Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ The Insanity Continues ❯ Dealing with Love ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ranma 1/2: The Insanity Continues

Volume 1 - Trapped

Chapter 3 - Dealing with Love

Written by Lord Archive

Characters are own Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan and are used without permission. All rights reserved.

This series was originally written in 1997, long before ffnet existed. This is one of my first fanfictions. Some edits have been made to improve readability, but it remains as an example of early Ranma 1/2 fanfiction. When this was being written, elements of this story weren't cliched, it was creating the cliches. While this remains as one of my more popular Ranma 1/2 series, it is not without it's faults as I was new to writing stories and a complete translation of Ranma 1/2 manga had yet to appear in America when this was originally written more than fifteen years ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Nabiki approached the Kuno mansion. She was here to handle a little present for her sister and Ranma. They were to be married tomorrow, and she was going to remove the Kuno siblings as a threat. Nabiki rang the bell at the front gate, waiting for one of the servants to answer.

A short man answered the bell. "What business do you have here today?"

"I am here to see Kodachi and Tatewaki concerning their love interests," Nabiki answered.

"Master Kuno is not here currently, but I shall inform Mistress Kodachi that you wish to see her." The servant left her at the gate as he returned to the house.

Several minutes later the servant returned. "She will see you now. Follow me."

Nabiki nodded and followed the servant to a large pond. Apparently it was feeding time for her 'little' pet. She hoped Kodachi had enough sense not to add her to the alligator's diet.

"What news do have about my darling Ranma-sama?" Kodachi asked.

"Now you know I don't give information freely," Nabiki replied.

Kodachi focused on her pet alligator. "Of course. How much is this information you have?"

"A favor and a deal," Nabiki answered simply.

Kodachi stared at her in surprise. "What? No money?"

Nabiki shook her head. "Not this time."

"Tell me what the favor and deal are, and I shall consider them," Kodachi requested suspiciously.

Nabiki frowned. "The favor is you do not interfere in anything Ranma does until sunrise Tuesday."

Kodachi looked at Nabiki skeptically. "And the deal?"

Nabiki bit back a sigh and gazed at her seriously. "I will help you find other love interests."

Kodachi scowled darkly. "My darling Ranma-sama is all I need."

Nabiki pointed at the girl. "Now Kodachi, you know full well that he has no romantic feelings for you. Pursuing him is only making you look like a fool."

Kodachi's glare intensified, then she turned her gaze at the pond. "He is the only man to ever make me feel this way. I must have him. He should be mine and not belong to some lowly wench."

Nabiki folded her arms. "There are other men out there that you may find as attractive, if not more so. You know there is nothing you can do that will win him. You can accept my offer and walk away from this with something."

"The information you have... it is that Ranma will marry your sister tomorrow, isn't it?" Kodachi eyed the middle Tendo sister evilly.

"I cannot say until we make agreement," Nabiki replied passively.

Kodachi looked at her for a sign, wanting to know if she was right or not. She couldn't tell, but suspected she was correct. Ranma should be hers! She should stop this... and Ranma would hate her even more. He made his displeasure clear to her about my involvement in that fiasco of a wedding.

Kodachi gazed again into the pool. To try and prevent the wedding and farther push Ranma away, or accept the offer and be able to walk away with a promise from this mercenary to help her find someone to love.... Ranma should be hers, for she could offer him the world and her love, and yet he stayed with that wench. What could that girl offer that she could not? She had money, power, and status. What did the girl have?

The youngest Kuno let out a long sigh. She knew the answer. His love, that was what Akane had. And, to interfere would likely cause him to be hostile towards me. She would rather see him married to another before that.

Kodachi turned back to Nabiki. "Very well, I shall accept your deal provided I don't pay for your services and I promise not to interfere with anything he does from now until sunrise Tuesday."

"Agreed," Nabiki replied. "And, you are correct, Ranma and Akane are to be married after-school tomorrow."

Kodachi ripped a piece of steak in half before flinging a chunk into the pond. "See that I have a date for that event."

"I don't think you'll be invited," Nabiki deadpanned.

Kodachi glared. "I shall attend Ranma's wedding, even if I am not the bride."

Nabiki shrugged. "I'll see what I can do."

"See that you succeed. Have you spoken to brother-dearest yet?" Kodachi wondered.

Nabiki shook her head. "Not yet."

Kodachi nodded in thought. "I shall give you certain criteria I expect of possible love interests after you've talked with him."

Nabiki didn't see a problem with that. It might make her job easier. "Fine by me."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nabiki waited in the study for some time for Kuno's return. She looked over several books of poetry and was getting quite bored.

