Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Memoirs of being in the Saddle ❯ The offer ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

-=-=-=-

We were back at the kitchen table, doors closed, windows shut, heavy curtains blocking all the light, and the AC was going full tilt. 

 

We needed privacy, and, I really needed not to be sweating. This was risky.

 

Two drinks in front of us, bourbon again, as Ranma was quickly finding it to be enjoyable when there was time for it. 

 

Ranma was fully dressed again, but hadn't buttoned up the Chinese shirt. The tanktop peeked out slightly, like the slightly drawn blade of a Kenjutsu master.

 

"All right, let's get something straight," I stated seriously. "I still think this is a bad idea. But," I held up a finger at the slightly scowling Ranma. "You are right. There's nothing wrong with what we like, that's how we are and who we are."

 

That soothed the scowl, but she was still watching expectantly. Waiting for me to accept her proposal.

 

"But honestly, I don't think you're ready for me 'Watching' you." Once again my hand had to leave the table. "Now hold up, let me explain in detail. I don't think you understand the definitions of 'Seeing' and 'Watching'. It's not a martial artist thing, it's from my field. My expertise." 

 

She nodded and I sipped at my glass, enjoying the sweet burn.

 

"In it's simplest terms, what you did today was 'Seeing'. It's live, there are no filters, it's simple, and requires the least preparation and work. If I blink and miss something, too bad. In comparison 'Watching' is the catch all term for a variety of managed activites, but no matter the form there's always a gap between the producer," I pointed my finger at Ranma, "And the consumer." my thumb pointed at myself. 

 

She nodded, though it was clear she didn't understand.

 

"Properly done, 'Watching' is safe for both sides, but that safety comes at a cost, since it's not an easy thing to produce without a serious undertaking."

 

"For example, there are photos of you Ranma, in various states of undress, thanks to Nabiki in circulation at the school." That certainly brought the scowl back. "It's pretty common knowledge now that she does it, thanks to how Nerima's rumors go around. A parent finds one here and there, demands some answers, and well, you know how it is." The scowl deepened. 

 

Another nail in the Tendo coffin, free of charge.

 

"It's considered safe, because right now, that gap that Nabiki created by taking that photo separates you from whomever has it. Unless that person loudly admits to having it or waves it about, that gap between you and them remains. No one is harmed by the fact that someone has your photograph." 

 

"I ain't liking it." She snapped, and took a sip of her bourbon.

 

"That's because how Nabiki is doing is wrong." I replied bluntly. "There has to be consent, intent, agreement. If you were amendable to doing it, and you got something out of it, well paid at the very least, well..."

The scowl was trying to buy property and set up shop on her face, so I moved the topic away from her. "Look, pretty girls are watched on TV, they pose in magazines, they sing in concerts, and that's Watching done right. The girl gets fame, she is admired, she is desired, she is popular, and she is usually well paid."

 

And so it was with porn, in a way, but I wasn't going to link the idea to that.

 

"We can watch a movie, read a magazine, go to a concert, and both sides are safe, because of the gap, understand?" She nodded.

 

"But, since you've been treated poorly by Nabiki, I won't suggest we go there for some time. Instead of me 'Watching' you, it'll be 'Seeing' instead."

 

"Go on." she didn't seem worried, which was a good sign.

 

"As I said 'Seeing' is easier to do, you beat me with it just now." She smirked slightly. "But it can be dangerous."

 

Even as she started to ask how I clipped her hand that was holding the drink, hard. It should have sent the glass flying into the floor, instead all it did was jostled her hand enough that a bit spilled onto the table.

 

"Accidents." I said bluntly, ignoring the sting of my knuckles and looking down at our hands and the tiny spill. "With Watching, there isn't any, and that's because of editing." I got up and marched over to the sink to grab a drying cloth. 

 

"In a magazine," I said as I tossed the cloth to Ranma. "A girl shows too much skin, or something slips off, it doesn't appear in the magazine. Editors ensure it."

 

"Show me a movie," I said while sitting back down at the table. "Where the lead actor slips and falls and it's not on purpose? The people making the product work very hard, on many different levels, to make absolutely sure that no mistakes are present in the final cut, the one that we watch."

 

And no fractured asses either.

 

"'Seeing' too much of someone can upset or hurt them, and that's what I'm worried about. You may never once make a mistake doing this, but I might." 

 

Always cover your ass, and if you do it humbly, it's even better. "There are no guaranteed boundaries, only what two people agree on." I gestured to her still ever so slightly open shirt. "And neither side is absolutely sure what the limits are or what is safe."

 

Ranma looked abashed. Then she quickly buttoned up her shirt.

 

I nodded, pleased. "Good, you're beginning to understand a bit."

 

"And so, to make this idea of yours, which I still think is terrible, remotely doable," I rolled my eyes to soften my words, "I'm going to make it even safer, even as I agree to do it."

 

I pulled the small box I had in my pocket since I got in the house and placed it on the table. 

 

Well away from Ranma.

 

-=-=-=-

 

Ranma stared at the box and then looked up at me. 

 

"It was painfully obvious what your plan was the moment you walked in here in that Furinkan Uniform." I smirked briefly, then let it settle into a frown. "That's why I never expected to lose."

 

Ranma didn't know what to make of my expression. 

 

"And then I made a mistake, and just like that you won." Now she understood a bit more.

 

My hand rested on the box. "Remember what I said to you Ranma, a long time ago? 'What separates a real man from the rest is how you prepare for the next one'." 

 

She nodded surprised. "So even as you thought you would easily win..."

 

"... I made preparations just in case, yes." I finished for her. "And it's in here."

 

I pushed it forward. 

 

Ranma took the box and opened it. Looked inside.

 

"The solution is, I'm not going to be 'Seeing' Ranma". She withdrew the plain red velvet choker I had placed inside, and held it in her hand. "Who I'm going to be 'Seeing' is someone else."

 

She shivered slightly, feeling the sensation of my trap springing but not recognizing it for what it was. "What do you mean?" Her voice was quiet.

 

"I will not risk my friendship with you Ranma, so if you put that on, you won't be Ranma, you'll just be," I paused slightly. "Girl."

 

"Girl?" She said the word. 

Breathed the word.

 

"Yes, Girl." I reached for my drink and took a fair swallow. "And the second you aren't comfortable, the second a mistake happens, or I cross a boundary that you don't want crossed, that comes off, and you're Ranma. I won't look at you, I'll leave the room, and, we'll stop."

 

"You'd do that?" She thought it was power I was giving her. "For me?"

 

"Yes. And... "I paused deliberately, "Hopefully you won't have to break every bone in my hands up to my elbows." My voice was both sarcastic and cheerful. "Every. Single. One.”

 

It wasn't power, it was a bridle.

A saddle.

A saddle on the back of a Wild Horse.

 

"I give you my word." I said to her.

 

-=-=-=-

 

Every day I'd spent listening to tapes, learning everything I could from every angle I found. All for this. 

 

I knew exactly what buttons I was pressing. Debt, obligation, respect, pride, challenge, victory, the magic in the curse, and those moments in front of the mirror that Ranma both hated and craved. The brief moments when Ranma wasn't in the mirror.

 

I used everything I had.

And I knew how exactly hard to press them. 

 

-=-=-=-

 

"Deal."