Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Sob of the Breeze ❯ The Girl in the Shadows ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

This idea came to me originally from a thread that bounced around for a few

days on the FFML. It was blissfully short but it got me thinking. As always, all characters are the properties of Ms. Rumiko Takahashi. So without further ado, Montanto Productions is proud to present.

Sob of the Breeze

A Ranma Fanfic

By Bill Morse

"There is a fatality, a feeling so irresistable and inevitable that it has the force of doom which almost invariably compels human beings to linger around and haunt, ghostlike, the spot where some great and marked event which has given the color to their lifetime; and still the more irresistibly, the darker the tinge that saddens it.

Nathaniel Hawthorne

Chapter 1

The Girl in the Shadows

The light of the afternoon sun shone though the branches of a pine tree casting shadows into the sitting room of the Tendo Dojo. If one looked carefully they could almost make out the shape of a young girl.

Akane watched Nabiki, Kasumi and their two houseguests, the girl, Ranma, and a large panda bear, waited for their father, Soun Tendo, to recover from his fainting spell. Their younger brother, Kiri, sat in the corner staring intently at Ranma.

"Oh dear, Father looks so upset," Kasumi fussed as she replaced the wet towel on her father's forehead.

"He's upset?" Nabiki demanded, "This is all your fault, Daddy. What sort of fiancé is this?"

I don't understand. Saotome said he had a son!" Soun wailed.

"Son? Does this look like a son to you?" Nabiki reached over and squeezing Ranma's breast for emphasis. "It looks like it's going to be Kiri's job to unite our families."

"Would you please stop doing that?" Ranma asked.

"Nabiki, stop that! He . . . she is a guest in this house, in my house!" Akane shouted.

As usual Nabiki ignored her. So did everyone else, though Kasumi rubbed her arms as if from a sudden chill. Akane was just starting to plan the nightmares Nabiki would suffer that night when she saw Ranma looking at her. Akane looked behind her to see what the red haired girl was looking at. When she saw she was the only thing Ranma could possibly be looking at she smiled sweetly. "I'm Akane, do you want to be friends?" she asked.

She was amazed when Ranma smiled and nodded.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Kasumi?" Kiri walked into the kitchen where his older sister was finishing her preparations for supper.

"Yes, Kiri-chan, what is it?" Kasumi asked turning up from her work.

"Where's Ranma?"

"Oh she went into the Dojo by herself. She's been practicing martial arts all her life. Maybe she wanted to work out."

"That's great! Maybe she needs a sparring partner!"

"Forget it, kid, she'd only throw you back," Nabiki interrupted walking into the kitchen. "Kasumi? Who's that old guy with Daddy?"

"You got me," Kasumi replied.

"Kasumi? Nabiki's only joking when she said I had to marry Ranma, right?" Kiri asked nervously.

Kasumi gave Nabiki a sharp look, which Nabiki returned with a knowing smile. "Yes, Kiri-chan, Nabiki was just joking. "

"Oh good, Ranma's really pretty and all but I'm only thirteen."

* * * * * * * * * *

Akane smiled to herself as she walked down the hallway. It was so good to actually be able to talk to someone. She had friends of her own kind, of course, but most of them were hardly well adjusted. Most of the ones who were sane enough to talk to had moved on. But this breather had seen her and was willing to spar with her. She had loved martial arts since the days she would watch Akira Tendo teach in the dojo. When her Soun-chan took his father's place she began to practice the art. She knew she was merely mimicking the real students but she felt she had managed to keep up fairly well, even with Nabiki who was coming close to surpassing her father much to Akane's pride.

Ranma was different. Akane hadn't been able to even lay a finger on her. In anyone else Akane would have felt patronized. Ranma didn't even consider her enough of a threat to fight back. Akane dreaded how she might have responded if Ranma had done more then just tap her on the shoulder.

Akane stopped at the bathroom. A familiar red shirt was in the laundry hamper. Ranma must be taking a bath. Akane let her gi fade away and concentrated on opening the door. She didn't want to scare her new friend by entering in the usual manner.

