Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Shantyworld ❯ The Party ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

All characters belong to Rumiko Takahashi, Kosuke Fujishima, Pioneer and Monkey Punch. Doozysack, Lollygaggers, Mama Prime, Peace Robots, Governors and anything else you don't immediatly recognize as anime belongs to me. I would also like to thank my prereaders Ragun Paul Moody, Small Pink Mouse and my good friend Christopher Gwynn who helps me with my technobabble. So

without further ado. Montanto Productions proudly presents.

Shantyworld

A Ranma Fanfic

With Gratuitous Cameos

By Bill Morse

Chapter 3

The Party

"Have I displeased you, Mistress? Am I being punished? Please let me know, please." Ichinose, the house cook, was normally a very good natured and indomitable little woman. Today she seemed frantic, almost terrified.

Kasumi smiled and shook her head. "Oh no, Ichinose, we love you, but everything has to be perfect for the guests tonight, and that does include the Lollygaggers."

"But they eat sewage!"

"Yes, but they're very picky about it, and you know how they worship Akane."

Ichinose nodded, as she silently cursed that void forsaken culinary data pack.

"Cooking with Akane" had started as one of Nabiki's jokes. She had taken security footage of her sister's desperate attempts at cooking, added narration and distributed it to the Lollygagger community. Much to everyone's surprise, especially Nabiki's, all of the copies sold out immediately. Word of the human prodigy had traveled through the Rimsides like wildfire and quickly to the rest of Doozy Sack. Even on nearby worlds, Akane had become the Lollygaggers' most popular icon.

Though reluctant to forgive her sister and not sure what to make of her "celebrity status", Akane could not deny that her "cookbooks" were responsible for over a quarter of the family income. While she was willing to help her family in any way, she still dreamed of creating dishes that could be appreciated by her own species.

Since rumors of a function catered by Akane Tendou guaranteed the attendance of every prominent member of the Lollygagger community, the rest of the Tendous hoped her fantasy would never come to pass, even if they had to fumigate the kitchen once a week.

"I'll make sure she doesn't do any damage, Mistress," Ichinose said meekly.

"Very good, then I won't hold you up any longer. You must have the kitchen ready as soon as possible. Akane will be here in an hour or so."

"Yes, Mistress," Ichinose whispered and trudged towards the kitchen. Kasumi returned her attention to her schedule.

- * - * - * - * - * -

"Well that's everything," Akane said, walking out of the last shop, her list in one hand and her pet piglet in the other. As much as she hated to admit it, clear weather was one of the best times to shop; there were never any crowds. Ranko walked behind her, staggering under the weight of six packages.

"I've never seen Old Man McCoy give up so much as a subcred. Where did you learn to haggle like that?" Akane asked.

"I wish I knew, Mistress," Ranko said from behind the packages.

Akane shrugged and looked around for their taxicab.

"Mistress?"

"What is it?"

"Would you have sold me to the Mayor's son if you could have?"

Void, she must think I'm in a good mood. "Don't worry, Ranko. If you had displeased me that much, I'd have had you shot first."

"Thank you, Mistress."

"The Void take, that shuffling fool left us here!" Akane shouted. The Lollygagger taxi driver was nowhere to be seen.

"I'm sure we can catch it on foot," Ranko muttered.

Akane ignored the jibe. Bad as lollygagger taxis were, one could not be choosy on a clear weather day. She had to be home soon. Kasumi was counting on her. "Come on, I know a short cut," she said, motioning for Ranko to follow her.

The short cut was a long alleyway that cut vertically from the Lazy Fair to the Rimsides. Normally Akane would avoid it even if the area were swarming with Peace Robots. It was a long dark cavern of houses with many places for some neer do well to hide. On a clear weather day, it was worth the chance. It was when they had gone half way through that Akane knew she had made a mistake.

"Going some where young Miss?" a voice from behind asked. Akane and Ranko turned slowly. She hated being wrong.

There were about ten of them, dressed in ragged cloaks, star goggles and floppy hats, standard clear weather gear. Akane glanced behind in hopes of seeing a chance of escape. Instead, even more toughs blocked the end of the alley.

The leader, dressed all in black, drew a crackling zapstick. "Two pretty girls like you, so sociable and pleasant should be more careful," he sneered as he sauntered towards them. Ranko dropped her parcels and assumed a defensive stance. Several of the men drew guns from out of their robes. The leader laughed hard. "Not a good idea, Little Miss, not a good idea at all," he said with a carnivorous grin. "We don't want a fight here. After all, there's a chance we might loose."

Akane watched as the others produced guns and zapsticks. She wondered if there was Peace Robot nearby. Screaming would attract them, of course, but so would gunfire either way it would be too late. Everything would all be over before the Peace Robots had a chance to neutralize anybody.

Before Akane could do anything Ranko pounced on the gang leader snarling. In one swift move she had taken the zapstick and sent him sprawling into a pile of trash. She was able to disarm two of the gunman before the rest of the gang members rushed and tackled her. Ranko struggled in vain to fend off the massive dog pile but slipped and fell. The rest of the gang aimed their guns as two more grabbed Akane.

This is not good, Akane thought as she watched one of the men stagger back from the pile spitting teeth. The only reason none of the others have fired yet is because they're afraid of hitting their comrades, and Ranko can't fend them off forever. There was only one thing to do. Something that she was praying she would only have to use as a last resort.

"P-Chan save us!" she shouted. The small black piglet leaped out of her arms into the air its eyes glowed a bright red. It landed on the ground squealing in rage, glowing a faint blue.

BOOM!!!!!!

The dark lenses of her star mask saved her eyes as the animal exploded in a blinding flash. When the light faded the pig was gone. Standing in a smoldering crater was a young man. He looked to be at least 16 dressed in a yellow tunic and green pants. P-Chan's Magnanimous Tiger bandana kept his shaggy hair out of his eyes. A long staff was strapped to his back. He cracked his knuckles and revealed long sharp fangs when he smiled.

Before anyone had a chance to react he struck the two of the men holding Akane in the face. They crumbled to the ground. In an instant, moving almost too fast to follow, he leaped on the pile of men attacking Ranko tossing them aside like rag dolls. Several of the gang members who were still armed drew their guns and shot at Akane.

