Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ The Blood That Ties ❯ A Night To Remember ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: So! I figured I'd be a sweetie and update before I leave for my one week trip in California! YAY FOR DISNEYLAND. Hopefully when I come back, plot bunnies will no longer be a problem.
 
The Blood That Ties
 
It seemed that the entire world around Gabrielle had simply faded into darkness. As if her inner thoughts of wanting to disappear, to make this whole situation disappear, had become a reality. With the extent of her powers still a mystery to her, she didn't put it past herself to of caused this.
 
But, there was something familiar swirling in the cloak of darkness that surrounded her, something almost...Comforting. Against her better judgement, Gabrielle extended a hand into the darkness. The darkness wasn't simply a state of the hallway she was in, it was a cloud that swirled and crept around her hand. The cloud continued to engulf her hand, slithering in-between her fingers, gripping her before materializing into a hand.
 
“Let's get you out of here.”
 
Gabrielle didn't even lift her eyes up to the speaker, simply nodding numbly. She was in a dark place, with someone who offered to take her away from everything; she didn't care whether it was death or worse. She just wanted out. Her body turned slack under the speaker's touch, even going as far as to allow a force behind her to move her from her spot.
 
It wasn't until the figures stopped moving, when the cloud of darkness started to dissipate, that Gabrielle started to awaken. She had only noticed the comforting chill the darkness had brought over her when it began to disappear, a rush of warmth replacing it. She no longer was in the hallway, in a heated fight with Emeris; she was back in the armory...With completely different company.
 
“Darien! Damon! When the hell...How the...” Gabrielle exhaled heavily, unaware that she was holding her breath to begin with. The mischievous twins stood before her, a mix of amusement and concern in their twin brown eyes.
 
“You haven't caught on yet...” Darien smiled.
 
“...To what we are?” Damon smirked.
 
“Frankly, I've just been confused about everything in general. Including how the hell you got me here.” She had only been aware of taking a few steps, but the armory was in the farthest corner of The Order, more than a `few steps' away from Emeris's quarters.
 
“I suppose in time you'll learn what powers an Imp has.” The twins chimed in unison, both shrugging and approaching her once again, both taking a hold of her hands. Gabrielle could feel herself blush darkly; it was odd to have such intense attention on her, as if they were waiting for her to break down. Well, if they were, they were close to getting what they wanted; all the stress had left Gabrielle with a general feeling of uneasiness. If the twins weren't holding her hands, she would probably crumple under their gazes.
 
“What happened there Gab?” Darien's voice was soft and gentle, brushing a stray lock of crimson hair out of her eyes.
 
“Want us to go rough him up?” Damon, always the cocky, darker one, smirked and tugged on her hand, guiding her over to the couch. Gabrielle seemed to collapse upon the couch, pulling her hands away from the boys to cradle her head in her lap.
 
“No...We were just bickering...Nothing new...” Smelling his blood again. That was new. She had only fed from him once; she had hoped it would be enough to satisfy her cravings. But she was foolish to think a onetime feed would permanently solve the problem.
 
“I...It's just been too much...” A strangled sob escaped her, much to her dismay. She had been trying to keep that back, she was not one for crying in front of people. Especially when she was crying over things she brought up herself.
 
She had expected them to probe her with questions, ignorant of her discomfort, as they did with Jean and Andrea. But surprisingly, they remained silent, only placing their hands on her shoulders for comfort. Gabrielle was unsure how she had earned it, but the twins had taken a liking to her, often paying more attention to her than the others. But maybe that was just a side effect of being the newbie.
 
At least their blood wasn't bothering her.
 
“Oh, I didn't realize the bloodsucker was going to be with us today.”
 
Gabrielle's head shot up at the new sound, her hands flying to the corners of her eyes. Andrea's presence made her uneasy in more ways than one, but it was mostly the new nickname the raven haired woman had found for her than unnerved the most.
 
