Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Trial By Fire ❯ Chapter 7 - Serenity ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Trial By Fire

Section I: Melodies of Life

Chapter 7: Serenity

Author: Jial Silverthorn (jial_silverthorn@hotmail.com)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

<....> denotes a thought, not verbally spoken. When it involves Ranma/Ranko/Akane, the other(s) can possibly ‘hear’ it.

[....] denotes a feeling or a short action, usually before speech takes place.

*....* denotes a sound effect

(....) denotes writing

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Feeling a hand nudge her shoulder, Ranko lightly swings at the person.

Ranko:           *mumbling* Go away...need sleep.

Nodoka:        So you have said repeatedly over the past two days daughter. Now I am afraid that I must have you wake up.

Ranko:           Huh? Mom, what’s up?

Nodoka:        While I do not doubt that you needed the rest, I must ask you for some help. With Akane and Ranma away...

Ranko:           The twins do play. Give me a moment to compose myself. [Ranko’s eyes widen as a portion of what Nodoka said settles in] And did I hear ya right? You said I’ve been sleepin’ for 2 DAYS now?

Nodoka:        Indeed you have, aside from the occasional trip to the restroom, after which you fell back to sleep without saying a word to anyone. Dr. Tofu said that you were just under a great deal of stress and that sleep was the best course of action. However, Yume has been asking for you, and I think that she will get out of hand if her favorite Aunt does not show up soon.

Pushing herself into a sitting position, Ranko frowns. Her normal outfit is a wrinkled mess, her hair a tangled mop. Scrunching her nose up lightly, she realizes that it really has been a few days, judging by her sense of smell.

Ranko:           Ok, I’ll be more than a few minutes, but I’ll be down ta help you soon enough, k Mom?

Nodding, Nodoka leaves the room, a smile on her face.

Nodoka:        <I really hope she gets over her troubles. The time she spends with the twins is precious, and she makes them happy. And having more little ones around is always nice. Maybe the twins will guide her down that road. Even if it does not, is nice having my daughter around the house. Although the circumstances are not the best, I will take what I have now.>

Ranko:           Ugh, teach me to let out all those emotions and follow it up with a half-decent fight again. Nothin’ like fallin’ over dead for two days while the brain decides which end is up again.

Sliding out of bed, Ranko gasps as her body tenses in pain. Shaking the fog from her head, she mentally checks over her ‘injuries’.

Ranko:           What the hell? It’s not like I broke anything, so why am I hurtin’ a lot more today than after that fight with Shinai?

Shrugging, she grabs a spare outfit, consisting of a light blue blouse, and black silk pants along with a fresh change of underclothes. Quickly rounding up a robe and her bath supplies, Ranko heads towards the furo, her mind ablaze with questions and concerns.

Ranko:           <Well, I guess I was tired. I mean that fight wore me out, and what happened before...>

Putting up the occupied sign, Ranko heads into the furo, her movements slowed by the haze of exhaustion. Quickly taking off her clothes, she sighs as the events of the past year begin to make themselves known in her memories.

Ranko:           <Things have been a mess. All those problems at school, Kuno finally developing a brain, and then there is the twins and the joy they have brought to life around here.>

Walking over to the stool, Ranko takes a seat and fills up a bucket with cold water, turning it over onto her head. Shivering as the cold shock wakes her brain up further, Ranko chuckles.

Ranko:           Some things...never change. No matter how used ta that water I think I am, it still manages to wake me up. From the first day at Jusenkyo, even until today, cold water still snaps me back to reality. Somehow, I don’t think that’ll ever change, and I’m kinda glad. Its good ta be reminded of reality every now and again.

Reaching for the soap, Ranko gives her body a thorough but quick cleaning. Washing away the soap, she slides into the now full furo, easing into the hot water.

Ranko:           <This is always a comfort, letting myself relax in here. Nothin’ beats laying here for a few minutes and letting the pain flow out. And while I have the peace, I might as well try to unravel that ball again. Not like it’s gonna do anything by itself...>

Letting her mind drift, Ranko focuses on the gentle warmth slowly working through her body. Eventually, she is back by her pond, the familiar ball of energy hovering next to her. Looking off to her side, she notices the separate pieces from her first endeavor and smiles weakly.

Ranko:           I made a little progress last time, gotta keep it up. Fear...is not an option. Either I get over this, or it will break me in half. And that will affect bro and Acchan. I can not let them deal with this, it’s my fight.

Reaching into the ball, Ranko begins to tremble as that deep green glow surrounds her again. Bracing for the scene that she dreads, she begins to tremble.

Ranko:           This day...it hurts the most. I FELT my brother just slip away, almost happy. He gave me a shot ta live, at the cost of his own life. I mean, I was happy ta stay as his sister in his dreams. I had no guarantee I’d ever see him again, and he did this for me.

Looking down, she watches as the memory plays out. Feeling the wrenching sensation take hold, she shudders as the joy of being reborn blends with the pain of Ranma giving up his life. Clenching her fists tightly, Ranko’s aura flickers from red to blue to black, and then back to red.

Ranko:           <I will never forget the debt I owe ya. Someday, I’ll make it up to you, bro; just not sure how or when...>

Snapping her head up, she watches as the piece falls away, pulsing brightly. Lightly touching the ball, a soft pink glow surrounds her. Looking around, Ranko smiles as she looks at herself, watching over the twins.

Ranko:           Those two really are cute, more so as time goes on. I suppose the least I can do is help when I am able. It’s kinda nice, being around them all the time, if only because I forget the troubles of the day, and whatever is bugging me.