The man leaped in front of Akane. Whipping his staff out from his back, he thrust it at his attackers. "SCARLET LIGHT SHIELD," he said in a dry monotone. Red light flared from the tip of the staff making it look for a second like a large red umbrella and it deflected the gun's fire with ease. The remaining gang members turned and ran.

"Ranko, let's get out of here, now." Akane said as she helped her servant pick up her packages.

"But Mistress."

"Now, Ranko."

Ranko grabbed the rest of the packages and followed Akane to the exit. She turned briefly to watch as the remaining gangsters ran off. The man made no effort to chase them. Pointing his hand in their direction and began to glow a bright blue. A glowing ball appeared floating in front of his open palm.

"ROARING LION BULLET," he said calmly. It flew from his hand and exploded as it hit its target.

Ranko looked in amazement as the man stood over his unconscious, twitching victims. Electricity began to arc around him.

"Hurry up, Ranko," Akane hissed grabbing her by the shoulder. Ranko turned and followed Akane. They stopped and hid behind a closed stall. A flash of white light came from the alleyway as the noise of a large explosion rocked the ground.

For a second it was quiet all of a sudden P-Chan darted out of the alleyway. He paused for a second looking around and ran off in another direction. "Shouldn't we catch him before he gets lost, Mistress?" she asked.

Akane said nothing as she got up and quietly walked away from the stall. Ranko had no choice but to follow. Behind her she could hear a frighteningly familiar humming sound. She glanced just long enough to see two Peace Robots and a carrier unit dart into the alleyway. "Don't look behind you," Akane whispered. Ranko turned her head forward and continued walking after her mistress. Neither said anything for the next half-hour. Only when they were within a half a kilometer from the Tendou Compound did Akane take a long breath of relief.

"That was too close," she said slowly. "The electromagnetic pulse, P-Chan's transformation causes, shuts down most of the smaller listening units, but you would have to be both blind and death to miss the commotion even a click away. P-Chan should be okay. His random direction generator will be running for at least forty-eight hours. Any one trying to chase him will be very frustrated to say the least. Still, you can never be too careful when Peace Robots are involved."

"Listening Units? I didn't know the Governors used anything besides Peace Robots."

"They don't."

"What?"

"There is no evidence the Governors have anything smaller then Peace Robots to maintain order," Akane said slowly, succinctly and loud enough for the entire neighborhood to hear her. "Oh, and Ranko?"

"Mistress?"

"I trust you know R.Y.O.U.G.A. units are illegal."

"Yes, Mistress."

"And the Tendous are a law abiding family."

"Yes, Mistress."

"That was my little P-Chan."

"Yes, Mistress."

- * - * - * - * - * -

Nabiki sat alone, in the dining room, making some final notes for the party as she finished her supper. Ever since she had received her specialized neural upgrades she preferred to eat alone. It was just more comfortable. Besides, it gave her the time to think.

Taking a bite of her vegetable curry she watched the guest list scroll down before her. She highlighted names she and began to prioritize those that were the most important. As she did, case histories and portraits came into view. Taking another bite of curry she downloaded all relevant information into her memory. She frowned took a sip of wine and ate some more curry. It was useful but still a bit sparse. "Give me the dirt file," she said out loud, with her mouth full, looking at files of five merchants she considered useful. More data filled the air.

Interesting, the merchant on the top of her list had been fighting ongoing rumors of pedophilia. It was convenient to have so much information available to verify these rumors. If negotiations became difficult she was sure the merchant would be happy to see it. The others on the list only had the usual skeletons that accompanied success. Nothing much really but with the right nudge here and there and people could become remarkably flexible.

"The Void take him!' she swore as she looked at the last merchant on the list. "How in the 10 systems does McCoy do it?" She had nothing on the old skinflint. "The fact every one thinks he's a total bastard isn't enough. I need proof!" She shouted. A symbol indicating insufficient data appeared over the table. Nabiki stared at it and sniffed in disgust "Oh well, won't be the first time I've had to get by on good looks," she muttered doubting if even that would work. One of the many unverified slanders she had on McCoy claimed he was a eunuch.

"Who else will be there? Any late arrivals Daddy and Kasumi may have invited on the spur of the moment?" Another list appeared, shorter but still quite impressive. "Well, well, well, the Minotaur fleet, how did I miss hearing about that one? It just shows how busy I've been this week. Put that on my priority list, this one can't get away. Give me a cultural overview with an emphasis on protocol. I don't want to get myself hurt over an unintentional faux pas." Nabiki gasped in pain as she suddenly memorized several tomes worth of history, literature, biology, language and xeno-sociology. "I can take this, I can take this," she whispered biting her lip so hard it bled. The sensation was akin to having a fully charged zapstick pressed to the back of her head. She collapsed on the table gasping for breath as the download finished. She gulped down the rest of her wine in an attempt to ease the pain. It was quite a bit to take in all at once. "Don't worry," she muttered as she refilled her glass and rubbed her forehead. "You can forget it all later."

"Alright, one last thing and then it's show time," she said with her mouth full of curry. "I need a list of possible gatecrashers. Not the riff raff, just the ones we can't afford to throw out." She studied the list and smiled with surprise. "Well, what do you know? Kunou-chan will be gracing us with his presence tonight, and he usually turns down our formal invitations. For what do we owe this honor?"

A detailed description of Akane's visit to the Kunou estate filled her mind. She smiled. "Akane-chan, you've been a very naughty girl. This promises to be a very interesting evening."

"Yotsoya, I'll be having my bath in ten minutes. Have everything ready," she said into the intercom. "Also, lay out an appropriate dress for the party, the one with the feathers I think, and painkillers, lots of painkillers."

Nabiki finished her curry, and washed it down with some wine. She leaned back, in her chair, digesting all of the raw data. "Daddy you may not know this, but you're a very ambitious man. And isn't it the duty of every daughter to fulfill her father's fondest dreams?"

