Resident Evil Series Fan Fiction ❯ The War for Raccoon City ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Resident Evil or any characters portrayed in this story with exception to those who's names aren't on the official list of Resident Evil characters XD
This story is inspired by the Resident Evil series, those around me who've been nagging for a story like this, and everyone else who gets the nerve to review.
I'd also like to note this is in fact a redone beta. I had about twice this many pages before scrapping the first story. So I hope you enjoy the effort I've put in.
The Raccoon City Incident
The Beginning
Raccoon Times, July 14th, 1998
Raccoon Police Department to Dispatch S.T.A.R.S. Into Current Investigation
The R.P.D. had no comment about the ongoing investigation toward the Arkley Mountain Murder Cases. Currently there've been reports of eight victims, and the Raccoon S.T.A.R.S. Team has been officially brought onto the investigation. Inquiries to the Raccoon Police Department have been made by private citizens as well members of the city counsel as to why it's taken this long for the Special Tactics And Rescue Service to become involved in the matter. The mayor had this to say. 'If there's anything shady happening with the higher-ups of the police department, the mayors office intends to deal with it quickly and firmly.'
Measures have been taken, placing certain restrictions on Police Chief Irons, who's voiced his objection to these allegations several times, most recently appealing to the public to vote against this matter. However, there are currently no plans to lift the restrictions placed upon the police chief, as well several other high-ranking officers of the R.P.D.
Raccoon Daily, July 30th, 1998
Victim #10 Found
The most recent victim to the Arkley Mountain Murder Cases has been found and is currently being rushed by the R.P.D. to be identified. S.T.A.R.S. Commanding Officer Albert Wesker simply said that 'These people who have died meaningless deaths shall be avenged, and my teams are working quickly to piece together the pieces of this puzzle.'
The victim was found in the Arkley Park's jogging trail, and the police have closed the park. A curfew is being taken into effect, and all persons (with exception to police for obvious reasons) are to be off the street by 9:00PM. Anyone who doesn't listen to these orders will receive a hefty fine and an overnight stay over at the police station.
Raccoon Times, August 6th, 1998
S.T.A.R.S. Team Missing
The Raccoon S.T.A.R.S. Alpha and Bravo teams were dispatched last night to investigate a group of missing hikers suspected to be the next victims of the Arkley Mountain Murder Case. Currently, reports state that gunfire has been coming from the long-forgotten section of forest once used by Umbrella Corporation for research and staff holidays, but currently nothing is confirmed. At this moment, Raccoon Police simply say that they've sent out search teams, and Umbrella is sending out it's own people to aid the search. Their PR rep said that, 'Umbrella intends to help the city in any way it can, and it seems that the main thing the city needs now is the trained group tasked with solving these murder cases.'
Police state that if the S.T.A.R.S. cannot be found, federal authorities will be introduced to this investigation and the Raccoon Police Department will return to patrol duty. The opinion of the public is that the police should have already contacted federal aid, but pushing by both the mayors office and Umbrella Corporation have stopped this, both parties claiming that 'It would be a bleak spot upon the city, and interrupt the daily lives of our citizens.'
Raccoon Channel 4 News, August 12th, 1998
We're just getting reports now that the Raccoon S.T.A.R.S. teams have been recovered. Bravo Team has suffered nearly 100% casualties, one officer remaining and currently unnamed. The S.T.A.R.S. Alpha is currently missing it's commanding officer and support officer, however the rest of the team is in suitable condition. It was six days ago that the team was confirmed to be missing from the city, and now we've seen our worst fears coming true. Members of the elite-most unit have come up brutally slain. The police cannot protect us from whatever it is out there. We here at Channel 4 are suggesting that those citizens whom are still interested in proceedings begin evacuation and observe from a safer, farther standpoint than Raccoon.”
Raccoon Sun, August 20th, 1998
S.T.A.R.S. Responsible?