“Hello Andrea.” Gabrielle jumped and smiled softly, for once speaking in unison with the twins. The twins gazed at her with amusement, whether it was over their unison or her reaction. Andrea simply rolled her eyes, turning her back to the trio to mutter something to someone outside.
 
“Oh! So she is here! Hello my dear Gabrielle!” Loud, dramatic, full of pride, Jean had to be the only person in the Order who could be mistaken for a prince, what with his regal aura that seemed to flood whatever room he entered.
 
“Hello, Prince.” The twins called out, almost in monotone. They too, shared the idea Gabrielle had of Jean being very prince-like. They also knew of the annoying nickname Emeris had made for herself, and played off of that as well. If they hadn't been so obviously concerned over Gabrielle's state, they would have been smirking at her.
 
“It's not like he's very secretive about his fondness of you...”
 
Gabrielle had remembered them muttering something to that affect to her at one point. With her state of mind, it was difficult to differentiate one night from the next. But she remember them whispering it to her as they casually past by one another in the hallway. A way they had most of their conversations, a few whispered sentences in the halls, maybe a reply as they escorted her back to her room, always away from Emeris's watchful eye.
 
Why the bastard was so concerned with her own affairs within the Order was beyond her. As if he needed more reasons to dislike her.
 
“Why have you two brought her here? Doesn't she have lessons with Freakazoid?” Hissed Andrea, choosing to be more open about her hatred of Emeris, not that Gabrielle could blame her. Andrea had slipped out one night to get more rations for the boys, and had only been caught because of Emeris. It was months before the high security that surrounded her had halted, and longer still that she was forbidden against field tasks.
 
“Yeah well, we didn't like how he was treating her...” Darien smirked, wrapping an arm around Gabrielle's neck, leaning into her.
 
“...So we snuck her away, to spare her sanity.” Damon copied his brother's actions, always being the mirror image. Of course, Gabrielle was always the unfortunate one in the middle, ever since the beginning.
 
“Good boys! What a noble thing to do when a dear friend is in the clutches of danger.” Jean smiled brilliant at the blushing redhead, who was more concerned with the twins invading her personal space than his subtle advances. The twins only granted the `Prince' a sideways glance, shrugging at their actions.
 
“He wasn't hurting me...I...I just could...” Gabrielle stuttered and paused, could she tell them? What would they think of her? Probably nothing, it wasn't like she had been the first vampire within the Order. Not to mention with Jean and Andrea approaching, Gabrielle quickly found herself salivating at the scent of their blood.
 
She could just barely deal with Emeris, and he had only been one. But with two humans before her...The scent was irresistible. Gabrielle had to force herself away from the twins, covering her mouth as she moved to the far side of the room, until the pain in her throat was just a dull burning.
 
“What's wrong Gabi?!” Now it was Jean's turn to speak in unison with the twins. Gabrielle waved hysterically at them as they moved to stand up, and probably approach her. The action only seemed to confuse them further, therefore causing the complete opposite to happen that Gabrielle was trying to convey. Well, until Andrea raised her hand, clearing her throat.
 
“Bloodsucker is hungry. When was the last time you fed?” Her low tone caused Jean recoil, his hand instinctively covering his neck. The twins seemed to eye each other with sudden realization, and quickly approached the starving fledgling.
 
“Well not that it affects us. Vampires aren't attracted to Imp blood.” Darien smiled at Gabrielle, gently taking her hands away from her mouth and nose.
 
“No red blood cells no foul.” As if to demonstrate, he waved his wrist under Gabrielle's nose a few times. He smirked as she squirmed away from the appendage, only to glare at him and move back to her original position. Alright, apparently it wasn't just luck that she hadn't been drawn to their blood.
 
“Well, what are we going to do?! How come the Abbot isn't bringing in supplies for her?” Jean shrieked with surprise, hand still firmly over his neck. Gabrielle could only roll her eyes, some prince.
 
“Her mentor is supposed to make sure things like that are ordered and done. Looks like Emeris is setting up another one for failure.” Andrea informed dismissively, pulling a map out of her satchel. She hardly spared Gabrielle a worried glance, like this was to be expected. Then again, this was Emeris they were talking about, why would anyone be surprised?
 
