Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ A Restless Night ❯ A Restless Night ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Restless Night
 
By Killed Ideal
 
Disclaimer: “Ronin Warriors” is copyright of Sunrise and Bandai Entertainment. I can claim only this fanfic itself as mine.
 
 
Author's note: As marked in the summary, this is an AU fanfic. It takes place shortly after the defeat of Lord Saberstrike and the merging of White Blaze with Black Blaze. Anubis has already joined the Ronin Warriors as the new Ancient One, and Kayura does not exist.
 
 
“Ancient One,” a man whispered as he stood not more than ten feet outside the manor that Miss Mia Koji had opened not only to the Ronin Warriors but to himself as well. The air was still, and all around him it was dark. Even the house itself was dark, but that did not surprise the man. It had to be nearly midnight, after all. “Ancient One, are the Ronin Warriors truly ready to fight against Talpa? They are strong, I know that well, but are they strong enough? Can they hope to win this battle? They have a great desire to win, and an even stronger desire to prevent Talpa from winning. Ancient One, is that enough?”
 
It would have been an odd thing to see and hear were the man not alone. He was speaking to the dead man as though he were there with him. Speaking as though the dead could respond. The only answer that the solitary form received was a small breeze of night air against his face.
 
The immobile man shut his teal eyes, and he let not only darkness but power wash over him. His clothing changed as he let the power calling to him fill his very being. What had been a plain outfit that easily blended in with modern fashion became archaic robes of blue and white. He held out a hand, and the staff of the Ancient One appeared in his palm. He did not move as the rings of the staff struck together, even though the wind had died, and he listened to the sound shatter the stillness of the night. Despite the noise, not a single beast's cry was heard, and no light came on in the house.
 
“Am I ready?” he whispered when the rings stopped their noise, still speaking to the man that was not there. “Am I capable of leading this assault?”
 
There was no reply, and Anubis felt a shudder move through his body.
 
“Traitor!” The word rang out from behind Anubis, and his teal eyes snapped open again. Everything around him was completely dark, and there was no sign of the Koji Manor nor the nearby forest. When Anubis turned to face the voice that had addressed him, he found himself looking at a former comrade. His opponent was only feet behind him, poised to strike.
 
“Sekhmet,” Anubis said softly, and his hands gripped the staff tightly as he prepared for the first attack from his armored foe.
 
The Warlord of Venom did not hesitate. He pulled out two swords, one from each of the sheaths that rested upon his shoulders, and he struck. The swords came at the red-haired former Warlord, and Anubis pushed the staff in front of him to counter the blow. Red smoke issued from the places of contact, and Anubis looked into the eye holes of the armor's helmet, into those purple eyes of the minion of Talpa. As Anubis applied pressure with the staff, he was vaguely aware of the soft, chiming sound that the rings were making with one another. Sekhmet was finally forced a few steps away, and Anubis prepared himself.
 
This time, as Sekhmet prepared for another attack, Anubis took the first strike. He shot himself forward, and he felt the end of the staff connect with the breast plate of Sekhmet's armor. The older male gave a cry, and Anubis felt the staff, almost as if by its own accord, sinking further in.
 
“Sekhmet!” Anubis shouted as he pulled against the staff, drawing it out of the wounded Warlord, but it was too late. Blood blossomed against the red breastplate, and it seeped onto the rest of the green armor as Sekhmet fell back and hit the ground. Anubis watched him, begging him inwardly to move at all, but the body did not obey his plea. It remained motionless.
 
“Die, you fool,” a growl issued from behind Anubis, and the redhead cried out as he felt three blades run themselves fiercely into his unprotected back. Anubis felt the blood pour as they were pulled out, and he wanted nothing more than to fall forward and give into the pain, yet he would not. He forced himself around, to face his new adversary.
 
“Cale,” Anubis addressed his attacker as he looked into the dark green eyes that, especially aided by the shadows of the helmet he wore, were almost black belonging to the Warlord of Corruption. The bearer of the Jackal Armor was chuckling, admiring the blood on the claws of his hand guard. The staff's rings began to chime even louder and, despite the pain of his back, Anubis moved forward.
 