New allegations are being brought up against the S.T.A.R.S. themselves, for disobeying orders and holding blaintent disregard for their subordinates. Nothing is factual, but the police department is coming up with a strong case against the team, who've been making outlandish claims of monsters and zombies in the wooded areas. Questions about the matter have also sprung out at Umbrella, the S.T.A.R.S. being found on their property moments before the building went up in flames, proving all evidence in either way has been lost. Federal officials have arrived in Raccoon to take charge of the investigation. The current surviving S.T.A.R.S. officers are on probation, and are not allowed to leave the city.
Raccoon Times, August 25th, 1998
Court Date Set
The Raccoon S.T.A.R.S. team will be going under trial over the course of the next five days and recovered evidence will be provided to the courts. The current matter has lead the public to believe that the Umbrella Corporation will also be appearing in court, though this is unconfirmed. However, what is known is that the R.P.D. will be making a press conference tomorrow about the matter. All citizens welcome to attend.
Raccoon Daily, August 31st, 1998
S.T.A.R.S. On Suspension
The court trial has been completed, and with the lack of evidence, the verdict was not guilty, however the remaining S.T.A.R.S. officers have been placed on indefinite suspension. The R.P.D. is now seeking persons in and around the city to come forward and sign up for the Special Police Force (S.P.F.), a unit Police Chief Irons is establishing to take the place of the S.T.A.R.S. and complete the current Arkley investigation. The police chief himself had no comment and his support staff were under orders not to release any more details than what we've spoken.
We've also noticed that a variety of protests to the verdict have come up, and S.T.A.R.S. advocates are publicly showing their distaste of everything that's happened.
Raccoon Channel 4 News, September 5th, 1998
The Raccoon Police Department has issued an order to citizens, prohibiting anyone to leave Raccoon City. This was followed the police cutting the phone lines, and this televised report now no longer gets reception outside the Raccoon City Limits. Raccoon S.W.A.T. Teams have been dispatched to every city exit, prohibiting anyone's exit. We'd like to reassure that these measures are being taken for the safety of the citizens, and will be lifted as soon as time permits. We'd like to ask that unless required, people remain in their homes. The curfew has been lowered to 5:00PM by authorities, and will remain in effect until precautions can be taken.
Currently, Raccoon Citizens are also suggested to barricade their doors and windows, and get a large supply of food and water. It is currently unknown why the Raccoon Police Department has issued this statement, but we suggest you follow their orders for your own well being. If they're taking steps to keep people in the city, you best be safe in the city. Thank you and good-night from Raccoon Channel 4.”
9:00PM September 10th, 1998
Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield stood side-by-side, walking up the steps of the Raccoon Police Department. Several officers and lit traffic cones stood outside, along with a large group of rioters being held back. The riots had gotten more and more powerful since the quarantine order five days ago. Jill looked over her shoulder at the massing crowd, then walked inside, now facing the police chief and a S.W.A.T. Team.
“Men, deal with it,” Brian Irons, Chief of Police, said, and the S.W.A.T. Team, armed with live ammunition, ran out the door. The man and the front desk secretary along with Jill and Chris were the only people left in the room.
“You two are the last chance,” the man said, sitting down behind the desk. “We need you two to aid the preliminary investigation. The subway system was officially closed about an hour ago, and we've lost contact with the officers who've been sent in. I've deliberated sending more officers, but I know it would be useless.”
Chris spoke up. “Why not close the gates and post officers at each exit? There's only eight stops. Two officers per stop works, doesn't it?”

Irons thought for a moment before giving a nod. “Yeah, I suppose I can spare a few officers for that duty. But keep on your toes. Duty assignments have been flying everywhere, everyone in the S.P.F. is out on calls, and most patrol officers are too. These riots aren't doing the city any good.”
Both of them nodded, Jill uttering a good-bye before they left the building.
