Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma's Brother ❯ Confused and Crushed ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own don't sue. I own nothing. Though, I do owe many people.
 
A/N: Thanks to all who reviewed. It means a lot to me. I hope to get the next chapter out soon. More reviews mean faster chapters.
 
And a personal thanks to Dragon Man 180 for giving me a good idea for a good event that I'm gonna use soon. Just not sure when. Just giving credit where credit is due.
 
Now story time
 
Chapter 5: Confused and Crushed
 
Ranma sighed as he waited for his turn during gym class. He thought about Akane's progress over the past couple of days and was impressed, though he'd never admit it to her face. He was starting to see why his brother was so willing to help her out. Akane had a lot of potential. Thinking of his brother brought a frown to Ranma's face. He just did not understand Shinta anymore. They used to share whatever was on their mind everyday, now Ranma was lucky to know what Shinta though about the weather.
 
He sighed again as he thought about last night…
 
-------------
 
Flashback—
 
Ranma entered the waiting area to see only Akane there.
 
“What happened to Shinta?” he asked with some small surprise.
 
Akane blushed a little. In her mind she was still seeing Ranma without his shirt. “Um… he said he had something to do, and to go on without him.”
 
Ranma blinked. That's different. Shinta sometimes borders on the overprotective type. He shrugged. “Must be important. Let's head home, I'm starving.” Ranma did not notice the small slip. Akane did though, and blushed again.
 
Ranma had lived with her and her family for less than a week, and he already though of the Tendo compound as his `home'. This thought brought a smile to her face. Ranma finally had a place where he could settle down, and relax. It makes one wonder how he lived before I met him, she thought.
 
They walked in a comfortable silence for a couple of blocks. Neither one having anything to say, but enjoying the company. Suddenly Ranma collapsed in the street.
 
“What happened?” Akane asked worriedly.
 
“I—I don't know…” Ranma replied. “I just can't move my legs…” That sneaky… I'd bet when he patted my back, he did something to my hips. Better not tell Akane; she does like him after all. Akane kneeled in front of Ranma with her back to him. “W-what are you doing?”
 
“Piggyback. You can't move your legs, right? How else do you plan to get back?” she stated simply. I'm glad he can't see my blush.
 
Ranma was about to let his pride take over and start insulting Akane, but he bit his tongue and tried a logical approach. “No offence, but I think it might look wired if a girl is carrying a guy. Also, I think I might be a little heavy for you.”
 
Akane looked around for a second before finding what she was looking for. Soon the longhaired girl was carrying a smaller (slightly damp) redhead on her back. The redhead sighed as she thought about how the rolls should be reversed.
 
End flashback
 
-------------
 
“—tome”
 
“Saotome!” Called the teacher for the fifth time.
 
Ranma jumped. “Hai!” I can't believe I spaced out like that.
 
“Your turn on the bar. Let's see what you can do.”
 
Ranma looked at his brother who gave him a thumb's up then went back to watching the girls play softball. Thanks bro, he thought sarcastically. Last time they had to do something like this at their last school, Shinta had cheered him on the entire time. Now Ranma did not know what to think of his brother. Especially after the stunt he pulled that morning.
 
Ranma did a few simple flips then finished with a one-handed dismount. The rest of the class applauded the feat he did. Ranma just sighed. Any one there could do the same thing with enough training.
 
“That was awesome, Saotome,” said a boy with short black hair. Ranma recognized him as Daisuke.
 
“You studied gymnastics in China, right?” asked another boy who had light brown hair. Hiroshi was his name.
 
“I studied kempo,” Ranma stated as he sat back down. As well as other styles, he added mentally. “So doing something like that's not a big deal.”
 
“What is a big deal is what happened this morning,” said Daisuke with a big grin.
 
“I agree,” said Hiroshi. “I didn't think Kuno could be that stupid.”
 
Ranma just groaned as he, too, remembered.
 
-------------
 
Flashback
 
Everyone was sitting at the table eating. The brothers had just finished a quick session with Akane and were discussing her progress when Kasumi asked a very innocent question.
 
“Akane, could you drop off this book off at Tofu-sensei's? I want to return it.”
 
Akane froze for a second before getting a little nervous. “Um… couldn't you do it, Nee-chan? Today's… just not good for me.”
 
