Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ The Strangest Dreams Can Come True ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
This is something I wrote waaaaaaaay back in 1998. I found it sitting in my hard drive and decided to give it an overhaul.


//thoughts//
~*~*~*~*~*~ = scene change
**poem lines**


The Strangest Dreams Come True


"Good day, class. Seeing as tomorrow is the start of spring break, and I don't want to just have to grade more papers immediately coming back, I thought we could do something more enjoyable than the norm. I think it would be amusing if everybody wrote a poem. Nothing fancy, or overly long. It doesn't even have to make sense if you think it can bring a few smiles or sounds of awe, or whatever you're striving for. And yes this does mean you're reading it out in front of the class. So, stop dawdling and get writing."

"Hey, Shu, what's the matter?"
"I can't write a poem! I suck at stuff like this!"
"It shouldn't be that hard. She said it doesn't even have to make sense! Even you can do that. Just write, 'See dog. See dog run. See dog get hit by car'."
"My, Junji, how original."
"Don't patronize me! At least it's something!"
"Yeah, yeah."
"Look, just write the first thing that comes to mind. You'd be surprise what you can come up with."
"Yeah, sure." //Just write the first thing that comes to mind he says!//


Shu Lay Fang
Poem
9th period English
April 4th, 1987

Untitled


//Hmmm...maybe I'll write something about that dream I've been having for the last, what? Three months?//

~*~*~*~*~*~

A hand clad in orange and white armor gently digs into the barren soil beneath pale red lighting. The hand is snatched back in a sudden burst of pain.

"The soil is dying, Milord Kongo."
"I can see that." //Why isn't Suiko doing his job?// "Where's Suiko located?"
"Your predecessor never saw it necessary to discover where the other Gods reside, Milord."
"None of them?"
"Well...he did have a run in with Rekka, I believe he even kept her coordinates. Maybe you can ask the Fire God where the Water God lives."
"I'll do that."

//If I don't get some water here soon it's Rekka who's going to be paying the unexpected visit, and by no later than early morning by the feel of things. And that's if I'm really lucky.// He straightens out the yellow-orange headband used to keep back his ash-blue locks of hair. //I really don't want to handle my first Firestorm just now.// He looks to the sky. A single shining figure is dominant in the black velvet of the heavens. //Figures it's a Red Moon tonight.//


**On the Red Moon will come the Firestorm...**


"Kongo Busou!" The Earth herself appears to tremble at Kongo's words. Orange energy cascades about him in a fury, wrapping around his every body part. The power climaxes and explodes into hundreds of cherry blossoms, leaving a new and more powerful armor decorated with spikes and horns over the old body armor. Grasping a handful of the blossoms in each hand a helmet and a tetsubo with naginata blade forms. He places the helmet on. In a final flash of intense light, the magical display ends. The earth beneath his feet opens.

Kongo reappears in a cave-like structure filled with lava pools and fire spouts. //This looks like the place.// "Excuse me! Rekka! Are you in? Yo!" The lava pool closes to him bubbles. A figure emerges from its depths.
"I'm guessing you're the new Kongo." The Fire God removes his helmet to allow a mane of black hair to swing free and to revel stunning tiger-blue eyes. "Hi, I'm the new Rekka." He performs a respectful bow. Kongo returns it.
"Nice to meet you too. I was wondering if you knew where I could find Suiko. My predecessor didn't leave me much of anything."
"This wouldn't have to do with that bout of land not getting any water would it?"
"You could say that."
"Wish I could tell you where merboy is but my predecessor didn't leave me much either."
"Dang!"
"But, I do know where Tenku the Wind God is. He's supposed to be the most knowledgeable of us all. He has got to know."
"Thanks! ...Ah, Rekka do you think..."
"Yeah I can hold off. But I'm pretty fired up." A fireball blinks into existence in his red armored hand. "I'm going to have to do something about the extra fire build."
"I passed Gaea on my way in. She said some forest needed a good fire to get the plants to sprout their seeds or something."
"Thanks, I'll ask her about it. These are the coordinates for Tenku." Rekka places a fingertip on the center of Kongo's forehead. A bit of red light transfers over to him. "You're going to have to hurry though, I can only hold back so long. Then I'll be forced to do it whether I want to or not. By that point it'll be an inferno."
"I know, we all have our limits. I'll be going now, see ya!"
"Bye!" Once again Kongo is swallowed into the bowels of the Earth.


**To Quench the Inferno...**


Kongo stares into the firmament, particularly at a mass of clouds surrounding an especially large cloud called a dragon nest. //Now how am I going to get up there?// He picks up a rock, it begins to shake like jell-o as an orange aura surrounds it. //Discus.// Obeying the silent command the stone takes on the new form. "Here we go!" With a mighty heave he chucks the discus into the almighty dragon nest.

