Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Midnight Cafe ❯ Midnight Cafe ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I own nothing of Ronin Warriors

The MidNight Café
by; wingsofsakon

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

The floor was damp and the darkness around him. Seemed to be endless, yet made him feel claustrophobic. He closed his eyes so it felt like he had some control over the bright darkness. He laid his cheek to the floor so his sense of touch had something to hang on to.

He didn't know how long he was there. There didn't seem to be a time where night and day met or parted ways. All he knew was this was beginning to take its toll. He began to wonder how much more he could take. He waited to be rescued and waited some more. Yet there was nothing of a sign but stillness. He sighed as a tear ran from his cheek to the floor. In some sort of hope, that it was all just a bad dream looking for daylight. That just wasn't there.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It had been a long time since they parted their ways. Every one had gone their own way. At the time it was off to college. Down the road things just floated away. It was Ryo who found every one and got them together again. It once again felt like every thing was right. They were all in the comfort of each other. That was except for one missing Ronin. Again it was Ryo. Who decided it was time to go looking for him. Although, when it came right down to it. They each had a job to hold down or studies to pursue. All except for one: that had just taken a three-week vacation.

He lit up another cigarette. Exhaling and resting his hand back on the table. He sat back in his seat and looked around the dimly lit 'Midnight Café'. It didn't seem too busy. A few people here or there. Soft talking from the corners and middle of the room. With the jukebox singing some sort of sleek saxophone tune. That wasn't too loud or soft. He could get used to a place like this.

Even though he never thought he would be in a place like that. Time had certainly changed them all in some way: some for the better and others not so much. Either way they were still the same, he couldn't deny that. It all made sense and he wasn't going to argue about it. He smiled as a waitress approached him.

"Hello, is there anything I can get you?" She asked with a bright smile.

"Actually, I'm looking for some one. Have you seen this person?" Sage asked as he pulled a picture from his inside pocket and showed her.

The girl looked at it for a long moment and hesitated to answer.

"I can't say I have, although, we get a lot of people in here. Maybe you might want to check back later. Is there any thing else I might be able to help you with?"

"No thank you." He said as showed her his drink.

He watched as the waitress vanished from the floor. Then looked to the photo in his hand. He felt some resentment as he realized what he left behind to look for him.

It took one year to persuade his archer to become his. He spent another year with him. Now, just when he planned on trying to patch things up. He was sent on this search.

He felt it was his own decision for not coming back when Ryo sent him the letters. That if he really wanted to rejoin the group… he would have come back. Although, when Ryo sent out the letter and the following ones. There was never an answer or returned letter. So, either he just ignored them or… something.

Whatever the reason it messed up his plans. It also wasted a three-week vacation he had been putting aside. He just wanted to find him and get back home. He looked at the picture and huffed as if looking at something pathetic.

"Geek, you never had any style." He scuffed as he took another drink.

Then seen the waitress making her way back towards him. He watched as she made herself at home in the seat across from him. He didn't know what she was up to.

"Can I see that picture again?" She asked as she leaned over the table.

"Of course." Sage replied as he handed it to her.

She took it in hand then gave it back to him. She looked around the café before she answered.

"I have seen him." She said licking her lips. "He comes here quite a bit, although, I recommend staying away from that guy. Are you sure… you want to find him?"

"Why not? He's harmless." Sage said leaning back in his chair putting away the picture.

"You are new around here huh? Don't you know anything about this guy?"

"What is there to know."

"I guess you are right about him being harmless. He's normally pretty quiet. It's who's he's dating you have to be careful around. I still say you're better off staying away."

"Why is that? What has he gotten into now?"

"His lover works at this place and isn't the nicest person around. Not to mention he treats every one like crap. I heard he isn't very nice to him either."

"I thought you said they were lovers?"

"They are."

"When can I find him?"

"Who?"

"The guy I'm looking for."

"Oh, he's in back right now. If you come with me I'll show you." She said getting up.

Sage stood up and followed her through the café. To where the back hallway started until she stopped him there.

"Wait here this shouldn't take long." She said pulling a curtain closed as she left.

Sage waited until his feet grew tired. Then found a chair that was close to where he was standing. His patience was growing thin. When the curtain opened and a more than slender body slid out.

"I knew who she was talking about, but didn't believe it." The pale figure chuckled.

"Cye, what's going on?" Sage said standing up to meet him face to face.

"What do you mean?"

"We've been writing you. Are you ignoring Ryo? What's going on?"

"I've been busy. Is that why you're here?"

"Yes, Ryo sent me to bring you back."

"So… he didn't want to come himself. You're wasting your time, Sage. I can't leave."

"Why not? You think you're better than us?" Sage nearly bit his lip when the words fell out.

"I just… can't. I've tried, Sage. Believe me."

Sage could feel the words tugging at him. Looking at his friend so frail and even a bit shaky.

"Sure, I do. Haven't you been taking care of yourself?"

"The best I can. How is every one?"

"Doing fine. Listen I know you and Ryo are close, but he has a job to hold down. He couldn't just up and leave. I came because I was on vacation. Come back with me, Cye."

"I told you I can't." Cye said getting irritated.

"Then tell me why? I had plans for this vacation. Don't tell me this is all for nothing."

"You had… plans. I guess he was right about you then. Go home." Cye said walking away.

"No… no you don't. Don't you dare walk away from me." Sage said grabbing his arm. "You guess who is right about us? Is that guy holding you back or something? Tell me."

"I didn't believe him at first. He said you didn't care about me. He said if you did. Then why did you let me go in the first place? You just put up with me the whole time, didn't you? You never cared. Never a phone call, cards or letter. Except for the call to come home in those letters. I didn't even read them. When they came in I found them in the garbage. You're too late, Sage. You're wasting your time." Cye said jerking his arm away from the stunned blond.

