Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction ❯ Love Reincarnate ❯ University Students ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Love Reincarnate
A Rurouni Kenshin Alternate Universe Fic
By: Serenity-chan

Prologue:
University Student

Midori Saginuma was a promising student at the local university for the arts. She seemed to be just like any other girl there, if a little bit more serious than most. She wasn't really much of a partygoer, preferring to stay in her room with her work, but she was by no means shy. Unlike most students, she lived alone, as she had since she was seventeen. She had no time for boys or parties or clubbing or anything. Well, she did, but she chose to do other things.

Her favorite class was figure drawing. Like all the members of her class, she had blushed at drawing nudes and snickered at others' red faces. She went through all the shapes and shades and shadows with near-embarrassing ease. It was as if she had been born to draw. At sixteen, though, a new subject seemed to dominate her work.

A young man in an odd uniform, with strong features and a handsome face was the focus of most of her drawings. A red bandanna kept his unruly black hair in some kind of order and added to his appeal. Her friends picked on her, asking "Oh, is that your boyfriend or something?" just like a bunch of giggling middle-schoolers. Even her art teacher had expressed an interest in him.

"Saginuma-san, this man is in almost every one of your works," commented Ms. Akino one day as she was looking over Midori's shoulder. "Is he close to you?"

"Iie, Akino-sensei," Midori answered in her normal soft voice.

"Well where did you get your inspiration for him?" Ms. Akino persisted. "I've seen the way you look at your work and it seems as if you know him. You capture his emotions so well."

Midori looked up at her mentor.

"I don't really know where I got the image. I started drawing him when I was about sixteen," she said honestly. "It's weird to me, too. I do sort of feel like I know him... No, more like knew him, like as in a long time ago."

Ms. Akino nodded and turned away to critique someone else.

But as time passed, Midori grew more and more interested in the man she drew almost constantly. She knew she had seen his face before, she was sure of it. But that was impossible, she had never met anyone like him. Never met someone so handsome and caring.

'Wait, get a grip,' she told herself sternly. 'He. Is. NOT. Real. You know he's nothing but a drawing.'

Or at least that's what she thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was six in the morning on a rainy Tuesday when Souzou Sagara stumbled into the lobby of the university. His friend had given him wrong directions so he had been driving all night and in bad weather too. Then it had taken him forever to find a place to park and it wound up being about a half a mile from the school. He was thoroughly pissed off, cold, wet and tired.

He was transferring from another university, so it had taken around three hours to locate all the neccessary paperwork and whatever else. The admissions secretary eyed him like he was some kind of hood. He guessed it was the red bandanna. He didn't even know why he wore it. Just seemed like a good idea for some reason and anyway, it had grown on him.

'I hope they can just get me up to my room soon,' he grumbled in his thoughts. 'Reichi had better not be partying or something...'

Soon, another lady was there, handing him his schedule, directions to his room and the combination to a locker he knew full well he would never use. He liked carrying everything with him, it was like strength training. Martial arts helped him stay secure in his masculinity in an artistic field in which most dedicated participants were gay. Yes, he was a singer. No, not the boy-band kind.

'Ugh, sometimes I wonder why I keep doing this,' he groused inside his head. 'I get so sick of guys hitting on me...'

He remembered his father shaking his head and grumbling about his son "turning gay" the day he announced that he wanted to sing. His mother and sister had been proud of him, praising him for turning down jock stereotypes even though he was an active athlete. Reichi, who was a drama specialist, was impressed that Souzou was standing up to his father. Touya and Kyo had hassled him until he knocked their heads together, but he knew they supported him anyway.

Then he reminded himself that it was HIS dream to sing. He was finally going to do something for himself, not trying to please anyone else. He staggered into his room with the one small bag he carried. Reichi was sitting in a chair, reading as usual. The brunette man stood up and his cocoa-brown eyes lit up at the sight of his friend.

"Man, look what the cat dragged in!" he exclaimed, a jokingly disgusted look on his face as he thumped his best friend on the back. "Look at you, Souzou, you look awful! Did you just stand out in the rain or something?"

"Oh shove it, Reichi," complained Souzou. "Where do I sleep?"

"What kind of greeting is that for your best friend?" demanded Reichi. "Anyway, you have class in, like, two hours!"

Souzou rolled his eyes and pried Reichi's arm off his shoulders.

"That's two hours I can spend sleeping," he said flatly.

"Well all I can say is that you'd BETTER spend part of that time in the SHOWER!" Reichi told him. "You smell!"

"Thanks a lot, MOM," snapped Souzou. "Just point me towards the bedroom."

"That way," Reichi replied, pointing at the couch. "There's only one bed in this room, so you get the pullout."

Souzou snarled at his friend.

"Just tell me where the bathroom is," he growled.

"Down the hall and to the left," replied Reichi, deciding this was NOT the best time to try and get on Souzou's nerves. "You can use my stuff."

"Thanks," Souzou replied curtly, stalking off to where he thought the bathroom was.

"Not THAT hall!" groaned Reichi, knowing he would be dead after his next statement sank in.