Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Umbra Aureola ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
LEGAL JUNK

Ranma ½ and the right to produce derivative works there of (like a fan fiction...) belong to Rumiko Takahashi. This work is created without her permission or endorsement in any form or manner and as such violates Rumiko Takahashi's said rights. The characters, plot, and setting created in here, and not previously existing in any other works, are however, mine. Any legal statements I make can only apply to characters that are mine. Any other legal dispute should be addressed to the true owner of the said intellectual property. As other works may be mentioned indirectly in this fan fiction, including other fan fictions... keep this in mind.

I personally have no problems with distribution of this work in any manner desired. (E.g. Web postings, paper airplanes, as psychological warfare, spoken by assassins before making the kill...) Though I personally suggest not committing major crimes to do so (e.g. Selling this work). Any action that is taken with the distribution of this fan fiction, unless done by me, I claim no responsibility for. If you are unsure of the legality of your distribution method I suggest you don't do it.

Anyone wishing to site, add, modify or derive a fan fiction, short story, or otherwise connect to this fan fiction, characters, or setting here in has my full permission. Of course, to do so legally you still need Rumiko Takahashi's permission. As such it is a mute point. Of course, you may be deriving an unauthorized work off of Rumiko Takahashi anyway, in which case legality isn't really that big of a concern, now is it?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



AND SO IT BEGINS...

---- Umbra Aureola

Formerly Titled:

---- Ranma ½ - The Arch Mage Saga

Created by

----- Xylix

Original World Created By

----- Rumiko Takahashi


PROLOGUE: THE RITUAL

A powerful rush of wind howled against the rustic tower's craggy surface. The wooden shutters rattled against the stone, their rotten beams threatening to be ripped free by the potent gusts. The tower creaked barely standing against the forces of nature. The hard clank of a rock made its way through the night as the rubble bounced its way down the broken steps before falling free through a gutted section of wall.

Anito pulled his cloak tighter against the chill breeze that slipped into the inner chamber. The candles that encircled briefly flickered straining to survive against even the weak wind. Anito squinted in the dim light overlooking his masterpiece. A massive magical circle carved deeply into flawless stone.

Anito carefully placed a yellow plastic funnel into the stone trench. He grunted, straining to heft a heavy bucket. The wizard poured a thick stream of glistening quicksilver into the funnel. The liquid metal raced around the circle filling it until it threatened to spill free.

Lifting the funnel free Anito stepped back to get a clear view of the mystical creation. The circle itself was a massive construction, spanning five meters in radius. The lines and twisting runes of various sizes flowed into each other like a thick bramble. The complicated work meshed in such a way that even through the apparent chaos design could be clearly seen. Of all the circle only the center of a single meter radius was left empty.

Anito's eyes traced the shining surface meticulously. "Life and death, still and breath. Day and night, dark and light. It's done." Anito reading over only the smallest portion of the runes one final time.

Sighing the wizard stretched out loosing stiff muscles. Checking the circle took a long time. He had already spent hours upon hours checking and rechecking just to make sure that not a single flaw had snuck its way into the careful construction. While looking at the circle he could not help but smile. This was his masterpiece. An accumulation of years of work, and a spell so daring that its success would shake the foundation of magery for all of history.

"It cannot be done, eh?" He said to himself. "Light and dark are mutually exclusive. But they can't see what I see. If they did they would know how very wrong they are." Anito spoke thinking back to the council.

He remembered his fellow wizards, their noses stuck in books researching sources of power, spirits and the like. He however had chosen a different path, pioneering a new theory, an united theory, of magic. He had pushed and even Thaumaturlogicly proven his work to be correct. Unfortunately, until this moment, Thaumaturlogicly was the only way he could prove his work. A fact not forgotten by his colleagues when they had laughed at his audacious ideas. "Magic and ki the same thing? Surely you jest!" they had said.

Well, not all of them, the council itself had made him an honorary arch-mage for his work on high ki manipulation theory, the youngest in history by nearly three decades. He suspected however, that the title was more for his research into enchantment and his work on the identification of many ancient magical artifacts than any thing else. Still it would be satisfying to prove them all wrong. Unfortunately, he would never be able to tell them, the spell he worked tonight was far, far too dangerous to fall into the hands of others. In fact it was too dangerous to be in his hands. His attempt to cast it proving that without a doubt. Never mind that he himself had invented the spell.

