Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ 'Do You Want to Live Forever?' ❯ Body of Evidence ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: Just to Clarify a few things...

Vampire's...

Edo Gallion, Master of The Horse=Seijuro Hiko, General of The Slayers inside the colony of the Black Lands (Ellis Island Compound) and chief combat instructor, Retainer to Prince Crede and Step-Father to Kaoru and Soujiro. Married Magdelena Kamiya after the Revolution.

Prince Crede Corban=Kenshin's Grandfather, Last surviving member of the Ruling Faction of Royal Pure Bloods, youngest son of Nadia and Maxmillion Corban. OC

Kenshin Himura=Homicide Detective (NYPD)Rank-Captain, The One/'Cel', The Fang of Pythagoras, Great Grandson of Maxmillion Corban the last ruling King of the Vampire's (Murdered by Gustav Uriel)

Gustav Uriel=Hajime Saitou, The Black Diamond (Leader of the Made)

Kaoru Kamiya=The Source (Mate of The One), Slayer-Final Level

Soujiro Seta Kamiya=The Keeper (of the Records/Archives)

Magdelana Kamiya=Mother to Kaoru and Soujiro. Wife to Hiko. OC

Aoshi Shinomori=Major, Leader of the Slayers. Second in command after Hiko Seijuro. Slayer-Final Level

Misao Machimaki=Slayer-Fourth Level (Lieutenant, Leader of China Towne Group)

Mara Rostovich=Slayer-Fourth Level (Attached to China Towne Group) OC

Slayers=First Level is beginner, Second-Forth Level is a learning Apprentice, Fifth and Final Level is Master.

Human's...

Sanosuke Sagara=Homicide Detective (NYPD), Kenshin's partner

Megumi Takani=Coroner

***Many of the Main Ancient's changed their names when they passed from one century to another... their reasons for doing this were for protection. To keep themselves hidden from their enemies. Of course, many of their names did become known to one another over the years, but not every plan is fool proof, that is why warriors and soldiers are needed and must be trained... and retrained constantly.

Reviewer responses at the end of the chapter....

Glossary: Simpatie=Love, Indragostit=Lover, Nevasta=Lady Wife, Tovaras=Friend,

Chapter Eight

A Body of Evidence

He had woken with her wrapped tightly in his arms that morning, and although it was still dark outside the window of his room, he knew she needed to leave soon. Soon... before the dawn came and trapped her inside of his apartment for the rest of the day.

It had been one of the most difficult things he had ever done in his life, kissing her good-bye and letting her leave. He had wanted to reach out and pull her back and hold her to him forever never letting her go, but that was not reasonable and he knew it. Still, as the elevator doors closed taking her out of his reach for the day, Kenshin thought the pain in his heart would rise up and crush him.

"She will be back..." He kept telling himself as he stepped into the warmth of the shower and let the steam and the water ease the deep ache that was suddenly appearing within the muscles of his back and upper body. "She will be back... soon. She promised you she would." Reaching out to the side of him, he grabbed a terrycloth and filled it with soap and began washing his body. A wry smile curved his lips as he remembered the surprised look in her eyes when she had looked upon his full human form for the first time.

"You... you have purple eyes, Kenshin." Raising up on his well-muscled chest, she looked down at him incredulous. "I... I didn't know. I thought..."

"You thought they were gold and glowing like that all the time? Nu?" A rich chuckled caused a dark blush to color her fair cheeks and she favored him with a shy smile.

"I guess I never thought about it."

"Well... I can't be 'Vamped' out all the time... at least not like that." His now talon free hand lifted and brushed her long ebony locks out of her lovely face. "I am half human you know, and a 'Day Walker' too." Graceful black eyebrows knitted together as she grasped his hand and looked at its very human appearance.

"A 'Day Walker'?" Her dark blue eyes searched his face in confusion. "You're half human? You aren't a full 'Pure Blood'? How is that possible? I mean, if you are 'The One', shouldn't you be the purest of us all?"

"Don't ask me, Kaoru." Kenshin replied blandly as he brought her hand to his lips and pressed a tender kiss against her fingers. "I just found out that I'm the great-grandson of the last King of the Vampire's and that my kindly old Grandfather is none other than the last surviving member of the same Royal Family... and I thought that whole story of the Revolution and the coming of 'The One' was just a really cool legend that I read in a very old book when I was a whole lot younger than I am now... so, if you got any better answers than ones I already have... I'm all ears, Honey."