Night blue eyes blink away at the sight of something orange flying through his territory. A dark blue and white armor clad hand catches it. The youth studies it for a moment. //Must be the new Kongo.// He opens a hole in the cloud and hops down. "Salutations, Kongo."
"Oh hi! Sorry about the rock. I wasn't sure on how to get your attention."
"Perfectly fine. I presume your query is regarding the lack of water to a certain plot of terra firma?" Kongo takes a moment to understand all that.
"Uh, oh yeah! How did you know?"
"The air is somewhat...oh, it's downright dry. Require Suiko's location?"
"Yeah." Tenku places his fingertip between Kongo's brows. Dark blue light transfers.
"Thanks, man."
"You are most welcome. Please come visit. Simply call me out, I will hear."
"Sure." In a whisk of wind Tenku returns to his estate. "Cool. I wanna do that."


**He must seek remedy in the Wind...**


Kongo reforms by a gigantic, undiscovered waterfall that empties directly out into the ocean, giving the immediate area a rare natural mixture of fresh and saltwater. "Suiko! You home?" With a loud splash a small body clothed in light blue armor, with yari in hand, lands on the bank next to him.
"Yeah I'm here!" he answers cheerfully. "You're Kongo right?"
"Yeaahhh..." //How old is this guy?//
"I'm older than I look."
"Huh? Was it that obvious?"
"Don't worry, I got it a lot when I was human. I kinda expected it still when I was suddenly promoted in the world."
"Oh." //He's cool.// "Well this large space of land isn't getting any water. It doesn't normally get a lot of rainfall because of the river ways placed there."
"That's strange, I didn't change any river courses. Could you show me exactly where?"

A few square feet of land reforms into a geographical map. "This quadrant here." The Earth God outlines the problem area. Suiko then adds his own powers to make the waterways apparent.
"Hmmm, the river is still moving in the right direction. Huh? What's this?" They enlarge a small area. "Looks like something is blocking the main river which feeds both the above and underground waterways."
"Can you tell what it is?"
"I'll try." Dipping a hand in the water, a light blue glow soon envelops everything. "It seems to be a giant boulder."
"A boulder? I haven't moved anything."
"I think the humans of the area moved it to try and divert the watercourse. Poorly I might add. Can you move it?"
"No, I didn't put it there in the first place, I can't even feel it. In fact, I won't be able to feel for quite a while. I could move it then, but that would be too late."
"The water pressure isn't enough to move a rock that big so...you'll just have to ask another God for help."
"Who do you have in mind?"
"I believe the Lightning God Korin could solve your problem rather nicely."
"Korin? Uh, could you give me the coordinates?"
"Of course!" Performing the same task as the previous Gods, Suiko transfers the needed information to Kongo. "You best hurry now, you don't want Rekka burning it up."
"`K! See ya!"


**Lightning will find him on that path...**


Kongo emerges near the peak of a mountain so high that the very top is covered by a storm cloud. "Korin! I need to seek audience with you!" Slivers of light outline a door before it opens.
"If it pleases you, please come in." He steps out of the darkness and into a world of stunning radiance. In the heart of it he can make out a dashing blond with lavender eyes, one of which is partially covered by a wild lock of silky hair, wearing a white and forest green sub-armor.

"Wow, it's...bright."
"So I've noticed," he replies with a smile. "You're the new Kongo, correct?"
"Yeah. This is probably going to sound really rude but I really need a favor."
"Quite all right. It isn't your fault none of our predecessors seemed to have care about anything but themselves, leaving us nothing but trouble."
"Whew! Thanks! That takes a load off! Uh, some humans moved a really big rock in the way of a major river and I can't move it yet and Suiko can't get the pressure needed. If it doesn't get moved or something soon a whole lot of land and everything on it is gonna die."
"Good Lord! We can't let that happen! I'll be glad to get rid of it."
"Major thank yous again."
"One thing though."
"What is it?"
"I still haven't figured out the test my predecessor left behind, so I can't leave the cloud."
"You still haven't figured it out?"
"He had it made by the previous Tenku."
"Oh."
"But if I take a host body I can help."
"Well since I'm all ready here, why don't you share with me?" Korin smirks.