“Really? I guess I'll have to…” Kasumi sounded a little disappointed or hopeful. Ranma could not tell.
 
Ranma looked questioningly at Akane. “What's goin' on Akane? We're stopping by this morning. And I thought you were looking forward to going.”
 
Akane slammed her hands on the table as she rose. She then grabbed Ranma's arm and started dragging him away. “Come on!! We're going to be late!”
 
She continued to drag Ranma all the way to school not listening to his protests or his near begging to stop. It wasn't until they were inside school grounds that Akane shoved Ranma against the wall and glared at him.
 
“Why don't you keep your big mouth shut!” she demanded as Ranma looked confused.
 
“Waddaya mean `big mouth'?” he asked slightly offended.
 
“I mean about me and---“ It was then Akane noticed that her companion had a few `extra' parts. She opened Ranma's shirt just to be sure. “Wha—When did this happen?”
 
“I tried to tell you…” Ranma-chan groused.
 
Suddenly they both became aware of the horde of boys that gathered around them, some hoping for a nice peek.
 
“GET OTTA HERE PERVERTS!!!” yelled Ranma-chan as she covered her chest.
 
Akane got into a ready stance. “Alright, who's first today?” she challenged the crowd. Instead of attacking, all the boys started crying.
 
“Tendo Akane, as of today we shall no longer challenge you,” said one of the boys.
 
“Instead we shall swallow our tears, and give in to your engagement to Saotome Ranma,” continued a soccer player.
 
This is interesting, thought Ranma-chan as she tried to figure out the sudden change of heart. Her answer came in the form of a mummy carrying a stick.
 
“So, you've all heard this rumor, this falsehood,” said the mummy in a slightly muffled voice. “That Kuno Tatewaki was bested by Saotome Ranma. Let me tell you: Kuno-sempai does NOT accept defeat!!”
 
“Kuno was not only the best fighter among us, but he was also the biggest pervert,” commented another of the hentai horde.
 
“If it is Ranma that you have chosen, we will respect your decision,” the first boy finished.
 
Kuno-mummy started laughing. “A hundred—no, TWO hundred kicks from a cowered like Saotome Ranma, don't even itch.” He then removed the bandages covering his head to show two very large, foot-shaped bruises on his face.
 
Ranma-chan had enough. “So, do I need to beat you in front of the whole school for you to understand that you can't beat me?” she demanded.
 
Kuno glanced at Ranma-chan, then his face lit up. “Ah! My pigtailed-girl!” he cried happily. “Oh, how I have pined for you,” he sighed as held Ranma-chan's hands.
 
“Hang on for a sec. I thought you liked Akane,” she stated annoyed.
 
“But I do!” he declared.
 
Ranma-chan's eyes narrowed. “She's right over there you know.” But before Akane could say anything, a tall blond came running through the gate.
 
“Surly the gods have smiled upon me today,” said Kuno as he looked at the new girl. “To think, that all three of my loves are here at the same time!!”
 
Is this guy serious? Thought Ranma as she also looked at her brother/sister. She was wearing a light blue long-sleeved Chinese shirt, their similar black pants, and her black bracers. Shinta-chan had her sword tucked in her bag with its hilt sticking out. Her hair was flowing freely in the breeze, giving her a serine aura.
 
“Whoa! Who's the new girl?” asked a boy (who was not a part of the hentai horde).
 
“Dunno, but isn't she HOT?” commented another.
 
If only you knew… Ranma-chan thought as she heard these and other similar comments.
 
Shinta-chan started walking up to Kuno and Ranma-chan, and punched the boy square in the face. The force of the hit sent Kuno back a few feet, though he got up as soon as he stopped moving. “As feisty as ever, my golden-haired beauty.”
 
Shinta-chan gave a full force glare at Kuno before shouting, “Keep your dirty hands off of my girlfriend!!!” She then put her arm around the smaller girl's shoulders.
 
To say that the silence that fell over the courtyard was deafening, would be the understatement of the year. Everyone there just looked at the two girls with various states of shock. Kuno decided to break the silence in his own way.
 
“What vile sorcery has the foul Saotome demons cast upon you?!!” he yelled at the top of his lungs. Several people covered their ears at the sudden change in volume. “Please tell me, my fair maidens, tell me what they have done to you to make you shun your true love, myself?”
 