"So, Tendo Nabiki is interested in poetry. Is it your wish for that I recite some of my favorite works for you?" Kuno questioned.

Nabiki rolled her eyes. "Maybe another time. I am here about news concerning my sister and the pig-tailed girl."

"What news does thou have of my goddesses?" Kuno elated.

"First we have to make a little deal." Nabiki grinned. "I can tell you where to find your pig-tailed goddess whenever you want, but you will no longer chase after Akane nor interfere in her relationship with Ranma."

"What? To know where the healthy pig-tailed goddess is, and yet to know is to lose my goddess of the hunt. What to do? What to do?" Kuno cried out.

Nabiki shook her head. "Now Kuno, you do know that Akane is bound by a promise my father made to have marry Ranma? Even if she didn't want to marry him, she has to. And she does want to marry him, without any coercion, magic, or any other means of enslavement."

"And why would she want to marry such a vile sorcerer?" Kuno demanded.

"Because she loves him," Nabiki answered simply yet firmly.

"LOVE?! How can she love that foul sorcerer?!" Kuno yelled in outrage.

"Because she does, and as I said, 'she is bound by my father's promise to marry him.' To interfere brings shame to you and your family, even if he is as bad as you think or if is she didn't want to. So, if you care for your nobility, you will accept my offer," Nabiki stated coldly.

Kuno posed dramatically. "The Kuno clan is nothing if not noble clan, but I cannot sit aside and let that vile sorcerer have his way with Tendo Akane."

"But it is not just his way, it is also the way of the Tendo and Saotome clans that they marry. Our families demand that they marry. Akane will face great shame if she does not marry him. Do you want that? Do you want to ruin Akane's status, as well as your own, to act in any way against her wishes?" Nabiki challenged.

"No, I do not," Kuno said meekly.

"Then you will accept my offer?" Nabiki asked coolly.

Kuno reluctantly nodded. "Yes, I shall accept."

"Good." Nabiki nodded. "The news is that Akane and Ranma have decided to be married tomorrow."

"WHAT?!" Kuno screamed.

Nabiki waved her finger at him. "Remember our deal, Kuno-chan. THEY have decided to marry. It is Akane's wish to marry him tomorrow, the decision was not made by my father nor Ranma's parents."

"I will confirm this," Kuno intoned.

"Of course." Nabiki held up a video tape, that seemingly came out of nowhere. "Now to show you how to find the pig-tailed girl. This tape has not been altered in any way. What you see is the truth." She handed the young man the tape.

Kuno walked over to the VCR in the study, put it in and press play. He turned on the television to see what was promised to be on the tape.

The video tape showed Ranma turning from a guy into a girl and from a girl into a guy at various times and in different situations. It also showed no break in Ranma's action. When Ranma was talking, he would complete the sentence even if changed halfway through saying it. When he was fighting he would complete his attack, despite the gender shift. Certain people, like Akane, Ukyou, Shampoo and several others showed no difference in behavior towards either form, while people in the background sometimes looked startled.

"What sorcery is this?!" Kuno yelled, after the shock of what was on the tape wore off.

"The sorcery in question is a curse Ranma picked up in China." Nabiki folded her arms. "Whenever he is splashed with cold water his body is transformed into a girl. His mind, however, does not."

Kuno raised his bokken to the air. "This is fallacy. Trickery! I cannot accept what you say."

Nabiki poked the young man in the chest. "Kuno, how about all the times he has changed in your presence? They are the same person."

"It is sorcery I say. Sorcery!" Tatewaki protested. "That is how the coward flees from my presence by switching places with her."

Nabiki shook her head. "Perhaps seeing another cursed individual will help convince you."

Kuno stared at Nabiki coldly.

"And a statement from a doctor," Nabiki added.

"It might," Kuno failed to promise.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kuno and Nabiki approached Dr. Tofu's clinic. She was glad that Genma worked today, so she could use him as the cursed subject. During the walk over to the clinic she tried to convince the young man about the curse and ensure he would no longer chase Akane.

"Hello, Mr. Saotome," Nabiki greeted the cheerfully whistling panda as they arrived.

"Growf," replied the panda, who was sweeping the sidewalk.

"Why do you refer to this creature as 'Mr. Saotome?'" Kuno asked.

"Because, he's Ranma's father. He got cursed with a panda's body at the same time as Ranma got cursed," Nabiki told him in a neutral tone.

Kuno looked down at her. "That would prove nothing. His father would employ the same sorcery on this creature as Ranma has on the pig-tailed girl."