I'd sabotage you; make you think the sun was your best friend?”
 
Well he hadn't done that...But apparently making sure she had blood handy was too much to ask of him. Maybe she was right with believing he hated her, he just didn't want another fledgling running around proving everyone right. It would have explained the concern in his usually dark, angry green eyes.
 
“The stupid commoner....” Jean hissed, hesitantly removing his hands from his neck, though he made sure to stay on the farthest side of the room from Gabrielle. It stung Gabrielle for people to finally treat her as the monster she was, but it was to be expected right? Even if she was in a place surrounded by those of different species; Imps, Diviners and the like, she was still an oddity...Otherwise why would she be only the second vampire to grace their halls?
 
“Well, that settles it then! We'll take Lady Gabrielle with us! Surely this `field trip' can be beneficial to her as well!”
 
At this, the young fledgling's head shot up. Jean's fearful attitude sudden turned proud and determined. And judging by his words, he had already signed Gabrielle's name to whatever plan he had concocted in his head. But a field trip? To where?
 
“How many places in the order have I not been to?” Gabrielle questioned, her first time she had dared to speak since the scent of Jean and Andrea's blood took over her senses.
 
She had expected an answer, but the four seemed to only gaze at her with amusement, the twins laughing as they hoisted Gabrielle to her feet.
 
“Silly Gabi...” Darien smiled, nudging her shoulder gently.
 
“...We don't mean inside.” Damon smirked; nudging her other should with a bit more force than Darien.
 
“You mean...?” Gabrielle found herself trailing in her speech as well, as if the Twins were already rubbing off on her.
 
“Yup, we're busting out!”
 
~*~
 
“What are the consequences if we get caught?”
 
“Solitary confinement is a possible option. Banishment is also another option.”
 
“...Redundant, but plausible.”
 
Joy.
 
Gabrielle already regretted asking before the word even left her mouth. Andrea and Jean's answers did not ease her fears, nor did the twin's nonchalant approach to breaking one of the Order's only rules. It was one thing for her to defy her parent's wishes, sneaking off into the forest instead of doing her studies.
 
But that had worked out nicely hadn't it?
 
“Chill Gabi, we've done this before...”
 
“...Our plan is fool-proof.” Damon concluded his brother's sentence as the five moved quietly through the corridors of the Order. Along with the normal corridors and entryways Gabrielle had wandered through during her fruitless treks, there was yet another labyrinth of hidden corridors. Usually to be used during attacks and war, but it seemed that the four had made themselves an exception, taking Gabrielle along for the ride.
 
“Won't there be a guard somewhere?” Another question whispered into the dim light of the corridor, earning a scoff from Andrea, who led them.
 
“Yes actually, there's two up ahead, I'll handle them...” Her cool voice cut through Gabrielle's tension. Andrea seemed so sure of herself, and it was no secret that she often left the Order, whether it was with the Abbot's permission or not. Besides, the whole adventure gave Gabrielle something bigger to worry about than the past events that seemed to plague her mind.
 
Making a turn in the corridor, Gabrielle soon found herself being pushed into an alcove of the hallway along with the twins and Jean. This left Andrea exposed to the two armed guards positioned at the end of the hall, guarding a heavily locked gate.
 
“Won't they question her?” Another question sprang forth on her lips, daring to lean just barely out of the alcove to watch the raven haired beauty.
 
“You'll see, Gabrielle...” Jean whispered softly to her, keeping a hand rested on her waist. Gabrielle had tried to ignore the contact, brushing it off as a way to pull her back into hiding in case the guards saw.
 
“Halt! Andrea, what are you doing down here at this hour? The Abbot has not instructed us that you are involved in a field case as of yet.” Demanded one of the guards, their hands dropping away from their swords at their waists. Honestly? Who used swords anymore?
 
“This place is like circa 1800...” Gabrielle mused, shaking her head as she watched Andrea approach the two guards, a sinful smile on her lips.
 
