Red River Fan Fiction ❯ The Happening of After the End ❯ Merchant's Battlefield ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Here's the next chapter. This'll be another short one but they'll get way longer from here on out. So enjoy!
 
Restless. God how she hated being restless, especially when there truly was nothing to do. When there were things to do, even if she didn't want to do them, they got done. However when there truly was not one thing to be done, it drove her crazy. Never in her life had she ever had the notion to leave the town that she'd never before left. The safe valley of which was her sanctuary and home. And never had she felt so angry with her father, he was being way too overprotective she thought. At the tender age of nine she asked her father to teach her swordsmanship and he was happy to agree. Her skills had surpassed his own by the age of fourteen. She knew everything from cooking to sewing to medicinal practices and archery, but he still said the same thing.
 
“Father I want to be more of a help to the country,” she'd stated, “I want to join the infantry and fight for the king.” At first he had brushed it aside uncomfortably instead saying that the empire didn't have a king and that she was too young anyway. At dinner that night though he'd snapped.
 
“Absolutely not! Do you know how difficult it is to survive a war? You always have to be watching, never letting your guard down for a moment. It's too dangerous.” He'd bellowed at her. They'd been having a quiet supper, which wasn't very quiet anymore.
 
“Ishtar fought in many wars, why can't I. She protested, trying to reduce her voice to a normal level while her father wasn't but wasn't succeeding.
 
“Ish-, Yur-, She was different!” he stumbled. “She was older than you and protected at all times, you wouldn't be so, no!” After that he had gone to his room and shut the door not appearing the rest of the night so as not to have to think of her proposition.
 
That left her trudging to the village alone the next morning after she spent the whole night sleeplessly, very much annoyed. Sayuri passed by shops having just opened and now bustling with activity, all the while hearing the gossip of the town.
 
“Did you see?”
 
“Yes, yes the price of wheat…”
 
“Good Morning…”
 
All that babble meant nothing but as she passed by another group she suddenly pricked her keen ear to listen.
 
“Did you hear? There's a recruitment going on in Hattusa, there is a need for more soldiers in the army.” An old man who she knew was saying to some younger travelers as they passed by his shop with their swords. Sayuri walked up to him and inquired,
 
“They're taking anyone? Is the war really that desperate?” she asked the shocked and bewildered group. They looked sideways at each other before carefully replying.
 
“Anyone who can handle a sword, apparently they want an infantry unit always on stand by.” One of them said, clearly not understanding why a young woman, a very young woman, would want to know something like that. “Why would someone like you want to know that?” a red headed one said reproachfully.
 
“Someone like me?”
 
“Yes, a young woman has no reason for wanting to know about the capital. You're to be working for your father or husband as it may be,” he laughed once, “unless you're some prostitute that is dying to get away from costumer by seducing him into wa-“ he was cut off when suddenly the tip of a sword, her concealed sword, came up to graze the base of his throat.
 
“Don't you dare,” she ordered through gritted teeth, “Insult me that way.”
 
“Get away from me bitch. You can't even use that.” He slurred as he pushed away the blade.
 
“I can to use it!” She shouted, catching the attention of the people who weren't already watching the scene play out. The shop owner was glancing between the two nervously and the brawler's friends were staring at them with amusement gleaming in their eyes.
 
“Oh really, then prove it little girl! Beat me and I'll admit you can handle a sword.” He challenged and flinched slightly as a freakish grin spread across Sayuri's face.
 
“Great!” she smiled and started to skip off down the street toward the edge of town, wouldn't want to fight in the town and cause a ruckus. The shopkeeper ushered after her and the group of ruffians followed after them.
 
“Sayuri what is the matter? You know the last time you got into a fight for no reason you got into trouble with your father.” The keeper asked as her trotted next to her. She was fast for a short girl and even the younger villagers couldn't keep up with her.
 
“I can't stand it when people look down on women, it isn't right!” she said frustratingly and the shopkeeper didn't know what to say besides shaking his head. She had odd outlooks on rights, women had always been below men and that wasn't going to change. He knew of no woman who opposed there standing, well Ishtar did but she doesn't count. They'd reached a plain of grass just outside the outskirts of the village and the ruffians, along with Sayuri and a few people who came to watch made a huge circle, like an arena. Just the red haired man stepped forward and Sayuri took out her blade again as they began to circle each other and got ready. Sayuri got into a defensive position and the man laughed at her immediate movement.
 
