Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ The Blood That Ties ❯ Fight Night ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: Hewo all my eager readers out there! *Crickets chirp* Okay...So the 3 of you who have stumbled onto this story by accident and decided to stick around with it for the ride. You could at least Review. Humph...I'm joking. I know you cannot put your love for this story into words that do it justice. I understand... And now, ON WITH THE PLOT!
The Blood That Ties
“N-No! Stay away from them...” A dosing voice whispered into the darkness of her room. Twisted within the satin sheets, Gabrielle seemed to stiffen in her sleep. “Please...Don't hurt them...” A broken voice, so soft and gentle, almost as if the words were being spoken by a small child, a whimper accompanying the pained words. “Mom...Dad...Sisters...” Gabrielle was not in the land of the conscious yet, though with her twisted body hidden underneath the sheets, no one would be able to come to such the conclusion that the girl was simply having a nightmare.
Though she was seemingly trapped in a world of horror, it was surprising to know a simple knock on her door would send the girl bolting from her bed...Only to end up in a gasping heap on the floor.
“What?!” Gabrielle cried out, mostly in shock. Her body was heaving with breath, the sheets plastered to her clammy skin. However, even in her shocked condition of having just been ripped out of the unconscious world, Gabrielle remained on the floor. The girl was too dreary and disoriented to find the energy to pull herself to her feet. She was more relieved about the fact she was dreaming than the fact that she should get up and actually open the door.
But, as if to remind her of the next chore in mind, the knocking started up once again, this time more demanding. Who needed her this badly at...Whatever time it was?
Gabrielle had long since lost any sense of timing, for the past weeks she had been simply working around whether or not it was night or day...Though in the dense forest in such humid climate, the sky was only two shades. Grey In the daytime, darker grey in the nighttimes, just how long had it been since she had seen the sun last?
It didn't matter; she had not gotten a proper night's sleep yet. Nightmares did not count. Nightmares toyed with your emotions, play with your mind and imagination. That was nothing that sleep was supposed to be.
Yet another knock. Whoever was at her door sure as hell wasn't patient enough to deal with her twisted sense of logic.
Gabrielle tried to force herself into a seated position, but in her uncomfortable, twisted position on the floor she could hardly tell which direction was up or down. This, along with the dreariness, was why she simply ran her head into the wooden post along her bed.
"Ouch...Bloody Hell..." She grumbled into the wood, pulling away from the bed as she blew a few strands of crimson hair out of her face, her hand gripping the bridge of her nose. First things first; remove the sheet from her head, then try to move again. "I'm coming!" She called through the crimson sheet as she struggled to pull the twisted fabric away from her body.
 
Her hair was still a mess, her burgundy skirt dishevelled, even her red vest hanging off one arm, exposing the white camisole underneath. Hardly appropriate attire for an aristocrat's daughter to be running around in, but the fiend had not allowed Gabrielle to change her clothing when he decided to change her life for the worse.
 
Forcing her uncoordinated body to its feet, she stumbled ungracefully over to the door, surprised at the accuracy of her footing. With the momentum of her body, Gabrielle allowed her foot to connect with the door, causing it to swing open and crash into the wall parallel to it. The crimson haired girl had to lean against the doorframe of the oak door before she could even attempt to adjust her eyes to the brightly lit hallway, and the presence on the other side of the door.
 
A familiar brunette stood in the middle of the hallway, clad in more casual black slacks and a black fitted t-shirt, scowl present once again on his features. Oh joy, Emeris, exactly what had she done to provoke a visit from him? Gabrielle rubbed her eyes vigorously. Maybe she was still having that nightmare, either that or she was simply hallucinating that the hateful boy was outside of her room. However, As Gabrielle gazed at the scowling boy again, arms crossed in a stereotypical pissed off gesture, and Gabrielle knew this part of the nightmare was unfortunately real.
 
“Do try to avoid knocking me out if you want to get anything done today.” Condescending and cold at the same, the boy sure had a talent for making her feel unwanted. Emeris glanced, no glared, at the door that was firmly flung against the concrete wall, before taking a single step closer. “Apparently the powers that be, hate one or both of us... Because I'm the only one who's been assigned to assist you."
 
