Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Wishes & Other Unnatural Disasters ❯ Be Careful What You Wish For... ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wishes & Other Unnatural Disasters

Prologue-Be Careful What You Wish For…

By: Hime (updates at himes_fanfiction-subscribe@yahoogroups.com)

Comments & Flames at hime@alloymail.com

DISCLAIMER: Characters do not belong to me; they belong to Rumiko Takahashi. However, this story does, so please enjoy but don't touch…

~*~*~*~

"…I wish I may, I wish I might

Grant me the wish I wish tonight."

--Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

~*~*~*~

'I only have one wish so I have to be careful.' Akane thought to herself as she stared at the golden pendant she held in the palm of her hand. Sitting on her bed in her yellow pajamas, she scrunched her eyes together as tightly as she clenched the pendant in her hand before realizing how stupid she must look. 'What the hell am I doing? There's no way that this pendant will grant me a wish. I was stupid to buy it from that old peddler.' She snorted at the memory. But the thought of a wish coming true had been too tempting to pass up and so she bought it, wearing it around her neck for the rest of the day like the peddler had told her to do, so that the pendant would get attuned to her energy.

'What would I wish for anyway? For Ranma to love me?' A frown came over the girl's face. Perhaps that would be what the other girls would wish for, but for Akane, she shuddered at the thought. 'What kind of love is that if it's not freely given?' Akane thought back to the time they had all been to the beach and Shampoo had tried to make Ranma fall in love with her by use of a love pill. She shook her head slowly. 'Not the kind of love I would want from him.' She clutched the pendant in her hand again.

'So what then?' a voice inside her head asked her, 'What would you wish for?'

"I wish…" unconsciously, Akane began to talk out loud, her voice echoing slightly in the quiet bedroom. Unknown to her, the pendant tucked away in her hand began to glow slightly. "I wish that there could be some kind of way for me to be together with Ranma, without anyone getting upset at us or trying to kill one of us." As soon as the words left her mouth, the pendant stopped glowing just as mysteriously as it had started. Akane sighed in exasperation and fell backwards onto her bed. 'Oh that's the most stupidest wish ever! I should have just wished for a horse like I did when I was younger.' Looking at the pendant in her hand, lying there so innocently, she gave it a glare. 'If Ranma ever heard what I wished for, he would die laughing.' And he really would die laughing. Akane would kill him before he stopped. Sitting up, Akane carelessly tossed the necklace onto her nightstand and crawled under her covers. Settled in her cozy bed, Akane began to drift off into sleep with a tiny smile on her face. 'I wonder what would have happened if I did wish Ranma would love me…'

~*~*~*~

"Yo Akane!" A heavy hand pounded on her door, awakening the sleeping girl inside.

Akane mumbled something that vaguely sounded like a curse under breath and pulled her covers up and over her head, as if the blanket would drown out the noise coming from outside her door.

The door creaked open and a young man began to silently creep into the room, a glass of water held in one of his hands. With a mischievous smile, he held the glass over the sleeping figure, ready to pour the cold liquid when a voice called out from under the covers.

"Do it and die."

Smiling, he carefully put the glass on a convenient surface and said, "Morning 'kane. Mom said to wake you up 'cause breakfast is already made."

Still a bit groggy, it took Akane a few moments to realize that Ranma had said 'Mom.' She threw the blanket off her head and sat up in a rush. "Mom?"

"Yeah, mom told me to go and wake you up." He grinned at her and continued, "Which is really weird since you're the one usually waking me up."

With trembling hands, Akane brought her hands to her lips. 'Mom's alive?' She could feel her lips spread into a huge smile even as tears filled her eyes. 'Our mother's alive!' She said to herself joyfully. 'Our mother-wait a minute. Our mother?'

Ranma looked at her with slight concern in his eyes. "Hey, you alright?"

Seeing the look upon his face, Akane decided it was better to act as if nothing out the ordinary for her had occurred. "Of course. I'm just still half asleep." She said, rubbing her eyes in hopes it would make her lie look more convincing. If there was ever a moment that Akane felt less like sleeping, this one was it. She gave a sigh of relief when Ranma just nodded his head.

"Well I better go so you can change. School's in half an hour and we still hafta eat breakfast. You know how mom gets."

As he started to slip out her door, Akane muttered to herself under her breathe, "How the hell do we have the same mother?"

Giving Akane a look over his shoulder, Ranma said, "Hey, I heard that. It's only natural to have the same mother when you're twins, you idiot."

"You're my brother?" Akane had no control over her words, the question rushing out of her without any thought.

Ranma gave her an annoyed look, thinking the question to be a joke on her part. "Of course I'm your brother. I've been you're brother for sixteen years now." And with that, he slammed the door shut.

With a blank stare, Akane looked the door for a few moments before turning to look at the blanket crumpled in her lap. What in the world was going on? Unconsciously, her hands went to play with the pendant that hung around her throat. 'What the hell?' she asked herself as she realized what she was doing. With trembling hands she brought the pendant out as far as the chain would stretch and saw the golden pendant she had held the night before.

"I wish that there could be some kind of way for me to be together with Ranma, without anyone getting upset at us or trying to kill one of us."

Shaking her head wildly, Akane thought about what she had said the night before. The wish she had made accidentally had apparently come true. 'I wanted to be with him without obstacles and now I'm his sister!' Akane didn't know whether to laugh or cry hysterically. Clutching her head in both hands she did the only thing she could do. She did both.

~*~*~*~

Author's Notes:

You know what? The first fanfic I ever came up with was a Ranma ½ story. Though at the time I didn't know it was fanfiction-I thought I was playing with my younger brother. Go Fig. And now here is my first web published Ranma ½ fiction but I have to let you guys know something; I have no idea what's going to happen with this story. If possible I would like to finish this piece, but it'll have to wait until one of my other stories is completed. *sigh* I do tend to write that same sentence over and over…

Hime

6/10/02