Nabiki shook her head. "How about we have a little test? You say something to him, and then I'll have him change into his human form and then have him repeat it. If they had switched places, he could not possibly know of what you said."

"We shall attempt your test." Kuno turned toward the panda. "The message I wish to be repeated is: 'Lies shall not keep me from my love.'"

"All right Mr. Saotome, unless you wish him to interfere with the wedding, I suggest you change back," Nabiki commanded.

Genma shrugged and entered the clinic, followed by Nabiki and Kuno. He walked over to the kitchen area, picked up a kettle of hot water and poured it on his head in front of the young man.

Kuno blinked at him changing forms. "Now repeat my message."

"'Lies shall not keep me from my love,'" Genma replied.

"Satisfied?" Nabiki asked.

"No! The sorcery may have given that knowledge to him," Kuno denied.

Nabiki wanted to beat her head against the wall. No, she wanted to beat Tatewaki's head against the wall. "You can also get the word of Dr. Tofu about the curse."

Kuno gave a firm nod. "I shall."

Dr. Tofu entered the waiting room as he gave some last minute medical advice to one of his patients.

"Hello, Dr. Tofu. I'd like you to explain to Kuno, here, about the Jusenkyo curses. And tell him of some of the victims you know of."

"Hello, Nabiki. I guess I can explain what I know of them, since my next patient isn't here yet." Dr. Tofu led Kuno into his office and sat down.

The young looking doctor began, "Genma, Ranma, Shampoo, and Mousse are all victims of the cursed springs of Jusenkyo. There are over a hundred springs, each one has it's own curse, changing whoever falls into that spring into that which drowned there. The springs that are known to exist are drowned girl, panda, cat, duck, little boy, piglet, octopus, yeti riding bull carrying crane and eel, Akane...."

"'Akane?'" Kuno asked, shocked.

"She was drowned to make a spring so that one of Ranma's enemies could use her form to get near him. They kept her alive as insurance against him," Dr. Tofu related.

Kuno frowned. "So, more than one person holds the visage of Tendo Akane?"

"Correct," Dr. Tofu replied, and then continued, "Hot water changes the cursed individual back to normal, and cold water turns them into their cursed form. Save for a couple pools, like the good Samaritan cursed spring, the curse does not directly affect the mind of the cursed individual."

"Is Saotome Ranma's curse like that?" Kuno questioned.

Dr. Tofu shook his head. "His mind isn't directly affected."

"What do you mean 'directly affected?'" Kuno asked.

"I mean that the curse doesn't have a separate personality that overrides Ranma's mind when he's in his cursed form. The curse, however, will have affects by its very nature. Having water be able to change you into a form that is not your own will alter your mind in some ways," Dr. Tofu explained.

"This is not some sorcery that Ranma has enacted on the pig-tailed girl?" Kuno asked in almost a pleading voice.

Dr. Tofu stifled himself from laughing at the young man. "No, Ranma had no part in gaining the curse beyond falling into the pool, nor does he even like the curse. The girl that drowned at the Jusenkyo pool died fifteen hundred years ago."

"Thank you for your time, doctor." Kuno was still unsure whether to believe what he had been told and intended to confirm it. But enough evidence had seeped in for him to admit that it was possible his pig-tailed goddess may be a deception. And if it was, Ranma shall pay for it.

He exited the office and was greeted by Nabiki. "Satisfied now?"

"For now I see the possibility that your words ring true, but I shall make certain that this is not the deception." Kuno turned and left the clinic.

Nabiki followed him. She still needed to get Kodachi's list.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
As Nabiki approached Ucchan's, she gave a quick prayer, hoping Ranma hadn't mess up things too badly with Ukyou. Entering the restaurant, she saw that Ukyou had so completely absorbed into cooking, the chef didn't offer any greeting. She nodded to herself that there were only two customers here as she didn't want to make too much of a scene.

Nabiki first went to Konatsu and told him, "Please, keep your eyes on Ukyou. Don't leave her alone for a minute."

Konatsu replied, "I would never leave her in this time of need."

Nabiki then went to the counter and said in a friendly tone, "Hello, I'd like two of your specials."

"Hi, coming right up," Ukyou replied without emotion.

As the young chef finished the order, Nabiki asked, "So how is one of my favorite customers doing?"

"How do you think I feel? Ranchan left me for your sister!" Ukyou shouted in anger, crushing her spatula in her hand.

The two customers jumped at the outburst.

"You probably feel terrible, and besides, you know I had nothing to do with him choosing her. It was in my best interests to keep his relationships unresolved," Nabiki returned.

The two customers returned to eating as they attempted to ignore the rest of the conversation.

