Realism Fan Fiction ❯ Repaired Shards ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"So, what do you think about your life, now that it's over?"

"You mean after the crisis of Friday-Monday? Well, now that you've said that, with Margaret and Laetitia, I suppose, that I might head to a certain way of life of a parent." The woman in the driver's seat giggled, feeling amused by the idea Madlax a role of a parent, which something she did not see much in her rival.

"Really now?" Limelda said, with a pinch of curiosity, "Are you and Margaret in a relationship?" The dark-haired mercenary looked at the dark-haired woman, Limelda seems normal as before, which – when there was any as such? Madlax shivered from disturbing feeling.

Limelda noticed what she caused, but the question is meant towards curiosity, rather than mere entertainment. Madlax, however, ignoring Limelda's obvious curiosity, put thought on the question. In the past two weeks since the event to prevent Monday-Friday from destroying society, Madlax noticed some changes in Margaret's behaviour.

As to the aftermath of the incident, Margaret became conscious of the environment, and even more so giving trust in the self, being the caregiver of Laetitia and doing something for herself.

Overall, the experience left her to be someone with a more mature age, although with these new attributes to her character, she is, in many ways, still Margaret. The sweet and humble Margaret, yet, may no longer be naïve... Madlax thinks of certain events between her and Margaret, and yet, that was four days ago – as it was a quiet, intimate conversation of self-acceptance and love. Then she followed the course of a satisfied smile and hugged Margaret, with a quiet whisper of gratitude.

"To think about it now ..." Madlax let out a small smile as she said these words, and Limelda asks to hear: "And then what?"

"Still ... The question is interesting, scary person," The two former rivals shared a short laugh, both the Asian mercenary and the European mercenary felt better acquainted with, oddly enough.

The short, shallow laughter ended, and then satisfied smiles. Limelda cleared her throat, and saturated the parched lips with her wet tongue; she wants to continue the conversation.

"... But seriously, in all fairness, have the two of you got to the level of closeness and security?"

Madlax sighed wistfully, and answered, but with certainty, "We are not quite at that stage yet, but if Margaret wants to be with me, where I'm sure it is what she wants, then I would be fine with it." Then hearing these words, Limelda failed to be satisfied, and nodded in agreement, "Alrighty then. Seems like a plan to me, but if she rejects you," the woman broke out this mischievous grin on her face, finding part in entertaining the idea of Madlax in a relationship.

The younger woman desperately sighed and chuckled, "Come on, I'm serious."

The older woman, however, nodded, "I know that, Madlax, of course, I'm just messing with you. And of course, Margaret accepts and loves you as you are a part of her, right?" This lead the younger mercenary to smile, "Of course... in many ways, Margaret and I are a part of each other – as it was the past and the feelings we shared in the past two weeks."

Limelda nodded again and smiled, "As it is, do not worry; surely things will work out of both of you." The young woman in lavender eyes widened in surprise of such support, being that the woman who had wanted to kill her from before. But, some people can change - and thus could. Maybe the war changed everything, especially perspective of life in people...

Limelda, without wanting to prolong the seemingly awkward situation as to what might go on in the relationship between Margaret and Madlax, tuned and added with a smile.

"I am sure that she would be happy to see you again, am I right, Madlax?" After a few moments, Madlax started to feel the carefree, temperament self - flashing a wide grin on the other woman, and stretched both her arms, "Why yes, yes, of course!"

"Heh heh, that's a good sign."

"(PHU) Without thinking, of course."

Limelda replied, directing the index finger of the manual handling of the wheel to where the nearby bushes tropical trees and fresh brown dirt. "And that being said, we are almost here now." Ahead of the landscape, the wide range of villas and many people walking.

Because of the time, (in the area of the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea, Egypt and Israel, the fictional country called Gazth-Sonika, in reality, the Gaza strip) now seemed to be late in the evening. The military base, which Limelda and Madlax stayed before had to take care of government radicalism to ensure other citizens in the area were handled peacefully.

The event took place in the southern area of the country, while the chaos is present, even when Margaret had tried managed to reverse such a chaotic concept.

Just ahead of the slope, there was a young woman with brown hair, combed back and locks in the front line, between the frontal view of her face; she wore a simple blouse, a skirt and a brown tie. Next to her was a little girl's hand, her hair colour lighter and brighter than the other, almost having golden brown eyes as opposed to her half's green ones.