"Then it really is true..." She looked at him in wonder and childlike awe. "You really are Him... You really are 'The One' and I really am your Mate?"

"Desigur, My Simpatie. That you are..." His voice dropped to a deep husky resonance as he raised up to capture her lips in a tender loving kiss. "And no others but you." It was during that kiss that Kaoru noticed that Kenshin had still retained his fangs to some extent. Though greatly receded and nearly a normal size, his canines remained seriously pointed and very sharp. A proud smile curled her full sensual lips beneath his kiss and a deep sigh of contented pleasure escaped from between them as she melted down into his body.

"I love you, Mighty Fang." She breathed into his mouth while the strength of her tongue tapped against his teeth. "You and no other." And as the barrier of his teeth parted letting her tongue pass through to begin a passionate battle with his, Kaoru heard her Mate's voice inside her head speaking in a fierce and almost arrogant tone.

'See that you remember that, my indragostit... I would hate to have to remind anyone that you belong to ME and ME ALONE.' And he rolled her beneath him so swiftly and in such predatory haste that Kaoru gasped in passionate surprise and instinctively arched her body up into the hardness of his. 'So beautiful... my lubit... so completely and utterly beautiful...' His thoughts were a heated caress within her mind even as his lips moved to caress her flesh and his hands moved to lift her hips up into the rigidness of his need. 'Mine... for eternity, Kaoru... you are MINE for all the Eternities...'

'Gladly my Stepan... gladly...' And the rationality of her mind faded into the glory of his love and passion as he once more entered her body and fused their souls and hearts making them one. Lifting her long sinuous leg's, Kaoru wrapped them around his waist, crossing them at the ankle locking him inside the powerful strength of her embrace, and he growled thickly as her actions fanned the spirit of the beast within him.

'...love... you...' The words were wrung from his being as he thrust against her violently causing her to whimper and cry out in mounting passion and need. '...need you... Kaaoruu... need... you...' The crescendo of their combined voices rose high as they clutched at one another pulling bodies closer, reaching for a deeper connection... a more satisfying penetration... the aching release they both needed from the other so desperately... reaching... wanting... needing.

Kaoru reached the blinding white precipice first and stood teetering on the edge of the snowy white cliff waiting... waiting... waiting for Kenshin... waiting... Then in a rush of voracious golden energy, he came and swept her up with him and they went careening over the edge and down into the deep well of fulfilment that was in each other's arms. Spinning wildly out of control, they flew past the worlds of the humans, the Pure Bloods, the Made... and as they came to rest at the bottom, they found themselves lying peacefully on a downy patch of soft green grass that cushioned their bodies and cradled them in the warm after-glow of their lovemaking.

"Where are we?" Kaoru asked in a soft hushed voice as she looked upward into a pure white sky without color or cloud. "Are we in a dream?"

"No, simpatie... we are not in a dream." Tenderly he rolled to her side and pulled her into the haven of his arms. "We are floating within 'The Womb of The Mother'." The tone of his voice bordered on the sound of that of a knowledgeable old man, or a profoundly patient teacher. Either way, it was infinitely calm, smooth, and that of a cultured and educated person. Different. Not quite Kenshin, there was the feeling of something more... something bigger... something infinite and almost intangible. The touch of 'The One' was upon them as 'He' touched that which was 'himself' and that which was 'not'.

"The 'womb'..." Confusion filled the ebon-haired woman's voice and she snuggled closer to her human lover. "I don't understand, Kenshin... what does that mean? 'The Mother's Womb'?"

"We have crossed one of the planes of reality, Kaoru... we have entered into a altered state of consciousness. We have made contact with 'The Mother'."

"How do you know this?" She asked as she traced lazy lace patterns across his chest. " And who is 'The Mother', Kenshin?"

"'The Mother' is all things, Simpatie. She is the messenger of Fate, the Keeper of Time... It was by her laws that Prophecy was born to Nadia Corban's lips before she died, and it is by her will that I have found my way to where I am now. It was She who brought me to You... who brought us together... " The wide lavender irises of his beautiful eyes looked heavenward and he 'leaned' into the 'feeling' of The Mother's vastness... the Winds... the Oceans... the Earth itself. "How do I know this...?" His voice was soft and reverent as a prayer as he 'reached' out with his soul and caressed the massive presence around them. "I do not know... only that she is even as we are and she holds all life as most precious."

