Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Nezumi ❯ Ancient Enemy ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
By the way folks, I could use some C&C here

------
Disclaimer: Aside from Rumiko Takahashi, the list of people who have the rights to Ranma 1/2 escapes me at the moment. However, I can tell you with absolute certainty that it most definately does NOT include me.
------


Chapter 2


A shadow within a shadow, Sakura watched her quarry. She had noticed him skulking in the alley behind a local ramen shop shortly after parting ways with Saotome. Normally, she would have moved on, leaving him to his business, but with Ranma close by and still in the throes of the birthing plauge she knew she could take no chances.

When she had finally gotten close enough, the stench of corruption that assaulted her senses had proven the necesity of her caution, prompting her to follow him to an abandoned warehouse just outside of Nerima. Now here she was, waiting for him to leave his lair once more and allow her to investigate, she had been observing this building for the better part of the day when when she watched a limo pull up to the entrance and leave with him inside.

Never once leaving the shadows, she made her way silently to the rear of the building and after a moment of concentration, leapt onto the roof. Crossing over to a skylight, she examined the interior, finding it empty, she let herself in with the aid of one of many gadgets on her person and dropped to the floor in a combat crouch. After assuring herslef that she truly was alone, she began a detailed examination of the buildings interior, searching for any clue as to her quarry's identity and motives.

Her only warning was the overwhelming sense of corruption that had originally brought her here, as something struck the back of her neck, freezing her in place.

"Welcome to my Parlour, said the Spider to the Fly"

The voice was rich and melodic, and at the moment lightly mocking. Unable to move a muscle, she watched with no small amount of trepidation as a man in an immaculate business suit walked into her line of vision. He stood a good head taller than her, appearing to be in his mid thirties, though his eyes spoke of one who had been around much longer. He let his eyes bore into hers for a moment as his lips streched into a thin, cruel, smile, the tips of elongated canines making themselves known.

"And who might you be, little one? Ahh, thats right, you cant talk right now, can you? Oh well, who you are, is less important than what you are, child. Do you know what that is?" He paused a moment to allow her to consider "What you are, my dear, is a light snack, something to, shall we say... take the edge off as it were"

With that he grabbed her shoulders and bit into her throat, his elongated canines easily tearing open her jugular. With almost obscene sucking noises he guzzled several mouthfulls of blood before stumbling back and hitting his knees with a strangled yell, a look of agony mixed with confusion on his face.

The pain and shock of the attack released her from the paralisys and she wasted no time in shifting to her war form, that of a muscular humanoid rat. Willing her sword into her hand, she lashed out at the creature before her, severing the arm he held up to block. Bringing her blade into position for a follow through strike to the throat, she was caught compleatly off guard by a kick to her abdomen that threw her halfway across the room, into a wall of webbing that hadn't been there a moment before.

"Cursed ratling!! Damn you, and damn your plague tainted blood!" Still retching slightly, he climbed to his feet and fixed her with a venom laced glare.

Struggling in vain against the confining strands she watched as the man walked over to his severed arm, and touched it with his foot. She felt a cold hard lump form in the pit of her stomach as the limb collapsed into a mound of spiders which crawled onto the foot and dissolved into it while his arm regrew, suit sleeve and all. At that moment, Sakura knew for a fact that she was dead, the beast before her would would see to that without question.

"Kumo..." she snarled, the word distorted by her form

"Yes ratling. Kumo." As he approached her his features seemed to melt "And you shall pay dearly for meddling in my busssinesss.." His form had finally settled into what looked like an arachnoid centaur, with a grossly distended body and wickedly sharp claws that twiched in anticipation.

It walked up to her and gently drew a line across her chest with a claw, watching the blood well out of the razor cut, noting also that the wound on her neck had already healed over. "Ssincse I can not feasst on your juicsess, I sshall feasst on your sscreamss insstead!"