As Margaret saw the Jeep's headlights ahead and knowing that, her confident soul is illuminated with happiness and enthusiasm. The fact was, in the last four days of Madlax's absence, and without the aid, Margaret found herself in anxiety, restlessness, and emptiness because of Madlax's welfare.

The Jeep turned to parking and stopped.

(Margaret finds herself in short, halting emotions of something that she could not understand.)

Limelda was first out of the military vehicle – dark hair down to her shoulders, and wearing Marine casual clothes - a black shirt, black boots and army pants. She looked to both the girls and gave off a friendly smile, "Well, hello, girls! It has been a while!" Laetitia, the little girl who is holding Margaret's hand, also smiled, having to be familiar with Madlax's comrade, "Hello, Miss Limelda." Then she turned to Margaret for a smile, "And Margaret? How are you?"

"I'm fine, thank you." Margaret replied with a gentle smile. Before a discussion was functional between the three girls, the second door on the Jeep opened and closed – Madlax as her appearance was waited, both a smile and gleam of confidence in her lavender eyes. Limelda was first comment, "I've had your ass bored, and I congratulate the effort."

Madlax chuckled for her entertainment, "Yes, likewise, Limelda likewise ..." After a brief laugh from her comrade and a short answer. "Yes, of course." Then, she shifted her attention to Margaret and Laetitia, who were ready to see her.

As Madlax faced both her peers, as the only connection and seems as a family, she gave them a warm smile. Mostly, the focus is on Margaret, Madlax's smile grew a little wider, he relieved some features, as if all the more, in an intimate manner. "Margaret ..." Madlax said softly, running the half-gloved fingers to her face, which the contact lead Margaret smile a bit and noticed that the open intimacy was causing attention, she gently took one hand off of her face, and was still smiling at such openness.

"I've missed you," Margaret said, the embarrassment and affection of the fact, and leaned forward with her arms outstretched, enveloping Madax around her neck, giving the physical and intimate contact. Madlax response returned the favor with equal favor, her face heated, and so did her smile, "Oh, I have too,"

Limelda's eyes widened at this sight, almost surprising that what appears – has Madlax previously said that she and Margaret have not reached to this point?

The Asian woman thought a few moments before the hypothetical conclusions, she leaned against the Jeep, and folded her arms and watched the scene considering her comrade, Madlax kissed the other side of her forehead. She continued to watch the couple as they shifted their attention to the little girl who watched them, Madlax and Margaret continued smiling.

"Did you miss me, Laetitia?" Madlax asked, bending down to her height and showed love to the youngest half, with a grin. Laetitia bowed her head and nodded even biting her lower lip nervously. "I miss you." She said in a whisper behind her doll and buried her face to hide her expression.

"Oh, honey, come here, it's okay." Madlax cooed, picking up the girl and stroked her hair. "It's okay," Margaret said.

As she saw it, Limelda realized of how the war has affected them, and twelve years, a very long absence, had affected their mental and emotional structure. Now she realized that any source separation or isolation would hurt them more.

She felt guilty. "Hey, Limelda," She focused on the sound of Margaret's voice and here, she replied: "Yes?" Margaret lends her a shy smile, and she cleared her throat, "Would you like to stay for dinner?"

Limelda felt satisfied with the question of being invited over for dinner with a girl friend of Madlax's, and yet it felt as if she should deal with other matters forward. She showed a polite smile and replied. "I would like to, Margaret, but I will be busy tonight and tomorrow; a late shift at work."

Madlax has held Laetitia in her arms, and was surprised, "Oh?"

"Well, for you, Madlax. – I'll cover you, so you'll have a few days off, you have worked enough, and I think you need much of a break than I." The dark-blonde-haired woman eased with a smile towards the generosity of her comrade. "Well, I see. Thank you Limelda." Limelda nodded: "Yes, it is the least I can do; which I have to be happy about the new family."

Madlax with a slight chuckle, replied, "I'll see you."

Margaret, however, smiled, "I wish you good luck in your work, Limelda."

Limelda continued to smile, "Thank you, Margaret." Then she got into the driver's seat of the Jeep and waved goodbye to the family while passing. "I'll see you guys."