- * - * - * - * - * -

-

The Star had finally set for the day much to the relief of everyone in the Rimsides. It was still clear and the sky was darker then usual. The white glare of the Star was replaced with the comforting blood red glow of Mama Prime. The Monitor had reported that clouds were beginning to gather and soon Doozy Sack would return to its usual level of gloom. The streets were remarkably active for this hour, as people, desperately tried to make up for the time that they had lost avoiding the Star's piercing brightness, tried to finish a myriad of chores. The noise of the crowds nearly drowned out the distant rumble of the fleets landing in the Northport.

The traffic coming down from the Gentryways to the Rimsides was unusually thick as hundreds of members of the rich and important headed towards the Tendou family townhouse. This was understandable. The Tendou function had been the talk of the town for many weeks. Kasumi had a reputation for planning the finest parties around. Her table was always superb (with the exception of dishes aimed at other species, but that, of course, was intended). This in itself was incentive to go, but there were other reasons to come. Most importantly this was the perfect opportunity to talk about certain matters quietly and under the table. The presence of the Imperial Fleets and all of the ships, both mercenary and mercantile, was a golden opportunity for everyone, but the level of success was dependent on how well everyone planned ahead. Oh yes, and of course it was a proper to wish the youngest Tendou a happy birthday and a good coming of age.

The party was already beginning to pick up and only half of the guests had arrived. Anyone who was any one was there. Kasumi had thought of everything. The food, dancing, and entertainment were magnificent. The current performance consisted of a quintet of human females singing what had been described as first generation folksongs from the human home world.

Kasumi looked over her work as she greeted the guests one by one. She smiled at the satisfaction of a job well done. As usual, everything was perfect. In fact, she had just one problem.

"Kyouko, I was sure I asked you to tell the band not to play that song."

"Which song, Mistress?"

The one they're playing now, It's so annoying, and what's worse you can't get it out of your head after you've heard it once."

"Oh, 'Don't Make Me Wild Like You,' Mistress Akane requested it specifically. She said it was her favorite."

"Oh did she?" Kasumi muttered. Akane needed an opportunity to rebel. It might as well be tonight. "Oh well, the guests seem to enjoy it, and I liked the song they did about the red shoes. We may have to book them again."

"I'll make a note of that, Mistress. You know there's something familiar about them."

"Really? I don't see that at all. Have you seen Akane? She should be here helping me greet our guests."

"Here she comes now, Mistress."

Akane walked through the crowd with Ranko close behind her. She gave a polite nod to everyone who wished her congratulations as she passed by. She was dressed in a long sleeved red dress with a high collar. It was a welcome change from the soot suit she had walked out of the kitchen in hours before.

"Good evening, Akane-chan, you look lovely tonight," Kasumi said as Akane stopped next to her.

"I am not going to enjoy myself." Akane said, as she adjusted her collar. She did not like formal wear at all.

Kasumi paused between greeting the seemingly endless stream of guests and stared at her sister. "Why, Akane-chan, how can you say that? This is your night, after all."

"No it's not, Kasumi, and you know it." Akane grumbled "If this was my night it would just be the four of us with cake and candles."

"There, your sense of humor is returning already, you'll have a wonderful time, I can tell. Just enjoy yourself and bask in the admiration."

"Will any of my admirers walk on two legs?" Akane asked sarcastically.

"Too many, I'm afraid," Kasumi said glancing towards the Atrium. Kunou had just entered the house with his servant, Sasuke, following close behind with a large bundle of flowers. He had a noticeable bruise on his jaw from where Ranko had hit him that morning. For some reason he had not allowed anyone to repair the damage. Considering Kunou's vanity this was a surprise. Perhaps scars caused by loved ones were fashionable these days.

Behind him was a beautiful girl a year younger then Kunou. She was tall for her age Her long black hair was tied in a ponytail. Her green, catlike eyes pierced through everything. She was dressed in a green evening dress covered with a black rose. Kasumi recognized her having attended the Kunou function for the girl's coming of age, the youngest child of the Mayor Kunou, Kodachi.

"Ah The Tendou sisters. Kasumi and the fair and lovely Akane! I am able to bask in your presence yet again. You both know my sister?"

"Of course, Lord Kunou. Kodachi, I'm delighted to see you again." Kasumi said to the younger Kunou.

"Of course you are," Kodachi said responding as if Kasumi had said that the sky was dark gray.

"When I heard of your terrible ordeal today, I knew I would have to come here to comfort you."

"What ordeal are you talking about, Lord Kunou?" Akane asked. She wondered how Kunou knew about the fight in the alleyway.

Kunou looked at Akane, he quickly saw that she showed no signs of injury or distress, only puzzlement. He turned and glared at Sasuke who shrugged helplessly. Growling, he grabbed the flowers from Sasuke and handed the flowers to Akane. "You must take these with my regards and congratulations."

Kasumi turned to Kunou, smiling. "You flatter us and you have our thanks for your gifts. I'm sure Akane will love them and be pleased to talk with you over the night." She motioned for Akane to stay silent. Akane, who was planning a few choice words, bit her tongue and obeyed.

"I am truly honored, Lady Kasumi. If it would not trouble you, your sister mentioned that I could talk to you regarding the purchase of an item." He glanced at Ranko who was still standing next to Akane. Ranko moved behind her in effort to be more inconspicuous.

Kasumi frowned. "For shame Lord Kunou, discussing such things at a party? That's very rude. Book an appointment with my assistant, and we'll talk then. "

"But I am."

"Kunou!" Kunou turned to see their father stride towards them. "It's so good to see you, young man! How is your father?" He shook Kunou's hand vigorously. "I'm always glad when the Mayors are able to take time from their busy schedules and visit those who serve them loyally. Come! We have so much to talk about!"

Kodachi watched as her brother was dragged away by his overly gracious host. "That was interesting, my brother can be quite excitable at times."

"I'm sure it keeps life from getting too boring," Kasumi said pleasantly.

"Indeed, I doubt that your father will let him get a word in edgewise for the entire night. Anyway I thank you for hospitality and I am sure that I will enjoy this night." Kodachi said and left to mingle with the crowd.

"I am glad, Lady," Kasumi as she watched Kodachi walk away.

"Thank you, Kasumi, I was worried about that," Akane said, breathing a sigh of relief.