“Is it so wrong that I wanted to visit my two favourite guards?” Andrea's voice was sickly sweet, turning her back to them for a moment. With a flicker, her dark eyes turned black, glowing with a faint purple light. Gabrielle felt Jean tug her back into the alcove, concealing her eyes from the rest of the sight.
 
“My apologies, Gabrielle. We can't have you falling under Andrea's charm now can we?” Jean's voice was soft, almost amused. Gabrielle strained to hear the sweet words Andrea muttered to the guards, their responses almost caveman-like. Only words like `uh-huh' and `err...' seemed to escape them, and the twins were barely containing their laughter.
 
“We better get moving now, they don't get any dumber.” The twins gazed at each other as Jean spoke, a wickedly devilish smile on their lips. With a nod, Damon closed his eyes bracing his hand against the darker part of the alcove, resting in the shadow. Pulling his hand back out, the shadow seemed to follow, as if Damon had brought animation to the still shadow.
 
The cloud that seemed to creep out of the shadows, following Damon's hand, was all too familiar to Gabrielle. It had been the same cloud to envelope the window in the armory; it had been the same cloud to whisk her away from Emeris. Now Gabrielle understood, it was all Damon's doing.
 
“Damon's a shadow Imp. With a little focus, he can control shadows to bend to his will. You've already experienced how this is beneficial...” Jean whispered in her ear. Gabrielle hadn't even noticed how far she had moved into him, her being focused on the dark cloud Damon was beaconing from the depths of the alcove. Now she understood why her mouth was watering again.
 
Damon's eyes were barely open, gripping the edge of the cloud like a blanket, and with one fluid motion he tossed it into the hallway.
 
“And we're off!” The quartet rushing into the hallway, hidden by the cloud of darkness that now consumed the one dimly lit hall. The guards should have noticed such paranormal activity, but frankly with their intent gaze on Andrea, they could of rode elephants by them and they would not have noticed.
 
The cloud stayed around them even when Andrea rejoined their group, rushing to the head of the group, pushing between Jean and Gabrielle. She could only assume the darkness stayed billowing around them so that some other, untold, form of surveillance could not catch them. Who knew what the Abbot had set up to make sure his few rules were being respected.
 
“And, Viola!” Darien smirked at Gabrielle as he touched the edges of the cloud, sparks flying from his fingertips, burning away the cloud like it was made of fine tissue.
 
How they had gotten so far away from the Order, Gabrielle could never fathom. She swore she had counted twenty steps since they had entered the cloud. But, gazing behind her, the tall gates of the order weren't even in sight. Hell...The forest wasn't even in sight.
 
They were in town...A foreign one at that.
 
The group of five stood awkwardly in the middle of a small paved street, it what seemed like to be a night market. Neon lights, colourful oriental lanterns all adorned the lamp posts, the awnings and the front windows of the markets that lined the streets.
 
“Welcome to the Night World, Gabi!” Chimed the twins, shuddering slightly as they folded their wings back, which brought the attention of no one. Gabrielle would have freaked out if she had seen a group of people appear suddenly in the middle of the street, two of thing having wings! Yet here, no one batted an eyelash, in fact, so one seemed to even notice their presence.
 
“Night World?”
 
“It's a mix of cultures...Unbeknownst to the humans. They think we're cosplayers, weirdoes, goth-loli enthusiasts...They never even entertain the thought of us being of another species.” Jean mused as they moved off the abandoned street, ducking into the group of people.
 
Gabrielle's hands flew to her mouth. What were they thinking? Bringing her out here with all of these humans? The stench of their blood was overpowering, as if she were a dying man in the desert suddenly plunged into a lake. Did they want her to lunge at someone? To kill them? Was this some sort of set up?! Gabrielle couldn't wrap her head around their logic, so she pulled away from the group, only to crash into the twins.
 
“Be strong for a moment Gabi...” Darien whispered softly, taking a gentle grip of Gabrielle's forearm.
 
