Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Past Memories ❯ Past Memories ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
He really didn't want to get up. He was afraid of all the pain he would face. At least this way he wouldn't have to feel the pain. Distantly he heard voices. Where was he? Were these voices real? Or was he imagining them. These voices didn't sound familiar at all. Then again who was he? That was another good reason to stay in this black world. The voices kept pulling him forward. Reluctantly he opened his eyes.

A bright light flooded his vision, causing him to blink. When he finally did manage to focus he found that there people near him. The voices he heard weren't ones that he had imagined. There was an elderly couple, a young woman and a young boy standing near him. "Good evening," the elderly lady greeted with a warm smile. "You certainly gave us a scare."

He looked around trying to figure out where he was. Nothing looked familiar. Off in the distance a sea gull cried and barely audible he could hear the roaring ocean as it crashed against the shore. He was some where by a beach. The room he in was small. There was one window, in which the curtains were pulled shut, a dresser, and the bed that he was lying in. Along the walls were pictures of someone's artwork.

"Where am I?" he finally asked, his voice cracking.

"You are in safe hands, which is all you need to know," the elderly man stated, his green eyes twinkling with merriment.

"Please forgive our manners," the young woman greeted. "My name is Serena. My little brother is Michel, and my grandmother and grandfather are Maria and Cirrus."

He smiled, although he was confused. "I wish I knew who I was. I know nothing of how I came here."

"We found you on the shoreline half submerged in water. You had a trident in your hands..." Maria answered. "You were barely alive when we found you. That was a month ago."

"A month?" he replied in a surprised voice.

"Just be thankful you are ok. I suggest you get some rest," Maria insisted as she ushered the rest of the family out of the room.

Rest? How could he sleep now? He was just asleep for a month... There was so much he wanted to know. What bothered him the most was the fact he had no clue who he was. Hesitantly he sat up and slowly climbed out of bed. Immediately the world began to spin. Quickly he reached over and grabbed hold of a bedpost. Once the spinning stopped he tried again to move forward.

Slowly he made it to the dresser where a small mirror was propped up. Facing him was a young man maybe in his late teens. Sea blue eyes looked at him with confusion. Shoulder length brown hair framed his face. A deep scar hid under his bangs. He had a feeling that it was something new. Who was he? This reflection didn't help at all. Angrily he stared back at it.

Frustrated he made his way back to his bed. He sat down bringing his knees up to his chest. He tried to think of who he could be. The door opened and the young woman, Serene, he believed stepped in. She carried a tray of food with her. She smiled.

"I had a feeling that you were still be up. You're probably famished."

At the sight of the food and the smell of fresh baked bread, his stomach growled. "I guess that answers your question."

Serena laughed. "You're British."

"What was that about?" he asked.

"You accent. It's British. Not common down here."

"Where is here?" he asked as he slowly ate the food on the tray.

"I'm sorry, but my grandfather forbids me to tell you. I wish I understand his reasoning behind this, but the only thing I can say is that we are by an ocean. My grandfather is a fisherman."

"How about this trident that I had when you found me?"

"We don't know. That puzzled us. A trident is such a rare weapon."

"Could I see this trident? Maybe it will help me figure out who I am."

"That is locked up. My grandparents don't approve of such weapons. They believe in peace and don't like fighting. You are a rather questioning young man."

"I'm sorry. I guess I should be grateful that I'm alive; it's just that I want to know who I am. There is so much I want to know."

Serena nodded her head in agreement. "I realize it must be hard on you. But in time I am sure you will find out. But since we don't know you're name, we should give you a name. My grandparents were thinking of Triton."

"Triton? The king of the merpeople?"

"It's only appropriate. We found you in the ocean with a trident. The very weapon of Triton himself. "

"You believe in such a legend?"

"You must have at one point if you recognized where the name came from it," Serena commented. "Besides any one who loves the sea should know about the merpeople."

He laughed. "So Triton?"

"It seems to be fitting that is until we find out your real name."

"Then Triton it is. I never realized how good it is to have a name."

"Now that you're finished eating, I suggest you rest this time. Maybe tomorrow if you're strong enough my brother and I can show you around."

"That would be great."

*****

As the sun began to rise the next morning Triton found that he could sleep no longer. Quietly he slipped out of his room and made his way out of the house in to the outdoors. He had to go only a few feet to step onto the beach. The sand was cool to his bare feet. He could still see a few stars twinkling while the rest of the sky had a rosy tint.

A breeze blew sending his hair in every direction. The cool breeze felt good. Triton smiled. He took his time walking along the shoreline. He was already beginning to feel exhausted after taking a few steps. He sat down and watched the waves crash against the shore and the sea gulls flying above.

"It's so peaceful just sitting here watching the ocean," Serena greeted as she sat down next to him.

"It calms my soul," Triton commented.