"You would have continued pitting us against your sister for Ranma's love?" Ukyou hissed out.

Nabiki shrugged like it was nothing to her. "Sure. It was a great source of income."

"You helped delude us into thinking we had a chance for Ranma's heart! Just for money! Don't you love anything beside money?" Ukyou demanded

"My family," Nabiki replied simply.

"How can you say that, when you've caused your own sister no end of misery over this suitor business?" Ukyou accused.

"Because I know my sister, she wasn't ready to get married and she loves a challenge. If there wasn't any competition for him, she wouldn't have any feeling of accomplishment when she finally won. And you gave her a real challenge. You've known him the longest. In terms of martial arts and marital skills, you beat her hands down," Nabiki explained.

"If I'm so much better than Akane, why did he chose her?" Ukyou snarled.

Nabiki shrugged. "Can't say for sure. I guess, in the end, it came down to love. And love, as we all know, can be blind."

"Gee, that sure helped me figure things out." Ukyou said sarcastically.

"Look, I know it hurts to lose someone you're in love with. At least he is alive and you should try to be happy for him. The world won't end tomorrow. It'll just feel like it. Eventually the pain will fade away. And when it does you can try to find love anew," Nabiki advised.

"I don't think I'll love anyone the way I love Ranchan," Ukyou remarked bitterly.

"I have no doubt of that," Nabiki agreed. "No one ever loves two people the same way, because that would mean they're the same person. But you will eventually find and love, someone who loves you back. If you need help finding him, just let me know."

Ukyou glared. "I would have to be pretty desperate to ask you for help."

Nabiki smirked. "You would be surprised at how many desperate guys and girls I've helped."

"Judging from the 'Tendo Akane Fan Club,' there has to be a lot of desperate people out there, and I don't want to be one of them right now," Ukyou groused bitterly.

"That's good. Oh... Look at the time, I've got to go. But, in waiver of a fee for talking with me, I just want you to promise that, no matter how bad you feel, you won't do anything stupid or rash, like stop the wedding or commit suicide," Nabiki stated in a business tone.

Ukyou stared at her. "What kind of person do you take me for?"

"A very sad, upset, and angry person. A person who might be capable of doing anything," Nabiki explained simply.

Ukyou clenched a fist. "The only stupid or rash thought I'm fighting right now is the one that says I should beat the crap out of you."

Nabiki looked at her calmly, ignoring the threat completely. "Just remember, Ranma would never forgive himself if you commit suicide, nor forgive you if try to stop the wedding." She then put fifteen hundred yen on the counter for the meal and left.

Ukyou stood there and made a silent oath to herself, "I promise I won't do any stupid or rash. I will be happy for Ranma. And one day, I'll find someone to love who loves me." She then snarled angrily, Nabiki's bill had been sixteen hundred yen. She then returned to work as Konatsu continued to silently watch over her.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone had finished dinner. Mousse and Nodoka were still present. Kasumi had left to work on the dishes, and Akane had returned to her room. Ranma was about to follow her, but he was stopped by Soun's announcement, "Well, my boy, you're finally going to marry my daughter. I think we should celebrate."

Genma added with a grin, "I agree, Tendo. I even got out the special sake I've been saving just for an occasion like this."

"Come on Nabiki, let's leave these boys to their impromptu bachelor party," Nodoka suggested strongly.

Nabiki almost whined, "It would be fun watching them get drunk."

"But it's more fun to find out where they end up in the morning," joked Nodoka.

"As long as I get to take photos of them," Nabiki demanded.

"I'll leave you men to your party," Nodoka told them in an amused tone.

"Do try to avoid being the dancing girl, little bro," Nabiki added before following Nodoka out of the room.

"This could be fun," Mousse grinned.

"If any of you try to get me to be the dancing girl, I'll kill you. Understand?" snarled Ranma.

The others laughed and Genma said, "I will not permit that to happen. I certainly wouldn't want to upset your mother."

As the sake was passed around the conversational quality of what was said went out the window.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Akane sat on her bed, looking out her window. When she heard a knock at her door, she called out, "Enter."

Nabiki opened the door, entered and sat down on the desk chair.

"Where's Ranma? We were going to talk now," Akane asked angrily.

"Dad stopped him. He decided to throw Ranma an impromptu bachelor party," Nabiki replied.

Akane's eyes went wide. "They're having a what?!"

"A bachelor party, Auntie feels it's important that the guys have the party to celebrate the end Ranma's childhood and the beginning of true adulthood. At least that's what she told me." Nabiki shrugged.

Akane eyed her sister. "How come you're not down there video taping it?"