Ranma-chan's eye twitched as she listened to self-absorbed boy, openly admit that he “loved” three separate women. She was so busy trying to figure him out, that she almost missed her older sister's reply.
 
“They have done nothing to us,” Shinta-chan stated simply. “We are two girls who happen to openly care for each other.”
 
“Tis wrong for a woman to love another of the fairer gender,” Kuno shot back. “The females' role is to support their male superior. How can you build a relationship on the fact that neither of you can do anything other than tend the house?”
 
Several girls in the courtyard were now sending death glares at Kuno, while other spectators gave the unlucky boy a wide breath. No one wanted to be in the crossfire that was sure to result.
 
Shinta-chan just smiled warmly as she wrapped her arms around Ranma-chan from behind. “It doesn't matter what people think of us. My world revolves around her, I would do anything to protect her, and I know she would do the same for me,” she said warmly and lovingly as anyone had ever heard before. There was little doubt with most of the people there that the two girls had a bond of some sort. However, Kuno was another story…
 
“Nay!!! Kuno shall never give you up!!!!” He cried as he started running to the Saotome sisters. “Let my love for you break you of this evil curse that the foul Saotomes have placed on you!”
 
Shinta-chan and Ranma-chan kicked the offending boy away putting an end to the morning soap opera. Students then started entering the school without a backward glace. Soon Akane approached the two “lovers” and shoved them in to a nearby P.E. shed.
 
The door was closed for barely ten seconds when Shinta-chan started laughing uncontrollably. Soon she was rolling on the floor with tears in her eyes. Akane and Ranma-chan just stood and watched as the older girl continued to laugh until she was red in the face.
 
When it seemed like Shinta-chan had finally calmed down enough to talk, Akane wasted no time. “WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ABOUT?!!!!” she all but screeched at the blonde.
 
Ranma-chan nodded. “Yeah sis. What where you thinking back there?”
 
Shinta-chan just smirked at her younger companions. “I was trying to come up with a way to get the idiot out of our hair.”
 
“Couldn't you come up with something else?” Akane asked annoyed.
 
The older Saotome scratched the back of her head in embarrassment. “It was a spur of the moment… kind of thing…”
 
“NANI!!!!!!????” cried her younger sibling. “Do you have any idea the rumors that are gonna start flying around?”
 
Shinta-chan just waved her off. “Don't worry. I'll talk with Nabiki and she'll handle the rumors.”
 
Akane gave a frustrated sigh. “That won't be the start of it if someone finds out about your curses.”
 
Shinta-chan shrugged. “I meant what I said. I will protect my sibling with my life. Not my fault that people have a tendency to misinterpret what is said around them.”
 
“You called me your `girlfriend',” Ranma-chan stated. “There's very few ways to interpret that.”
 
Shinta-chan blushed again in embarrassment. “Maybe I should've gone with Plan B.”
 
“Which is…?” asked Akane.
 
“A—sec—ret!” Shinta-chan smiled as she pulled a thermos out of her bag. “There's enough hot water in here to turn us back. So let's get to class.”
 
End Flashback
 
-------------
 
Ranma sighed as he watched his brother do a complex routine on the bar. Always the show off, he mentally complained. He turned his attention to the girls' softball game. He watched with some interest as he saw Akane caught a fly ball easily. She smiled so happily at her teammates that her face seemed to glow. Ranma could feel his cheeks heat up a little as he continued to watch her.
 
“Man, I'll tell ya: I'm jealous of you Saotome,” commented Hiroshi.
 
“What do you mean?” Ranma asked.
 
“You have such a cute fiancé,” answered Daisuke. “Not only that, one the most popular girls here. I know half of the guys of that horde, would kill to be you right now.”
 
“It don't matter,” Ranma sulked. “She already has her eyes on someone…”
 
A loud CRACK echoed around the yard as Akane hit a foul ball, right into Ranma's face.
 
“Hey, Saotome? Don't you have great reflexes or something?” asked Hiroshi. “Couldn't you've dodged it?”
 
“Had something on my mind…” was the slightly mumbled reply.
 
Or someone, Shinta thought as he watched Akane continue to apologize to Ranma.
 
