Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Nezumi ❯ Birthing Plague ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer:
Domo Arigato Takahashi-sama for your wonderous work in Ranma 1/2. I would never presume to claim your work for mine own, I simply borrow from your genius to entertain those who would read my work. Please send not your Legions of Rabid Attack Lawyers for I am a simple person and broke to boot.

I have made several adjustments and hopefully cleaned up my style a bit - I would appreciate C&C


Prolouge: Birthing Plague

Ranma ran. His clawed feet propelled him through the bushes at a pace most would consider reckless under circumstances less dire, his smooth black fur protecting his flesh from the tearing brambles that surrounded him. Behind him, to close for comfort, he could hear the hunters, baying in rage as he eluded their pursuit. 'Damn them! Damn them all!' His salvation was suddenly before him then, in the form of a tunnel barely large enough for him to squeeze into in his present form, one that _they_ would stand no chance whatsoever of entering. Diving into the bolthole he began to dig, desperately trying to widen the gap before his pursuers were upon him. Less than half a bodylength inside his hopes were smashed, destroyed as he would soon be, the tunnel dead ended into stone.

Pulling himself out, he could make out the hunters forms as they crashed through the bushes, almost upon him. This was it then, this was where he would make his stand, this was where he would sell his life, and perhaps avenge the lives of his warren brothers by taking as many of the damned wolves with him as possible. Standing on his hind legs, he could feel his body shift to match his will, drawing his blade he faced his end.

The wolves, while faster than any mere man, were no match for his raw speed. Before the knew he was there, he was among them, darting between the legs of the first while slashing its groin with his blade, smiling at its scream of agony. Driving his dagger into ball-less's spine, he launched himself at the castrate's packmate, sinking his incisors deep into its throat and tearing out a mouthfull of flesh as it reeled back from his assault. For a moment, he felt that he might win, just for a moment, then the third one blindsided him, driving him into the dirt keening in pain. Pushing for all he was worth, he tried to win free, but while he was their superior in speed, when it came to raw power, the wolves had him clearly outmatched. Blow after blow rained upon him, keeping him pinned till the rest of the pack arrived and tore him apart...

--------------------------------------------------------- ----------

With a scream, he shot up in bed, regretting it immediately, waves of pain crashing in his head as he collapsed back down. Where was he? The sharp smell of antiseptic and the pinch of an IV in his arm gave answer. A hospital.... Why? A fight? Memories of an argument, an argument with Akane... Then Ryoga, angry... Nothing new there... A fight, yes, a fight.. A momentary mistiming and a blow getting through... Into the garbage cans... Something coming out, something disturbed by his landing... A c.. Ccca.. One of THEM... Landing on his chest... To much, last straw... Now this...

'So hot.. Im on fire.. So dry..' A hand to his forehead confirmed the fever, the aches and pains associated with illness, not injury. 'Sick? I never get sick!' All pride aside, it matched up, while the bruises from his fight had long since faded, he hurt... Pain in his head, soreness in his throat... 'Gotta get up... Gotta drink something, anything... So hot' With a grunt of effort, he levered himself into sitting position again... Fighting waves of nausea he stood and made his way to the door, drawn up short by the pain in his arm as the IV made itself known again. With a snarl he jerked it out and continued. Into the bathroom, water... Yes water would be nice.. Drink... Voices, mutterings... "Who's there?" Turning a little to quickly for comfort he found that he was still alone... Turning the water off he yelped at the unexpected pain from his hand 'Whaa?' A bandage there... Pull it off... His hand was swollen, with a small bite wound festering lightly in spite of the antibiotics... 'Where did that come from?'

'The infection, thats prolly what made me sick... Yeah thats it, Pops'll have a field day with this, a little scratch like that laying me up...' Visions of his fathers jibes and the extra training that would come from this dancing through his head, Ranma made his way back to the bed... --no, not here, go-- Turning quickly, he scanned the room, looking for the voice "Whadaya mean not here? Who's there?" The rooms only other occupant, an old man on a respirator, had no answers for him. --go, find the others, out of here and they will find you-- "What others?" 'What the hell am I doing? Im having a conversation with myself... Thats it, the damn tomboy's hit me one to many time with that mallet, and I've lost it...' "Look you... me... whatever... I aint goin' nowhere but back to bed. You got a problem with that?" Suiting actions to words, he made it about halfway before his stomach made it's displeasure with him known to any and all who would listen.


"Okaayy, then again, maybe I'll see what I can scrounge up for eats first..." 'Ucchan's should be opening soon... I'm sure she wouldnt mind parting with a couple of okonomiyaki for a sick man.' With that thought, he had the window open and was out and on his way... Compleatly overlooking the fact that all he wore was a hospital gown.

It was a testament to his training and conditioning that he made it at all. As it was, it was almost 2 hours before he arrived at the Ucchan, and the pre-dawn glow was making itself known.

"I was wondering if you would actually make it this far." The voice from the shadows caught him off guard as he whipped around in a combat crouch to face it.

"Who's there? Show yourself!"

A piece of the shadow broke away revealing a young woman dressed in dark clothing, she looked to be maybe a little older than Kasumi, raven hair bound in a simple tail down her back. Moving slightly quieter than a ghost she aproched him.

"I begin to see why you were chosen, few are those who are able to travel in the throes of the plague"

"Plague? What do you mean?"

"In time you will know." She looked him over for a moment. "Mother has chosen well it seems."

"What are you talking about? Who's mother?"