Nabiki frowned. "Auntie won't let me, but I do get to take photos of them in the morning."

"I wonder what Ranma will look like," Akane said with a slight grin.

"Probably hunched over the toilet and in great pain," Nabiki quipped.

"Big sis, how's Ukyou?" Akane asked, concerned.

Nabiki sighed. "I'm not sure. I don't think she'll do anything stupid. But I can't be sure with her. I told Konatsu to keep an eye on her."

"I hope she's okay. How did it go with the Kuno and Kodachi?" Akane wondered.

"They won't be chasing after either of you for a date anymore. Given Ranma's and Kuno-chan's history, though, I doubt that they've had their last battle," Nabiki answered.

Akane's eyed her sister suspiciously. "How did you get them to agree to stop?"

"Kodachi was surprisingly easy. I got her to stop by promising to help her land some boyfriends. As it is, I already got her a date with Sanzenin Mikado. For Kuno-chan, I made him swear an oath to not interfere with you and Ranma if I told him how he could find his pig-tailed goddess," Nabiki finished with a grin.

"You didn't!?!" Akane gasped.

"Once he agreed, I proved to him that Ranma is his pig-tailed goddess," Nabiki grinned.

"What? Are you nuts? Kuno is going to want to kill Ranma," Akane morbidly dreaded.

"Like he didn't want Ranma dead before. And as I said, he will not attack either of you because he wants a date." Nabiki smirked.

"If Ranma ends up getting a hang-over, I may to have to fight Kuno." Akane shook her head.

"I doubt it, Ranma will end up kicking Kuno into orbit for talking to loud. Oops, it's getting late, I better get to my homework. Good night." Nabiki quickly left for her room.

"Good night," Akane tried to reply, but wondered if she functionally just said that to the door.

Akane resumed looking out the window. Her thoughts drifted over what had occurred. Everything was changing. By this time tomorrow she would officially be married to Ranma. She was even pregnant already. A mother while still in high school. What had she been thinking when she got Ranma to have sex with her? She should've known she was fertile and should've at least waited longer before trying that idea.

Akane shook her head. She was unable to bring up her fabled anger. She had screwed up and sent both Ranma's and my life through the blender. At least it would be nice that she no longer had to worry about his suitors anymore. Ranma was hers, and nothing was going to change that now.

The youngest Tendo sighed. What about her suitor problems? Nabiki was handling everyone except Ryoga as he was a problem she had to deal with. She couldn't believe he had done that. She just couldn't believe he would be content to be a pet. Why couldn't she have seen it before that Ryoga was P-Chan?

Akane looked down. She didn't want to believe Ryoga was her pet. Deep down she knew he was, but she couldn't allow herself to see it. She couldn't believe someone would be her pet anymore than Kuno could believe his pig-tailed girl was Ranma. She guessed, in a way, all the trouble she had caused Ranma over P-Chan was her fault. She should've known, but she could never let herself know. So many problems had happened because of her.

An hour had passed when she noticed that something was trying climb into her window. It was P-Chan.

"Hello there," Akane said in a tone a little colder than usual as she picked up P-Chan. "I've got some things to say to you."

P-Chan began to nervously move, fearing that she had finally found out about the curse.

"Where to start? Well, two days ago Ranma and I were able to have a long private talk. While talking, we admitted we love each other," Akane announced with increasing in warmth in her voice.

P-Chan relaxed. Ranma had finally gotten the courage to tell her.

Akane grinned, "We decided to get married."

The pig frowned. At least he still had Akari.

"The wedding is tomorrow," Akane told him.

P-Chan's eyes went wide. "Bweeep?" That soon?

"Of course you're invited," Akane said with a smile and then frowned a bit. "But, that wasn't all we talked about. While talking with Ranma I asked why he always kept fighting Ryoga."

P-Chan began to squirm in fear.

"He wouldn't tell me. No matter how hard I pushed," Akane informed coldly.

The pig eased up trying to escape, but was not sure he was safe.

"But, when I joked that you and Ryoga were one and the same, I would kill him. He got really nervous when I said that," Akane added with a touch of anger.

P-Chan froze, staring at the girl in absolute terror, dreading what was to come next.

Akane closed her eyes. "I finally figured it out. You really disappointed me. You should have told me, Ryoga. I am trying to understand why you decided to become my pet."

"Bweep eep bukweep," P-Chan tried to oink out his love for her.

"I want you to promise me something, Ryoga. You will never, ever fight Ranma for what has happened in the past. Do you understand? You will not attack Ranma or I'll make roast piglet out of you," Akane demanded harshly.

