Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Remember Me? ❯ Shattered ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
AN//:Oh, I think life is going to drive me nuts, but that's quite alright. I'm really reworking and working some more on the next few chapters, so they should be coming soon. Though, I do have a wee little dilemma, but I'll get through that, as long as my brain doesn't fry with my finals(which are toast!) hehe. Merry Christmas!


Glass was scattered all about the floor of the dinning room, even more laying about the wooden deck in sharp shards; the large winter frosted windows were nearly destroyed. Ryo stood in shock for less than a minute before he was in action, rushing to the already moving Mia and following her through the new door in her house and out into the cold. He could hear Kento behind him, frantically calling for Mia to slow down. Ryo wasted no time, taking a breath and sprinting to catch the woman who was running after a white blur into the woods.
" Mia !" Ryo yelled as he caught her about the waist, holding on loosely, but enough to keep her from squirming away.
" Let go Ryo! Something's wrong with Blaze, we have to follow him." Mia argued as she somehow wiggled her small frame away from Ryo and sprinted after the faster tiger.
"Wait!" Kento called as he brushed past Ryo and continued after her. "Come on Ryo, we've got to catch them."
Heaving a sigh, Ryo dashed after his old friends. Whatever had prompted the tiger to act this way couldn't have been just a random occurrence; at least he prayed it was a part of what was happening. They had reached a dead end, and all he wanted was this puzzle fitted back together, and now.
They continued their foot race far into the depths of the forest the surrounded the manor, deeper into the woods until there seemed to be no end to the snow blanketed trees. Morning had already begun burning well away into afternoon when they left the house, now sun dappled the ground they walked on. Tired and hungry they could only follow the tracks the great tiger had left behind, sight of him long lost in the weaving of trees and distance. Vaguely, Ryo wondered where they were, and where in the world White Blaze could be leading them to. It had been so long since he had treaded these grounds that were so sacred in his memory. The best times of his boyhood were spent here; with four he would have once called family. That seemed so long ago, and now this place was a mystery he wanted very much to solve again. What he wouldn't give for one day back in those happier times, though he knew one day would never be enough. This was the last place he could remember being truly, uninhibitedly, happy. He had stolen that from himself with one selfish, horrible mistake. Ryo shook his head to clear those thoughts as his chest constricted just at the whisper of memory. He was brought back to his reality rather suddenly by the distinct sound of silence.
"Guys?" His voice echoed around him, bringing his companions up short.
Kento opened his mouth to speak, but Ryo held up a hand to halt him. He and Mia watched worriedly as Ryo cocked his head and appeared to listen for a while, for what they couldn't tell. There was no sound to be heard besides that of strained breathing.
There are no animals." Ryo's voice nearly made both of them jump.
" What? Ryo we can't stop now." Mia took two steps before Ryo caught her arm.
" Listen closely, there's no sound of animals, there's no wind in the branches, there's nothing." Ryo's brow wrinkled in concentration. "I can't even hear Blaze." Worry now pervaded his tone.
Turning from a sad eyed scan of the surrounding wilderness, Kento placed a hand on his once leaders shoulder.
" Ryo, you remember that day?" He knew the man knew which day he meant, he also knew that was a stupid question. " It was like this then too."
" It was?" Ryo's brow wrinkled further as he thought back, pain filling his eyes as he let some memories seep through.
"Yeah, I suppose none of you realized it at the time, you were too busy condemning a boy who refused to fight back." He winced at the harshness of the accusation in his tone, but the pain of that day was coming back to him too.
Ryo locked eyes with his friend for merely a few seconds before breaking away and going into a headlong run up the path.
"Kento?" Mia asked worriedly.
" Maybe you should head back now Mia." He laid a finger on her lips to stop her protest. " Wait for us at home, I can't promise everything will be alright, but this is for us to do. Please Mia."
Mia seemed to fight with her better judgment for a moment; the last time she had let them go, one of them hadn't come back. But she knew she had to trust them. Hugging the tall man fiercely, Mia hurried back down the way she had come.
Kento wasted no time in running after his leader.
There was an electric sense of anticipation in the air as Cye pushed his was past branches and brush. The tittering of the small bird still filled the magical setting of the snowy woods and egged him on further up the overgrown path. He called a couple more times for his companion, but no answer came. His worry and curiosity were warring with his common sense which told him to turn back and head for the road to get help. He found he couldn't, and didn't want to turn away though. A long buried sense was coming back to him and telling him Sage, and a lot more, was up ahead. Not to mention he wasn't so sure that little bird wouldn't peck his eyes out if he turned away.
Go on you little pest. He batted uselessly at the little creature who only flitted agilely away from his hands and scolded him soundly.
Glaring half heartedly at the thing Cye continued quicker through the brush. The trees were thinning out and adrenaline was rushing through him in excitement at what he just knew lay ahead.
Sage? He called out as he stepped free of the wood line, light seeming to engulf him and blinding him momentarily. Are you there?
Shapes and colors slowly returned to normal in front of him, and for another moment he was struck with amazement. Before him lay and endless expanse of open sky the hue of the clearest winter blue he had ever seen. Below that beautiful sight, though it hurt to take his eyes off it, stretched more woodland and fields that continued on from the bottom of the cliff he found himself on. His heart froze as he recognized the scene. After all, it was engraved in his memory. A cold chill stole through him, but instead of the nightmare he had always expected to come with this day and cool calm surrounded him and the area.
So, here we are.
The question in his mind now was what to do about it, and where exactly was Sage? A quick scan of the area revealed no Sages anywhere about.
Sage? Where are you? Irritation crept into his tone, though it was only for the frustrating inability to find the man.
The sound of falling rocks drew him to the edge of the cliff with a horrendous twist of his stomach.
Oh God, Sage?He crouched over the edge, peering down the face of the cliff, and straight into suspended golden locks just off to his right. Relief was quickly replaced by incredulous irritation. Date, what the hell are you doing?
At the question from above him Sage craned his neck back away from the ledge he was clinging on to look up at the inquirer. He gave a smirk at the comment he never would have heard from Cye over a decade ago and turned back to the path he was on.
Just what it looks like, falling off a cliff. He retorted dryly.
Taken aback, Cye quickly shook himself and glared at the man who continued to scale down a narrow ledge that ran almost undetected along the rock wall and wound down a series of ledges to disappear into the tree tops some hundred feet below. Indeed true to his word, Sage slid down an ice covered section of rock, clinging furiously to the handholds he could get.
Get up here you idiot! Cye quickly found himself wanting to drag the man back up as a sudden memory assailed his mind of another time, but same place.
Just wait for me up there. I saw something down there, and I need to know what it is. The voice that spoke was dark with a terrified desire. Cye could hear the need to see, but also the fear of what might be found. He watched him continue his descent with trepidation.
You know, there are easier ways down. A snort answered him.
My patience doesn't extend that far,his voice became colder, and never again will I call on that. You know that.
Cye gave into understanding with a frustrated sigh. None of them had called the armors, their gifts and their condemnation, since the last time they had stood here.
Just don't kill yourself idiot.
Sage's distracted chuckle drifted up to him.
Straightening up, Cye swiveled quickly to the woods as they exploded outwards in a mass of broken branches, dead leaves, snow, and a large white tiger. The air shimmered around him and the world spun as the tiger bounded not past him, but through him without the slightest feel. He turned in rising astonishment to five armored boys standing with him.