Sakura tried, she tried not to give the beast the satisfaction, but everone has their limits, though her screams went unanswered. And the end, when it finally came with the following dawn, was marked by no one save her killer, whose only regret was that she had not lasted a little longer.
_________________________________________________________
< br> Kuno ran, putting everything he had and more into keeping Saotome in sight, and when he inevitably lost him, he paused only long enough to question those who might have seen him pass. All the while, he went over plan after plan in his mind, trying desperately to come up with a way of stopping what he had seen.

Winded and footsore, Kuno finally found him, he had wedged himself into a patch of dry dirt under a small bridge near the edge of town. Oblivious to the world around him, he stared at something Kuno couldnt see, although he could guess as to what it might be.

"Saotome."

Ranma shifted slightly, tucking whatever he had been examining under his leg as he turned to address the kendoist.

"Today aint the best day to mess with me Kuno, you might not like what you get."

"Of that I am sure Saotome, any more than Hibiki enjoyed 'what he got' as you put it."

Ranma's head dropped in shame "You saw it all then?"

"Aye, that I did, that and more."

Ranma's head lifted a fraction of an inch. "More?"

There, the slightest pique of curiosity. Kuno knew, that there was no way he coud physically stop Saotome, if the distraught teenager chose to end his own life. What he had to do, he realized, was focus the young martial artists attention elsewhere. Slowly, a plan was begining to form in his mind, a way to convince Ranma that his present course of action was unwise. It would work, but it would require revealing the secrets of his family, revealing their second sight.

Arctic winds were warmer than the kendoist's voice as he spoke. "The glass, Saotome, the one you intend to slit your throat with, the one you are hiding under your leg."

Ranma jerked as if slapped, he tensed as if to run, then slumped back down. Picking up the aforementioned shard, he toyed with it, drawing it across his thumb to check it's edge. "Im not sure I really wanna know how you knew about this Kuno, but honestly, why do you care? You've hated me since the day we met, why should you care if I do this?"

Letting his voice warm a bit Kuno sighed before continuing. "I understand your reasons, Saotome, and in your position I would be sorely tempted to do the same. If it were merely your life in question, I would provide a clean dagger and act as your second if you so desired... Unfortunately, that is not the case in this instance, your life is not the only one at stake."

"What do you mean 'This is not the case'?! You saw what happened! You saw what I did to Ryouga, theres a good chance that I killed him! This is the only way I can keep from hurting anyone else Kuno. So why shouldnt I? Why!!"

Keeping his face compleatly passive against Ranma's histerics, he allowed himself a small sigh of frustration before answering. "I can give you no definitive answer on that Saotome, I simply know what I saw. Just as I saw you here, with your throat slit and that piece of glass in your hand, just as I saw how that sword got under the training hall. I watched it happen while you were digging for it"

As Kuno went on to describe the scene he had witnessed, Ranma's jaw dropped further and further, the scene matched his memories perfectly, including details that he himself had forgotten. By the time Kuno had finished his narrative, the piece of glass lay on the ground forgotten as Ranma climbed to his feet.

"How...?"

"My family has had the sight for generations, Saotome, and has paid the price. My price you know well, he calls himself the 'Blue Thunder' and is madly in love with your female half."

"You know? When? How? But...?"

The look of consternation on Saotome's face almost made the revealing of his secrets bearable, stifling a small chuckle he continued. "I know, Saotome, He, does not, nor will he ever I suppose"

Puzzlment was evident on Ranma's face as he eyed the kendoist. "I dont get it... You act like he's someone else, I mean, he's you... Isn't he?"

"He is both Saotome, and neither as well. He comes and goes as he pleases, as discomfiting as that can be at times. I know not which is worse however, the days when lies are all I know, or days like today, when all I see is truth. And the truth that I saw today was this, should you end your life here and now, uncountable numbers of innocents shall perish as a result"

"How?"

Kuno's contenance be came grave as he revealed his vision. "I saw a rain of fire, destroying all in its path, I heard their screams Saotome, it is not a vision that I would care to experience again, though doubtless it will live on in my nightmares. I dont know if your death causes it, or if by living you do something prevent it, I simply know, that if you perish, so shall we all."