“We have a place for you...” Damon smirked, grabbing her hand and pulling her deeper into the crowd of people. Gabrielle swore she could have killed them all. They were putting her life and some poor human's on the line, for what? So they could drag her out shopping with them?
 
Passing by the multitude of stalls and shops, Gabrielle noticed that at some point they had lost Jean and Andrea. At least it was two less human's that she could harm if the twin's grip loosened on her.
 
The twins spared Gabrielle no extra words, both more focused on keeping their grip tight, and shifting through the path of fewer humans. They moved past a Laundromat, ducking down the staircase just beyond it. Gabrielle was still clueless beyond reason, had she been foolish in trusting these people? Were they about to lead her to her doom, or, more appropriately, someone else's? Gabrielle was so focused on the horrific possible outcomes on the situation; she barely noticed being ushered through a door at the bottom of the staircase.
 
It wasn't too long after they entered the room that Gabrielle was bombarded with the strong scent of blood. It was stronger than she had ever experienced it, as if the entire room was filled with the coppery liquid. Gabrielle struggled to stay within the twin's grasp, her carnal instincts telling her to lunge at the patrons of the dark bar she found herself in.
 
Wait a minute...Bar?
 
“What is this place?!” Gabrielle hissed to the twins. Damon only smirked as he let go of her hand, sauntering up to the bar to chat with the bartender.
 
“It's a blood bar, Gabi. Surprise!” Darien smiled brightly, putting his hand on the small of her back, leading her to a cushy booth in the corner of the room.
 
“Blood bar?” Gabrielle glanced around the darkened room, her gaze sifting through the other black booths, the dark wood tables, and all the patrons that sat there. They all looked like normal humans, no wings, no funny eyes, but they all seemed to be indulging in the same red drinks.
 
Blood.
 
That's why it was so strong...
 
Hesitantly, Gabrielle sat on the soft leather seat of the booth, her surprised, fragmented question still hanging in the air, drifting with the Goth rock pumping through the speakers.
 
“They're all...Vampires?”
 
“Not really, some, but not all. It seems Vampirism is quite popular with the Normies as well. Turns out that some Normies find drinking blood to be...Exotic...” Damon explained, approaching the table with a tall glass in hand. The next few moments were a little blurry to Gabrielle, as they happened so fast, but by the end of it the tall glass was empty before her, and the burning in her throat had died down considerably.
 
“More?” Gabrielle asked bashfully, licking the remainder of the crimson liquid off her lips. The twins simply laughed, and Damon pulled himself away from the booth to refill her glass.
 
“You'll have to keep it slow, the bartender dilutes the blood with vodka. It tricks the body into thinking it's consuming more blood than it really is. Last thing we need is a drunk vampire to deal with.” Darien warned, though the gentle smile never left his lips. Another glass was placed before Gabrielle, and this time she forced herself to only sip from it.
 
“So...Some humans just...Drink blood?” Gabrielle asked the twins, gazing around the bar once more. It was impossible to tell who was genuinely a vampire, they were all pale, all in the same style of clothing. At least Gabrielle wouldn't have to worry about people thinking she was a freak...Not if humans like this existed.
 
“They're mostly self-diluted. So romanced by the idea that they trick themselves into believing they themselves are vampires.” Damon explained, following Gabrielle's gaze around the room.
 
“...Vampires seem to be the only species that are openly accepted...At least in the Night World...But that's only because of their seductive, outgoing nature.” Darien continued the explanation, nudging his brother. Damon shot his twin a playful smirk, huffing slightly before leaving the booth once again.
 
“Seductive...Outgoing?”
 
“Well, natural born vampires...Once they hit the hundred year mark they begin to act the same. The turned ones usually die in the first year...” Darien's eyes suddenly met hers, dark brown eyes filled with concern. “Their masters grow tired of them...They wander out in the sun...No one tells them of the rules of their existence and they attack someone in public...Either way...Most unnatural fledglings are doomed.”
 