A young man was climbing out of the bathtub. He glanced at the open door and stared at her. Akane looked back in shock. This was not the first time the first time she had seen a naked man she had been watching Akira and later Soun and Kiri bathe for years. But this was a stranger in her house, and he could see her just like Ranma could. He could see her naked body. Akane turned around and walked out of the bathroom. The door closed behind her.

Outside Akane leaned against the wall and let the top of her Gi grow around her. Out of long old habit she took a deep breath.

* * * * * * * * * *

Soun and his friend were toasting each other when a gust of wind burst through the sitting room. If one listened carefully one could almost imagine a girl screaming and hear the noise of someone running down the stairs. Suddenly all of the doors in the room flung open and the table went flying.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Soun-chan! There a pervert in the bathroom!" Akane shouted. For emphasis the flower vase, which hadn't been knocked over by the wind, shattered.

"What's that Racket?" Nabiki asked running into the living room.

"It sounded as if it was coming from the bath room," Kasumi said "I hope Ranma's all right"

"I'll go check!" Kiri volunteered.

"Hello," everyone turned to see a young man dressed in Ranma's clothes. "I'm Ranma Saotome, sorry about this."

* * * * * * * * * *

Akane paced angrily behind the collected Tendos glaring at the two men sitting in front of them, heavyset man dressed in a white gi, bandana and glasses and boy who said he was Ranma. The boy looked as if he was trying desperately not to look at her though she could see him follow her with her eyes.

"This better be good, Soun-chan, she muttered, "this had better be real good."

"I'll explain this one more time, Soun continued, "this is my dear friend."

"Genma Saotome," the older man finished.

Akane studied the man carefully. She remembered a Genma Saotome visiting years ago and this man did look like him though the Genma she knew had been thinner and had hair.

"And this is my son," Genma continued.

"Ranma," the boy finished.

"I don't get it, what's going on here?" Nabiki asked.

"Yeah, what did you do to the real Ranma?" Kiri demanded.

"Kiri-chan, that's very rude of you," Kasumi chastised her little brother.

"Well I want to know," Akane shouted standing in the middle of the informal circle. "What did you do to Ranma you little pervert?" she demanded. She got some satisfaction watching the boy grit his teeth as he tried not to react.

"Let me see how can I understand this," Genma commented before Ranma could respond. "Of course," he grabbed Ranma by the shirt and threw him into the Koi pond.

Everyone's eyes turned at the furious girl who rose from the pond. "What the hell did you do that for?" she demanded.

"Its her!" Kiri shouted looking at Ranma's chest and the way the wet silk stuck to it. "She's not wearing a, wearing a . . . . ." He fainted as his nose began to bleed.

"Kiri-chan!" Kasumi gasped looking to see if he was all right.

"Deep breathes, Kid," Nabiki chuckled.

"What is going on here?" Akane asked confused. She was sure that she had seen something happen when Ranma fell into the pond, other then the transformation of course. She was so distracted she barely avoided being knocked in as well when Ranma kicked his father in the back sending him flying into the pond.

"Stop now," she demanded. Genma froze just before he hit the water. Akane walked slowly around the pond. She was sure that the koi pond was beginning to glow and it was not the way it reflected the streetlights. She walked back to the house studying the expression of Ranma floating in mid kick. A faint blue glow surrounded her.

"Okay start up, but take it slow." Genma slowly began to descend into the pond. The water slowly raised a thunderous splash as he hit the water's surface. Akane watched as a faint mist filled the pond and Genma Saotome's form was consumed by blue flame. The pond started to glow so brightly that she could no longer see him underneath the water. As the light faded she could see the silhouette of Genma Saotome slowly expand. Akane turned for a moment to watch Ranma slowly land on a rock next to the koi pond. The blue glow had faded from her entirely. A Panda rose up from the pond looking extremely annoyed.

"Okay, speed up again," Akane muttered her curiosity satisfied.