Ranma suddnly found himself sitting again, as his legs gave out from under him in shock. It had seemed so simple a few moments ago, one quick slash, and he would never have to worry about huring anyone else... But now that was no longer an option, if there were _any_ chance whatsoever of Kuno's prediction becoming reality, then there was no way he could risk it. Looking up at the for once sane kendoist, he knew that he was going to have to live.

"What then Kuno, what can I do? You dont understand what is happening to me, hell, I dont understand it. All I know, is that there is so much anger in me, I feel like I'm gonna blow, and the voices, God dammit, the voices, they wont shut up!"

Kuno shook his head. "That, Saotome, is something that you are going to have to solve for yourself. I have no answers for you."

"Well what about Akane?" Ranma's voice showed mild desperation. "She saw what happened, she saw what I did to Ryouga..."

"Again," Kuno interrupted, "I know not. You would be better advised to seek guidance from one more versed in the arts mystical than myself... Perhaps the crone from the chineese restaurant may have some wisdom to impart on this matter."

Ranma brightened up slightly at the suggestion. "I suppose you're right, the old ghoul might have something..."

His rumination was cut off as he _felt_ something change in Kuno, he looked up to see the swordsman's eyes start to gaze over as his posture became rigid. Kuno suddenly looked at him as if for the first time, as his lips curled into an imperious sneer. 'Aw hell...'

"So! The sorcerous dog Saotome has finally fallen before me..." He drew his Bokken "Well, let it never be said that the scion of House Kuno is less than merciful... Your end shall be swift knave!"

Twisting on the ground, Ranma lashed out and planted his left foot into Kunos gut before he could level a blow, knocking the delusional swordsman into the side of the bridge and rendering him unconcious. 'Damn! Of all the times to space out... Well, that tears it, I have no choice, but to go back and face the music. Damn, I hope Ryouga's ok'

Arranging the fallen kendoist into a more comfortable position for his impromptu nap, Ranma turned and headed back to the scene of the fight.


Elsewhere...
Ichiro was annoyed. Most of the day had been wasted luring that girl into his trap, and she had turned out to be nezumi... 'Damn that race!' Of all the shifting breeds, the rats were the only ones who's blood was unpalatable. His stomach protested slightly, as if the memory itself hurt, and the worst part was, that he had no one to blame but himself. He had been so eager to feast on her that he hadnt bothered tasting the blood first. Sure, breaking her overnight had calmed him somewhat, but it had also distracted him from his current task. To make matters even worse, healing the damage done to his system by the ratlings blood had taken most of the following day, leaving him dangerously weak and in need of nourishment.

Walking into an establisment near his quarry's he took a seat and watched as the young cook skillfully worked her trade, mixing batter and adding toppings at a frantic rate. A girl in a kimono... No, make that a man masquerading as a girl in a kimono, came and took his order. He ate slowly, not really tasteing his okonomiyaki as he waited for the rest of the patrons to exit the store.

When closing time came around, he found himself alone with the owner and her crossdressing waitress. Leaving money on the table, he headed for the door, but instead of exiting, he locked it and flipped the sign to 'closed'. Turning, he faced the other occupants, finding that they had armed themselves, one with a sword, and the other, of all things, with a bakers peel. Letting himself dissolve into his war form, he couldnt help but laugh at the horror that etched itself plainly on their faces, as their weapons dropped to the floor.

Meanwhile...
The sun was on the verge of setting when Ranma arrived at the dojo, and what he found there did not bode well at all. His father was waiting for him outside the gates, their packs at his feet and a severe expression on his face.

"Dont bother going in there boy, she's not there, and you're not welcome... For now anyway." Noting the look of pain on his son's face he continued. "I've spoken with Soun, and we have agreed that it would be best if you spent some time away from the Dojo... At least untill Akane calms down a bit"

Ranma's shoulders slumped in defeat, he knew there was no point in arguing. "Where... Where is she?"