"Did she make you 'The One'?"

"Nu... But it is by her will that I will either become what I am destined to be... or fail in the trying." Kaoru sat up and looked down into the beautiful and ethereal face of her Mate and bit her lip in consternation.

"Why do you speak of failing, Kenshin? We have not yet even begun this fight, and you speak of failing. Why?"

"Because, Simpatie... the future is uncertain. No matter which pathway I choose to walk, the future will always be uncertain, and each of the players involved can only perform to the best of his or her personal limits or talents. We are each given certain gifts, and with those gifts we must try to become more than we are... Victory is not assured simply because I have arisen as foretold in the Prophecy... victory and peace must be fought for... struggled for... and eventually either won or lost by whichever side proves the strongest. Be that as it may, Hope is one of our strongest allies right now... Hope and Trust."

"They are such small words to me... I have never believed very much in either of them." Her dark blue eyes gazed steadfast into his calm violet eyes and her hand gently cupped his cheek. "But, if we are to go forward into battle against a foe whose numbers increase by the thousands each month... we must have Hope."

"Yes, lubit... we must have Hope." Slowly he sat up and tenderly brushed her hair away from her face. "Can you tell me what we need more that Hope and Trust?" His eyes bore into hers and she caught her breath as a brilliant circle of gold began to glimmer around each of his black pupils. "Hope and Trust are essential to our cause, Kaoru, but even more so than either of those things, we need something else, and without it, we will fail."

"What?" Her face became anxious as she cupped his handsome face in both hands. "Tell me... what is it? Tell me so I can help you."

"Faith... we must have Faith." His gaze was rock solid and unwavering as he looked into her soul. "You must find it within yourself, for you have none, my lubit."

"I... I know." Blue sapphires lowered in shame before his penetrating look and her hands dropped to his chest. "I have never.... I have never believed in anything... except my own skills as a Slayer."

"You must find your Faith, Little One... If you are to stand beside me as my Nevasta, and my blood bride... you must find your Faith that we may stand together." Her head nodded and he heard the smallest of sounds being made in her throat. A deep sigh escaped him, and he reached out for her. Pulling her into his arms, he cradled her lovingly against his chest. "I love you, Kaoru... you and no other, and I have 'faith' in you, my simpatie... I have faith in you."

She had wrapped her arms around him and cried against his neck for a time, until he had brought her back to the reality that the dawn would shortly be upon them and she had to be leaving or she would never make it to the compound safely.

"You must go now, simpatie, the sun will be up soon and you must be back in time before the entrance is sealed." Caressing her face tenderly he wiped her tears away and gently kissed her lips. "It will be all right... I promise it will. Do you believe me?" Large moist blue eyes rose to meet the brilliant lavender crystalline gaze that lovingly stroked her face, and she nodded quietly. "Good, now stop your tears and find the strength with in you that has always been yours... not the bravado you have lived on and behind all these years, but your strength of spirit, and hold my hand." Lacing their fingers together tightly, he had smiled rakishly at her, leaned back into her and kissed her passionately and then pulled her screaming into the blinding white sky above them like a bottle rocket exploding off the ground on the fourth of July.

"KEENNNSHHIN!!!!" Kaoru's voice screeched through the white void as she clamped her eyes shut in terror hanging onto Kenshin's hand like a panic stricken leech, and then suddenly they were wildly bouncing like a couple of water balloons in the middle of his king-size waterbed and she was scrabbling around desperately trying to get her bearings. "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?"

"Calm down, Baby." He was laughing and trying to pull her back into his arms, but she was having none of it and Kenshin found himself ducking and dodging the snaking blur of her fist as she attacked him. "Whoa! Hey, wait a minute..."

"Bullshit!" She yelled as she pounced on top of him. "You said we weren't going to do anymore shit like that, you evil sonofa..." Catching her clenched fist just before she connected with his nose, Kenshin was finally able to flip her over onto her back and then pin her with one of his legs. "Hey! Lemme up you.... DAMMIT!! Lemme up so I can kill you!" She began fish-flopping beneath him and he was laughing so hard he almost lost his hold on her.

"Cut it out...." Gasping for breath between guffaws and wrestling with her, Kenshin finally managed to get a good hold on her and effectively pinned her to the bed. "What do you mean? I said we weren't going to 'do anymore shit LIKE THAT?' What are you talking about?"