Akane was about to say something else when a small tentacle tugged on her dress. She looked down to see a small Lollygagger looking up at her and holding a copy of "Cooking With Akane" in its manipulator tentacles. "Shiihhnnnn?" it asked plaintively.

Akane rolled her eyes in exasperation. Just once she wanted to tell a Lollygagger to take a shuffle into the Void, but when she looked into all four of those adoring black eyes, at least this bothered to learn a few words of the human tongue. "All right, but just this once." As if by some invisible signal she suddenly found herself surrounded by Lollygaggers waving brand new copies of the latest edition.

Kasumi watched as the Lollygaggers herded Akane to the far corner of the room. "I think it would be a good idea if you took the rest of the night off, Ranko," she said calmly.

"But, Mistress he. . "

"Don't worry, Akane told me everything," Kasumi said cutting Ranko short, "and I am not going to punish you for following my orders. I won't hear any more of it, you've had a very busy day. The rest of the bondservants will be having a party of their own. It will give you the opportunity to meet everyone."

"But suppose something happens."

Kasumi laughed, "don't worry, Ranko. Nothing is going to happen here." She pointed towards the vestibule to prove her point.

Just beyond where Mr. Tendou was talking with Kunou stood a man who appeared to be made entirely out of chrome. "Peace Robots," she whispered.

"Exactly, now off you go. Have a good time, you've earned it."

"Thank you, Mistress." Ranko said beaming, and ran off towards the servants' quarters.

Kasumi smiled. "Kyouko, In case Lord Kunou asks, I regrettably seem to be booked solid for the next few months. Give him the usual story; he always seems to accept it."

- * - * - * - * - * -

Nabiki stood just outside of the crowd planning her attack. At the same time she tried to stay as far away from the buffet tables as possible. For Nabiki it was a tough decision to decide which was more disgusting, the special diet tables (most notably the table that Akane had prepared for the Lollygaggers, or the table with human food. "If they don't stop eating soon, I'll die of boredom," she muttered to herself.

At the moment the only thing interesting her was the group of Minotaurs s standing in the far corner of the gallery drinking. There were four of them, three cows and a bull. It was the bull that impressed her the most. He was over three meters tall, solid muscle covered from head to hoof in long fur. His gilded horns glistened against the lights. Tiny white wings stuck out of his back. They were obviously either surgical, or cybernetic, attachments meant only for cosmetic purposes. The only way they could possibly work was if he was hiding a grav-harness underneath all of that fur. She had seen pictures of this one before. There were several hundred megabytes of data dedicated to him in her briefing. Herdmaster Tarou, first admiral of the Consolidated Minotaur Alliance.

"Looks like the Camp followers are beginning to show," she muttered to herself. The Minotaurs were not the first mercenary fleet to arrive on Doozy Sack, but they were definitely the largest. It could be worse, she thought. I haven't heard any rumors of the Federated Planetary Fleet participating in this one. If I have to negotiate with that pompous windbag, Admiral Pikirk, over docking privileges one more time.

Nabiki watched the Herdmaster discuss something with hisa human attendant. She waited for a lull in the conversation and walked over to introduce herself.

- * - * - * - * - * -

"I confess that you will have to forgive me. I had my doubts when you offered to run the bar concessions. I was so behind schedule that I didn't even have time to listen to bids. But you're done a wonderful job. I'm very pleased," Kasumi said pleasantly to the Tengu bartender.

"The female human, Kak! Should not worry, Kak! This one knows he has no reputation, Kak! At least not in this venture, Kak! This one eternally grateful that the female human, Kak! Gave this one the opportunity to prove himself, Kak!" Polly bobbed his head in an expression of thanks and admiration.

"There is no need to thank me, Polly. I always enjoy helping friends. I must say that I was surprised when I found you were expanding into catering. I was sure you had all your claws stuck in the Glass House Saloon," Kasumi said using one of the Tengu's favorite expressions.

"The female human speaks many truths, Kak! This one does indeed have much work to do, Kak! But does the female human know what they say, Phrik? If one not run, jump and hunt, Kak! One die, Kak!"

"That is very wise, Polly. I do see your point. I just wanted to extend my thanks before the end of the party."

"This one accepts the female human's gratitude, Kak! As it is intended, Kak! Now the female human must forgive this one, Kak! This one must leap, Kak! Before his unworthy assistants start to water down drinks, Kak!" Polly shook his head in an expression of apology and haste, turned and bolted through the crowd

Kasumi wiped the perspiration from her forehead watching Polly run back to the bar and reassert his dominance among his assistants. She had forgotten how many people she had greeted this evening. It felt like over a thousand. She had just finished talking with the last couple when she saw one of the flagged people on Nabiki's list. It was one of the people she had privately hoped would not show up.

"Why hello, Mr. Heron," she said politely. "I'm so glad that you could make it."

"Heron" was not his real name. It was merely the one he preferred for polite society. He used many names and, even though it had been one of Nabiki's pet projects for many years, no one had ever discovered the real one. The most common name that was used on the streets was Fisherman. The Fisherman was, Kasumi struggled to think of a polite and appropriate way to describe him, scum. Yes, that's right, she thought, the Fisherman was scum.

More accurately the Fisherman was an agent for mercenaries of the cheapest variety. To be blunt he specialized in cannon fodder. He did most of his work in and around the Freeport intercepting the poor and starving just off the ships and wooing them with dreams of wealth and glory. If it weren't for the huge fee he was willing to pay Nabiki for port use, Kasumi would have refused to let him into the house. There were rumors that he didn't even bother asking people in most cases. More then one beggar or drunk had disappeared in the Rimsides. There was no way of linking this with the man who sometimes jokingly reffered to himself as "Death's Pimp".

The Fisherman smiled at her lie and kissed her hand. "Why good evening Kasumi. You look absolutely radiant today."

Kasumi touched her cheek feeling slightly flush for a second. She had never actually met the Fisherman close up. She was expecting something a bit more hideous, something that fit the image of the demon of the ports that everyone described. The man who stood in front of her was much too handsome. He was immaculately dressed, tall and muscular. Neatly cut red hair with flecks of gray framed a weathered but expressive face. Silver eyes winked at her suggesting rugged charm and experience.