Genma felt something inside him twist at the expression on his child's face, but hardened his resolve. "She's at the hospital, waiting for the results of Ryouga's surgery." Seeing Ranma's look of surprise he continued on before he could be interrupted. "Yes, he survived, barely, but he survived. If it had not been for Akane, you would have torn his throat out... Yes, I saw you Ranma, I saw the whole thing, and frankly boy, Im dissapointed in you."

Stepping over to Ranma he delivered a stunning smack to the back of the boy's head. "Just _what_ the hell was that?! Have I not taught you better than that BOY! Twelve years of training and you lash out like a common THUG! The Art is about _discipline_ boy, it is about _control_! How DARE you disgrace our family Art?!"

Ranma fell back, caught completly off guard by his fathers reaction. His current situation forgotten for the moment, he tried vainly to get a word in, to explain himself, to explain the rage. He was so flustered by his fathers assault that he could'nt even get angry, all he could do was vainly try to compose his thoughts and provide a response.

Genma was having nothing of it, he knew that this was not the best idea, but his son _needed_ control, he needed to be able to keep himself in check. "You were _angry_? What is this?! Who are you, Akane? Maybe your girl side is going through that time of the month?! Where is the discipline I taught you boy? So you turned into a rat? _So What!!_ You turn into a girl several times a day!! Thats no excuse!!"

With a snort of disgust, he stiff armed Ranma's pack at him hard enough to knock him back a step. "We are going to take advantage of this time boy, _you_ are going to train, and you will _keep_ training untill _I_ decide that you can control yourself. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME!!"

Still in shock, Ranma did the only thing he could, he put on his pack and bowed to his father. "Hai Sensei!"

That settled, father and son took one last look at their home for the last 8 months, turned around and walked away.


At the Ucchan...
Ichiro dropped the husk that had once been Ukyo Kunoji and let out a sigh of satisfaction. Turning to the unconsious Konatsu he smiled. Standing, he brought Ukyo's image into his minds eye, studying every detail. Then he collapsed into a mound of variable sized spiders which reformed themselves into her image, clothing and all.

Kneeling by Konatsu, he began to shake him, waiting until the kunoichi awoke, then, staring deeply into Konatsu's eyes, he pushed the boy's psyche with his will, pushing untill it gave, forcing Konatsu to literally see things his way. Chuckling softly to himself, he watched as the emotions played across the kunoichi's face, fear, anger, sadness, loss, confusion, and finally adoration. "Ukyo... Sama..." Yes, this one would make an adequate servant for now.

Later that evening, while cleaning up the Ucchan, Konatsu was in heaven. Ukyo, his Ukyo-sama had confessed her love for him! Dancing across the floor in glee he recalled her loving eyes as she asked him to tell anybody that asked that she was visiting family for the moment. She had told him that she didnt want anybody coming between them... Whats more, she was trusting him with the store, even after the fiasco of his last attempt... She loved him!

His reflection was interrupted as he came across a lethery oblong object that seemed to be filled with sticks. While he couldnt tell what it was, for some reason it disturbed him greatly. Before he could focus to much on his find, the image of Ukyo-sama's smiling face flared to life behind his eyes as he stuffed the object into a trash bag and disposed of it in the dumpster out back. Returning inside, with the object forgotten, he came across a palm sized spider on the counter... Looking down at it in adoration he sighed. "Ukyo-sama..."

Tbc.


For those of you who wonder about the Nezumi, this may give you some insight:

http://members.tripod.com/wwta/Breeds/Ratkin/Tribes/Nezum i/nezumi_tribe.htm

Soul Survivor

Questions? Comments?
E-mail me at:

simkin@rocketmail.com

We are the equalizers, the Low Born, the ultimate truth. When our Hakken brothers realize the need for us again, they will come, and we will make a killing...literally.
-- TienBao, Nezumi Warrior

Hakken - Werewolf
Nezumi - Wererat
Kumo - Werespider

To all of you Ukyo fans out there:
Gomen, Gomen!!!
*kowtows repeatedly*