It was a lot to take in. Gabrielle could not have been a rarity in the world of vampires, not if such information was so generally known. Emeris had warned her so many times of how fragile her life was now that she was a fledgling.
 
Swirling her half empty drink in her hand, she stared into its contents, hardly noticed Damon return with two red martinis for themselves.
 
“Is there any hope for me?”
 
The twins seemed to pause, both taking sips of their red-tinted drinks simultaneously.
 
“Why not? You're in the Order now. You're protected...Has Emeris been educating you?” Damon muttered into his glass.
 
“Yes...Quite adamantly I might add...I don't see why he wouldn't have made sure I was getting the blood I needed...Maybe I was suppose to ask...”
 
“Don't make excuses for him. He's a Diviner like the `Prince', if he had been doing his job he would have foreseen this, and brought it up somehow....” Damon down the contents of his glass.
 
“...At least he would have made your life hell about it...It just seems that he wanted to prove himself unfit to be your mentor.” Darien finished.
 
The burning was almost non-existent in her throat. Gabrielle would have to keep in mind that two pints of blood was enough to relieve a week's worth of starvation. She swirled around the last mouthful of the drink in her palm, trying not to think of that bastard Emeris.
 
“Heh...Doesn't hate me...Not trying to sabotage me...My ass.” A hiss escaped her, dripping with venom as she threw her head back and down the last mouthful of her drink. The twins merely glanced at each other, shrugging nonchalantly.
 
Damon tugged the glass out of Gabrielle's death grip.
 
“We're going to cut you off now... Last thing we need is you to go marching back to the Order wanting a fight with him.”
 
“Yeah Gabi, it's not a good idea. It's not worth your time. We'll sneak you out here as many times as you need, even without Andrea and the `Prince'.” Gabrielle's head shot up at this, her vicious thoughts of Emeris draining from her mind. Why did they care? Weren't they only nice to her because she was Jean's new favourite member of the Order?
 
“Why do you two even care?” Why not voice her thoughts? What was the worst that could happen.
 
“Well...” The two twins started, gazing awkwardly at one another. “ Because we—“
 
“No fair you two! You brought her here without us!” A over-boisterous voice whined over the heavy rock, cutting the two Twins off as he ushered himself into the booth, Andrea not far behind.
 
“She was suffering out there! What did you expect us to do?” The twins shot back in unison. “Besides, you don't like blood...Why would you even come here?”
 
“To see if our favourite fledgling's overwhelming thirst has been quenched, of course!” Jean proudly announced to the entire bar, causing Gabrielle to sink low in her seat. Did he have to make his presence known everywhere? It was kind of cute back at home...But out in public?
 
As if sensing her discomfort, Darien waved the remainder of his bloodied drink in front of Jean, causing him to `eep' and recoil to the farthest side of the booth. Gabrielle could not help but giggle, no wonder he had kept so far away from her when she was thirsty. Daring to anger him, Gabrielle ran her finger along the rim of Darien's glass, wiggling the bloodied digit at Jean. The silly action rewarded her with a girlish shudder and a squirming Jean. Some prince.
 
“Anyway. We should fuck off out of here. The blood sucker is fed, we got our rations. Let's not forget you two took her away from Emeris. He could be looking for her.” Andrea snapped, grazing around the room with a degree of paranoia. Gabrielle would have questioned Andrea's odd behaviour, but what she said was true. Emeris wasn't the type to just accept that Gabrielle had disappeared...Especially since they were in the middle of a fight.
 
“It's not like Emeris knows she hangs with us...”
 
“...Otherwise we would have heard from him by now.” Darien smiled, downing the rest of his drink before sliding out of the booth with his brother.
 
“That's very true... But I'm fine with going back, now that I know I won't kill anyone...” Gabrielle smiled softly to her motley crew of friends. Even though she was unsure of their attachment to her, or even the strained awkwardness between Andrea and herself, at least she knew now that they would take care of her.
 
“Aw, alright...” Damon pouted playfully, laughing as he rushed off to the bar once again.
 