Anito walked near the wall and picked up the artifact Kinjakan and placed the magical weapon's shaft into a thin deep hole made for that express purpose. From that hole another quicksilver filled groove stretched out to joining the circle right at the rune of fire. From there the complex weave poured out through the rest of the monstrous creation. There was no reaction to the placement of the staff. Nor was there wasn't supposed to be. Not at least, until he started the casting of the spell.

Anito grinned; it had taken quite a while to convince the people of Phoenix Mountain to lend him the artifact, despite his good work with Joketsukozu artifacts. It had surprised him when they suddenly reversed their decision only a week before allowing him the right to hold the artifact for research purposes. Not that studying the artifact was his intention of course, but Anito found it highly unlikely they would have lent it to him if he had informed them he was going to use its magical energy to fuel a spell he couldn't cast.

Anito walked into the center of the circle taking care to not disturb the quick silver as he did so. Once there he thought with amusement. "Actually I can't cast any spells." He glanced at the artifact, "Without help that is." Anito laughed at this. "And yet I am still the best mage alive. The universe truly has a certain sense of irony." Anito grinned even wider. "Well we will see who laughs last."

Anito breathed in deep. "That which lies in death darkness I invoke thee. That which stills the breath darkness I invoke thee. That which brings the night darkness I invoke thee. That which hates the light darkness I invoke thee. With thy name darkness I bind thee."

The circle crackled with dark lightning. Kinjakan glowed coiling red flames radiating from the metal weapon like hell fire. Energy flooded down the silver line in a torrent of virulent black liquid. It was a twisting, gut wrenchingly demonic force. The room tasted of distilled evil, and even Anito caught up in the spell as he was could feel its perverted corrupt power. It aura of darkness was so thick that it could be literally smelt or even tasted upon the air itself. This fact, this corrupted energy however, slowed the arch-mage not a bit.

"That which gives us breath light I invoke thee. That which stills the death light I invoke thee. Which brings the day, light I invoke the. That finds the way light I invoke thee. With they name light I bind thee."

The circle pulsed again as pure white energy roared forth. It flowed into the circle filling the half opposite the darkness. With both halves filled the entire circle glowed with visible power. Never once though did the flow of pure light touch its antithesis. The two spiraled moved and flowed through their separate paths like chained beasts rattling at their cages seeking escape, but all their effort was in vain. There was no escape and no getting to one another.

Forced along their path the twin snakes of energy ran through rune after rune. Eddies formed under the flows of light and dark, slowly changing the nature of the raw power. Over and over again it happened each time the effect propagating throughout the stream integrating itself into the core of the two beasts held in check. Until finally Kinjakan went dim completely sapped of all its power.

"With thy names I call thee, Darkness come, Light come. Burn through this world with your awesome power, join together in an divine maelstrom whose potent force shall shake the pillars of heaven!"

Power exploded from the circle as fire, lighting, ice, wind, earth and a hundred other elements, human and non, erupted in sheets of searing bright energy spiraling up from the construct in concentric waves. The walls of the tower cracked and bulged. The wooden shutters strained and then finally exploded into splinters. Even the candles were snuffed out in the terrible maelstrom of energy that cascaded about the room like a hurricane.

Anito stood silently in the eye of the raging storm his mind focused inward and only barely aware of the monstrous effects that threatened to shake the tower to rubble. Calming himself against the inner rush of power Anito finalized weaving of the spell. It was a fastidious process the slow smoothing of even the smallest of errors. Errors created by the flaws human hands had left in the circle. Flaws that integrated themselves into what would otherwise be perfect streams of power.

Anito paused and thought. It was now or never. With the artifact destroyed to stop would mean certain death at the hands of the bird people. To continue may very well mean utter obliteration. On the other hand, if it worked as he had calculated it would work everything would change.

Then he nodded mind made up. Adding the last threads to the spell the wizard opened the final gates of the circle. With the lightest touches of energy, which were incidentally the only kind he could muster, he spoke the final words of the spell. "Let there be light!"