and Nabiki talk to a lawyer about what's needed for them to adopt Ranko. From Kitsune Nabiki gets hold of a copy of the book of Amazon laws and studies it to find a loophole in the Outsider Laws that Shampoo used to “marry” Ranma.