Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening Angel ❯ Dangerous Mission ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I really hate these things... But I guess they must be done. Okay, I don't own the Ronin Warriors. I wish I did. Well, I wish they were real people and I owned them. That way Rowen and I could do... *laughs* Errr... never mind. Forget I said anything. Back to the point. I don't own the Ronins, but I do own Shara, Kenji, Miaka, and the currently unnamed Dynasty henchman. As soon as I figure out a cool name that means "Ice", or something, I'll give him a name. ^_^ And even though this next statement probably doesn't belong in a disclaimer, I'm going to throw it in anyway. If this is the chapter you start on (though I don't see why it would be), I strongly suggest you go back and read my prologue and the first chapter. Without those, this story isn't going to make a lot of sense... Anyway. On with the show.

Dangerous Mission

"Wake up! Wake up!" She opened her eyes reluctantly and found herself staring into innocent teal blue eyes.

"Kenji," she murmured, sitting up slowly, "what time is it?"

"Ten in the morning! You're supposed to take me to training today, remember?" He jumped up and down eagerly.

Rising out of bed, she walked to her closet and opened the door. "Yes, yes, I remember, sweetie… Go wait in the living room and we'll go right after I get dressed."

He ran over and threw his arms around her waist in a tight hug. "Thanks, Mommy! Yay! This is going to be so much fun!" Smiling brightly, Kenji skipped out of the room.

She chuckled. "In love with the fight already… just like his father." Shara closed her eyes and sighed. "Oh, Sage… I wish you'd come home soon…" As she pulled a shirt and jeans out of the closet, Shara could feel hot tears stinging her eyes. She ran a hand over her face, wiping away the tears, and quickly dressed.

"Mooooooom!" She heard Kenji yell from downstairs and had to laugh.

"Coming!" Shara hurried down to the living room and walked over to an antique oak weapons chest, removing her Chinese sword and Kenji's training bokken. She handed him the wooden sword and fastened the strap of her belt, slipping her sword into its sheath.

"Hey, Mommy, do I have to learn to use a sword?"

Shara was surprised. "Oh. Well… I thought you wanted to fight like me. That you had talent with a blade." She gazed at her son with wide eyes. "What do you want to learn?"

Kenji chewed on his lower lip. "Um… See, Uncle Rowen was showing me how to use a bow… And I liked it, Mommy! I even hit the very center of the target once!"

She paled slightly. "Really? We'll… have to wait and ask your daddy when he returns. Until then, you can keep training with the bokken."

He pouted. "Yes, Mom. But Uncle Rowen was going to meet me at the field today so we could--"

Grabbing Kenji's arm, Shara led him out the front door. "You'll just have to tell Rowen to go home. He will not train you without your father's permission."

They walked down the path silently, until Kenji finally spoke up. "Mom? Why don't you like Uncle Rowen?"

She halted in mid-stride. "What… whatever made you think that? Rowen and I are… very good friends."

"Well, Mommy, you just never let him come to our house, and never look at him or talk to him, and--"

"Don't worry about it, hon. I have… nothing against Rowen. Nothing at all." She started walking rapidly, forcing Kenji to run so he could catch up.

A tall figure suddenly appeared on the path ahead of them. "Don't be in such a hurry, Shara." He pointed his scythe's blade at her throat. "I have business to discuss with you."

She instantly drew her sword. "Such bad manners. Don't you know you're not supposed to threaten your business partners?"

Chuckling, he took a step back. "You want to fight? How… brave of you. But also quite stupid." He relaxed his weapon at his side and smiled slightly. "However, it is unnecessary. Just hand over the boy, and no one will be harmed."

Shara stepped in front of Kenji. "You will never touch my son. You'll have to kill me first."

"Easily done." He twirled his scythe and laughed. "You no longer possess your armor. Defeating you will be simple."

"We'll see about that." She slashed at his throat, stepping nimbly to the side as she did. Deflecting that attack with the blade of his scythe, the black-haired man swept her feet out from under her with the end of the shaft. The instant she hit the ground, Shara quickly rolled to the right, barely dodging the swishing blade that impaled itself in the ground where her head had been moments before.

