Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Isn't Right ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]
A/N: A fic I wrote perhaps three years ago, as a very inexperienced author. It remains one of the fics I'm truly fond of, despite a general un-Japanese feel to the way the characters talk and enough sap to rot your teeth.

<*>

Dais looked at the child in front of him with a helpless feeling in his gut. One thought revolved through his head. /Why me?/ Lady Kayura- or rather, Kayura, since she wouldn't be a lady for several more years- looked up at Dais and grinned, revealing the gap where her two front teeth should be.

"Dais, where are we going?"

He felt a flicker of annoyance. The others got a san after their name. He was merely Dais. He grumbled something about her lack of respect and started walking. Kayura had been living in the Dynasty for a few years. Her memories of her home had been totally erased, but she hadn't been programmed for evil yet. She was prone to mischief, and someone had to watch her almost constantly. That lucky someone happened to be Dais.

"Dais, slow down. My legs aren't as long as yours!"

She ran to catch up with him and tugged on his hand.

"Dais, tell me where we're going!"

"We're walking."

She blinked.

"I know we're walking, where are we walking to? Dais, my legs are tired. Are we almost there?"

He sighed to himself.

"We're going to watch the soldiers train."

Kayura daintily wrinkled her nose.

"Dais, that's boring! I don't want to watch the dumb old soldiers."

/Neither do I,/ he thought. "It's my job to supervise them. If you don't like it, lump it."

"What does that mean?"

He cursed aloud. /Why'd I give her more things to ask about?/

Kayura looked at him.

"You said a bad word."

"So?"

"You're not supposed to say bad words. It's naughty."

"Oh really?"

He was slightly amused by this.

"And who told you that?"

A troubled look crossed her young face.

"I.. don't know. I think someone told me once. But I can't remember who."

One of her lost memories of course. He ignored the feeling of unease as best he could. It would fine once her brainwashing was completed. She'd no longer have the holes that bothered her now. Gruffly, he said, "Let's get going." He'd stopped walking without meaning to, and quickly began moving again.

"Dais! Wait up!"

Kayura wailed, then ran to catch up with him. She caught up with him 50 feet farther along, and latched onto his hand.

"Dais, don't go so fast. I can't keep up and my legs get tired."Later, he didn't know why he did it. Without thinking, he quickly scooped her up and began carrying her towards the training grounds. She clung to his neck and snuggled up against him.

"Come on, I'll carry you," he said unnecessarily.

When they arrived at the training site, they stood on a nearby bridge, Dais leaning nochantly against the side while Kayura ran about, playing and watching the soldiers train. Late that evening, as they were going back to the castle, Kayura peered up at Dais through sleep-heavey eyes.

"Dais? Do you like babysitting me?"

"Of course."

To his surprise, he realized he actually meant it.

"M'kay. I thought maybe you didn't, cuz you seemed mad earlier."

He was carrying her again, and she buried her face in his shoulder.

"I wasn't mad."

/At least, not at you,/ his mind corrected. He quickly wiped that thought out. Master Tulpa would kill him for thinking such things. There was no room for doubt. Of course it was right to take the Ancient's relative and do this to her. It had to be.

~~~

Dais looked away in disgust. Once again, his thoughts questioning this rose, and once again he squashed them. The girl he'd known was gone. With the completion of her brainwashing and the amulet glistening around her neck, Kayura had lost any trace of the girl she'd once been. She'd achieved what she'd been brought here for- pure evil. So why wasn't he glad?/ Of course I'm glad. It just hasn't hit me yet./ He told himself this, and thought he believed it. Late at night, in half-remembered dreams, his true feelings came through. A voice he never remembered while awake, but haunted his sleep, told his true sentiments.

/This isn't right../