Gabrielle could have shit a brick at that moment, and it was evident on her face. Drowsiness suddenly turned to alertness, and her jaw must have hit the floor before Gabrielle's temper and overwhelming desire for proper sleep took over.
 
“Really? I'm overjoyed. Goodnight Emeris.”
 
Slam.
 
That'll show him for snapping at her.
 
Gabrielle didn't see any point in hiding the smug smirk on her face, Emeris was on the opposite side of a locked door now. She had given him enough reason to blow a gasket, hell, last day he snapped at her just for asking. Maybe this was some sort of sign from her parents, a form of guidance about whether or not she should accept the offer of residency within The Order. If she was going to be force to learn from people like Emeris, maybe this place really was not for her.
 
"If you don't open back up I'll have to come in there to get you!" He spoke loudly enough to be heard through the door, which Gabrielle immediately glared at, and after a moment's hesitation he decided to add, "And trust me, if I could foist this off on anyone else I would! I don't want to deal with this shit anymore than you do, but I was given this task directly by the Abbot and... I value my place here too much for something like this to get me kicked out."
 
Ah. So that's why she was graced with his presence again.
 
"Alright, Alright! I'll come out if that means you will quit speaking!" Gabrielle called out to him through the door, tossing the pillow onto the floor, next to the sheet that had fallen with her earlier.
 
Of course she had no intention of leaving her room, at least not when her body craved more sleep. But Emeris didn't know that, and this would surely buy her at least a few moments of silence.

Stretching slightly, Gabrielle found herself yawning obnoxiously, before she crumbled down onto the sheet and pillow placed down on the floor for her. It may have been just how tired she was at that current moment, but the floor was more comforting than the bed... Either that or Gabrielle had become accustomed to sleeping on hard surfaces. And within record time, Gabrielle was back in her earlier position, drifting off to sleep once again.
 
She had only estimated a few moments of rest. A similar effect to smacking the snooze button on one's alarm clock. One will only receive a minute or two of extra sleep time, but for some otherworldly reason, it is the best minute of sleep one could ever receive. But, after several moments of blissful snoozing, Gabrielle came to the realization that in some small fit of madness...The boy actually believed in what she said.
 
It was laugh worthy, and Gabrielle found herself giggling slightly as she mused over the thought of Emeris waiting patiently outside, thinking that she was hustling to get ready for him. Was it natural for assholes to be so gullible? It made her wonder just how long Emeris was willing to wait outside until he—
 
Crash!
 
“Wakey Wakey! Eggs and Bakey!” Gabrielle ducked her head under the covers as the door slammed open to her room. There was no doubt that she was going to be dealing with a very pissed Emeris, the malice and annoyance dripped within every word he spoke. But...He was gullible enough to stand outside her room while she slept...Maybe the old possum act would work on him as well.
 
However, once a foot swiftly connected with her hip, Gabrielle was forced out of the sheet and back into the cold air of the building she was trapped within.
 
“Enough playtime. Get up.” He barked down at a bewildered Gabrielle. You couldn't very well blame her for being surprised, this wasn't a gentle tap, he kicked her...Hard. It wasn't something Gabrielle could just brush off; she didn't take kindly to any form of violence against her. She was ready to take anyone's crap, not so soon after the incident. So it was no surprised that Gabrielle launched herself to her feet, a nearly inhuman hiss emitting from her lips.
 
“What the fuck. Who the hell do you think you are?” Gabrielle's voice was venom, her eyes like daggers as she purposefully leapt within Emeris's personal space. If there was any justice in the world, she would of allowed herself to strike the boy down right then and there, to unleash all the rage she had been repressing onto this one asshole. But no, she couldn't, she had too much conditioning and discipline from her late parents to stoop so low just to do harm onto one person...Especially when that person was not the fiend who put her in the situation in the first place.
 
“To my dismay, I'm your teacher for now. Now come Princess, I haven't got all night.” His voice was cold, Gabrielle didn't expect anything different. However, this time his steely eyes flickered with a hint of emotion, a hint of anger. That was good enough for her.
 