The man stepped back and watched as Shara leaped to her feet. "I grow weary of this battle already. You're not even a challenge, and I see no reason for me to waste any more time on you." Raising his scythe into the air, he shouted, "Icy Death Grip!" The air grew freezingly cold and a claw of ice formed in mid-air. It closed on Shara, squeezing the strength out of her body.

"Moooooooommyyy!" Kenji ran toward her, swinging his weapon at the hand. "Let her go, you mean man!"

He laughed loudly, stepping forward and grabbing Kenji by the arm. "Such spirit! The Dynasty will certainly be able to use you." The man waved his other hand and the claw vanished.

Shara collapsed on the forest floor, her vision darkening. "Ken… ji…" As she weakly reached out toward him, the man and her son vanished. The last bit of energy left her body, and everything went black.

--------------------------------------------------

Soft crying echoed in her ears, and she felt strong arms holding her close. Opening her eyes slowly, Shara saw wild blue hair. "Oh… Rowen…"

He pulled his head off her shoulder and gazed at her in shock. "Shara! You're… you're alive! I thought…" He held her tighter. "I thought I'd lost you…"

Gently wiping a tear from his face, she smiled weakly. "Takes more than a weak Dynasty henchman to get rid of me..."

Rowen laughed and kissed her forehead softly. "I wish I'd gotten here sooner. I was waiting for you and Kenji to arrive at the field, and when you were late, I decided-"

"Kenji? No!" She pulled away from Rowen and struggled to stand. "Where is he?! That man couldn't have taken him… He stole… my… my son…" Shara nearly fell again, but Rowen caught her.

He stroked her hair. "It's okay… We'll gather the Ronins and get Kenji back. There's no way the Dynasty will get away with this."

"But, Rowen… we can't defeat them! This guy was so strong… And the Armor of Angel doesn't exist any more! Without the Warriors' strongest power, we'll never win!" She clutched his shirt in her hands, tears falling down her face. "If I'd never gotten rid of my armor…"

"If you hadn't, Sage would still be dead. I don't think that's a price you would want to pay."

"Instead, my son's life will be taken! I don't want that either…"

Rowen touched her cheek lightly. "I won't let that happen. Kenji will be safe, I promise you."

"Thank you so much for helping…"

"Hey, we're friends, Shara. And friends always help each other." He moved closer, an intense look on his face. "Besides… I'd do anything for you. No matter what happens, I will always protect you..."

She gazed into his midnight blue eyes, as dark as the sky just before the sun completely sets. They were only inches away, burning with a fiery passion that she recognized all too clearly. "Rowen…" Shaking her head, Shara pulled out of the embrace. "No. No, we can't… I can't…" She picked up her sword and slipped it back into its sheath. "Let's go find the others."

He sighed and nodded. "Of course. Time to try and save the world… again."

--------------------------------------------------

"Hey, Shara! Rowen!" Kento waved from the porch, his mouth full and a giant hamburger clutched in one hand. "Wha' ah oo too 'oin' 'ere?"

Cye emerged from the house, drying his hands on a dishtowel. "You know, Kento, it would be easier to understand what you say if you'd swallow first." His smile faded as he saw the expressions on Rowen and Shara's faces. "What has happened?"

"I… was attacked on the forest trail… on my way to the training field. It was a Dynasty warrior, and he… he…" Shara's voice faltered.

Rowen squeezed her hand and finished the sentence. "Kenji was kidnapped, and we're not sure why."

Kento nearly dropped his food. "Little Man? Kidnapped? No way! They can't get away with that!" He clenched his fist and punched the railing. "We've gotta find Ryo and Sage so we can get him back!"

"Ryo should be easy to find," Cye mused, "but Sage… Shara, do you know where he went to train?"

She bit her lip, shaking her head sadly. "He never tells me. I've begged him time and time again to let me know, so I could contact him in case of an emergency. But he never listens."

"Don't worry." Rowen smiled at her. "We'll call Ryo, and then search for Sage. He can't be too far away."