If only he didn't show quite so many teeth when he smiled.

"Why, thank you Mr. Heron. You flatter me. You are welcome in this house, and the pleasures of our table are yours. Please enjoy yourself. I'm sure Nabiki will want to talk to you as soon as possible."

The Fisherman smiled again. "Why, Kasumi, you cut yourself short. What makes you think I don't want to talk to you? Your younger sister stands in the shadows, a mere puppeteer. You, however, stand in the light and even the Star's rays cannot burn you. You are what people think of when they think of the Tendous and that makes you the true power."

Kasumi shook her head frowning slightly. "Do people think I'm that naive, Mr. Heron? I'm hurt."

"A grievous error on my part I'm sure, dear lady. I promise you that when I catch the scoundrel who has been perpetuating such vile slanders I will bring his tongue to you as a token of my respect."

"I don't think that will be necessary, Mr. Heron. Please enjoy yourself."

"I will, Kasumi, I will. If you will do me the honor later, when you have the time, it would be a pleasure and an honor to dance with you."

Kasumi looked into the Fisherman's deep silver eyes. For a moment she was almost fooled. For a moment she saw a handsome and charming older man, not the scheming amoral bastard. It only lasted a moment. Still as Mistress of the House she had to entertain everyone even those that angels would despise "The honor would be all mine, Mr. Heron," she said with a forced smile.

- * - * - * - * - * -

"Pantyhose?" Nabiki asked again.

"When he bought me, the lord Herd-Master Tarou was informed it was a prestigious and honorable human name," the boy said. Nabiki looked up at the Huge Minotaur bull, and wondered what sort of sick, deviated freak would have the chutzpah to tell 500 kilos of angry beef something like that.

She returned her attention to the boy. He was handsome. Void, for a night with a body like that she would have paid Ganymede three times the normal fee. His arrogant smile impressed her. You're a right bastard and you know it, she thought to herself as she scanned his neural interface.

"So . . . . . Pantyhose, which of the," A loud roar from the Herdmaster interrupted her train of thought. Several guests looked up from their drinks wondering what was going on. Nabiki struggled to force back a shudder. Tarou glared down at her, gnashing his teeth and blowing steam from his.

The boy crossed his arms and grinned. "You will speak to the Lord Herd-Master Tarou, I am merely his intermediary," he had the amazing ability to turn almost everything he said into a sneer as if to say "I may be the bondservant of an alien monster but you are nothing."

Nabiki looked up at the clearly irritated beast and cleared her throat. She was quite aware of the proper formalities. She also knew that with surgically installed translation units, the need for a human translator was pointless. It was a matter of proper decorum. Most imperials and almost imperials did not like to admit to knowing any of the lesser barbarian tongues. The trick was when someone believed that you were inferior it was a good idea to allow them their fantasies. In the long run it made them underestimate you. "Please forgive me, Lord Tarou, I merely wished to know which fleet you honored by taking their money."

The Minotaur rumbled in what could have been a chuckle and moaned shaking his head.

"So far we have taken money from no one," Pantyhose said waving to her to maintain her eye contact with Tarou, "We are proud to say that the bidding will be furious and those that buy our loyalty will surely be blessed with victory.

Nabiki nodded. The Minotaurs were not an imperial species, but they were close, very close. Their success depended on the outcome of the war. Either they would earn enough capital to climb to the next level or they could exploit a potential power vacuum. Either way they were up and coming and not to be trifled with.

"When will the bidding take place?" she asked.

"Sadly, the imperials are not considering contracts until their entire force has arrived in port. Since barely a quarter of the fleets has arrived, it will be a month at least. We don't worry. Our people are nothing if not patient. It will give us the time to prepare the contract we will honor with blood."

"Admirable," Nabiki said impressed, "I'm sure the fleet that buys your loyalty will be eternally grateful. If you need any favors done while you await the inevitable. Please let me know. "

- * - * - * - * - * -

-

"I can't tell you how glad I am to see you tonight, Young Lord. These are exciting times, and the support of the mayors is very important." Soun Tendou said as he dragged a confused Tatiwaki Kunou through the crowd of guests.

"Honored sir, I was hoping I could discuss the purchase of a bondservant, the girl with the pigtail, if you are willing."

"That's more in Kasumi's department. I'm sure she'll be glad to discuss it with you. Right now we have more important things to discuss. I'm sure you have met Shutaru Mendou?" Soun pointed towards a handsome young man dressed in white.

Shutaro Mendou was the only son of the Lady Mayor Mendou. Kunou did indeed know him. In fact their rivalry had gone on for years. Appropriate considering they were heirs to two of the prime powers in the Rimsides. Kunou had always found the younger man arrogant, egotistical, and more than a little vain. Mendou, Kunou had said to himself more then once, was nothing but trouble.

"Yes, of course I know him. Shutoro, It's good to see you again," Kunou lied politely.

Mendou nodded. "The pleasure is all mine Tatiwaki," he replied.

"It is good to have you both here," Soun said happily. "If I can not speak to the mayors their children and confidants are the next best thing. I thought I saw young Sanzenin a while back but I can't find him anywhere. "

"He's hunting, and when he hunts he's be no use whatsoever." Mendou commented.

"Not that he ever is anyway," Kunou added.

"Yes. I'm sure you're right," Soun said stroking his mustache. "It's probably just as well. You two do represent the larger houses. Sanzenin will hear what goes on here sooner or later. First things first. Have you noticed any changes since the fleets' arrival?"

"Yes, so far thirty percent of our revenue has gone down due to the increased number of Peace Robots on the streets. I think it will be that way for the next few months," Mendou said before Kunou had a chance to get a word in edgewise.

"That was my impression as well," Soun agreed.

"Indeed. Why, just today I lost a cadre of my best men to those mechanical monsters," Kunou said trying to seem just as impressive as Mendou.

"That is a shame, Lord Kunou," Soun said in sympathy. "Tell me what did that many men do to arouse their ire?"