"Korin Busou!" The strings of lightning running through the cloud grow to as thick as the Earth God's arms at the words. Green energy surges around him in a rage, engulfing the blond. The power meets a peak and bursts into hundreds of cherry blossoms. A magnificent forest-green full-body armor formed from it. Grasping a handful of cherry blossoms in both hands a helmet and a no-dachi shape into existence. He slips the helmet on and everything goes white. The light dies down, all returning to normal.
Korin sheathes the no-dachi and approaches Kongo. "I was hoping you would say that." In a sudden rush, the Lightning god kisses the other boy deeply.

Kongo is, to say the least, shocked. He can only stand there while the lavender-eyed boy kisses him very passionately. Then Korin becomes light itself and merges with his body. "W-was...that really necessary?"
"I'll let you figure that out," he answers teasingly.
//I think I'll leave that open to discussion.// Despite his will, Kongo blushes.


A stray bolt of lightning zaps into the Earth. "Whoa! What a trip! Traveling by lightning rocks!" Kongo can hear a distinctive chuckle.
"Okay, now let me control your body."
"Alright."

Taking control, Korin's essence overlaps Kongo's. He raises his arm to the heavens. "Here comes one freak lightning special!" A monstrous bolt of lighting flashes down from the clear night sky and smashes into the boulder; dust, dirt, water, and stray chunks of rock are sprayed everywhere. The water rushes back into its accustomed channel. "There. Maybe this time round they'll take the time to learn to do it the right way." In another flash of lightning, this one going up, the pair disappears.

The Earth God once again faces the Lightning God in the thundercloud. "Thank you, Korin. I can feel the difference in the land already."
"You are very much welcome. And Kongo?"
"Yeah?"
"Come visit more often. Way more often." He steals another kiss before sending him stumbling out the door.


"Milord Kongo, are you feeling well? Your face is completely red!"
"I'm fine." //I'm a God and I still blush.// A silly grin forms on Kongo's face. //Maybe I should repay Korin for his services by helping him with that puzzle? He did ask me to visit more often. And what better excuse than that?//


**Eternal bonds will then be forged...**

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Shu, it's your turn. Everyone else's gone all ready."
"Do I have too?"
"Come on, Shu," cheers on Junji. "It has to be better than Osamu's!"
"Hey! What was wrong with my poem?"
"I quote, 'There's a pond and there's a log. And oh my, gosh! There's a frog!' Puleezzeee!" The reminder of the poem prompts another round of laughter.
"Would you prefer if I read it instead, Shu?" asks Mrs. Hino.
"Yeah, I guess." He hands her hid paper.

"On the Red Moon will come the Firestorm...
To quench the Inferno, he must seek remedy in the Wind...
Lightning will find him on that path...
Eternal bonds will then be forged."

For a moment the entire class is silent, a quiet statement from Junji finally breaks it. "Whoa Shu, and here you had me thinking you couldn't write stuff like this."
"Shu, this is fantastic!" exclaims the teacher. "I'm keeping this on the memento board!" As she said it she was already reaching for the stapler.

"I have no idea what he was talking about but it definitely sounded cool," comments someone.
"Where did you get the idea for that?"
"What were you referring to?" To Shu's relief the bell rings.


Shu is walking down an alleyway when a bunch of girls screaming out a guy's name reaches his ears. //Well someone has adoring fans.//
"Ahhh!" screeches a high-pitched voice. "Where did he go?"
"How did he get away?"
//Lost them I see.// Before Shu could dodge, a blond blur in green clothing literarily runs into him, knocking both of them to the ground.
"Ow, sorry," apologizing the newcomer. "I wasn't watching where I was going." More desperate screams are heard. "Don't they ever give up?"
"You're the one the girls are after, huh? No wonder you weren't looking." Shu shakes off the last effects of the fall and opens his eyes. //No way!// The other boy has the same look of shocked disbelief.

Wordlessly Shu helps him to his feet. Both look away simultaneously then repeatedly glance back at one another in embarrassment. "Um, I'm Seiji Date."
"Shu Lay Fang."
"Uh Shu, don't hit me or anything but, may I treat you to a soda?" Seiji gives him a hopeful smile. Shu returns it with a lop-sided grin.
"Sure."








The idea for this short story came to me one night while I was channel flipping and looking around my living room in boredom. Then I spotted the dust cover of a book of mine. In fact, the first three lines comes straight from the dust cover.

On the Red Moon will come the Firestorm...
To quench the Inferno, he must seek remedy in the Wind...
Lightning will find him on that path...

If you would like to read a book with such interesting things on the back then ask your local bookstore for:
Temple of the Winds
Book Four of the Sword of Truth Series
By Terry Goodkind.

The first three are very good too. They are:
Wizard's First Rule
Stone of Tears
Blood of the Fold

In respective order of course.

=^_^=
MEOW!