Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter Twelve

Sam sat with Trish for a while, the two of them simply talking the way they used to, however this time she could feel the usually tension between them loosening. It was as if the simply knowledge of each others feelings made that unusual tension that sometimes appeared over them to drift away. Occasionally Trish would touch Sam’s hand and pull away, but Sam assured the girl that it was alright to touch her, in fact she internally liked the feeling of the girl’s touch but did not want to tell Trish for fear that it would get the girl’s hopes up too quickly. They rang the nurse soon after and asked for a couple of movies to watch on the small television that hung on the wall in the corner of the room. Before long Trish was sitting next to Sam on the bed as they watched a movie, cuddling close to each other. Sam was beginning to enjoy the closeness of her friend at her side when she suddenly felt a voice come to the surface of her mind and she remembered Star was still part of her mind.

((Sam?!?)) Star’s anxious voice called out through the fog, ((Sam, can you hear me?))

Sam smiled at the sound of the girl’s voice, ((Star? I’m glad to hear you again.))

Star let out a sigh of relief, ((What happened? I lost you there for a moment.))

((Sorry, I think it was the drugs.)) Sam suggested with a shrug, ((The moment after I took them it was like my mind was filled with a fog and I couldn’t hear you anymore.))

((I was scared there for a moment.)) Star stated worriedly, ((I finally decided to search for you and I nearly loose you again.))

Sam smiled again, ((I don’t think we’ll loose each other. Wait you are searching for me?))

Star nodded, ((I have no idea where to start, but I think you have to be in town somewhere, a year older, but still you.))

Sam frowned, ((How will my older self take that? I mean we don’t even know what will happen in a year.))

Star smiled, ((I have a feeling you will be glad to see me, as happy as I will be to see you.)) She said confidently.

Sam nodded in agreement, ((I know I want to meet you now so I’ll sure as hell will still want to meet you a year from now.)) She glanced over at Trish, who was entranced by the movie, ((Did you hear I’m moving in with Trish and her mother.)) Sam inquired excitedly.

Star frowned, ((Yeah, I heard. You must be happy. I mean you get to be with the one you love.))

Sam shook her head, ((I’m not sure if I love her or not. We talked things out and decided to just see how things go, but now I’m at least accepting that there is a chance that I could love a girl.))

This caused Star’s heart to flutter and Sam could feel it, ((That is wonderful.)) She exclaimed with more excitement then she meant.

Sam chuckled lightly, ((Thanks for talking to me yesterday. I think I would have kept running if it wasn’t for you. Thanks.))

Star lightly flushed, ((It is nothing. I just let you talk was all. I’m just glad you have come to terms with yourself.))

Sam felt Trish snuggle into her a little closer and could feel her heart racing even more and let out a sigh, ((So am I. Even if this doesn’t turn out to be love it is nice to be loved by someone.))

Star smiled, ((I know what you mean…)) Abruptly she stopped speaking and Sam felt an intense amount of dread fill her heart.

((What is going on?)) Sam inquired, worried for her new friend, ((Is everything alright?))

*******

Star stood with her hand upon the knob to her home, the door slightly ajar and a sensation of intense fear and pain filled began to fill her heart. Quickly she pushed open the door to find the house dark, with all the curtains pulled shut and the lights out. Deep down she hoped that this only meant that her mother was out getting groceries or maybe prepared something for her birthday and would jump out to surprised her at any moment, but she knew that was not true because of waves of fear and anger emitted from the house, feeling that never before arose from her home before, that was usually lively and warm. Something dreadful has just happened in her house and she was almost frightened to enter the place, but the thought of her mother hurt made her enter the house in search of what could have caused these emotions to fill her home. The muffled sounds of beeps came from her handbag, but she ignored and as she moved further into the house.

((Is everything alright?)) Sam inquired yet again.

((I… I… don’t know…)) Star stammered as her eyes adjusted to the gloom and she walked down the front hall to the living room, which was off to her right, and stopped dead in her tracks as her worst nightmares became true. The living room was filled with many colourful balloons and streamers, which she knew must have been put in place by her mother as she waited to surprise her when she returned home. A cake sat upon the octagon table in the middle of the room with candles awaiting being set a blaze for some lucky person to make a wish upon. In the middle of the room lay a scene that she expected to only see in the movies. Her mother lay on her back in an unnatural position with a pool of blood upon her stomach and another forming under her back. A second hole could be seen in the woman’s neck and yet another in her shoulder. Instantly Star realized that her mother had been shot and was more then likely dead, but something inside of her didn’t believe what her eyes told her.

Thinking that this was all some kind of cruel birthday prank and that her mother would get up to surprise her, she took a step into the room with the intention of finding out if her mother was in fact dead when she felt something move in the shadows off to her left. As she turned she saw a tall man standing in the shadows with something in his hand. Her mind quickly told her to run, but her feet did not respond to her command as she stared in disbelief at the person before her.

*****

((Star???)) Sam worriedly inquired again. She could sense something was indeed wrong as every part of her body filled with a sense of panic and fear, ((Star!?!)) She called out again, but the girl did not respond. Frightened and curious Sam slowly closed her eyes to get a glimpse at what could have frightened her friend so badly. The sight of blood shocked her as her eyes set upon Star’s mother lying on the floor in front of her. A breath caught in her throat as she realized that the woman was dead and just as she was about to call out for Star to flee she felt someone move to her left and Star turned to face a man standing in the shadows. Before she could understand what was going on her ears shook with the sound of a loud bang and something hot ripped through her side. Her hands quickly moved to her side and could feel warm blood seeping through her fingertips. Star starred down at a wound in her side, her fingers covered in crimson, dripping over her fingers to off-white carpet. She glanced up again to see the man step closer, a gun in his hand and a second later a flash exploded in front of her face and the world turned dark. Nothing but silence followed as Samantha slipped out of consciousness once again.

*****

Trish was startled as Samantha suddenly sat up right. Her eyes were closed, but there was an intense expression of fear upon her face. Abruptly Sam clenched her side and slowly moved her trembling hands before her face, as if seeing them through her closed eyes. Trisha reached out to touch the girl, to wake her from whatever nightmare she was trapped in. Just as her fingers were about to touch the girl her head snapped back and she fell to the bed, limp.

Franticly Trish grabbed her friend by the shoulders and lightly shook her, “Samantha?” She shook the girl again, “Samantha? What happened???” Not knowing what to do she jumped out of the bed and rushed out of the room, in search of help.

*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com