"Well . . ." Kunou stammered, "to tell the truth, sir I haven't been informed of all the details." He grimaced as Mendou raised an eyebrow questioning his story. Curse these two for making him look like a fool.

"You have my sympathies, Young Lord. I can assure you both, the Peace Robot's damage will be compensated quite quickly. My daughter's current surveys of the Lazy Fair have shown revenues going up over 12 percent from the presence of fleet personnel. Imagine how much things will improve once the entire fleet lands."

"It will make for a very large golden goose." Mendou said slowly. Kunou, not sure what Mendou meant, nodded in agreement.

"My thoughts exactly, Young Lord, and we will be there with the knife. Quite a few Mercenary ships have already arrived and several Freetraders of note will be landing in my port tomorrow. I have docking contracts with the Slave of Duty, The Orca, The Jokutzuko, and The Dublin Beyond. Young lords, we are heading into an economic boom. The secret to success is who gets to exploit it first."

"This is very useful, Master Tendou," Kunou said, finally managing to get a drop on Mendou. "It is good of you to share this information."

"It helps to know who ones friends are, young lords," Soun Tendou said with a smile.

- * - * - * - * - *

-

"Well, look who's here. Miki-chan, it's been so long." Mikado Sanzenin, only son of the Mayor Sanzenin, turned to see Nabiki standing beside him. She did look absolutely stunning in the tight golden feathered dress she was wearing. He had to think about the future and could not concern himself with previous conquests.

"Greetings, Nabiki Tendou with your sweet fair sister coming of age, how could I miss such an occasion? Why, when she and I meet, I will finally reach my goal."

Nabiki feigned puzzlement for a minute. "Your goal?" Realization flashed over her face. She pouted and draped her arms over his shoulders. "Oh Miki-chan, I thought you gave up that silly game when you had me. After all, when one has walked the road of heaven why in the world would he ever wish to return to the dirt?"

Mikado looked across the room where Akane could be seen signing autographs for a mob of Lollygaggers. "My thoughts exactly, Nabiki Tendou, my thoughts exactly."

-* - * - * - * - * -

The song that had just started was titled "Boyfriend." Kasumi hoped that was not someone's idea of a joke. If it was, she did not find it funny. "Thank you Mr. Heron. That was lovely," she said backing away.

"But Kasumi, this is a slow dance," The Fisherman protested.

"Yes, my point exactly, Mr. Heron. Now, if you would excuse me I have neglected my duties long enough, good night to you sir."

The Fisherman watched Kasumi walk away. Someone tapped him on the shoulder. He turned to see a fairly irate Nabiki standing behind him with her arms crossed.

"Why, Nabiki, you look ravishing tonight. Why, had I only known what a beautiful woman you've turned out to be, I would surely have been the first to . . . "

"Stow it, Angler. What in the Void's name was that all about?" Nabiki was obviously in no mood for gay banter.

"Why what is anything about? People come to a party to be entertained. It is the core of our culture."

"Angler, contrary to your fixed beliefs, you're not as smart, or as funny, as you think. What in the Void were you trying to pull with my sister? Let me guess. You were using some of your old lines. 'Oh Kasumi you are the true power of this house'; 'I will find who slandered you'; or, my personal favorite, 'the Star's rays cannot burn you'"

The Fisherman smiled, "you should give your sister more credit, Nabiki. She didn't fall for any of that even though this time I meant every word. She is a special lady."

"She has suitors you know."

"Oh? Like the doctor, over there dancing with a skeleton and giggling hysterically?"

Nabiki looked to see who the Fisherman was talking about and sniffed in disgust." All right, you're obviously here for more then free food and easy women. What do you want?"

"Why, Nabiki, Isn't that enough in Life?" Nabiki gave him a look that made him stop thinking of any more jokes for the rest of the evening. "In fact, there is something I want to discuss with you. You are aware, of course, that the Slave of Duty should be arriving here within the week?"

"The Freetrader? Of course, they're one of our larger contracts."

"Quite right. You see I have an arrangement regarding a very special cargo. I am going to be their port agent for distributing this cargo. The profits are going to be phenomenal, but everything has to go just right with no complications."

"Ah, I see. I'm sure I can help you somehow. For, say, 25 percent of gross profits."

"25 percent? What in the void do you take me for Nabiki?"

"I'm sorry, Angler, was that a 'Don't be ridiculous Nabiki, take 40?'"

"I believe it was 30, Nabiki."

Nabiki raised an eyebrow. "You're off your game today, Angler. You must be sitting on a potential goldmine. Oh well, what's money between friends? 30 it is. See me in my office at the standard time and we'll work out the details. Now, if you'll excuse me there are still some innocents out there that I've missed. Good night, Angler." She turned and walked away. The Fisherman watched her weave expertly through the crowds. He turned to watch Kasumi talking with guests.

"They both want me. I can tell." He said with a smile.

- * - * - * - * - * -

-

The freetrader's name was Belldandy and Kasumi liked her immediately. She was a beautiful young woman with long gray hair tied in a number of ribbons. Tattoos on her forehead and cheekbones accentuated her exotic appearance. She had a smile that could light up any room.

"It's really just a coincidence we're here the same time as the fleets" She said matter of factly. "But, with any luck it will help us get some cargo here and maybe some new clients. "I'm afraid we don't have much of a ship, but. . . " "

"Onnesama how can you say that!" the freetrader was interrupted by a girl standing next to her. She stood a head shorter then the freetrader. She had long black hair and similar tattoos. She seethed with indignation. "The Benpai is a great ship! It's the best!"

Belldandy smiled sweetly. "Yes, Skuld-chan, the Benpai is a wonderful ship but unfortunately it can only hold ten tons of cargo. With a capacity that small we have to be very picky about our contracts , and that does make business difficult."

"If you would please forgive my sister, Lady. As our engineer, Skuld is very protective of our vessel." Belldandy said turning to Kasumi.

"I take good care of it," Skuld said proudly.

"Oh my, and so young. You must be very talented to have such a hard job." Kasumi said very impressed.

"I'm fifteen years, subjective." Skuld said proudly, not entirely sure if she was being patronized.