"Jumping off buildings and scaring the hell out of me... that shit." She glared at him mutinously and tried in vain to get away but failed miserably. It was at that moment that she decided that him coming into all of his powers and strengths was a BAD idea because it made him stronger than her... and that was just not good. No, it was not good at all. She had not felt this vulnerable in many long years... hundreds of years to be exact, and this was not setting well with her pride. That it was not, and to make matters worse, he was laughing again and she couldn't even smack him in his smirking face for it. Fuck him!

"But, Kaoru-Honey... we didn't jump off a building. We went flying through the White-void of The Mother... that's a big difference between 'falling' and 'flying', Baby." Rubbing his nose against hers just to add insult to injury, Kenshin snickered and nibbled at her chin. "Do we need to have a discussion on aeronautics and gravity?"

"Damn you!!" She yelled into his jolly face. "Let me up before I really do kill you!"

"You think the way you've been threatening me and such really makes me wants to let you up, Kaoru? I don't think so..."

"Kenshin..." The look on her face was about to go thermal so he decided to finally take pity on her... and take cover. So, with a blinding fast roll away from her, he released her and leapt off the bed and took himself to the door of the bedroom in a split instant, and as he was pulling the door shut on her astonished face, he smiled and winked wickedly.

"I'll go find your clothes while you...ahh... calm down." Then with an unforgiving chuckle he had shut the door and left her setting there with her mouth hanging open wondering just how in the hell he had moved so damn fast...

"You're dead flyboy... dead..." She muttered.

"We need to do that more often, lubit." He sputtered as he rinsed the soap out of his hair and off his body before turning off the shower and reaching for his towel. "A lot more often."

The smile on his face had remained through his coffee and toast, morning rush hour traffic (he took the bus seeing as how he had left his car at his grandfather's the night before), the walk to the Precinct from the bus stop, and even through the jibes, jabs, and mock accusations from the 'Uniforms' he passed on his way to his office.

It felt like a good morning to him. That was until Sano showed up with THAT look on his face.

"Uhh... what's the matter, Sargent? You look like you swallowed your toilet this morning, or is that the other way around?" The thin gold-framed glasses setting on the end of Kenshin's nose gave him a hawk-like appearance as he looked over the top at the tall disheveled detective that was wandering through the doorway.

"Very funny, Captain... very funny." His voice was acrid with sarcastic displeasure as he tossed his rumpled jacket over the back of his desk chair and then turned to shut the door behind him. "Tell me something, will ya?" He asked as he cast a malevolent brown gaze on the seemingly chipper redhead whose feet were propped up on his desk top. "You get any sleep last night?"

"Some... why?" Kenshin flipped the page of the report he was scanning and gave Sano a sidelong glance wondering what the hell his partner was getting at. He didn't have to wait very long.

"Well, isn't that just peachy-keen for you and the rest of New York City. Aren't we all just fucking pleased as poop in a punch bowl that Captain Himura got some sleep last night while his stupid partner, Sanosuke Sargara sat up the whole damn time with one fucking weird old man listening to the history of 'The Family Corban' and 'Cel' and 'The Vampire Revolution' and 'The War of The Worlds' or whatever the hell it is that's coming and how my best friend in the whole world is a.... a... a..." He stammered into sudden silence and then just stood and stared at Kenshin in incredulity and some nameless emotion his breathing heavy and labored.

"A Vampire." Kenshin lowered his feet, put the file on his desk, took off his glasses, and slowly stood up to face a man he had known since he was ten years old. "Is that is, Sano... I'm a Vampire... I'm the last of the line of 'Corban'... the Greatgrandson of the last Vampire King... I am 'Cel'... I am the one who is going to lead 'my people' into this 'War of The Worlds' my grandfather told you about. Is that what this is all about, more so than the fact that you didn't get any sleep?" He waited as a pregnant silence filled the small room, and he watched as the face he had trusted for so many years fell into confusion and a man of incredible inner strength crumbled into his chair in an exhausted pile of arms and legs. "Is that it?" He asked again in an even softer voice the hint of uncertainty and fear audible. "Sano?"

"Yes... yes... but no. Shit, I don't know, Bud. I'm so damned confused by everything, can you understand that?" Haunted brown eyes rose and locked with worried violet ones and then Sano was raking his big hands through the mess that was his dark brown hair before burying his face in his palms. "I saw shit the last two days that I never saw before... except in the movies, you know... it's hard to accept, fucking hard, man, and I'm so tired... so damn tired. I don't know if I heard or saw half what I think I did."