“I'm not your fucking lapdog.” Gabrielle had tried to reply to his attempt of shrugging off the issue, though to her dismay she practically growled it out. This was not a time to allow the bastard to prove a point, so Gabrielle inhaled slowly and spoke once again, this time imitating Emeris's cool tone.
 
“I really don't appreciate some man I don't even know barging into my room! Most of all, I don't appreciate them kicking me. So if it as all possible, for future reference, if the door is shut...Stay the fuck out.” Venomous and calm, Gabrielle thought she didn't have it in her.
 
The room was silent, Gabrielle's coarse words still hanging in the air as the two stood, nearly nose to nose. It was a typical stand-off now, the gauntlet was thrown. Who ever looked away, whoever changed the topic, whoever backed down would be the loser; and the victor would receive the pride on the table.
 
“Do you kiss your parents with that mouth? They must be so proud.”
 
And just like that the bastard had won.
 
He didn't even know.
 
Gabrielle immediately backed down, suddenly, her pride did not seem that important at the moment. The wall that had shot up ever since the brunette annoyed her had abruptly fallen. No, not just fallen...But shattered as well. It was to be expected, as it was obviously a touchy subject for the young fledgling...But how was he suppose to know? Gabrielle sure as hell was not going to bring it up, the last thing she wanted was sympathy.
 
Her head shot downcast, but only for a moment, long enough for her to pull together. To force back the tears in her eyes, and to keep a sob locked up in her chest. There would be time for misery later, for now; she had a lesson to attend.
 
“Where to, Teacher?” If Gabrielle was not dealing with repressed the hollow feeling in her chest, she would of felt the sting of having her pride stepped on. She even saw pass Emeris's victorious smirk and scoff, but if she found out later that he knew of her deceased family...She would kill him on the spot.
 
With just a gesture of his head, and a `come' gesture usually only reserved for dogs, Emeris silently left Gabrielle's room and strolled out into the hallway. He expected her to follow suit, and despite the overwhelming urge to simply slam the door back in his face again, Gabrielle did as she was told, and followed the boy out into the dimly lit hallway.
 
Emeris was not kidding when he said that he did not have all night to deal with her anger. Gabrielle glanced out of few gothic styled windows as they made their way to... Well, Gabrielle was a little fuzzy on the details, not really listening to the few cold words Emeris would mutter to her. The world outside of the Order was dark and cold. It had to be midnight at least...Maybe even one o'clock...And yet Gabrielle felt as though she had just awoken bright and early, refreshed as could be...Save for the shakiness over the nightmare.
 
Then again, folklore told of Vampires choosing to be nocturnal over day walkers, didn't it? But, was that just a myth...Or reality? She had been raised to believe that Vampires were just make believe...Another form of the bogey man...Another monster under the bed...Another source of the bumps in the night. Gabrielle would of never guessed in all her years that she would discover how true the stories were, but only because she had become one herself.
 
“Oomph!” Gabrielle quickly recovered from having walked straight into Emeris's back. Served her right for zoning out into the depths of her mind. God knows that it wasn't good for her, not with all the feelings she was repressing.
 
Emeris turned his head sharply to glare at the girl, and was met with her rolling her eyes. Gabrielle didn't care why should she? It was his fault she was here anyway. But with further investigation, Gabrielle found that she was not the only one Emeris seemed to be upset with.
 
They stood outside of another one of the many rooms of the Order, Gabrielle found it pointless to try and differentiate them all. Though with this particular room the doorway did seem to be a little more elaborate than the others, it could easily be her imagination however. The heavy wood door was left ajar, about enough width for an average size being to slip through...And being nosey as Gabrielle was, she peered into the room, and caught glimpse of the dirty blonde seated within the room.
 
And what a strange room at that. It looked like some sort of lounge, with all the couches and bookshelves...Even the fireplace looked inviting. But at the same time, the room held a mystical hue to it, tables with odd jars adorning it, and three elaborate basins on pedestals were showcased in the center of the room.
 
“Jean, what the hell are you doing in my room?” Emeris snapped as she pushed by Gabrielle to enter the room, his voice dripping with a malice that made his tone with Gabrielle seem friendly and warm. It caused a shudder to ripple in her, yet it didn't deter her from following him into the room...If for no other reason than curiosity.
 