"Goodbye Limelda!" Said the little girl in Madlax's arms, she waved goodbye to the departing woman. Madlax and Margaret replied, "Good-bye and good luck."

As Limelda drove away, she thought more of Madlax and her developing family – "I think Madlax is very lucky to have a family – which she has people have to wait for while at work, and to return to be able to loved..." When her thought had penned, she sighed nostalgically. "Also Margaret… I think I can give her that much support, of being Madlax's complete being."

It's not that Limelda had ever thought of wanting a completeness that Madlax was able to get from her counterparts.

The remainder, in the early evening, the family settled in the small residential area, having prepared to do what Margaret cooked – to be precise, her cooking of mostaccioli pasta. The dough is a little soft, but not less edible to eat in the red sauce, a little meat, Madlax struck up a bit with her index finger, sneaking a taste and smiled at the tangible feeling of the hot sauce. (Then there was the parmesan cheese sprinkled on top of the sauce and the pasta.)

"It looks pretty big, Margaret, do not say you did this all alone." Madlax says while on the shoulders of her counterpart, flashing a sly smile on her own behalf. Margaret, however, chuckled slightly toward the comment and replied to the apparent rise of a little embarrassment. "Well ... it's been a long time since you taught me how to do this."

The dirty-blonde woman rested her chin on the shoulder of the younger woman, with large but careful hands that had placed themselves on the dressed area of her middle section.

She pondered the thought, "Hmm ...," but the idea did not come to pass of what incident she is talking about, so she kissed the top of her head and smiled apologetically. "I'm sorry, Margaret... I do not remember what it was..."

Margaret smiled also in a similar manner, and yet she felt disappointed to see how Madlax receives the response. Feeling her lips on the top of her hair, and her arms enveloping her body, Margaret forgot the answer and felt the comfort of Madlax's loving gesture.

Madlax bowed her head a little, just so the words tickled Margaret's ear: "You know ... that I still love you, right?"

The spoon mixing the sauce in the pot has slowed down the course, and finally stopped. Margaret remained silent for a moment, and reaches out the words, and she replied, although in a hesitant manner. "I... I know that you do, Madlax... I know you cannot do anything to break that promise." Madlax knew that those words do mean a lot – as it means having more responsibility and commitment in a relationship, especially if it is with Margaret and Laetitia. It is a fundamental and important milestone in one's life.

The mercenary sighed, hoping that this might break the awkward and tense atmosphere, had squeezed Margaret for a moment, that the civilized woman squealed of surprise and shortly, with a smile on her face.

The older woman chuckled briefly, smiling warmth and ran her hand over the girl's dressed stomach, Margaret turned her head to the left to Madlax – their eyes closed and Margaret whispered the agreement. "I know you do..."

Then, both slightly disengaged from the kiss by strange, physical heat radiating from their bodies – it's for a short time in content, smiling, Madlax leaned toward her lips Margaret once more, just enough to keep the stress away for another time.

"Mm, dinner is almost ready... Can you call Laetitia over, please?" The older woman rubbed her nose against the younger counterpart, a warm smile and the love spread to the corners of her lips. "All right, then, Margaret." She whispered sincerely, while also having to kiss her forehead and letting her hand linger on the clothed shoulder as she left.

Margaret now gave her own thoughts on the situation, and smiled a little; Madlax's love and support is making her happy. She moved the last piece of the sauce and calmly as she thought, nothing is wrong.

"Laetitia," The mercenary said with some tweet in her voice to open the door a little to the views of the child of herself and Margaret, Laetitia, she found viewing in the window. Madlax went to the child feeling amused; socks touched the floor of the carpet and made little noise as she planned, she picked up the child in her arms.

The child, at wits' end of the action had asked, "What's the occasion?"

"Oh ..." Madlax blew the top of her head, and added a cheeky smile, "Margaret is ready to start dinner, what do you say that we eat?" Laetitia resting her head on her broad shoulders slightly, s completely happy with the idea. "Of course ... dinner sounds good ..."

"All right, then ..." Madlax responded with a soft whisper, as she headed toward the corridor led to the kitchen and the living room together. By then, the older woman into the child to sit in the chair, and decided to help Margaret with two other plates for themselves.