"But what if-"

"We'll find him, Shara." Cye turned and walked back into the house. "I'll phone Ryo right away."

A long silence consumed the trio still outside. Leaning against the railing, Kento gazed out toward the horizon and finally disrupted the quiet. "Ya know, Sage is probably-"

"Right here." Shara, Rowen, and Kento spun around at the sound of the voice. A tall blond man stood at the edge of the lake, his sword casually propped on his shoulder.

"Sage!" She dashed across the yard and threw her arms around him. "I'm so… so glad…" Her voice broke as tears flooded her eyes once more.

He stroked her hair gently. "Shar? What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"Kenji… he… he… he's…"

Sage's body stiffened and he gripped her shoulders tightly. "Kenji? Where is he?" He shook Shara slightly. "Tell me! Is he… he… dead?"

"No! Of course not! It's just…" She closed her eyes and leaned against him. "I couldn't… couldn't stop him…"

"Shara!" Sage cried in exasperation. "Just tell--"

"He was kidnapped!" Shara sobbed. "By… by… the Dynasty…"

Sage paled and pulled Shara tight against him. "Oh, God… I'm… How… how did it happen?"

"We were on our way to the training field, to meet Rowen. A man appeared ahead of us and threatened to take Kenji. So I… I drew my sword and tried to fight him off, but… he was… just too strong for me. The man grabbed Kenji, said the Dynasty could really use him, and vanished. Then I… I guess I passed out, because I don't remember anything else until… until Rowen arrived." She raised her head and stared into her husband's clear blue eyes. "I'm sorry I didn't… that I couldn't…"

"It isn't your fault," he soothed. "You could never have defeated him without your powers." He brushed a strand of golden hair out of her eyes. "If anyone is to blame, it's me. If I hadn't run off to train… I would've been there. Maybe even… saved Kenji…"

Rowen put his hand on Sage's shoulder. "Don't think that way. What's past is past. Now we need to concentrate on getting… your son… home safely."

Shara turned to look at Rowen, shaking her head almost imperceptibly. "You're right. Sage and I need to save our son. No matter what it takes." She stepped out of Sage's arms and straightened her black blouse. "We need to contact Kayura. See if she can open a Gate for us to travel through."

Cye returned from inside. "Ryo will be here in a few hours. Miaka really didn't want him to come, but-" he finally noticed Sage "-when… When did you get here?" He hurried down the steps, Kento lazily following, and clapped Sage on the back. "Wonderful! We were terrified we wouldn't be able to find you!"

"I was on my way here, Cye. After three weeks of trail mix for meals, I wanted to have some of your great food." He smiled faintly. "Cooking is not one of Shar's strong points."

She rolled her eyes. "That may be so, but we have more important things to worry about." Kneeling on the ground, Shara closed her eyes and concentrated. Rowen placed his hands on her shoulders and tried to help her find Kayura's aura. An image of a slim blue-haired woman flickered before the Warriors.

"Why have you su…oned… me… War…ors?" She faded in and out of view.

"My son has been kidnapped," Sage told Kayura. "We need you to open a Gate to the Dynasty so we can rescue him."

"Yes… I have felt their presence stirring." A frown of puzzlement crossed her lovely face. "I wonder why they would want to kidnap a little boy… It doesn't seem to make any sense."

"Who cares why?" Shara cried. "Just help us get him back!"

"Shara, if you run into a battle without knowing your enemy, failure will be the only result." Kayura's tone was harsh, but her eyes held a sympathetic spark. "We will save your son, but we must first discover their plans."

"And how will we do that?"

The Ancient closed her eyes and sighed. "We will have to send a spy to the other side. Someone unknown to the Dynasty who can watch their every move without fear of their chi being detected."

"None of us can do that." Kento frowned. "Who-"

"Miaka," Cye murmured.

"What?" They all turned to stare at him.

"Miaka. She's the only one of us whom the Dynasty will not recognize. Right, Kayura?" After receiving a reluctant nod from the Ancient, Cye continued. "There is no other choice. Either we send Miaka, or we charge in unprepared. Either way, I'm certain there will be casualties."