“My...Scrying bowls are out of order?” The blonde, apparently named Jean, with the soft blue eyes and gentle English accent retorted playfully, a dazzling smile on his features. The boy was either brave to smile so carelessly in the presence of a fuming individual...Or the boy simply had a death wish.
 
Hold on...Scrying bowls?
 
Gabrielle blocked out the banter and insults now flying between the two boys to ponder on the words for a moment longer. Scrying was the art of foretelling the future by looking into an object. She had read about it in a book once or twice. The ancient Greeks and Nostradamus used scrying bowls filled with water in which to gaze and obtain their prophecies... Why would they be in a place like the Order?
 
"It's a fucking military camp. We train to find and normally kill supernatural renegade beings of all kinds. Even diviners like myself have combat training."
 
Oh yes, Emeris had mentioned that yesterday now hadn't he? So that would mean that he and Jean were...
 
“Diviners! You guys tell the future!” Gabrielle's overly random outburst successfully caused the fight between the two boys to stop abruptly, their attention now turned on the oblivious female.
 
Gabrielle raised an eyebrow at the two boys. Not really understanding why the room was so silent now, nor why they were both looking at her with an equally confused expression. There was a cloud of awkwardness floating over the room at the moment, and for once, Gabrielle found herself with more attention than she cared for.
 
So she did what her sisters had taught her to do when she trapped in a situation in which she was confused beyond belief; just smile cutely until it goes away.
 
And for a moment, the boy's seemed to look at each other with a twisted understanding, despite their quite obvious dislike for each other, that the girl had a lot to learn. However, it was Jean who pulled away from the fight with Emeris to talk to the oblivious girl.
 
“I'm sorry, we have not formally met, thought I have already heard of you Miss Gabrielle...My name is Jean, and I express my deepest condolences. No woman should have to witness such an ugly sight...” Jean shot Emeris a wicked smile, devilish to say the least, before finishing. “Also, you shouldn't have to witness a fight between us as well.”
 
Emeris fumed in the background, and Gabrielle found herself giggling slightly, before the blonde took hold of her hand and kissed it gently, his royal blue orbs gazing into hers. Jean sure had a princely way about himself.
 
“You're the first fledgling we have permitted potential residency to in a few years. And I hope you will take the wonderful opportunity...Then I might having the pleasure of seeing your beautiful face once more.” Ah, soft, sweet words, adoring smile, and devilishly handsome. Gabrielle had met this type of man before. They were abundant in the world of the rich and sophisticated...And much appreciated, no matter how fake they were.
 
“That's flattering of you.” Gabrielle smiled, playing along with the facade of the blonde before his, while glimpsing at the fuming Emeris in the background, muttering incoherently under his breath before rushing to Gabrielle's side.
 
“Jean, you and I both know you're not here to socialize, not get the fuck out of my room. I have a lesson to teach.” Emeris snapped...Did the boy ever do anything else?
 
Or yes, he scowled, which he was doing a lot of right then. Gabrielle had to move her gaze to the interior decorating of the room to prevent herself from laughing. So this was Emeris's room? The two doors in the back suggested that a bed and bathroom actually may be available in the spacious quarters. And Gabrielle's room was a simple eight by eight room? It hardly seemed fair.
 
Turning her attention back to the boys, who were once again bickering, Gabrielle offered the blonde an adoring smile before taking her turn to interrupt again.
 
“If you don't mind Jean, I would like to get my lessons over with as soon as possible...I'm sure you can sympathize.” Short and sweet, and don't forget to simple. You'll get whatever you want then. Her sisters had taught her very well in the short time they were alive.
 
At her request, jean quickly turned his gaze back to her, flashing a dazzling smile before bowing slightly and taking his leave.
 
So, the people here weren't all like Emeris. It was a comforting notion. Though a growl brought Gabrielle back to reality. She was with Emeris, not with anyone else that would spare her flowery words and smiles. It was going to be a long night of dealing with Emeris's cold stares and words, and who knew how long Gabrielle could stand it. But she had no choice now; she was there, might as well get it over with.
 
“So Teach, what's my first lesson?” It was going to be a very long night indeed.