P-Chan nodded his head and emitted, "bweeep."

"You need to stop blaming others for your mistakes. While Ranma may have knocked you into the cursed pool, you're as much at fault for following him," Akane told him bitterly.

P-Chan's eyes quirked. His fault for following him?

"Now, I would like to see you and Ranma to become friends. Can you try to do that for me? Please?" Akane pleaded.

P-Chan once again nodded and replied, "bweeep."

Akane gave him a small smile. "Good. Now let's get you downstairs so you can join Ranma's bachelor party."

"Bwee Bweeep?" The pig wondered if he heard that right.

Akane got up, carried P-Chan to the bath and opened the door, set him down, and shut the door. A moment later a splash was heard then the sounds of someone getting dressed.

Akane bowed her head sadly with the undeniable truth in the next room, while wishing this was all a cruel joke. The door opened revealing Ryoga.

"Akane, you aren't mad?" Ryoga asked.

Akane shook her head. "Not mad, just very disappointed."

Ryoga sagged. "I don't blame you if you hate me."

Akane looked down. "I don't hate you, I still consider you a friend. But, it may be a while before I completely forgive you."

Ryoga nodded. "I understand."

"Now hurry up and join that party." Akane guided him toward the family room.

Ryoga reluctantly went along.

Akane opened the door to the remnants of the party and saw Genma and Soun passed out, while Mousse and Happosai were apparently trying drink the other under the table. It looked like Mousse was winning.

"I brought someone who should be in this party," Akane announced as she pushed Ryoga into the room.

"Greetings, Ryoga," Mousse greeted.

"Hiya," Happosai slurred.

"Sit down and join what's left of the festivities," encouraged Mousse.

"Ah, okay." Ryoga nervously sat down.

"So, where's the groom?" Akane asked.

"Praying to the porcelain god. He really can't hold his liquor," Mousse replied smugly.

Akane left them to finish the party and went to the bathroom to check on Ranma. Sure enough, her now female fiance was asleep curled up next to the toilet. She started to go over to the girl, but got a devious idea and turned around and left. She returned a minute later with Nabiki and who had brought a camera.

Nabiki took several pictures of Ranma.

Then Akane dragged the drunken girl she would be marrying soon into the bath area to get her cleaned up, using cold water as Ranma was lighter and easier to move as a girl. Once accomplished, Akane dragged the girl unceremoniously up the stairs and put her soon-to-be-spouse to bed before she went to bed herself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Female Ranma opened her eyes slowly as her fiancee shook her.

"Wake up, already!" Akane seemingly shouted.

Ranma turned green, bile raising in her throat. "Ugh, I feel sick. Did you hit me too hard last night?"

"No," Akane replied as she let go of the girl, who fell heavily back into the futon.

"Argh. What a weird dream last night. It was nice, but scary," Ranma muttered.

Akane raised an eyebrow. "Care to tell me about the dream?"

Ranma fidgeted. "Um... er... I'd rather not."

Akane eyed Ranma suspiciously. "Let's see if I can guess it. We got trapped in a magical prison, declared our love for each other, planned to get married, had sex, got pregnant, and moved up the wedding date." She giggled seeing her fiance's stupefied face.

Ranma looked at her disbelievingly. "It wasn't a dream?"

"If it's a dream, we're living it," Akane replied with a smile.

Ranma sagged. "I hope this dream doesn't turn into a nightmare."

Akane pouted at the girl. "We'll just have to work to prevent that."

"I guess the roller-coaster ride that is my life isn't done yet." Ranma massaged her head.

"Not yet. By the way Mousse is waiting for his morning practice," Akane informed him.

Ranma held her head in pain. With this headache, she would never be able to handle teaching today. If only there was... well, maybe she could ask... She looked at her fiancee. "Say... you wouldn't want to take care of it today, would you?"

"I'd love too," Akane joyfully replied.

"Just work on his endurance and ability to dodge," Ranma advised.

"You don't want me to spar with him?" Akane asked with a tinge of anger.

"Well, you won't be much fun tonight if you get hurt," Ranma commented with a slight grin.

"You pervert!" Akane growled while she laughed. She grabbed the pillow from Genma's futon and smacked the girl in the face. "Okay, I don't want to spoil tonight's fun either." She kissed her fiance before she left.

This was going to take some time getting used to. Her head throbbed painfully. Why had she drank so much?

"I hope you weren't the female entertainment last night," Nodoka remarked from the doorway of their room.

"I don't think I was," Ranma replied.

"So how are you feeling?" Nodoka asked, pulling Ranma's stuff from the closet.