Sage's face had grown paler and paler as Cye spoke. "But… how can we ask Ryo to send his own wife on such a dangerous mission? What if she dies? We can't do that… We can't ask Miaka to risk her life. This isn't her responsibility."

"Don't you care about your son?" Shara whirled to glare at him. "We have to get him back! By any means necessary."

"We can't just use other people, Shara! It isn't right!"

"If she volunteers, then we're not using her." She reached into her pocket and grabbed her cell phone. "And I'm going to ask her right now." Her fingers flew over the buttons.

Sage grabbed her arm. "Shara. No."

"Get your hands off of me!" She shoved him away and waited while the phone rang.

"Shara!"

"Shut up!" She turned her back on him and spoke into the phone. "Well, hello, Miaka. No, no, not you, dear. I was talking to Sage. How are you today? … Good, that's good. … Yes, it is an awful tragedy. I'm glad your husband decided to help out. … Yes, a very brave man. You must be so proud. … Yes," she chuckled, "just as proud as I am. … Miaka. I'm afraid I must ask you for a terrible favor. We need to send a spy to the Dynasty to see what they're doing with my son. You are the only person we could think of. … No, I can't guarantee your safety. … Yes, I know how much I'm asking. Believe me, if there was any other way, I wouldn't ask. … Well, can you at least come here so we can talk face to face? … Yeah. Okay. Uh-huh. See you in a few hours. Goodbye." Shara clicked off the phone and shoved it back in her pocket. "It's done."

Her husband shook his head angrily. "I can't believe you did that, Shara. You're trying to send Miaka to her death!"

"I'm trying to stop my son from dying! Why can't you understand that?"

"He's my son, too, Shar…" He bowed his head. "I want to save him just as much as you do…"

"Your son…" She laughed bitterly. "Then act like a father. Sometimes you have to sacrifice others to protect what's most important to you."

"That's not true!" Sage argued.

"She's right, man." Rowen stepped forward and put a comforting arm around Shara's shoulders. "Kenji is most important right now. Nothing else matters."

She leaned against Rowen, the strength draining from her body. "Thank you, Rowen… It's been such a long day… and I'm so tired… Please… Take me inside."

He nodded his head and led her away from the rest of the Warriors. Sage's eyes burned into Rowen's back the entire way.

--------------------------------------------------

"Shara…" Rowen touched her arm. "Come on, wake up. Ryo and Miaka are waiting downstairs."

Her eyes flickered open and a soft sigh escaped her lips. "I can't face them, Rowen… Ryo is going to hate me…" Her green eyes were dark with unshed tears. "Miaka is so wonderful… and Ryo loves her so much… How can I ask her to lay down her life to help me?" She turned away from him and shook his head. "Sage was right. We just can't use her like that."

"I don't know…" He slowly sat down, resting beside her on the edge of the bed. "Miaka married a Ronin. She knows the risks involved in just hanging around any of us. If she chooses to help, it's not because you forced her to. Ryo married a strong woman; she won't do anything just because she's told to. Miaka is here because she cares about you and your family."

"My family…" She chuckled darkly. "A husband who is disgusted with me… and Kenji…" A choked sob interrupted her sentence. "My precious son… my darling baby boy…" Her tears began to flow freely. "I love them both so much… And they're both being pulled away from me… Maybe this is my punishment from God… For… for…"

"No!" Rowen wrapped his arms tightly around her. "Shara, you're a good person. A wonderful mother and wife. God has no reason to punish you. The choices, the… mistakes… you've made in the past don't matter any more…"

She rolled over to face him and buried her face in his strong shoulder, her tears refusing to abate. "How do you know that's true, Rowen? What I did… was… it was… horrible. I should never… never be forgiven…"

Chuckling, he stroked her silky golden hair. "You are way too hard on yourself, Shara. It was a sin, yes. But millions have done the same thing. It isn't unique, it isn't new, it isn't unforgivable. You're sorry for what you did, and God has forgiven you because of that repentance. The only person who needs to forgive you is… well, you. You've got to learn how to forgive yourself."