-------------
 
Ranma and Akane walked to Dr. Tofu's later that afternoon to have his cheek and side looked at. Akane was still apologizing while Ranma was just thinking about the fact that his “fiancé” was in love with another person.
 
Not that I care or anything, he thought.
 
They stopped when they saw a familiar figure sweeping off the sidewalk in front of the clinic.
 
“Shinta? What're you doing here?” asked Ranma.
 
“I decided to help the doctor out,” Shinta replied. “In turn, he's gonna teach me some healing techniques. He's a little upset that you missed your appointment.”
 
Ranma winced as he remembered that he was supposed to stop in that morning. Hope he'll understand that I was a little busy. He looked at his brother. “After you get home, I would like a full explanation as to what your `Plan B' is.”
 
Shinta shrugged. “Sure, but you have to beat me first.”
 
Ranma just nodded as he and Akane walked into the clinic. Dr. Tofu looked up from a book he was looking through when he heard his door open. “Ah, Akane and Ranma. I was wondering if I'd see you today.” He chuckled at his own joke. “Shinta-kun explained everything, so don't worry about missing your appointment.”
 
Ranma sighed as he followed him into the examination room.
 
“So what happened to you face?” Tofu asked as he made some tea.
 
“Just a little baseball incident,” Ranma replied.
 
The doctor nodded. “Let me see your other injury first. I use different balms for different injuries.”
 
Ranma nodded and raised the side of his shirt. Tofu looked at the pink skin with some small surprise. I thought I would have to apply the balm at least two more times for it to heal. Ranma must have a natural healing ability, Tofu thought. I guess these two are full of surprises. “It's healing nicely. Don't have anything strike that area for the next 24 hours, just to be safe.” Ranma nodded. “Now sit tight while I get the salve.”
 
After Tofu left Akane gathered her stuff and tried to leave, but Ranma grabbed her arm. “Hey what's the rush?”
 
Akane bowed her head. “It's nothing… I just remembered something I have to do…”
 
Ranma blinked. “But I thought you liked—mmmmph!” Akane slapped her hand over Ranma's mouth.
 
“Listen,” she replied a little sadly, with her head still bowed. “There's a girl Dr. Tofu likes. She's on her way here now.”
 
Ranma blinked again. “It can't be that bad.” He placed his hand on her shoulder. “I'm here, so you don't have to worry.”
 
Akane looked up and into his crystal blue eyes. All she saw was true sincerity behind the words. She smiled a little despite herself. “Thanks…” she whispered.
 
-------------
 
Shinta wiped his brow as he finished cleaning the front of the clinic. That was a bit more difficult than I thought, he thought as he put away the cleaning supplies.
 
“Hello? Anyone here?” called a voice.
 
Shinta looked towards the front door to see someone standing there.
 
“Hello. How are you this afternoon?” he replied.
 
-------------
 
“That's a pretty nasty mark you have there,” Tofu said as he examined Ranma's injury. “Let me guess: Akane hit the ball, right?”
 
Akane spat out the tea she was drinking while Ranma just stared at the doctor. “Wha—How did you know?”
 
“With the impression that deep, and bruise that big, who else?”
 
Ranma blinked in surprise. “You mean she's done this before?”
 
“It's your fault for not paying attention,” Akane said in her defense.
 
Now Dr. Tofu blinked. “You're saying Akane did hit the ball? I was only kidding.”
 
Akane blushed in embarrassment while Tofu laughed. “Don't worry about it.” He then turned to Ranma. “Now I need you to be still as I apply the cream.”
 
The door to the examination room opened to reveal a pretty young woman.
 
“Good afternoon, Tofu-sensei,” said the ever pleasant Kasumi.
 
Ranma barely noticed Dr. Tofu's glasses fog over before…
 
CRACK!!
 
…His neck was bent almost completely sideways. Strange thing was, it didn't hurt.
 
“H-hello, Kasumi,” he replied. “What brings you here?”
 
While Kasumi talked with Tofu, Shinta walked in and saw his brother trying in vain to get said doctor's attention. What the heck is goin' on here? He thought.
 
“DOCTOR!!” cried Ranma.
 
“Hmmm…? What's the problem Akane?” he asked.
 
“I'm Ranma…” Ranma replied tiredly.
 
“Okay. What's wrong Ranma?” he asked again.
 