Belldandy smiled at her sister and continued. "Anyway, due to our limitations, we've been getting by shipping exotic perishables. It has good returns but it is fairly risky. We've been able to branch out a bit with data exchange and shipping artwork. It has been a slow process but I am proud to say that we are able to break even but very little more. With any luck we should be able to afford a larger ship in a year or so. "

"That's wonderful," Kasumi said cheerfully. "I wish you two the best of luck. You should be able to find lots of potential opportunities now. "

Belldandy frowned. "Unfortunately that is a bit of the problem. It's a buyers market right now. I don't see how we will be able to negotiate a good contract for our services, or even find cargo of value that the larger ships will buy up immediately. What's worse is we are also looking for crew right now. How will we be able to find skilled hands at our price range?"

"I hate to even suggest this," Kasumi said frowning, "but there are certain possibilities that I'm sure that my sister, Nabiki can help you with."

Belldandy turned pale. "Oh no, Lady, not that. Right now our reputation is our most important commodity. Everything has to be completely above board. Our credit depends on it."

"That is good, I'd like to help you really I would. Give me a few days to work on the problem and we can talk about some legitimate ideas."

* - * - * - * - * -

"Because, dear boy, Lady Kasumi said that we could all have the night off and we are celebrating the arrival of our colleague, the lovely Miss Ranko. You do want her to feel welcome, don't you?" Yotsoya said eyeing Godai skeptically.

"All right, I can understand that. What I want to know is why are you doing it in my quarters?" Godai demanded, waving a datapad in Yotsoya's face.

"Because you have the biggest room of course." Yotsoya answered unfazed by Godai's tirade.

"This is ridiculous! If I don't finish Master Tendou's report by tomorrow he'll have my hide." Godai stammered.

"Should we be doing this?" Ranko asked the red headed woman sitting next to her drinking.

"Sure! It's not a problem!" The woman laughed. "This happens all the time. We're just giving him a legitimate excuse to screw up. Trust me girl, he should thank us."

"Akemi, what have I told you about putting ideas like that into people's heads?" Kyouko asked. She had just entered the room carrying a plate of food. "Godai, you can work in my room if you like."

"No Kyouko, I can't. If I surrender, they'll walk all over me," Godai explained, almost whining.

Kyouko smiled. "You're not surrendering, dear, you're following my orders. Now come along, the staff has too enjoy themselves once in a while, it's good for morale."

"But Kyouko."

"Please, Godai, for me." Godai dropped his shoulders and followed Kyouko out of the room. Everyone laughed as they left the room. Ranko looked around in shocked confusion as the party started in full force. Ranko had not gotten the opportunity to meet any of her fellow servants. She had finally remembered their names. The man dancing with a sake bottle in his mouth was Yotsoya. The other two men sitting in the corner drinking slowly but saying nothing were Mistress Nabiki's bodyguards Goeman and Jiigan. The women were Akemi and Ichinose. Ichinose was the last to arrive shaken by some trauma that occurred earlier that afternoon. Now after several drinks, she was back to her old self, doing some sort of bizarre fan dance with Yotsoya.

"So Ranko-Chan, how old are you?" Akemi asked putting her arm around Ranko's shoulder, and refilling her glass.

"I don't know, about 16, I guess," Ranko said hesitantly taking a slow sip.

"No, no, no, girlfriend I mean how long have you lived." Akemi asked a little annoyed.

"I just said, for sixteen.... Oh, for about a week," Ranko said finally getting the older girl's meaning.

"Oh you poor thing, to have been around for such a short time and to have seen so much. " Ichinose said sitting down next to Ranko. "It must be very confusing for you. Did they give you anything to work with?"

"Work with?" Ranko asked puzzled.

"That would be a 'no' then," Yotsoya broke in. "What they mean, dear girl, is there are different degrees how the Peace Robots edit your mind, Sometimes you are actually allowed to keep your memories. However, you have no attachment to them whatsoever. It's as if it happened to another person. Sometimes it did. I find it very convenient to have all the memories of my daring escapades as a rake and a swashbuckler in over a hundred systems. "

"Would you stop it. None of that ever happened to you and you know it," Akemi jumped in. It was clearly an old argument between the two.

"They did indeed, dear lady, I did some research, and I have proof that everything I discussed is true."

"Without a fact you mean. What you have is a bunch of subcred fiction packets," Ichinose growled. "Still, you have to wonder what you were. I'm sure I was notorious. I'm sure some of us have even killed," she said eyeing Jiigen and Goeman. They remained said nothing, but Goeman gave Ichinose a piercing stare. She swallowed and continued. "The fact is, who or what, any of us were is anyone's guess. I don't think there's anyone here who remembers their entire life."

"Kyouko does," Akemi said taking another drink from her bottle. The room went silent. Akemi looked around realizing that everyone was staring at her. She grinned, putting her hand behind her neck in embarrassment. "Look at the time, please, forget I said that, Ranko-chan."

"Why? Why would anyone care if. . . ."

"Hello, I'm back. Is everyone having a good time?" Kyouko asked as she entered the room. No one said anything they just stared at Kyouko looking rather guilty.

"A magnificent time, Miss Kyouko and I think that I speak for everyone here when I say that." Yotsoya said breaking the silence. Everyone nodded hastily in agreement.

"That's good. I have good news though. The hot tub is free for the rest of the night if anyone wants to use it. Ranko, since you're new here, I thought that you might like to have the first turn."

- * - * - * - * - * -

Akane sighed in relief as she signed the last cookbook. That much love and devotion could take quite a bit out of you after a while. All the talk about cooking (even hers) made her hungry. She headed for the buffet table.

At the moment, two Oni, a male and a female dominated the table. The male was tall and extremely handsome with green hair. He was dressed in the yellow tiger striped body suit of the Magnanimous Tiger. The female's hair was pink. She wore a red Gentle Orchid uniform. Both were officers.

Oni at the party did not surprise her. There were always a few imperials at these functions. Most claimed it was a way to see how the other half lived or similar nonsense. With both the Oni and Jurai fleets in port the number of the imperials wandering the Rimsides for entertainment had nearly tripled. She had seen others at the party this evening. One was from a clan that she did not recognize with long white hair and dog like ears in the middle of a shouting match with a human female. She had seen several Jurai as well. So far there had been no fights, but of course, with a Peace Robot present, they had no choice.