"Fine, if you don't count a splitting headache. Mom, what are you doing?" Ranma wondered.

"Moving your stuff into Akane's room. You'll be sleeping there from now on," Nodoka reminded.

"Oh, right." Ranma sighed. "I'm not sure if I'm ready for all of this."

"It doesn't matter now if you're ready. You must face the challenges of being a good husband and, very soon, a father," Nodoka told him seriously.

"I hope I don't botch the job as spectacularly as Pop has," Ranma replied, presenting her female body. "Considering what a great body for a man amongst men he cursed me with."

"He definitely could have done a better job, but he certainly raised a unique individual. And your manliness does show through even when you're in a female body," Nodoka said fondly.

"Yeah, well, I won't make the mistake of taking my kids away from their mother," Ranma muttered.

"It's nice to hear that." Nodoka smirked. "But I doubt Akane would let you do that and live."

Ranma regretted letting out a laugh. "Probably right about that. Um, can I get some of my clothes before you move all of them."

Nodoka almost did as the girl asked, but then stopped herself. "Of course, but I want to give you a little advice first."

Ranma blinked. "Advice about what?"

"Being a good husband," Nodoka said seriously.

"Too bad no one gave Pop that advice." Ranma smirked.

"I'm sure they did. It was either poor advice or he ignored it," Nodoka giggled.

Ranma laughed. "So, what did you want to say?" She grabbed her head, cursing the hangover.

"First, don't lie to your wife, she'll find out eventually. Second, don't make promises you can't or don't intend to keep, it'll come back to haunt you. Third, don't be afraid to admit a mistake, it causes less grief in the long run," Nodoka advised.

Ranma nodded and added, "Fourth, don't try to keep any secrets, she'll find out at the worst possible moment."

Nodoka nodded and handed over a change of clothes. "Here you go, Dear. You'd better hurry up and get ready."

"Thanks," Ranma replied, grabbing a pair of boxers and T-shirt from the dresser before dashing off to get changed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
In the Tendo dining room, Soun and Genma were still sleeping to one side of the room. Ryoga and Nabiki sat on one side of the table while Akane sat at her usual spot when Ranma entered. Mousse was seen outside running past the koi pond with a large stone statue on his back.

"Hi Ryoga, when did ya get here?" Ranma asked in friendly manner, showing no signs of a hangover.

It was all Ranma's fault he got a hangover from that stupid bachelor party. He should... Ryoga stopped that line of thought as he looked at Akane, who was gazing at the young Saotome and was smiling brightly. He coldn't fight him. His first love would never forgive him. He looked at his rival. "Sometime after you plunged your head into the toilet," he replied, somberly. He was doing this for Akane. He took a breath and asked, "Um, Ranma? I was wondering... well... if we could forget our past and start over as friends."

Ranma looked the wandering martial artist as if aliens had just taken his body. "Sure, but I've always considered you to be a friend of sorts."

"You have?" Ryoga questioned.

"Of course. You've been my best sparring partner. I never know when your going to attack and your skills are close to mine. I wouldn't be near as good as I am now if it weren't for you," Ranma told him as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"You mean, you liked it when I attacked you?" Ryoga asked, confused.

Akane was also a bit confused.

Ranma shrugged. "Not all of the time, but there were times I was happy to hear 'DIE RANMA' because I felt the need for a good fight. Anyway, when I really needed help, you came along."

"So, you actually thought of me as a friend and liked fighting me?" Ryoga said slowly.

"Yeah." Ranma frowned, looking at his fiancee's confused expression, not forgetting that his child was already in her. "But now, I guess, we should keep our fights to sparring and, possibly, have an all out fight every so often."

Ryoga nodded in agreement.

Akane cleared her throat. "Um, Ranma, the wedding is going to be a western one."

"So?" Ranma asked.

"You'll need a best man," Akane pointed out.

"A best man? Ryoga, you want to do that?" Ranma asked.

Akane smiled her approval.

Ryoga stared in surprise. Ranma wanted him to be the best man? Saotome did say he considered him to be a friend, and Akane liked the idea.... He sighed. "Sure."

Mousse appeared and dropped the statue outside and sat down closest to the back door.

Akane asked, "Finished 100 laps already?"

"Yes... I... shall... bear any... pain for... my... Shampoo..." Mousse answered breathlessly. After a minute he regained his breath and asked, "So, what's on the training schedule for today."

"Just what I like in a student: complete devotion!" Ranma replied. "Uh, nothing scheduled today, but if you want something to do, I'm sure Kasumi could use some help."

"He's my student today. Remember?" Akane snapped. "Um, besides working on what I showed you this morning, I hadn't thought that far ahead either."