"Would Sage forgive me, Rowen?" She lifted her face and gazed at him sadly.

He shook his head. "I don't know, Shara. He is your husband, and he loves you very much. If his love for you is stronger than the pain and anger he would experience, then, yes, he would have to forgive you. It all depends on the strength of his love."

"It isn't the strength of his love that should be tested," she murmured bitterly and looked away.

"Shara…" With a gentle touch, he turned her face toward him again. "You are not lacking in love. If anything, you have too much of it. Not just for Sage, but for everyone."

"Which is an even greater problem, Rowen. I'm only supposed to love my husband. I can't just… just walk around loving all of you. It's not fair to Sage, and it's not fair to the rest of you either."

"There are degrees and types of love. I know you don't love Cye and Kento and Ryo in the same way that you love Sage. It's okay to love other people, Shara, as long as you can keep the lines between types clear."

"But didn't that line blur? … Didn't I become confused?" She gazed up at him, her eyes pleading desperately for his agreement. "That's all it was, right? A temporary blur of the line. Nothing more."

Rowen was torn; he didn't know what to tell her. "… Shara. Maybe that is what it was… Or maybe a blurred line finally became clear…"

She looked stricken by his words. Almost horrified. "Rowen… How can you say such a thing?"

"It's easy to tell the truth…" He traced the line of her face with his fingertip, his dark eyes capturing her gaze. She sat still, paralyzed as he moved his lips toward hers…

"Hey, Shar…?" A light knock sounded on the partially open door. "Can I come in for a second?"

Rowen quickly separated himself from her and opened the door. "Come on in, Sage. I just woke her up and was about to leave."

"Oh. Thanks, Rowen." Sage slipped past him and made his way toward the bed. "Go tell the others we'll be down in a minute."

"No problem." Rowen shot one last meaningful look at her before closing the door behind him.

Sage stood beside the bed, fidgeting uncomfortably. "Shar…? Is… Are you… Is everything okay? Are you still upset with me?"

"Sage, I-"

"Because I want you to understand that I was only trying to do what I think is right. I still love you and Kenji more than anything else in the world. I'd die for either of you, Shar. But I just don't think I can let someone else die for our sake. And if you can't understand that, then, well, I don't know what to do. The last thing I want to do is let Kenji or you get hurt. So maybe we should just charge in and get Kenji back, but that doesn't feel right either. I don't know. I just need know how you are right now, Shar. We can figure out the rest later."

Shara stood up, chuckling. "Sage… You are making almost no sense at all." Wrapping her arms around his neck, she smiled lovingly. "But I knew you were insane when I married you. Your tendency to ramble when you get nervous is adorable. Much cuter than any smooth-talking phony. Just one of the many things I love about you." She pressed her lips to his, stroking the fine blond hair at the base of his neck tenderly.

After they parted, he slipped his arms around her waist and smiled. "So… I guess that I'm forgiven?"

Running her hands down his chest, the beautiful woman laughed brightly, pushing the scene with Rowen out of her mind. "Oh, definitely, Sage… Definitely." She lifted her face to his once more and drowned in his kiss.

--------------------------------------------------

"Glad you two could make it." Ryo grinned at Sage and Shara as they descended the stairs. "We were afraid we'd have to do this without you." He stretched his lean form across Cye's white couch, propping his feet on one of its arms. "So. What's the plan, guys?"

Cye frantically swatted at Ryo's feet with his dishtowel.

Shara couldn't help but laugh. "I think he wants your feet off his couch, Ryo." She watched as Miaka swung his feet back onto the floor and sat beside him.

"Manners, honey, manners." Miaka smiled and brushed a strand of dark red hair out of her eyes. "Now, shall we get down to business? What do you want me to do and when do I leave?"

Shara shook her head. "You're not going anywhere, Miaka. We decided that we can't use you like that. It isn't right, and it's not really necessary."

