Red River Fan Fiction ❯ The Happening of After the End ❯ Tales From A Nomad ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

All right so this is Chapter 2 Hope you guys enjoy it!
“Tell me it again, Father! Again!” the five-year-old giggled as she rode on her father's broad shoulders to the bazaar. The child had black hair that contrasted her sire's so much that many wouldn't have linked them to be family and ebony eyes that reminded him so much of her mother. In fact, she was the exact copy of Yuri Ishtar, down to the last freckle.
“Which story Sayuri? There are so many I could tell.” He laughed at his daughter's enthusiastic antics and tickled the bottoms of her bare feet causing her more giggles and squirming. Together they trudged up the path toward their small town and passed the first of the shops littering the streets. It was a warm summers day that invited many people to the market to shop and collaborate with their friends.
“ The whole story of Ishtar! With the evil queen and the Mitanni and Egypt. Everything!” she ordered and pulled Kail's hair back so he would be looking up at her eyes.
“Please…” she begged with the most innocent expression on her face that he couldn't resist her request.
“Alright I'll tell you again.” Smiling the man started to tell the story of the war goddess, Ishtar, that captured the prince's love. Stopping to rest the peaceful father lifted his daughter off his shoulders and gracefully sat down. Together they sat in silence, something that was rare for the girl since she usually talked nonstop.
“Excuse me miss, but may I speak with your father for just a moment?” A man with blond, chin length hair and freckles asked as he suddenly stood before them. The little girl couldn't recall ever seeing this person before and wondered if he and her father were related since they didn't resemble each other at all in appearance, but then again neither did she and her father. She decided not to bother with the details.
“Sure if you promise to tell me a tale that I don't know about Ishtar. Father knows lots but he doesn't fool me, he knows more.” She said innocently to the surprised man. Both of the adults stared at her with evident shock in their eyes, because neither expected someone so small to be so cunning. Kail thought he'd done a good job fooling her throughout the five years. She was just as perceptive as her mother had been, who the king had never been able to keep a secret from.
“Ah- of course, Pri-” the man cut off after a dark look from the king that would silence anyone. The quiet that followed and the awkwardness went unrenowned to the girl as she glanced between her father and this stranger with an ignorant face but underneath she was calculating..
“Sayuri, will you go help out the ladies at the bakery? You know they love your help and I'll come get you in a little while, alright?” Kail requested as he put on a poker face for his daughter. He would rather die a thousand deaths than lie to a face that resembled Yuri's but if he was going to live this life then he was going to have to make excuses, no matter how much he didn't want to.
“Come on Father! You know that they like having you around more they want me you make them all stare. You can go though, the man has to tell me a story when you get back, he promised.” She scolded him. Running up to her father she jumped into his arms and automatically he accepted her naturally into them. Planting a kiss on his cheek and pushing back his hair, which had grown to his middle back, she jumped down and skipped to the busy marketplace where she disappeared into the gathering crowd.
She knew that there was something different about the way her father was acting and though she would never voice it, she knew he had secrets that he didn't tell her. Most likely he wouldn't either. Sayuri was ready to accept that so they could continue their peaceful life and never worry over the past evils that might be in her precious fathers life.
“It's good to see you well your majesty. It's a shock to see you in common clothes. Your daughter looks exactly like her majesty. May she rest in peace.” He observed as the two old friends walked back down the path out of town. The serene countryside was soothing the tensions out of the both of them and replacing it with the joy of reunion. Brother and brother, master and servant, it was the same difference for the two.
“What is it, Kikkuri? Surely the war with Egypt isn't that desperate for another general.” He said bluntly, catching Kikkuri offguard and causing him to flinch from his harsh words.
“Unfortunately it is your majesty, and we need you in command or I fear for the country.”
“And who will stay with Sayuri while I am gone?” he asked darkly. The idea of leaving his precious treasure alone absolutely repulsed him. What if something were to happen to her? He loved his daughter immensely since she was all he had left of Yuri except for his son, Mali. Yet no matter how much he loved his children, he'd left Mali to run the country and denied Sayuri her birthright as royalty. Now he was going to have to leave her too, even if it was only for a time.