"...Are you to talk?" Ranma asked the angry Panda.

"Why are you friends with these losers, Soun-chan?" Akane asked walking back to the house.

"Daddy? Why are you friends from them?" Kasumi asked.

"They were not always this way," Soun answered, "this is something new."

* * * * * * * * * *

"It was a fateful two weeks ago." Genma explained fifteen minutes later after the two Saotomes had taken a quick hot bath. "We had been traveling through western china for several months, training and honing our abilities in many of the great training sights until finally we reached our destination, the training ground of cursed springs.

"The grounds are a large plain covered by an endless honey comb of springs. The object is to balance on the bamboo poles sticking out of each spring while trying to knock your opponent into the ponds.

"What we did not know was that each of the pools holds a terrible tragic tale. In each of the pools something or someone has drowned. If someone were to fall into one of these springs they will take on the form of the pools first victim. Ranma knocked me into the Spring of Drowned Panda, afterwards he fell into the Spring of Drowned Girl."

"Hmmm the Legendary Springs of Jusenkyo, for years but now we know their true horror," Soun said slowly.

"What do you know about it? Trust me you don't know the meaning of true horror." Ranma growled. "Why the hell did you have to take me to that god forsaken place, Old Man?" he demanded grabbing Genma by the front of his Gi.

"Oh please is it really necessary to watch all of this macho posturing all over again?" Akane groaned turning her back from what was essentially a repeat of the previous fight. "I mean, knowing this idiot he was probably too stupid to even learn Chinese for his trip."

"Stop this now!" Soun shouted pouring a kettle of hot water over the Panda. Akane watched the Panda disappear in a flash of blue flame to be replaced instantly by Genma Saotome. She wondered if any one else could see it.

"Hot water returns you to your true form I see," Soun commented repeating the process on Ranma.

"Hot not boiling!" Ranma shouted jumping out of its way.

"Well looks as if your problems not that bad after all," Soun grinned slapping Ranma on the shoulder, ignoring Ranma's confusion. "My two daughters Kasumi, nineteen, and Nabiki, seventeen, choose one and she will be your fiancée."

"Oh he wants Nabiki," Kasumi smiled holding her younger sister by the shoulders.

"What?" Nabiki asked in shock.

"Oh, you'd be perfect, Sis," Kiri grinned.

"You are going down, squirt," Nabiki growled at her brother. "But why me?" she turned to Kasumi.

"Because you're perfect, you're nearly the same age, you both like martial arts and besides, you know how you've been complaining about some of the boys in school? Well you're in luck! Ranma's a boy only half of the time!"

"Can't argue with logic like that Akane grinned.

"You stay out of this!" Ranma shouted.

"What did you say?" Nabiki asked turning towards Ranma already angry.

"Nothing! I didn't say nothing! Not that it's none of your business. I'm out of here."

"Ranma! Where are you going?" Genma demanded.

"Back to China to find a cure! I don't have time for fiancées or girls period. Especially annoying, kaiwaiikune ones like you." he turned pointing at Akane.

It probably would have been a good idea if he had checked just who Akane was standing in front of.

"Now that," Genma commented after Ranma had gone sprawling from a direct hit from Nabiki, "he had coming."

* * * * * * * * * *

Ranma woke up about an hour later with Kasumi and Kiri sitting next to her. "Oh, your awake," Kasumi said replacing the wet towel on Ranma forehead. "You took a really nasty blow there. Nabiki really isn't that bad but that wasn't a very nice thing to say."

"You're probably right," Ranma muttered rubbing her head.

Well anyway, I'm glad you're all right. You get some rest. I have some work to do. Kiri-chan? "

"I can look after Ranma, Kasumi," Kiri sounded hopeful.

"I'm sure Ranma would appreciate that, Kiri-chan, but I think it would be better if you came with me."

Kiri reluctantly got up and followed his sister out of the room/

Ranma shrugged and tried to relax.

"So, what is true horror?"

Ranma looked up to see Akane standing in front of him." I don't see you, your not here I'm ignoring you," Ranma looked away angrily.