"Liar." Miaka leaned forward in her seat, her eyes narrowing. "'If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.' Sun Tzu. Wise words. The plan made perfect sense, Shara. You're only worrying about the possibility of me getting killed. I'm not a weakling, you know. I was training in the martial arts before I even met Ryo. And with his additional training, I know I can do pretty much any task you request. Now, without putting my safety into consideration, tell me if you need me or not."

She lowered her gaze to the floor. "… Yes, Miaka… We need you…"

Miaka sat back and nodded. "As I thought. And I'll do it."

Ryo looked back and forth between the two women, his face twisted into a look of confusion. "Umm… excuse me. What the heck are you two talking about?"

Shara's eyes widened. "You didn't tell him, Miaka?"

"No. If I had, he wouldn't have let me come over. But I will now." Miaka turned and took her husband's hands in her own. "I have to go to the Dynasty and scout around to see what they're doing to Kenji. I'm the only one for the job because no one in the Dynasty will recognize my chi. And don't argue with me, because I'm going, no matter what you say. Sage and Shara need my help."

He nodded reluctantly. "Fine, fine… Do what you want, Miaka. I know I can't do anything to change your mind once it's made up. Stubborn woman." He forced a grin, trying to be his normal joking self. "And, hey, even if you don't come back, I'll be okay. 'Cause then I'll be a bachelor again. Party time."

She kissed her husband's cheek. "Don't worry. I'll come back to you, safe and sound." Miaka stood and faced the rest of the Warriors. "Alright. Let's get Kayura here so I can get out of here. The sooner I leave, the sooner I can return."

Shara hugged the other woman, tears in her eyes. "Thank you, Miaka… I'll owe you for eternity."

"Oh, yeah. You're going to owe me big time."

"Well… let's get this started." Shara stepped back and called out with her mind for Kayura. Each of the Warriors joined her, until the Ancient appeared before them in a flash of gold light.

"She has agreed?"

"You bet I have, lady." Miaka grinned, a dangerous look in her lovely eyes. "Open a Gate and let me through. I'm gonna kick some Dynasty butt."

"You're not 'kicking butt.' You're going for reconnaissance only." Sage gazed at her seriously. "Don't fight anyone. Run if you have to. If you get backed into a corner, then only fight until there is an opening, and then start running again."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm not stupid, Sage." Miaka tossed her hair out of her face. "But I can't guarantee that I won't at least throw a few kicks and punches around. I mean, these are evil guys, right? They deserve a good butt kicking."

"Miaka--"

"I'll be careful, okay? Don't worry."

Kayura raised her staff into the air. "If you're through arguing, I'll open the Gate now." A bright light surrounded the staff, and the golden hoops on the staff rang as they struck one another. Suddenly, a tall red door formed in the center of Cye's living room.

"There. That is you way into the Dynasty realm. Say your goodbyes, Miaka. Once you step through that door, it isn't easy to return." The Ancient handed the woman a small jewel. "When you want to come back, hold this gem tightly and concentrate on this place. I will sense your mind and open the Gate once more."

Miaka tucked the crystal into her pocket and nodded. "Gotcha. Not a problem." She turned and embraced her husband one last time. "I'll be back, hon. Don't you worry." With one last wave to the rest of the Warriors, Miaka stepped through the Gate and both she and the door vanished.

-----------------------------------------------------

Auth or's Notes: I hope nobody minds that I keep inventing members of the Dynasty... I just never could see it as an evil force lead by just one guy. I'm thinking of it as a big organization with all sorts of levels of power. Talpa was just a lower-class fellow. All these other enemies that are appearing are part of the higher levels of the hierarchy. If you don't think that's true... well, I'm sorry. My entire series is based on those ideas. Sooo... Wheee... ^_^ I guess you're all stuck with it. But I would like to hear any opinions on the subject. And I'm going to apologize to those of you who don't like a lot of dialogue... (*kicks 'ranza*) I like talking. I like moving a story along with speaking and speeches. But... I'll try to cut down on it for my next chapter... Though it is physically painful for me to try and do so. I guess need to give it a shot. For my fans. Or for the people I force to read this. Whichever you wanna call them. ^_^