"You heard it, Sano. You saw it. Everything was real, I swear it to you, my friend... and... and all I can do is promise you that you are in no danger from me or those like me." The voice was so low that Sano had to strain to hear it, and when he looked up, he realized Kenshin had turned away and was looking out the window.

"How do I know that, Buddy? How can I tell one from the other?"

"That isn't for you to worry about..."

"Then who the hell is going to worry about it, Kenshin? These Vamps, whoever they are, they walk around like regular people, for Godsake... how can you tell the difference between one and a real person?" It was panic, it was confusion, it was... denial?

"Real people? Is that what human's are now, Sano? Real People?" Kenshin's head drooped and a deep, sad sigh escaped him. "What does that make me? I'm half human, and half Vampire... half 'Pure Blood'. Pure Blood's do not prey on Human's... the 'Made' prey on human blood... they are the murderer's, that is why it is they who must be exterminated, that is why the War must be brought forth... that is why I am here... That is why I am both a 'Daywalker' and a 'Nightprowler' . Only I can go where both sub-species live... only I can exist in both worlds... as well as the human world. I am 'The Fang of Pythagoras'... I am 'The Fang of Justice'. It is up to me to cleanse the world of 'my people's' mistake."

"Mistake?" Sano sounded as confused as he felt. "What the hell are you talking about? What mistake?"

"The 'Made'." Sano watched in shuddering awe as Kenshin's body structure shifted before his eyes, and the immaculate hands morphed growing long black talons that could easily slice open tender flesh and perhaps any other substance they chose. The flaming mane of red hair that had always been his grew longer and thicker until it reached his knees, and then it darkened into a brilliance of orange, red, and yellow that gleamed in the morning sun like molten gold causing Sano to squint slightly at the glare. "My people 'Sired' the 'Made' and summarily let their numbers get out of control thus leading to the Revolt that nearly annihilated the Pure Bloods, and inevitably killed the Ruling Faction scattering the survivors across the face of the earth which left the 'Made' to multiply unchecked and prey upon the unsuspecting human race like Eagles in a open field of mice."

"Kenshin... I..." Sano sucked in his breath as the man at the window turned to face him. The horror and the beauty were almost more than he could absorb, but he could not look away.

"I am what I am, Sanosuke." The golden eyed creature gazed gently at the awe struck human. "I am Vampire. I am released from the bonds of my human life... I have found my 'Mate' and taken her as my own as well as made contact with the ancient blood of my family... I am released. 'Cel' is born... free... and my power is fully upon me as you can see." Kenshin spread his arms and lifted his hands palms up. "I can run faster than time... I can jump higher than eighty feet straight up, at least... I am stronger than 100 men... I can travel from one plane of reality to another with a thought... and I have powers and strengths as yet unseen I'm sure. Am I a monster, Sano?" His fangs were easily discernable as he spoke and a tear slipped free from his glorious eyes as he met the confusion and grief riddled gaze of his lifelong friend. "Is that what you see now... A monster? Is that what 'this body of evidence' leads you to believe now? Is that what I am? If that is what you see... perhaps you should kill me where I stand. All it would take is one bullet from your nine. One bullet through my very living heart, and my misery and your suffering would be over..."

"Kenshin... don't do this..." Clouds of tears and a sadness that reached clear to Sano's soul could be seen in his eyes as he dropped his face back into his hands and drew in a deep rasping breath of emotional pain. "I can't handle this... I can't."

"Then what do you want me to do, my tovaras? I am what I am... I am the 'Savior' of my people... and WE are not the beasts that stalk the night you are including us with when you say 'Vamps' vs 'Regular people'. We are not so different from you 'humans'..."

"What about your 'Pimp Killer', Mighty Fang? What about Him? What would you call him if not a beast?" A flare of angry righteousness flashed in his eyes as his voice rose on a desperate note of frustration. "He's 'pure blood' and yet he seems to be preying on some very human individuals even if they are the scum of the planet. What about 'Him'?" Kenshin's eyes flickered in indecision for an instant and then he slowly approached the obviously tormented man.