"Same here. I had a feeling that you would be here, when I couldn't find you in your room. Breakfast is ready and then afterwards we're going out. It's going to be a family outing anyway so it turns out."

"Sure thing," Triton replied and stood up with the help of Serena.

For a small fishing village the streets were full of people coming and going. A lot of the people seemed to be fishermen. Others looked like visitors. It was more of Michel who led Triton about. The young boy seemed to be excited with showing people around the small village.

"Easy, Michel, we have all day. Don't forget that he is still not strong enough," Serena chided.

"No, I'm perfectly fine," Triton, replied as he laughed.

A cold wave seeped over him. Quickly, Serena reached over to support him. "That's what I thought."

Triton continued to shake as blurry images filled his mind. Serena was wrong. He was just fine a second ago until someone passed him. He was about his age; Triton assumed and was eating a hamburger. The guy was wearing a loud orange shirt and a headband kept his bluish black hair out of his face.

"Cye?" the guy hesitantly greeted as he eagerly studied Triton's face. His eyes widened. "It is you! Cye!"

"Are you talking to me?" Triton replied, puzzled by the entire event.

"Come on, Cye, quit playing around. The guys will be happy to know that you're ok. We've been looking for you everywhere!" the guy continued to babble. It was sort of hard to pick out what he was saying considering at the same time he was busy eating the hamburger. Strangely enough Triton could understand word for word. "Just wait here and I'll go and get them. They're down by the shore." Happily he ran off.

"Let's go look for my grandparents. I think it's best we call it a day," Serena stated, a frown upon her face.

"But, I'm fine," Triton persisted. "I want to know who those guys are."

"It could be some kind of trick. I don't trust them one bit," Serena firmly stated.

"But that one guy seemed really happy," Michel chimed in.

"You know grandfather wouldn't approve of this," Serena replied and dragging Michel and half leading Triton she headed down a different street.

Triton sighed. There was something about that guy. He knew him at one point. He was sure of it. The guy had called him Cye. Was his name Cye? Triton shivered, despite the fact that it was a warm day. He was still weak from earlier, but he wasn't about to say a thing. It was bad enough that Serena took this as a bad omen. Did they know something about him that he didn't? That question brought more unanswered thoughts.

Triton stood near by with Michel as Serena explained to her grandparents about the earlier incident. He watched their surprised and worried expressions. Cirrus seemed more concerned about this then any of them.

"Do you think that your theory could be right?" Serena questioned.

"I don't know. After all it was just a legend. When the darkness comes five people will come to aide the world," Cirrus muttered. "That trident... One was known as Torrent."

Triton listened. They spoke in whispers, in which he could barely hear them.

"I wish we didn't have to go. Why does Serena have to spoil everything?" Michel whined as he kicked a small stone near by.

"I'm sure she means the best."

"I know, but we were having fun."

"We can have some fun at the beach."

"Yeah, that's right!" Michel replied as his face lit up with a smile.

Triton sat in his room as he listened to the storm rage outside. The sun had set a while ago as it brought in the storm. The rain continued to drum against the roof of the house

*****

"Kento, watch out!" he shouted. You big fool, you're going to get hurt by challenging him! Who was the big fool? He thought as he ran toward Kento as a big ball of energy was being released. A blurry figure stood behind the ball of energy. The figure continued to laugh.

Triton sat up in, his forehead covered in sweat. What was this all about? This had to be something from his past. The name, Kento seemed so familiar. Was this Kento the person he met earlier? He massaged his forehead as he tried to think.

Days slowly turned into weeks as Triton continued to stay with the family of the sea. For Triton it was as if he was always a part of the family. The only problem was that he had a fear of water. At the same time he loved the water. Each time he tried to approach the water he froze. A black void would fill his heart.

"What's wrong with me?" Triton shouted in frustration as he stood by the ocean.

"You'll face your fear," Serena replied as she stood by him. "This has to be a link to your past."

"I figured that much. I also know you guys are holding back something that I need to know," Triton stated as he turned his attention to her.

"What are you talking about? We have told you everything that we felt you needed to know."

"Exactly, what you felt I needed to know. Tell me what you haven't told me."

"The person you want to talk to would be my grandfather. He is the one who makes the decisions. You got to understand the reason why we are doing this is to keep you safe," Serena replied softly.

"Safe from me?"

"No, from what ever had harmed you. What ever brought you to us. My grandparents see you as their son. Long ago the sea took him. Then the sea gave you to them. You remind them so much of their son, my father."

"Your father?"

"Yes, my father died a few years back in a storm. Since my father's death, my brother and I have come to live with our grandparents."

"I'm sorry."

"It's ok. I felt it was necessary that you finally knew."

Triton nodded, his sea blue eyes full of sympathy.