"She is the one who speaks to you, who tends you during your plague, filling your blood with memories of what once was, and can be."

"Riight... Look lady, I dont have time for this, as interesting as your story is, Im hungry, sick, and my head is killing me. So, not to be rude, but could you leave this for later?"

Her voice was tinged with light mirth as she turned away. "As you wish, young Warrior. When you need my answers, ask your bretheren, they will find me, ask for Sakura Walks in Shadows, and I will come." With that she slipped back into the shadows and was gone.

'Sheesh... What a nut.' As he turned to knock on the door, the last of his strength failed him leaving him collapsed on the steps.

Ukyo was not a happy camper. Between prices on supplies, slow business and Hinako-sensei's piles of homework, stress was mounting to an extreme. Now added to that, Ranchan was in the hospital with an unknown disease. 'Leave it to Ranchan.. Could'nt get a cold or the flu or something normal... Nooo, HE has to catch a bug nobody's _ever_ heard of.' Her morning preparations were interrupted by the sound of something large impacting her door. 'What is it now!?' "Tsubasa, you jackass! If thats you Im gonna pound you into the middle of next week!" Storming over to the door she yanked it open only to have a hospital gown clad Ranma tumble in and lie there unmoving.

-------------------------------------------------------- -----------

Ranma finished gnawing the ropes and sat back to admire his handiwork. While it would not affect the ship under normal conditions, the partially chewed ropes would give way under heavy strain, say that caused by any number of squalls common this time of year. The ropes giving way under those circumstances would cause an untold amount of havoc on the decks, possibly even sinking the ship... This was good. The dutch traders were unwelcome, gaijin who brought their rifles and black powder, disrupting the peace and harmony of his homeland in ways that would not _could not_ be tolerated. Chittering an order to his companions, he led the way down the anchor line and into the bay, swimming as fast as his four feet could carry him to the shoreline. Their departure was noticed by a lone crewman on deck, who muttered something about rats and sinking ships before returning his attention to his rum.

------------------------------------------------------------- ------

He was awake again, or he thought he was at least, his last clear recollection being the strange woman in front of Ucchan's. Where was he now? His mind was filled with disjointed memories, dreams blending with reality, all overlaid with a chittering that he could almost understand. 'Sleep' It said, 'Sleep for there is more to see.' Not having the energy to to do otherwise, he complied.

-------------------------------------------------------- -----------

He found himself standing on a hilltop, looking at the skyline of Tokyo in the distance, the city seemed different some how, wrong in ways he could not begin to understand. The chittering, now a voice he could follow, one he felt he could trust though he knew not why, surrounded him once more. "What you feel," It said, "the discomfort, is that wound in the Emerald Mother's flesh, the entrapment of the Wyld in the Weavers webs." Looking closer, the scene before him altered, distorting slightly. He could see the hill he stood upon, and the surrounding countryside take on a slightly untamed, though healthy and vibrant aspect, whereas the closer to the city he looked, the less healthy it seemed. The voice was right, it was like a wound, not a mortal blow, more of a festering tear in the harmony around him. The very essence of the land itself seemed bound and constrained, begging to be set free, pleading for release from the seemingly endless strands that bound it tight. Worse, it was not the city alone, for the countryside around it was slowly being drawn in, captured, restraind, ordered and regulated.

"Look now upon the works of man, who in allaince with the Weaver is bringing this age to a close."

"What do you mean? Whats going on? Who are you?"

"You have many questions warrior, I am here to answer them." A haze formed in front of him, slowly resolving into the form of a giant rat, about ten feet tall at the shoulder, oddly enough this didn't bother him. Then it spoke again, in the same chittering sing-song language that he could somehow understand. "To answer your last question first, I am Rat, your Mother and guardian. As for what is going on, you have been chosen from amongst your homid kin to join my ranks as a Warrior for the Emerald Mother, known as Gaia to the Sunset People. As for what I meant earlier, that will become clear in time"

Absorbing this tidbit brought the next question "Why me? I mean, I'm the best martial artist around, but what can I do about this?" He waved at the cityscape before them. "This isn't something you can handle with your fists."

"Why you? Why not? You are as you claim, a skilled warrior, and warriors are what I need. True, you alone cannot affect much, then again, who can tell..." The last was said with an expression that was _way_ to reminiscent of Nabiki for his liking.

"Wait a minute here... Theres more goin on here aint there, you want more than a fighter dont you? You have something in mind, I can feel it!"

"That I may young warrior, that I may. If I do, I am sure you will figure it out in time. For now, let us say that you have talents that can be of great use to me, in return for which I am granting you strength, speed and abilities beyond what you could achieve on your own. Provided of course you survive your re-birth." That said, the apparition faded, as if it had never truly been there at all.

Ranma stood there, re-playing the conversation in his head when something that was said finally penetrated. "Hey!! Whadaya mean _IF_ I survive?!?!"

----------------------------------------------------- --------------

Tbc

For those of you unfamiliar with the World of Darkness, more will be revealed shortly, for those of you who are enlightened, Im sure you realize what is going on by now..

For those of you who wonder about the Nezumi, this may give you some insight:

http://members.tripod.com/wwta/Breeds/Ratkin/Tribes/Nezum i/nezumi_tribe.htm

SoulSurvivor

Questions? Comments?
E-mail me at:

simkin@rocketmail.com

We are the equalizers, the Low Born, the ultimate truth. When our Hakken brothers realize the need for us again, they will come, and we will make a killing...literally.
-- TienBao, Nezumi Warrior

(Hakken - Werewolf)