Ranko turns as she hears one of the twins cry. Watching this memory, she smiles and lets herself be drawn into that calm day. Reaching down, she picks up Yume and holds her carefully, sitting back in a chair. Rocking her gently, Ranko unbuttons her blouse and begins feeding Yume, her voice a faint echo.

Ranko:           Just like your father, always hungry...At least Tofu managed ta find a way to make it possible to keep up with you. I think Acchan would fall over if she had to keep you two fed. I can already tell you are gonna be a strong girl, both in body and mind...

Letting herself detach from that memory, Ranko’s feels a little bit of sorrow creep into her heart, along with the warmth. Sinking to her knees, the piece from the ball floats away near the rest. Ranko winces as the pain destroys what little of her control she had left. Feeling her concentration slip away from her she begins to cry as the dream is dispelled and she is forced back into reality.

Ranko:           <Oh hell, how long have I been in here for?>

Lifting herself out of the water, she dries off quickly and slips into her fresh outfit. Running to her room, she drops off the supplies before dashing downstairs.

Ranko:           Sorry ‘bout that kinda lost track of time...again.

Nodoka:        Do not be concerned, you have missed nothing. Are you sure you do not need any further rest, you seem a trifle pale.

Ranko shakes her head and smiles. Looking around, she spots Yume. Walking over to where her niece is sitting, Ranko is promptly hugged tightly.

Yume:            Auntie!

Ranko:           [blushing] Nice to see you too little one. Have you missed me that much?

Yume nods and smiles, her eyes glowing with happiness. Reaching up, she wraps her arms around Ranko’s neck. Sighing, Ranko stands up, keeping her niece well balanced.

Nodoka:       I still say you look good like that daughter, hopefully one day you will listen to me.

Ranko turns and faces her mother who is busy keeping Masa at ground level. Lifting him up gently, Nodoka sets him on the couch gently.

Nodoka:        These twins definitely take after their father. Lively, full of energy, and very hungry, although it will be interesting to see how much they change over the years. I will enjoy watching that change, as opposed to wondering what happened.

Ranko:           Yeah, ya got that right. About the only thing that MIGHT stay the same is, training these kids in the Art. It is a good way to keep them occupied, and in shape. However, it’ll be done here, with the family, instead of sneaking away like some bandit.

Nodoka:       I will not deny that. But that is in the future, let us deal with the present. Now that you have had a touch of motherhood, do you think you will want more?

Ranko:           [closing her eyes] I...I don’t know. I have enjoyed helping out with these two. But there is so much I have left to deal with. Still have a hard time with my relationships. I mean, the one guy who was still determined enough to try one last time has stepped aside. Everyone else is afraid of me or bro, depending on the reason.

Opening her eyes, she walks over to where Nodoka is standing and sets down Yume. Running her hand through her niece’s hair she smiles.

Ranko:           Play nice with your brother, ok? I’ll be right back.

Yume:            Ok. Masa, TAG!

Watching Yume jump down off the couch and run away, Nodoka chuckles. Gently taking Ranko’s left hand, she guides her to the couch and sits down.

Nodoka:        Half of my problem is, I never got to deal with you growing up. In one brief moment, you went from an almost forgotten memory to alive and full grown. I am still so grateful to see you here today, even though it has been almost 2 years now since you came back to us.

Ranko gently hugs her mom, small tears forming. Letting the sea of emotions wash over her, Ranko shakes slightly.

Ranko:           [weakly] All I want right now...is someone who wants me for who I am, not who I happen to be related to. Someone who can look past the history and power and find the lonely girl inside. Just once, I’d like ta sit down with a guy, have dinner, maybe see a movie, and just sit and talk. No martial arts, no crazy people dropping in, just two people having a nice quiet evening. Am I askin’ too much from life?

Nodoka:       [holding Ranko close] No my daughter, you are not asking too much. You only want what everyone else does, and deserves. I only hope that you do not give up at any time, as you will find what you seek in the most irregular of places. As much as you despise him, your father is a prime example of what I speak about.

Ranko:           *YAWN* I...I understand what ya are sayin’ mom, and I’ll try not ta lose hope. I guess I was expecting too much too fast. Sheesh, I am STILL tired, and I got that much sleep, I must have been really tired when I crashed.

Hearing a pair of voices yelling in the background, Ranko smiles and sits up, brushing her hair away from her face.

Nodoka:        It sounds like those two are at it again, doesn’t it?

Ranko:           Mmhmm, sounds like Masa is winning this time. Thanks for the talk, it helped out a lot. I’ll go check on ‘em and make sure nobody is getting hurt.

Watching Ranko stand up and walk off to find the twins, Nodoka wipes a few tears from the edge of her eyes. Sitting back, she sighs and smiles weakly.

Nodoka:        <And that helped me out a lot too. It is good to have my family here now, and I willnot let anything disturb this peace. My children and theirs will not have chaos govern their lives any more, if I can deal with it. This little patch of normalcy is too valuable, I want it to continue for as long as it can.>

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author’s Note:

1)          Almost done with Ranko’s ‘dream’ sequences, so thanks for putting up with them

2)         Ya know, it is NOT that hard to put up a review, and it helps me keep writing faster. So do us bith a favor and leave a review, even if you think this is crap and should be stopped. I know I write slowly, but cut me a break will ya?

Next Chapter: Chapter 8 – Thoughtless (Artist: KoRn, Album: Untouchables)