Kasumi entered, calling out, "Breakfast!"

Genma immediately woke up, sitting across from Ranma and Akane. Soun wearily woke up. He had Mousse move to the corner of the table and sat down next to Genma. Happosai appeared next to Akane. Nodoka entered and began to help Kasumi bring out breakfast. Once the food was in place, Nodoka and Kasumi sat across from Nabiki and Ryoga. Everyone began to eat.

"Now Ranma, that was quite some dance you put on for us last night," Happosai commented.

Ranma became nervous. Akane and Nodoka were beginning to get angry. Everyone else took an immediate interest.

"Oh, yes. I never knew a body could move like that," Mousse added, laughing.

Ranma yelled, "What are you talking about? I did no such thing!"

"Well I wouldn't have called it a dance, per say," Mousse began. "I'd call it drunkenly going into a combat stance. Followed by a mad dash to the toilet."

"You're such a spoil sport," Happosai pouted.

After Nabiki quickly finished her breakfast, she picked up her notebook and asked, "I was wondering: for the reception, what should we order for food? I was thinking of either roast pig or roast duck."

Ryoga and Mousse turned obvious shades of green at that comment. Nabiki grinned at look of their faces, while Ranma chuckled. Nodoka was a little confused. Akane fumed. The others just ignored the reaction.

Akane forcefully said, "Nabiki! Please keep in mind that some of the guests have a distinct dislike for those foods."

"So what do you suggest?" Nabiki asked, dryly.

"Um... I'm, uh, not sure," Akane failed to answer.

"Don't worry about details, Dear. Leave everything to Kasumi and me," Nodoka interjected, smiling.

"We'll make sure everything is perfect," Kasumi added.

"Are you sure you can handle it all?" Akane asked.

"Don't worry, we can handle it," Nodoka assured her.

"If you need any help, I'll be glad to lend a hand," Mousse volunteered.

"I can also help," Ryoga added.

"Don't you have school to go to?" Nodoka asked.

"I do not go to school," Mousse said.

Ryoga nodded. "Me neither."

"Why not?" Nodoka wondered.

"I graduated," Mousse answered truthfully as his home village's school didn't continue into high school.

"Me too!" Ryoga added quickly, not wanting to go into details as why he didn't go to school. The others chose to ignore his statement.

Nodoka blinked. "Oh. Then we'll appreciate your help with the wedding."

"Just make sure you don't send Ryoga somewhere alone. Or he'll end up lost," Ranma commented, earning him a glare from Akane and a snarl from Ryoga.

Kasumi held up a stack of cards. "Ranma, Akane, I made up wedding invitations for you to give out. I also contacted some friends and family that don't live near by and invited them."

"Who did you invite?" asked Akane.

Kasumi paused in thought. "Let's see: there is Akari, the tea ceremony couple, our grandparents, our cousins, and some others. The list is near the phone, the ones with check marks are the ones who're coming. Those with dashes aren't."

"You didn't invite my parents, did you?" Genma asked, terrified.

"No, I haven't gotten a hold of them, but I've left some messages for them," Kasumi replied.

"Good! Don't invite them. Bad things will happen if they're around." Genma prayed they would not find the messages.

Nodoka shivered, apparently at the thought of seeing her in-laws.

"If you say so," Kasumi shrugged.

"We'd better get going," Akane said.

"Why? It's still early," Ranma noted.

"We need to get some of these invitations out before school," Akane pointed out.

Ranma shrugged. "Oh. Bye!"

"Bye," replied everyone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:

I'd still like to give thanks to my original pre-readers of this chapter: David Tatum, Byran Neef, Rea Konecki, and the Rams.

If you think Akane is a little sedated in this chapter and not her normal angry self. You are slightly mistaken. She is angry, but at herself and there by cannot release her anger on her normal targets (Ranma or representations there of.) Part of her being angry at herself is that she took the blame personally that she didn't know Ryoga was P-Chan, and that is why bacon wasn't being served the next morning. She's also being distracted by her approaching wedding and her pregnancy to really consider what him being P-Chan means (seeing her naked, held in against her chest, etc...) If I was Ryoga, I'd be careful not to do anything that could remind her of that.

Some of you may think Kodachi gave up too quickly. She knew she was losing Ranma for a while. In the story where Ranma had a date with Kodachi to go against Kodachi's rival Asuka the White Lily in a contest for who had the best boyfriend, Kodachi admitted she knew Ranma didn't love her. (BTW: Akane insisted that Ranma went on the date after Asuka insulted Ranma's looks.)