"You told Soun-chan he didn't know true horror. That suggests that you do. What is true horror?"

"Soun-chan? What is this place to you any way?" Ranma asked.

"I'm their older sister," Akane replied.

"What? Did Mr. Tendo have a fourth child or something?"

"No, I'm Soun-chan's older sister to. You're changing the subject. What is true horror?"

"You don't want to know."

"You should see what some of my friends have been through, try me."

"Why should I? It's not as of you're even a real person."

"Do you want to know how long I can sing 'Don't Make Me Wild Like You' when you're trying to sleep?" Akane asked.

"You wouldn't."

Akane grinned.

"All right, all right. When I arrived at the training ground it was like Pop said it was. Except it was vast and empty and the only ting you could hear was the wind and our guide going on and on about all of the tragic tales involving each of the pools. It was like that until I got knocked into the pool and I didn't fall the old man pushed me."

"I didn't say anything," Akane smiled.

"Got that right. Anyway when I came out it was dark like there was going to be a storm and thousands of people and animals and things were all standing next to a pool. All of them muttering to themselves it was deafening. The only pool that didn't have one was the one I was sitting in. It was only then that I noticed I had changed. Pop still thinks I was screaming cause I had tits."

"Well that can't be that bad. The last real medium I met was a Shinto Priestess. Poor girl was stuck living with her moocher of an uncle. She seemed nice enough otherwise."

"Medium? What the heck makes you think I'm a medium?"

"You and I are maintaining a polite conversation. What else do you call that?"

"Crazy."

"Oh come on, so you could see all of the victims of Jusenkyo I don't see how terrible that could be.

"Oh you don't know the half of it," Ranma muttered, "is there a mirror in this house?" Akane nodded. "Then let's get some hot water and I'll show you.

* * * * * * * * * *

"What am I looking at?" Akane asked when they got to the mirror in the hallway.

"Just keep looking at my reflection," Ranma poured the water over herself. The Akane watched the transformation in the mirror like his father Ranma was consumed by a blue flame that lasted only a moment fading into a faint glow. Akane's eyes widened as she saw what was left in the mirror. Ranma had not changed.

"It's always her." Akane turned to see a very much male Ranma looking at her. "Even when I'm a guy it's her reflection. And if you think that's weird look at this. He waved his hand in front of the mirror. The girl in the mirror moved her hand as well but it seemed to be about two seconds behind reality.

"Its as if I was moving a puppet," Ranma sniffed. "Its like her soul is attached to me. I see through her eyes, I hear through her ears. I have the sneaking suspicion my soul is trapped in that pool and the next poor schmuck who falls in that pool will turn into me."

"Well it can't be that bad.

"That bad? Do you know what it's like having to watch out if whoever you see is real so people don't think your crazy. At least most of the time its easy most of them are a bunch of head cases. But occasionally you run into ones that act like normal. Just my luck their un-cute dead girls to."

"Un cute?" Akane growled. The room darkened as wind blew through the hallway.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Un cute dead girl thinks she's so tough blowing me into the pond." Ranma muttered as she walked to the bathroom. "Thinks she can boss people around as if she owns the place. She pulled off her shirt and tossed it into the wash basket. She opened the door to the bathroom walking right into a naked Nabiki.

"Why you . . ." Nabiki growled.

* * * * * * * * * *

"So she has spunk," Genma looked critically at his son's swollen jaw. "It's what makes a fiancée cute."

"Cute has nothing to do with it." Ranma muttered.

* * * * * * * * *

I don't get it, Sis," Kiri said keeping safely out of Nabiki's punching range, "if you were both girls its okay. Right?"

Nabiki turned saying nothing, and glared at Kiri as a cat would a mouse. Kiri backed away quickly.

* * * * * * * * * *

Akane stood next to the Koi pond watching the trees in the Tendo garden sway in the wind. "Un cute dead girl, hmph, who does that jerk think he is? I hope Nabiki-chan likes him because she can keep him."