As she did, the civilized mercenary cracked a little smile to the young woman and stole a kiss on her forehead. Margaret nodded silently and merely managed a quick smile.

The child peering for their actions and in the degree ceremony also smiled. Finally, all three members of a relatively small family could eat together. The room was very quiet and the only sound the chewing of the food. After wiping the remaining sauce in the mouth, the older woman smiled at the group. "What a pleasant dinner, Margaret."

The younger woman was the shy, warm smile, her face showing a deep colour of her skin in clear recognition of her cooking. "Why thank you, Madlax... I appreciate it as well."

"I think I am full for tonight." Then came the gentle voice of the child, as she wiped her mouth with a napkin, went out of her chair and placed the bowl in the sink slightly while at a stool, to do so.

"Okay then, Laetitia." Madlax proceeded to get up from her seat and washed her dish as soon as the child went off her stool, and had asked of how her day with Margaret went while she was away. "She felt awfully lonely without you, Madlax, I am sure of it. But sometimes, her loneliness was preoccupied whenever I am in her company, I help her with of what she needs, so that way she doesn't have to feel as lonely. It helped her somewhat, but there was only so much I can do to help her in actuality." Madlax blinked, however, the state of Margaret's mind, should not have surprised her as much and yet... A statement from Laetitia had lead her to look onto the farther distance of the dining room, where there was a solemn-faced, and vacant-eyed Margaret eating away at the remains of her cooked mostaccioli pasta.

The thought of Margaret's loneliness being much more serious as far as clinical depression, now became a concern of Madlax. The ease to dry out the dish had stopped and Laetitia had noticed the complexity of Madlax's expression; it seemed a heavy mixture torn between uncertainty and concern of Margaret's situation. Madlax could not help but to feel terrible for going away for the sake of her job on Margaret's behalf; of course, all three counterparts had lost those closest to them, those who had cared deeply for their welfare in their unknown, subconscious loneliness. While Madlax and Laetitia were used to their surroundings in the Gaza strip and considered it a fact of everyday life in its hard-boiled corruption, Margaret, on the other hand, was not.

In Margaret's lifestyle, she was accustomed more to a sheltered life of tranquillity and privilege and was never exposed to the harshness of reality, with the exception of being up to date in watching news reports. But she never had put as much thought into it as she did not care to because of its lukewarm, dull, and formative perspective. That was her former life.

Her current life now, is consisted of being in a restrictive and oppressive area in a Palestinian territory, whereas being a woman is not easy, there are several, severely strict laws in which there are to follow. Even when living in the safest, demilitarized zone from the opposing groups of the territory, it still was not easy for her, there was much more conflict that dealt into the structure of her mind that kept her in guilt and worry; the guilt of leading, even when she was not a part of it, the deaths of her caring housekeeper, Elenore, and tutor, Vanessa-Rene. The worry being for Madlax's welfare, despite the mercenary knowing full well of her surroundings, and of herself and Laetitia, wondering if she is even fit to take care of a child alone with the absence of Madlax. These feelings were only natural in her current state of mind.

In this stage this serious, of what she wanted was to desperately seek advice with someone she trusts enough to be able to share it with, in order to rid of the burden from her shoulders.

She only knew two people who would even do so, those two people being, Elenore, her faithful housekeeper, five years older than her, and Vanessa-Rene, her tutor considered a family friend of Elenore and Margaret's. The only dilemma being, is that they are no longer alive to help her with it. And knowing full well that she could not bring them back from their deaths by unexpected causes of being entangled in another country's war they had no way of interfering of, this was a weighing factor.

Before she made her final wish, she could have chosen her easiest desire to revive her loved ones and have them free of their pasts of guilty remainders, however, as it would go against the nature of dying, it also being against the plan of God, she had decided against it and chose to see reality in the face without them. She knew of why their deaths came to be; for the sake of her welfare, their love being unconditional. She thought it was best as if their coming back would remained untouched as their memories were far enough for her to treasure, no matter how much she wanted them to be back into her life again...

Margaret...

"Madlax...?" A hand reached out and gently shook her shoulder, bringing the older woman from her deeply centered thoughts, which caused an unnecessary startle, the plate made a loud, clattering sound as it fell into the sink, also startling the younger person who brought her back to reality.