His staff was caught by Cale's long sword, and the pressure applied from the Warlord was enough to throw Anubis back. Cale seemed to merely drink in the sound of Anubis crying out in pain as his all ready injured back hit the ground. Anubis knew, even as he used the staff to force himself back to his feet, that he should not be alive, let alone able to stand. Yet he had no time to question this odd occurrence. That long sword was arcing downward, coming right for him.
 
Anubis threw himself back, watching as the lethal blade cut deep into the ground in front of him, where he had been standing before. His eyes focused on Cale, and he moved forward and jumped up. Without thinking, he directed the point of his staff to come down again, right between Cale's eyes. The helmet split, and Anubis threw his weight forward as he twisted to the left. His hand came around, swinging the staff, and it connected with the back of Cale's neck with a sickening crack. Cale fell forward, face down, and he did not rise again.
 
“Cale,” Anubis whispered again as he knelt once more beside his fallen foe, his former friend. He touched the dark blue hair of the Warlord, and he shut his eyes only halfway. His back still hurt so badly, but Anubis could no longer feel blood flowing from the wound. He did not bother to question the reason. He didn't have time.
 
Six curved blades had come from out of nowhere behind him. One pair laid into his shoulders, the second into his sides, and the final pair right above his knees. Anubis cried out in pain as they dug into his skin and then retracted. His breathing was heavy as he forced himself back to his feet, and he staggered as he turned around. His final foe was waiting for him.
 
“Does it hurt?” the cool drawl of his new opponent came. “It's nothing more than you deserve.”
 
“Dais,” Anubis uttered an unsaid plea in his voice.
 
“You will not survive me!” the Warlord of Illusion threatened as his single blue eye glowed behind the right eyehole of the helmet of the Spider Armor. Anubis was ready to give in, to let the attack that Dais was preparing kill him. He had had enough of fighting, enough of killing his former friends. However, his body would not obey. As though blades came down at him again, Anubis pushed the staff forward to shield his body. When the six blades clamped against its body, the staff glowed faintly. The rings became louder in their clanging, overpowering Anubis's senses almost completely. He was only faintly aware of his own actions as he pushed the staff up and saw the blades release. Then he watched, powerless, as they turned and went for Dais.
 
“Dais!” Anubis shouted, though he could only just hear himself above the clattering of the rings. The eldest of the Warlords did not seem to hear him at all, and Anubis realized all too suddenly that he could not save the other. He could not warn the other that his attack was coming back at him. “Dais!” he screamed again as he watched the blades sink into the Armor of the Spider, and the armor's bearer fell back, blood running from the wounds his own weapons had made on him.
 
“Anubis.” The voice was cold, deep, and it filled Anubis with every sense of dread. It was the voice of Talpa, somehow echoing above the painful clanging of the Ancient One's staff. Despite the voice, Anubis could not even lift his hand from the pain of all his wounds, let alone fight the commander of the Dynasty. Slowly, unable to do anything further, Anubis let his eyes close.
 
“Anubis.” His name again but from a different voice. This voice was soft, almost worried.
 
Anubis forced his teal eyes open, and he gave a start. The staff was in his hands, but it was still and silent. The rings were not moving, and their sound could not be heard at all. Anubis was standing outside the Koji Manor, and he saw no blood or bodies on the ground, and he felt no pain.
 
“Anubis.” The second voice he'd heard call his name came again, and Anubis turned his head to see who it was. Standing there was a young man in jeans and a red shirt. His blue eyes were focused on the red-haired male, and his black hair was in a slight state of disarray.
 
“Ryo,” Anubis finally returned the greeting.
 
“Have you been out here all night?” Ryo questioned, looking at the man clad in the robes of the Ancient One. “Mia said she never heard you come in.”
 
“I,” Anubis said as he turned his head to see the sun peeking over the edge of the forest, “suppose I have.”