“You scared girl?”
 
“Nope.”
 
“Then why don't you attack?”
 
“You'll see, go on, attack me.” She grinned evilly again and the crowd was a little unnerved at how much she seemed to be enjoying this. As if on cue the man jumping forward with his sword raised above her head, she's dead, the audience thought and some closed their eyes as Sayuri stood there as if to take the blow.
 
“Move Sayuri!” Someone in the crowd yelled and she did indeed. Sliding to the side she allowed the burly man trip passed her and the crowd had to move in order to get out of the way. Growling he turned around and ran back again at her full speed, kicking up red dust. He thought he had her then, she waited so long until she at last jumped out of the way and this time he fell trying to stop. This was starting to entertain the watcher and they laughed, even the man's friends did.
 
It turned into a dance of swords, he got better at staying upright and soon he was swings every step he took but none landed and they hadn't yet clashed swords. He was getting tired though and his movements were sluggish while hers had been continuously swift. Comments started spouting off when he got desperate. Bitch, whore, he started to insult her friends, family, everything he could think of that would annoy her. She was not one to fall victim to criticism though.
 
“You're the daughter of a bitch.” He yelled.
 
“Sayuri finish the now and I won't tell your father I saw you picking a fight.” A voice yelled from in the crowd and almost immediately when he launched himself at her she didn't moved and instead lurched into his leap and the audience couldn't see what happened, only that the rapscallion's sword was in the dirt some distance away and he was on the ground. No blood though, that was something she refrained from doing.
 
“Say it.” She ordered coldly as she stood over him. The rest of his group had slipped away when it ended, the cowards.
 
“You're good.”
 
“Don't underestimate women again.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Okay then.” She smiled suddenly and not the odd grin she had before but a dazzling one that lit up her whole face and even the man glanced twice at it. She hadn't even broken a sweat, how pitiful. She turned around and saw the source of the voice during the match.
 
“Kikkuri! Ryui! Salma, Tito!” she greeted them and rushed over to hug the family, leaving the man on the ground. She was happy to see them again.
 
“What do you think you're doing Sayuri? You shouldn't be fighting people. What would your father say if we told him?” Ryui scolded.
 
“They insulted me as a woman and underestimated me so I taught him not to. I didn't hurt him.” She explained as she linked her arm through Ryui's and started to walk back to her house, Ryui'd taken the place of her mother over the years and she was the one she was most comfortable with telling anything.
 
“You still shouldn't do that Sayuri.”
 
“Oh well.” She relented and they all walked in silence for the rest of the way. If what the men had said was indeed true then even though her father had rejected her idea a solution had just been handed to her on an iron platter. The war would call her father off on another one of his missions and so she could slip out f the house with ease. Her father was a light sleeper but she used to go fishing in the very early morning because the family would never wake up. She'd never be able to pull this off if her father was home.
 
`Does this mean father is going on another trading mission?” she now asked innocently, having just walked up to her house and before she got her answer her father came out of the house. She sighed at his expression.
 
“Yes, I do have to go. I'll send a letter t you when I know when I'll be back.” He said sadly. Sayuri knew that this is what she needed but she felt the same loneliness she always did right before her beloved father left.
 
“Oh…” was all she could say and Kikkuri's family could only look on in sympathy. “Are you leaving right now?” she asked quietly so as they all had to lean in, in order to hear her.
 
“Yes, I was expecting this so I packed already.” He said. His face was solemn and it was clear that he didn't want to leave right after their fight. She was so touched to see him like that, that summoning up her pride she let her guard down and she rushed into his arms and hugged him tightly. She was still so short that the top of her head only reached his shoulders and she didn't see herself growing any taller. He slowly put his arms around her as well and lovingly held her. Though he knew was gone, holding his daughter reminded him of Yuri.
 