“My neck…”
 
Tofu gave an annoyed sigh as he grabbed Ranma's head and bent it 180 degrees. “There! All better.”
 
Shinta facefalted. Okay, now I KNOW something's wrong here.
 
Akane got up and left after uttering a few quick good-bys. Ranma watched her go, unsure of what to do.
 
Shinta sighed as he looked at his bent-necked brother. “Hang on while I fix you. Then you can chase after her.” Now where is that book I was looking at earlier?
 
-------------
 
Ranma caught up with Akane after she got back to her house. He entered carefully, so he would not become the target of misplaced anger. As he rounded the dojo, he saw Akane break block pile after block pile with increasing force.
 
She must really be upset, he thought as he continued to watch. Soon Akane sat against the wall for a small rest. Is she crying? Ranma's eyes lit up as an idea came to him.
 
I can't let it bother me, she thought as she caught her breath. She looked up when she sensed someone near her. She noticed Ranma standing in a ready stance with a serious expression on his face. Akane quickly got into a stance herself and prepared for Ranma's attack.
 
Ranma started with a few slow punches, which Akane easily dodged. Ranma then picked up the pace with a few faster punches and kicks. Akane was still able to dodge or block all of them. She then went on the offense throwing punch after punch after kick. Ranma, with his higher skill, was able to avoid all the attacks without any problem. This just made Akane more frustrated.
 
“Come on!” she yelled at him. “How am I gonna work of my stress if you don't fight me seriously?”
 
Ranma just frowned as he jumped over another kick. “Hey, don't you get tired of being stressed?” he asked as he ducked under a backhand.
 
“It's my life,” she snapped back. “If I want it to stress me out, I'll let it.”
 
Ranma just jumped back and smiled. “You should know: you're pretty cute when you smile.”
 
Akane froze as a light pink tinted her cheeks. Ranma slid through her dropped defense and poked her head. “Gotcha!”
 
Akane fell down in surprise, and then sent Ranma a small glare. “That didn't count, you know.” The playfulness in her voice countered any anger in the glare.
 
Ranma walked away whistling a nameless but happy tune.
 
-------------
 
That night Akane lay on her bed looking up at the ceiling with Ranma's words still running around in her head. Did he really mean it? Akane wondered. She was no stranger to compliments, between Kuno and the horde; she got over a hundred a day. But none of them stuck the same way Ranma's did. She could not figure out why though. Maybe because it's true. She picked up her desk mirror and smiled at it. The resulting image made her forced smile to become more and more genuine until she was happy again.
 
Can't let that baka know he was right about me.
 
Akane turned off her light and went to sleep with dreams of a rough diamond that she wished would become a shinning one soon.
 
-------------
 
Ranma sat on the roof over his room and watched the stars shine. The one thing he always liked while camping. He would find the highest spot in the forest and stare at the stars for hours. It had helped him when he had trouble sleeping, or had a problem that would not leave him alone; they would then get lost among the infinite number of tiny dots in the vast sky. But the issue he was currently dealing with was causing him more agitation than he felt was necessary.
 
“You know, without the city lights, they shine twice as bright,” said a voice to his right. Ranma's only acknowledgment to the new arrival was a small nod. “Can't sleep little bro?” asked the voice.
 
Ranma sighed. “Is it wrong to take pleasure in another person's sadness?” he asked out of the blue.
 
Shinta blinked three times as he tried to figure out how to answer. “That depends on the situation...” he began lamely.
 
“Is it wrong for me to feel happy that Akane is upset that Tofu-sensei likes Kasumi?” Ranma clarified.
 
“Gee… I have no answer for that one. Unless… You're admitting you at least have some feelings for your fiancé.” Shinta's grin threatened to split his face in half.
 
Ranma's only response was to blush then jump back through their bedroom window.
 
Shinta sighed as he took his turn stargazing. “Brother, when are you gonna be honest with yourself?”
 
 
End for now
 
A/N: Finally the last chapter before Ryoga shows up. This one mainly was to show Kuno's complete and total idiocy. And some minor R&A relationship. BTW I was thinking of having Ryoga with a different curse. Leave any ideas in your reviews. Cursed animal must be able to be a pet of some kind.
 
Read the next issue: Lost Boy, Lost Friend