Akane thought that she had seen the Gentle Orchid Officer before. A friend of Lum's perhaps? She stood at a distance to listen to them talk. Having spent so much time with Lum-Sempai over the years, she had learned Oni without the help of enhancements. Since she had enhancements anyway, she spoke like a native. Not that she would tell anyone outside of the family.

For a second she wanted to just walk up and ask if either of them if they knew of Lum's whereabouts. She immediately thought better of it. Lum had taught her that as wonderful as trust was it could be a dangerous thing at times. Lum had also taught her that the Gentle Orchid were anything but. She decided to listen at a distance.

< Well, looks like we have a long wait ahead of us, > the Gentle Orchid officer said. < I do not envy the paper pushers at all. To spend ones life itemizing everything in triplicate, I don't know how they stay sane. >

The Magnanimous Tiger grunted his mouth was full of food and he slowly kept shoveling more of it in.

<Yes I will agree with you there. They probably haven't been sane for quite a while. Those who would rather crunch data then spill blood have so little to live for. >

The Magnanimous Tiger shrugged. < When do we get to fight? > He asked.

< When the Governors say so. Of course, considering the rumors that have been going around, who knows? >

< Anyone know what the battlefield will be? >

<From what I've heard it will be forty thousand units above Fatima's Well. Close enough that if any ships are disabled they will be sucked in. The actual field is probably around five hundred square units. It should be enough room to cause some damage. Of course with a grid that size there will be at least ten monitors watching, so we will have to behave ourselves. How I hate a proper war. >

< Not that you know anything else>

< Oh shut up. Nobody asked you. > The Gentle Orchid grumbled.

Akane coughed, having choked on her wine. Both Oni turned in unison staring at her.

"I trust we were not bothering you little one." The Gentle Orchid asked, with a touch of sarcasm.

"Oh no, Sempai. I just had something in my throat," Akane said quickly. "Please forgive me, Sempai."

"Of course you did. But please, where are my manners? I should introduce myself first. That is your custom is it not? Yes, of course it is. I am Wing Commander Ran of the Gentle Orchid Clan. My companion is Captain Rei, military intelligence, of the Magnanimous Tiger Clan.

"Food good," Rei said, his mouth full of grilled lizard.

< I can't take you anywhere can I? > Ran hissed at him. She turned to Akane and giggled.

Akane swallowed nervously. Some people were not meant to giggle. She recognized Ran now. Lum had mentioned her as a good friend. While Lum had not said anything bad about Ran, Ran had seemed to have frequently gotten the short end of the stick in many a childhood adventure. And if other Oni obsessed the way Lum did . . . "I am honored to know you, Ran Sempai. My name is Akane Tendou and you are welcome in my house. I hope you are enjoying yourself at my party." She said bowing.

"Akane Tendou? I am sure I know you from somewhere from somewhere." Akane swallowed as she watched Ran stroke her chin in contemplation. Ran smiled sweetly. As the smile broadened her fangs became frightenly apparent. "Oh yes. You are Lum's pet are you not? She asked.

"I, I'm sure she has many, Sempai," Akane said slowly.

"Oh no. Other then you, and her precious Darling, she hardly speaks of anyone on this void forsaken dust ball. You should be flattered."

"I'm a good girl, Sempai." Akane did not like where this was going.

"Yes, and now you are a woman," Ran said smiling, "And just so cute I could kiss you."

< Ran, no. > Rei said holding Rei by the shoulder. < Impediments. > He nodded towards the Peace Robot standing across the room.

Ran followed his glance staring at the silver humanoid for a minute. She giggled showing her toothy smile. "I am delighted to have met you Akane-chan. I am sure we will see lots of each other."

- * - * - * - * - * -

"Are you happy here?" Kyouko asked as she slowly washed Ranko's back.

Ranko said nothing. For some reason she could not understand she had been utterly obsessed her hands and stared at them whenever she thought no one was watching. They were so small. But of course they were. She thought about Kyouko's question for some time. "Happy? I don't know. Should I be? I don't have any comparison."

Kyouko shrugged. "I don't know, really I don't. It's just that it's been my experience that if we have enough free will to wonder about it, things go better. I believe some free will is important at least so that we can ask why."

Ranko poured a bucket of water over herself. "I wouldn't know. To be completely honest, the only thing I can judge for certain is this week. Everything else is so fuzzy. I know things, of course, but I don't know why and then other things come out of nowhere and I can't understand them at all." She turned and looked at Kyouko. "Akemi said that you were the only member of the staff who was not born again."

"Oh, did she?" Kyouko looked as though she was planning a long talk with Akemi.

"What's it like to know everything about your life?"

"Painful," Kyouko said looking at the bathroom tiles.

"Kyouko? Can I ask you another question?"

"Go ahead."

"Why do you look so much like Lady Kasumi?"

Kyouko turned her head and muttered something.

"I'm sorry?"

"Vanity Cloning," Kyouko repeated.

"What's that?" Ranko asked very curious.

"It was a fad twenty years ago for anyone who wanted a child or a servant who looked just like them. In the Tendous case they wanted their children to have a playmate their own age. I was made from their combined DNA two years before Kasumi was conceived. It worked out fairly well. I got promoted as time passed."

Kyouko paused. "I've been summoned," she said. "You'll have to finish without me. Enjoy your soak." She put her robe on and left the bathroom.

Ranko stared at the door thinking. Finally, she turned and looked at the Bathtub, it looked so enticing. She could not remember having the luxury of getting immersed in hot water but it seemed wonderful. Slowly she climbed in.

Her leg began to spasm the instant it touched the water. She lost her balance and fell in completely. She gasped for breath as she thrashed in agony. It was as if every cell in her body was on fire. For some reason she was unable to scream. Hyperventilating she tried to climb out of the tub get away from the pain. Her heart was beating so hard it felt it would burst through her chest. For a moment her attention turned to her right hand. Through her pain instilled stupor she noticed something strange. With all of her strength she was able to hold her hand up in front of her. With horrified fascination, she watched as it began to grow.