*****

Darkness had fallen when Triton finally decided to approach Cirrus. Cirrus sat in his chair reading a book. Quiet music was playing in the small radio next to him. Cirrus looked up as Triton sat down in a chair opposite of him. "I was wondering when you were going to approach me," Cirrus greeted as he slowly put down his book. "Maria, go and get me the trident."

Triton didn't notice that Maria was standing by the doorway. He watched her as she went down the hallway and returned a few minutes with the trident in her hands. She frowned as she looked at it and sorrow was in her eyes.

Cirrus then took the trident. "We believe that you are a Ronin Warrior. We think that you maybe one of the five Ronin Warriors that were sent to stop the Dynasty. It was said that after they had defeated the Dynasty the Ronin Warriors were never seen again. Now there are rumors going around saying that they are back and a new evil has plague the world.

That young man you met on the day of our outing could be possibly another Ronin Warrior. We should have let you continue to talk to him, but our selfishness got the better of us. We didn't want to loose you. We were afraid that maybe you would never return again or you could have been killed." Reluctantly Cirrus handed Triton the trident.

"Hopefully this will help you recover your memory," Maria whispered as she gave him a quick hug.

Triton stared at the trident that he was holding in his hands. Strangely it felt comforting to hold this weapon. Suddenly a light, blue light began to glow around him. He looked at Cirrus and Maria, as he tried to understand what was going on.

At some point rain had begun to fall. Thunder ripped through the dark sky as lightening lit up the dark night. Images quickly flashed in his mind, people that he knew, people he remembered. "My name isn't Triton, it's Cye. I'm Cye of the Torrent," Cye suddenly stated.

"Then it is your duty to go and find the rest of your group and help them out. I am sure they will need your help," Cirrus whispered. "We can't hold you back any longer."

"Then you can forget about us and act as if you never knew us," Serena bitterly stated as she stormed off. Cye blinked. He never realized that Serena had been hiding in the shadows.

"Serena, wait. What ever gave you that idea?" Cye called after her as he chased her out into the pouring rain.

"Why would a warrior like you stay in a family that refuses to fight?" Serena questioned with tears streaming down her eyes.

"Who says I like to fight? I just finally got my memory back; you don't know one thing about me. You can't go and judge who I am, just because you think I'm some warrior. I hate fighting. I have to fight if we all want peace. Plus, my friends are counting on me."

"You'll come back? You're not just going to leave us?"

"Why should I? You and your family saved my life. You're like a family to me. You help remind me of why I am fighting."

Serena ran over and embraced him. "Just promise me you'll come back. I don't want to loose another person."

"I will, Serena, you can count on it," Cye stated as he returned the hug. He then wiped away her tears. He never noticed before how cold her cheeks felt to his fingers, or how pale she seemed. It puzzled him a bit, but he was more concerned of finding his friends at the moment to let it worry him.


*****

Hesitantly Cye turned around and walked off into the darkness. He didn't have to go much further as he entered to what looked like a winter wonderland. Everything was either coated in snow or ice. There were also sounds of battle going on. It was so dark... If it weren't for the light that Sage was giving off he would have never found them.

Quickly Cye called his armor as he charged toward them. Cye easily spotted their foe, known as Ranswolve. The warlord was dressed all in black with a flowing cape that flapped in the raging wind. A scar ran across his forehead. His brown eyes blazed with hatred. Ranswolve held Kento in his gloved hands and tossed him like a rag doll. Cye watched as Kento fell and slid across the ice, unconscious.

"Super wave smasher!" Cye angrily bellowed as he aimed his trident toward Ranswolve. A blast of water shot toward the warlord striking him down. Ranswolve looked surprised as he picked himself up.

"Alright, Cye, nice to see you pack in action!" Ryo greeted cheerfully.

"Sorry, I'm late. I was a little lost for a while," Cye replied.

"Well, I see the Torrent is back," Ranswolve greeted with a cold smile. "I'm afraid though that you came in time to see you friends DIE!" Laughing, Ranswolve brought his hands up into the air and as he brought them down lightening showered from the sky striking the ground. His brown eyes blazed with a white glow.

As best they could the Ronin Warriors tried to dodge the lightening. Cye concentrated on protecting his unconscious friend. It seemed like an eternity before the lightening finally stopped. "Is that the best you can do?" Cye challenged.

Ranswolve smirked. "So you want a challenge?"

"Super wave smasher!" Cye replied as he pointed the trident toward him.

Gracefully the warlord jumped into the air and landed with a summersault, dodging the entire attack. "You were just lucky the first time, boy. Your puny attacks don't do a thing to the armor that Talpa granted me." Ranswolve then cupped his hands together. As he opened them a ball of energy came toward Cye. Unable to dodge the attack, it struck Cye and held him in the air. Cye found that he was unable to move.

Cye could see that Kento was finally waking up. He watched as he his friend stood back up shaking his head.