“...So much for getting wasted tonight.” Darien laughed as well, making Gabrielle roll her eyes as the non-imps ushered out of the booth. Gabrielle ran a pale hand along her black jean skirt, smoothing out the creases before Damon returned to her side. A small cloth bag was then thrust into her hands a wicked smirk on the lips of the shadow imp before he slipped over to his brother's side.
 
“Huh?” Gabrielle blinked, sneaking a peek into the bag as they made their way through the bar. A small I.V. bag of crimson liquid, and a prescription bottle of dark pills met her eye, causing her to raise an eyebrow at the darker twin.
 
“Call it an emergency supply. Plus blood capsules are just cooler.” Damon laughed, wrapping an arm around his twin, trailing just behind Jean as he flung the door open and flew up the stairs.
 
The scent of blood in this place must have bothered him more than he was letting on.
 
“Thank you, Damon...” Gabrielle smiled affectionately to the twins, slipping the strap of the cloth bag over her shoulder, carrying it like a messenger bag. “ I owe you...How much was it for the drinks?”
 
Not that she had money anymore.
 
Nearly tripping on the final step back up to the surface of the road, Damon gazed at her awkwardly, as if he didn't understand her.
 
“Like.. Money? Err...” Damon scratched the back of his head, his smile now more awkward than anything else. Darien seemed to be having troubles not laughing at Gabrielle's question.
 
“They don't charge us.” A mischievous smile appeared on Darien's lips. Gabrielle knew there had to be something up...The question was whether or not she wanted to know. Going against her better judgement, she sighed and gazed at the two, pausing at the top of the stairs.
 
“I'm going to regret this...But what haven't you two told me?”
 
The twins smirked, Gabrielle already dreaded asking, her head dropped into her hands.
 
“Our family owns this bar.” They answered in unison, there was no way she could conceal her surprise.
 
“But!...You guys are Imps...Why would you need a blood bar?...And you two live at the Order...I don't get it...”
 
“Eh, for us, our service to The Order is more like boot camp...” Damon shrugged, wicked smile still in place.
 
“...Our family is actually quite wealthy and powerful...” Darien trailed, glancing at his brother.
 
“They just needed a break from our shenanigans.” Finished in unison beautifully, no longer containing their amusement over Gabrielle's facial expressions. Intrigue, shock, disbelief, more shock, and now...
 
“She's trying to catch flies again...”
 
“You'd think she'd be full after all that blood...”
 
“Unhand me! Filthy street urchins!”
 
The proud over of Jean seemed to cut through the dull murmur of the crowd, causing the lagging trio to jump as seek out the source of such an outburst.
 
“I swear, the `Prince' has no idea what it means to be subtle.” Gabrielle muttered, this time grabbing a hold of the twins and rushing through the heavily crowded marketplace.
 
The three had no idea how true Gabrielle's statement was until they reached the edge of spectator circle, all watching Jean and Andrea as they were harassed by a small group of leather studded males. There was only five of them, but it seemed to be enough to outnumber two Order subjects.
 
“Great. Just had to go pissing off the locals...” Damon muttered under his breath, double checking his back for his wings.
 
“...We can't use our powers here. It'll get back to the Abbot and we'll all be in shit.” Darien hissed, grumbling incoherently under his own breath before the two decided to back up their friends.
 
Well, Gabrielle wasn't going to just abandon them. It was her fault that they were out here so long. Andrea's regular trips were always short, under the ten minute mark. But because of her they had been out there for over two hours. So, foolish thoughts in place, Gabrielle rushed to her friends, tossing herself in-between the leader and Jean.
 
“Please, we don't mean to make trouble.” Like that was going to work. The men were obviously pissed, they weren't simply going to allow Jean to walk away from them. Heavens only knows what he did to tick them off in the first place.
 
“Aw. What a pretty little girl. Go run along Missy, let the men talk.” The leader hissed playfully, his gaze lingering on her long enough to give her goose bumps. Gabrielle could feel the blood boil in her veins. She had met a few men like him, though they were dressed in more noble attire, and were usually the snobby heir to some company.
 