“I'll be back in a while. Until then, don't get into any trouble” he ordered sternly but then lightened up. Going behind the adobe house she went into the single stall and undid the tether on his horse and brought it around front to where everyone was gathered. While Kikkuri held his palomino he jumped on and accepted his bag from Ryui. Looking at his only daughter he tried to smile but only managed to grimace at her reassuringly. He loved her black hair and smooth skin that was so like her mothers. To protect and shield her from the terrors of the world was his life's goal but not at the moment. She would be safe here and he was inclined to lead the army. Each day would be a struggle not to jump on his horse and return to her and with each passing day he would get lonelier and lonelier till he was sick with loss and sadness. Yet he would go on until he defeated whatever evil threatened his country.
 
Looking over his shoulder he centered on his daughters face of which tears were streaming down. His own contorted in pain but he kept riding toward his merchant's battlefield.
 
Stop crying. This does you know no good. Stop crying. Sayuri kept telling herself as she watched him go. This wouldn't help her when she left and what was the point? He was leaving. Sighing she walked back to her room and laid down gracefully. She just wanted to forget that he'd ever left so she let her mind wander. How was she going to run away and somehow get to Hattusa? There were dangers everywhere that she would have to watch out for.
 
Hearing someone walk into her room she opened her eyes to see Tito. He had grown tall and buff in the years they'd been apart she noticed and it made her smirk a little knowing how she'd been his first kiss. She had been eight and he was nine and it was only because of a bet but it was still a kiss on the lips.
 
“You have an excellent poker but do you think you can fool me? I know that you're hiding something.” He said bluntly and leaned forward to where he was almost overhead. She blushed but tried to answer as calmly as she could.
 
“I'm not hiding anything! Anyway, have you ever been to Hattusa?” she spat out and did her best to change the topic. This caused the young man to start in surprise and then chuckle as if there was something that he knew that she was being ignorant of. There was of course.
 
“After all these years you sill don't remember that when we're not here baby sitting you we're in Hattusa at the palace.”
 
“What! You live in the palace? I would do anything just to see the walls that guard it. Where is Hattusa anyway?” she exclaimed, sitting up and gazing at him with ebony eyes that would make anyone's heart sprint.
 
“It's south of here about two days journey.” He informed her while smiling at her a little sadly. He knew that she wwas being kept in the dark and if he chose he could be the one with the key and could unlock her door. Gradually she was about to be pulled into the light and it was going to blind her.
 
“Oh, thank you, now my problems gone.” She said, relieved. Until then she hadn't even known where the capital was and now she wondered why it didn't occur to her to ask about his family. She guessed that she really just didn't care to know since the stories she was told always seemed like more of a fairytale than reality.
 
Tito had been watching her silently as she contemplated whatever it was that troubled her and though she didn't know it he had always looked at her with more than an idealistic gaze. He predicted that was why her father always gave him a disapproving look whenever he caught his eye. Last year they'd come for just a visit and after getting one such look had asked his father why he looked that way.
 
“Tito that girl is a very important person to him and I advise you not to get attached since she will never be yours.” He'd answered honestly.
 
“But why? She is only a year younger than I and you are good friends with her father!” he'd protested, getting annoyed at the constant refusal.
 
“In time you will know that her fate is not tied to ours or any of our family.”
 
He'd never understood that and he still didn't so he decided to watch her life play out, but that wasn't going to stop him from trying to intercede. The moment was a golden opportunity that any love struck fool, or and hormone rampant teenager, would take advantage of.
 
“Sayuri…” he said lovingly and swiftly he grabbed her wrists gently and held them together. Leaning down over her, since she was still lying on the bed, her kissed her sweetly, causing her to jolt from the unexpected action. She didn't have time to react, only enough to gasp in surprise. Quickly she pushed him away and yelped quietly.
 
“Why'd you do that?” she exclaimed and tried to look away as she sat up rigidly.
 
“Why does anyone do that? Sayuri, I think I'm in-“
 
“I can't do this right now! I have to leave!” she exclaimed suddenly and before he could protest she shot up and as fast as she could ran out the room.
 
Hehehe! I'm done woohoo! I hate long chapters but I most say I prefer them long so yes! Anyway see ya next chappie!