“She'll stay with Ryui and me in Hatt-“
“Sayuri will never see or go anywhere near that city!” he turned to yell at Kikkuri in anger. “Never will she stand on the roof of the seraglio in a fine dress and look out over the empire! Never will she walk through the streets and watch as the army goes off to defend her country! Never will she see her mother's tomb! Never Kikkuri!”
The two went silent as the forlorn man shouted his last protest. To the messenger it was clear that his former master hadn't yet gotten over the death of his lover, the girl he'd rescued from the spring. In the five years that had passed since he'd left the capital, that hadn't changed, the pain hadn't faded. He'd just hidden it deep inside his common merchants face and life. His royal bloodline and his daughter's nobility, he cared about none of that but the one guilt that he would regret all his life was denying Sayuri the identity of her birthmother. How he wished to tell her about her mothers looks and how much he loved her.
“Then we'll come here, I promise your majesty your daughter will be safe with us.” He tried to reassure him and reached tentatively out to touch Kail's arm.
“Hmm…” the king folded his arms over his chest and pouted as he thought about this new condition. This remote village was far from the frontlines so he was sure Sayuri would be alright physically, however she had never been away from him and if she was anything at all like Yuri then she wouldn't want to be away from him for long, but then again if she was like him then she might be a little tougher and be able to handle this.
“Alright, as long as Sayuri never leaves this village and you promise to protect her.” He complimented at last. Kikkuri visibly sighed and smiled at the concerned father before nodding. “Then how about telling me other things, Mali is eight now so he must have already started training. How is he doing?”
“He's been doing fine. When you left we were a little worried when for a month he wouldn't speak to anyone but Hadi managed to get through to him. She is like a second mother to him, but he'll never forget Queen Yuri. Beside that he been well, he is also very smart and cunning, he beats many of the fully grown soldiers just because he can see their weak spot within a thrust.”
“I don't know where he got that from, Yuri and I can't do that.” Kail pondered and Kikkuri continued.
“Well it might have something to do with the fact that Kash, Mittanamwa, and Rusafa are training him personally.”
“Very true.” He reckoned. “Now what about you Kikkuri? You said children so Tito now has a younger sibling?”
“Yes! Fours years ago Ryui had a daughter, Salma. She's a year younger than Sayuri.”
“Congratulations!” Kail smiled happily at him and looked up at the position of the sun. “Oh, I'm sorry, I need to return Kikkuri, we have to discuss this with Sayuri too.”
“Of course your majesty.”
“I am no longer an king and your are no longer my aid so don't use titles with me Kikkuri.” The man laughed sadly.
“I'll try but somehow I doubt I'll succeed.” He reckoned as the specified child jogged up to them gleaming with delight. Her ivory face was softly flushed both from running and from excitement and they could make out bits of batter on her face and in her hair.
Do I get to hear a story now?!” she asked, thrilled by the prospect of a new tale of adventure. The men stared at the likeness and smiled hesitantly.
“Daughter, I'm going on a trading mission for a while and Kikkuri,” the king motioned to the man standing beside him. “And his family are going to take care of you while I'm gone.” They watched the girls face slowly darken at the idea of being alone with friendly but unknown man. Now he was going to live and provide for her while her father was off on some unknown mission? Yet her only father wouldn't put her in danger, he'd never leave her with someone of whom he didn't trust with his life, and her own as well!
The two adults looked at her silently as she pondered the situation, at first she'd looked repulsed but now she was apparently starting to reason it out and didn't look so apprehensive.
“Alright since Father trusts, I trust you.” She said solemnly and then smiled. “ Take good care of me, alright?'
“O-of course! I'm sure you'll like my children as well.” He stuttered. Turning around the girl started to skip toward the dusty road in front of them leading to their house, not remembering the real reason why they went into town.
So tell me how this chapter was! Oh and by the way, when I wrote this, I'd only read up to the 20th volume so sorry but only Ryui is with Kikkuri! Chapter 3 is all ready written so I just need to edit and post!