And she always treated them the same way. With no respect whatsoever.
 
“Sorry, shit for brains. This `little girl' is staying right here. You're welcome to try and remove me though.” Gabrielle hissed, her cerulean eyes glaring daggers into the leader's dead blue orbs. It seemed that within a heartbeat of that uttered sentence, the leather clad men lunged at the five with reckless abandon.
 
Jean had quickly moved in front of Gabrielle, holding back the leader from even touching her. The rest of the group was already preoccupied with fending themselves...Pretty poorly at that. The twins were lost without the use of their powers, though any man that tried to grab at Darien soon complained of his hand being burnt. Jean was struggling with vicious leader, and Andrea seemed to be the only one who knew how to fight.
 
“Shit...” Gabrielle gazed behind her, grabbing a handful of dark hair belonging to the odd man trying to sneak a shot at Andrea, throwing him to the ground with barely any force. The pavement cracked under the man, causing Gabrielle to gasp and release her grasp on the now unconscious man. Emeris had warned her of excessive strength, now that her muscles would no longer feel the strain of activity. She just didn't realize it would mean she could indirectly crack pavement.
 
“Fuck, you guys we have to get out of here!” A desperate cry sprang forth from the red haired girl, causing all activity to pause within the circle.
 
“What the fuck did you do to him!” Cried the leader, tossing Jean aside and rushing to his companion's. The others seemed to follow suit, allow the five a plausible escape from the situation, an option they did not hesitate on using.
 
A familiar dark cloud engulfed the roadside, only evaporating when the five were gone from sight, leaving the gang to scratch their heads in wonder.
 
~*~
 
“What a bloody rush!
 
“I know! We haven't fought without our powers since...”
 
“...Ever!”
 
“I'm glad you three are amazed with this. We could have been killed!” Andrea hissed to the boys, who couldn't seem to stop gushing over the almost horrific incident of the night.
 
They were wandering through the hidden corridor, Andrea and Gabrielle at the front, the gushing boys trailing behind them. Gabrielle had tried to apologize several times already, but each time was met with either a glare from Andrea, or snickers from the boys. No one blamed her.
 
“It brought a great excitement to the night, especially with Gabrielle!” Jean gushed once again, causing both females present to cringe. “I have never seen a vampire's power up close before, it's immaculate! Imagine how you will be with some conditioning!”
 
Gabrielle had cracked asphalt with a human body, she didn't want to imagine what she could do if she understood the lengths of her powers.
 
“Well, we'll have to do this again...You know...”
 
“...Without the fighting bit.” Darien finished, snickering as Andrea fought to pull the torch down, the hidden trigger to the entrance of the corridor.
 
In one swift movement, the five poured out into the normal corridor, the door shutting quickly behind them.
 
Bracing them against the wall opposite of the hidden entrance, an awkward silence fell over the group. They were finally home, safe from the dangers of the Night World. Safe for another night at least. For a solid moment, all they did was breath heavily and gaze at one another, as if only within the walls of the Order did they feel the exhaustion of their activities.
 
Andrea was surprisingly, the first to crack.
 
First it had sounded like she was simply clearing her throat, but then it happened again, and again. Soon enough, her hands flew to her mouth to hold back her laughter. With that, the rest followed suit, bursting out laughing they had all been suppressing since the incident. Some slid down the wall as a result of their laughter, only causing everyone to laugh harder.
 
Gabrielle's side were already hurting, yet she couldn't stop herself, the laughter forcing her to lean against the alcove pillar, doubling over. It had been a full minute of laughing until Gabrielle forced herself to inhale, straightening up.
 
Her eyes immediately locked to a pair of familiar angry green eyes.
 
She couldn't repress the scream in her throat, launching herself away from the newest addition, bracing herself against the twins. After that, the laughter stopped, and everyone's focus was on the silent Emeris, a murderous look in his eyes.
 
“Uh-oh...” Damon gulped, Darien nodded hesitantly.
 
“Busted.”