Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Catch and Release ❯ Genie/Tale of Two Things ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Original Prompt :: A Tale of Two Things
New Title :: Genie
Word Count :: 481
Character(s) :: Hikari and Mic
 
They were burning. Every last written page was slowly going up in flames to be left in ashes on a metal pan. Her papers were burning. Her manuscript was going, going, near gone. This thought was slowly, slowly sinking into her every fiber, laying siege to her mind and forcing her to accept the awful but true situation before her. Her nearly completed first draft manuscript was almost gone. And Hikari had not a back up to her name.
As this truth hit her petite frame with the force of a tsunami's wave she struggled against her stepfather's hold. Her mother was watching it burn all away. Her mother was watching the wild fire she'd set to her story's land wipe out every last person, every building and take them all away from her daughter. And there wasn't remorse to be seen.
“Those were mine!” she whispered, eyes trained on the flame devoured papers that were now close to nothing more than ash within the pan they'd burned in. Her mother grabbed the pan and walked to the sink, turning the facet on and letting cool water make sure the flames were out and taking the ash away with it down the drain.
“You're nearly in college; you can't stay lost in these fantasy worlds any more. They're a disgrace; find a career path that actually has an end. You can't become a writer, it's a fantasy. Do not delude yourself. You can be something even more,” her stepfather's voice rang in her ears. He let go finally and both he and her mother left after a few moments of attempting to bring her with them. Hikari walked to the sink, looking at what remained of the world she had created.
“Well now…” she whispered somberly, “…where's a genie when you need one? I'd wish for my story back, to be out of this house, for a publisher to take interest. Heck, I could just wish for two and get the third free…” She shut her eyes and sighed. She sat down in front of the sink with her head in her hands.
“Yea, I'd give anything for a genie right now.”
“I'm not a genie, but I can grant one of those wishes charge free.” Hikari looked up unconvinced. Her stepbrother stood at the kitchen door, binder in hand. It was the binder he handed to her. Within, photocopied neatly, was every page of the story whose land was now ash behind her.
“You asked me to read it once, remember? It was better than I thought, so when I heard what was going to happen…I photocopied it. I think my father's wrong, by the way. You at least deserve a chance…” Hikari smiled at Mic, clutching the binder painfully to her chest.
“Sure you're not a genie?” Mic gave a comical shrug before she tackled him in a great hug.