"Now you made me really mad," Kento stated as he trembled with anger. "Iron rock crusher!" The ground shook and the ice splintered as the earth was pulled up and hurtled toward Ranswolve. At the same time the rest of the Ronin Warriors called upon their attacks each of them aiming at the warlord.

Cye fell to the ground as Ranswolve's concentration broke. Immediately Cye joined in.

"Noooo!" Ranswolve screamed as an explosion lit up the sky.

*****

Once the smoke cleared, Cye saw that there where the warlord was only a deep hole was and around it and the ground was charred. "Do you think he is gone?"

Sage shook his head no. "Far from it. We just slowed him down. He'll be back, unfortunately. By using our powers together we just managed to weaken him."

"So Talpa is back. I was hoping that it was just a rumor," Ryo replied in a sad tone. Solemnly Sage shook his head in agreement.

"Speaking of which what happened with you? Kento said he saw you back in the old village," Rowen questioned.

"So then he was Kento!" Cye replied happily.

"You mean you didn't know me?" Kento questioned with a puzzled expression.

"A family had found me somewhere along the shoreline. A the time I had no memory of who I was or what had happened. They helped me retrieve my memory," Cye explained.

"There are people still living in this place?" Sage questioned his eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, down by the beach. Why?" Cye replied, confused.

"This village has been abandoned for over a hundred years. No one knows why the place was abandoned, but people try to stay as far away from this place as possible. They say this entire area is haunted," Sage explained.

Cye's eyes widened in surprise. "But that can't be true. There was a family living by the shore. If it weren't for them I wouldn't be here."

"This certainly does make it interesting," Rowen commented, his hand cupping his chin as he thought about what Cye had said.

"So you're telling me that ghosts were helping me?"

"A possibility," Sage replied.

"I'm going to have to see this for myself," Cye replied and walked off.

"Want me to come with you, buddy?" Kento asked as he jogged alongside his friend.

"Sorry, Kento. I need to see this for myself. Don't worry, I'll be back."

Reluctantly Kento nodded and trailed off.

All around him the ice and snow was melting. Cye could once again hear the waves crash against the shoreline. As the sun was setting the orange light was like a prism was it sparkled among the water and melting ice. Cye eventually saw that Sage was right. The house he had seen before were nothing but rotting skeletons of houses.

"How can this be?" Cye questioned himself. "It was so real."

"Just because the place is haunted doesn't mean the place is evil," Rowen commented. "I'm sorry, I just wanted to check this place out."

"Or do you think this could have been all an illusion?" Cye asked.

"I doubt it. Take a look at your clothes. Your clothing was the style worn by the people whom had lived here long ago," Rowen pointed out.

Cye's eyes widened. "I never realized that. By why would spirits want to help me?"

"There could be many reasons. Maybe they saw that you were trying to help save the world and they didn't want to witness what happened to their home happen to others."

"Maybe. All I want to do right now is head home," Cye commented.

Rowen laughed. "I'm just glad to see you back and that you're ok. You should have seen Kento. The poor guy was rather depressed that past few days. When he came back saying he found you we could hardly make out word he was saying because he was talking so fast. We followed him to this place, but we couldn't find you. That's when I figured out what this place was."

"Not so fast, Ronin brats," a familiar voice greeted.

Cye froze to the spot. He recognized the voice immediately. The voice could only belong to Sekhmet. "What do you want with us? Aren't you supposed to be rallying forces in your own world?"

Sekhmet then stepped out of the shadows. The pale moonlight illuminated his sinister face. As his snake like eyes glittered in the light.

"Oh don't worry we are, Torrent. More important matters have brought me here."

"And you why are you telling us?" Rowen challenged.

"We know information dealing with Ranswolve."

"Scum would know scum," Cye commented.

"I'll take that as a compliment. I could easily just go back to and not even tell you at all."

"Fine you have our attention," Rowen replied.

"Ranswolve was once our apprentice, back when we followed Talpa. Ranswolve was supposed to be Talpa's secret weapon against you guys until we changed things around on him. Our apprentice was given all our armor including his own powers, which is the control of the elements around him."

"So basically we're cleaning up your mess?" Cye questioned.

"Watch it, Torrent, you're lucky that boy didn't kill you. I've seen him kill people just for fun. Ranswolve was only playing around."

"Yet, we managed to do some major damage to him," Rowen pointed out.

"Only because he got cocky. You might want to use that to your advantage," the warlord suggested before he vanished before their eyes.

"Wonderful," Cye commented.

"Looks like we better inform the guys," Rowen stated. Silently Cye and Rowen headed back to the group.

In the distance a figure of a young woman stood watching. She held up her hand and waved. "Good bye, Cye of the Torrent. Make sure that you and your friends keep our world safe."

*****

Disclaimer: I don't own Ronin Warriors.