"If you didn't read them… how do you know what they said? How can you say that after every thing we went through together? We never put up with anything. We wanted you around."

"You can let go of me." Cye said calmly.

Sage noticed he had been still holding his arm. He was surprised he wasn't hurting him. For how hard he was grasping him. He could see that his knuckles had gone white. Then he realized that Cye was cold. He could feel it through his shirt. Cye was never one for the cold. Why wasn't he wearing an extra shirt? When he looked back at him. He could see small beads of sweat forming on his forehead and hairline.

"Are you sick? Is that what's going on?"

"What if I was? You know it wouldn't matter."

"Yes, it would. We would want you with us if you were. Come home so we can take care of you right. What ever this guy has isn't worth it."

"So now I'm mooching or something. I don't do that. Leave me alone and go home."

"Then what's keeping you here? You obviously aren't well. Are there better doctors here? You truly can't believe we don't care, Cye."

"I said you're wasting your time trying to get me to come home."

"He's warped your mind hasn't he. He filled your head with these thoughts and beliefs. So, now you feel like your obligated to stay and be his free for all." Sage said as he followed him outside.

"They're closing up. I hope you have everything."

"Stop ignoring me."

"What were your plans that I interrupted?"

"Cye."

"What were they?"

"Rowen and I broke up… I wanted to try and patch things up. Although, after thinking about it. Maybe it's better we stayed apart for a while."

"Why is that?"

"We need to find our own ways first. Plus there's the fact he's seeing some one else."

"Ah… when you go back. Tell every one hello for me and I miss them."

"No, do it yourself."

"I ask for one thing and noooo"

"Cye, at least tell me this much. Does this guy have some thing to with you not coming home?"

"Yes, I love him."

"How can you love some one that tells you things like that about us? What do you see in him?"

"He makes me happy. I feel wanted and he said I was beautiful. Besides, he was telling me truth."

"Listen, now I'm going to tell you the truth. Have I ever lied to you before?"

Cye stopped kicking the wall and looked at him. "No."

"Think hard now… didn't we ever make you happy? Didn't we ever make you feel wanted?"

"Of course, you're my friend." Cye said folding his arms.

"There's only one thing I believe about what he's told you. You are beautiful."

"Sure now you say that. You're just trying to get me back home."

"Yes and no. I always thought you were beautiful."

"Now you're lying, Sage. You said I was a geek and had no style." Cye said with a giggle.

It was good to hear his laugh. Even if it was in this manner. His smile always brightened up a room. On any given day it could also make a day brighter.

"That's part of what makes you who you are. I'm not lying, Cye." He said as he watched him try to get some linen off of his shirt. That's when he noticed how he was dressed. He was wearing a thin cotton sweatshirt with black jeans. They complimented him perfectly and made his eyes shine. "Why are you dressed up today?"

"It's our anniversary today. I wanted to look nice for him."

"Cye, I'm happy you're happy, although, we really miss you at home. I don't want to ask you to leave him if he means this much to you." Sage said feeling his heart get heavier.

"I would have come home if you would have come sooner. Although, it feels too late for any thing now." Cye said as his voice got softer. "I would be happier at home though."

"Then… "

"Don't ask again… please."

Sage could see tears starting to form in his eyes before he turned his back.

"Why is it too late?" He asked softer.

"Things happen and time goes on. I missed my chance, Sage. I made the decision to stay and that's that. Perhaps it's better this way anyway. Now I won't get in any ones way."

Sage could hear he was trying to hide sobs. Instinctively he grabbed him by the shoulders and spun him around. He couldn't hide his tears now. They were streaming down his face and making his eyes sparkle. He was shaking and he could feel he was getting colder.

"Stop saying that! We need you around. Nothing is better than having you around. You were never in our way, Cye. No matter what any body says you're part of the group we call family. We love you and that's all there is to it. He lied to you, Cye! You're my friend and I won't lie to you. You're wanted and you are beautiful… we need you. I've come for you and it's time to come home."

"… I trusted him." Cye said attaching himself to Sage's chest. "I trusted him, Sage. I gave him everything. I gave everything. Why… why didn't you ever say those things to me before?"

The swordsman held him tight. He wasn't sure how to handle a crying and broken Cye.

"That's all I ever wanted to hear." A faint voice said.

"I didn't think I had to tell you that I loved you." He confessed with hesitation.

He could feel the cool arms tighten around him.

"Please, will you come home?"

"I can't right now… later. I promise." Cye said letting go and walked into the café.

Sage stood there and watched the door close as he slipped away.

He took his word on it and went home.

===============================================================

Getting in the house. He saw every one in the kitchen waiting for him. They were quiet as he walked in to report what Cye told him.

"I'm sorry, Sage. I really didn't mean to send you out there for nothing." Ryo said sincerely.

"It wasn't for nothing, Ryo. He said he'd be home later. Although he doesn't look so good."

"Sage, what are you talking about?" Kento said leaning against the counter.

"He looks sick or something."

"No, I mean this… " Ryo said handing the paper to him.

"Looks like we were a week too late. I never thought that… " Rowen choked on the lump in his throat before he could finish.

"They never caught the bastard who did it." Kento snarled.

Sage fell to his seat as he skimmed the paper.

"They left him to die in the basement. Although, it says he died of a fever." Ryo said getting angry.

"It says they actually found two bodies there… one being Cye." Rowen added.

"This can't be right… why is this just now coming out?" Sage said looking at the date.

"Mia mailed it to us. I guess she couldn't get it out sooner."

"No, I was just talking to him. He smiled and promised to come home."

"Sorry… but… we have to go and pick him up. We figured we'd bury him here." Rowen said.

"But he promised me." Sage said in disbelief.

Ryo got up to leave but stopped and put his hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sure he did."