2:00AM September 12th, 1998
Jill Valentine awoke to hearing a moaning in her kitchen. Slowly and quietly, she rose from her bed and pulled a 9mm Beretta Samurai's Edge from under her pillow. It had become standard practice to go to bed in a T-Shirt and shorts, just in case this sort of thing happened. Slowly, she moved toward her kitchen, Beretta tightly held in her hands as she moved. She reached the door into the kitchen, and stopping her breath for a second, she pushed the door open, bringing the gun up at the same moment.
Inside the kitchen stood a zombie, attempting to get her fridge open. The Beretta shouted loudly twice, two empty bullet cases falling to the kitchen floor, along with the living corpse that now had two bullets in it's brain. The woman stood there, still aiming forward, and ran over to the body, aiming her gun down at it. As she confirmed it dead, the woman ran for the phone.
A few moments later, two R.P.D. squad cars and an ambulance sat outside her house. The red and blue lights had awoken the neighbors as the men from the ambulance wheeled out the corpse on a gurney, wearing masks. Two police officers stood outside the door of the house, the other two inside talking to Jill in her living room.
“So ma'am, you say this gun is licensed?” asked one, taking notes.
“Yes, I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S.” she replied, “How many times do I have to say it?”
“Well that doesn't explain why we can't find the gun in the department's database.”
“The fact that the Raccoon S.T.A.R.S. were put on trial would.”
“Oh, you're one of them. So technically, that weapon isn't legal...”
“All available officers requested at the Arkley Hospital,” squawked the radio sitting over his shoulder.
“Lou,” the other officer came out, standing up.
“We'll be back, Mrs. Valentine,” said the one named Lou as they walked out, the officers outside already headed toward their car.

And at that, Jill returned to the bedroom to fall asleep.
10:00AM September 12th, 1998
Jill awoke with a start, being shaken. Looking up, she saw an R.P.D. officer, with another facing the door. “We need to hurry,” said the one by the door, and the other took ahold of her shoulders and picked her up out of the bed. “Let's go,” he said, pulling open her closet. “Get your S.T.A.R.S. uniform on and head out to the car. All units have been called to station.”
The woman nodded, deciding not to ask questions. As the men walked out and closed the door, she began to change, wondering why it was she couldn't even get a shower in. And as she dressed, Jill glanced out her window. Police cars sat with military vehicles outside each house. People were being taken from their homes, that much was obvious. But why?
The police car Jill sat in the rear of pulled up in front of the Raccoon Police Department, and soon she figured out that the quarantine of the city by police officials hadn't flown well with the state. The entire police building had military vehicles parked out front, as well men with assault rifles in combat uniforms guarding the entrance. With the aid of a police officer, Jill got out of the car.
The two cops who'd brought her there were flanking her as they walked up the steps of the police station. As Jill was walking into the lobby, though, she noticed that the location on the shoulder of the man on the right side of her path where the U.S. Marines or U.S. Army patch should be wasn't there. Instead, the Umbrella Corporation symbol was there, with the abbreviation “U.B.C.S.” there instead. Turning back to the path ahead, she continued.
The lobby to the police department was a buzz of activity. U.B.C.S. and Raccoon Police crews had set up command H.Q. The rest of the department was as busy as the lobby, police and Umbrella military-types moving and getting ready for the imminent horrors to come. The entire building had become a fortress.
“Officer Valentine,” a man said in the U.B.C.S. uniform, “Your here for a duty assignment. Other localized officers have been contacted as well. Considering your track record with the creatures that will no doubt be plaguing the town by midnight, and your work with the Special Tactics And Rescue Service, your going to be deployed with special operatives also experienced in combat with what we'll be fighting. Evacuations are going well, but we know that due to the underground facility, their forces have massed by now, and are simply trying to break the surface. Your first assignment is the subway. That's the most likely location for them to appear.”
“Excuse me, but who am I to take orders from someone at Umbrella? And what is this U.C.B.S. anyway?”
“You're a person who knows what they're doing, and their place. And the U.C.B.S. is the Umbrella Biohazard Counter-Measure Service. We're here to insure that we don't lose this whole city. From now, I'm in charge. You know your place, Valentine. And I know you want to save this place as much as I do.”