"To begin..." His voice took on an otherworldly echo as he reached inside and touched that part of him that would bring the wisdom of the Ancient's to bear, and as Sano's eyes grew round in further astonishment at the change, he continued. "It is not the relationship of 'Hunter' and 'prey' that we have been investigating in this case, although it is indeed a 'Pure Blood' as I believed."

"Wh-what is it then?" Sano suddenly felt as if he were in the presence of something older than the Egyptian Pyramids in the deserts... older than the Mayan's and their stone temples in the Jungles... older than the Andes Mountain hieroglyphics... perhaps older than time itself, but he know longer felt as if he were in merely setting with his oldest friend any longer. It was much, much more than that... and he was... afraid?

"It is Judgement and Punishment."

"Punishment...? You mean, their being..."

"Executed, Sanosuke. Each of them are being executed for their crimes against humanity and for their contributions toward the degradation of woman, teenagers, and the unfortunate upon whom they prey unmercifully as whoremonger's, drug dealers, extortionists, blackmailers, and murderers."

"Oh my God... is that what they are doing? Killing the heavy-hands?"

"Yes, but they are discriminate... they do not kill at will or mercilessly. They use a naturally occurring neuro-toxin in their saliva that numbs and paralyzes their quarry before they kill them... that is why there is no struggle. Their fangs are twice as long as a 'Made's' making the blood flow faster. The surrounding tissue dissolves during and after feeding." It all sounded so scientific almost as if they were discussing the weather not the perfection of a supernatural killing machine.

"The neuro-toxin? That's what Megumi found in the toxicology screens, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is. A 'Pure Blood can use it at will as it is located in special excretory sacs beneath their tongues. They can be activated by applying pressure with the tongue and is best transferred during kissing. It is not lethal and will wear off in several hours if the victim is left alone. It does not harm other 'Pure Bloods' obviously, or we would all be Zombies in our lovers arms." The last was said with such a blank and bland look that Sano saw no humor in it despite the obvious.

"She'll never be able to identify it, will she?"

"No. It has no known 'human' or 'animal' properties. The closest she will come is a plant derivative. It will end up being labeled as an 'unknown' toxin."

"God... what am I supposed to do with all of this, Kenshin? Just take it to my grave with me? Huh? What the fuck am I supposed to do?" His inner turmoil was obvious and he stood up in an exasperated jerk. "I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel guilty about not telling the Chief that I know something... you know that?"

"I know. You do what you have to do, Partner... but before you do, there is one more thing you have to know about the 'Pimp Killer'... something very important."

"How important?" Sano turned back to face Kenshin and locked gazes with those amazing golden crystals. "I don't want to know this... do I."

"It isn't a 'Him'..."

"Don't...."

"It's a 'Her'...."

"Stop.... I don't want to know this..." He knew what was coming.

"She is my 'Mate'."

"Fuckin' hell..." He slumped back down into his chair and dropped his head back onto the cushion. "How did I know you were going to say that?"

"Perhaps because in your heart you already knew." Once more Kenshin turned back to the window and looked out across the street as he clasped talon-tipped hands behind his back. "We have been together for a long time... you and I."

"Since we were kids..."

"A long time... do you remember the day we met, Sano?" A smile curved the dark-haired mans lips despite the somber and dismal mood of the moment. It was hard not to smile when recalling that particular day, hard indeed.

"Yeah... I remember." He mumbled with a wry chuckled. "You were the skinniest piece of white trash I ever saw in my life, and I still never have figured out how you managed to get yourself out numbered 150 to 1..."

"There were only 11 other children, Sanosuke, not 150. You were always were an exaggerator when it came to that day."

"Hey, I saved your sorry skinny white ass, Bud... I can say there were a million there if I want." Kenshin laughed softly and nodded his head in defeated agreement.

"Yes, I suppose you can, but there were still only 11."

"Yeah, and I kicked all their asses while you were eatin' dirt and choking on your own teeth."

"And you've had my back ever since... haven't you?" As soon as the smile came it was replaced by a confused frown and Sano was staring at Kenshin's back realizing that the man had once more morphed back into his full human self. "You have always been there for me... whether it was with your nine covering me, or your fists backing me up... or just hanging out getting drunk and looking for girls. It never mattered, Sano, you have always been there for me ever since that day."

"That's what best friend's are for, Buddy. They back each other up." What are you doing? Where are you going with this and why do I feel like I'm not going to like it when you get there?

"I don't think I ever really said 'Thank-you, Sano..." The red head turned around and

looked at the troubled man setting at the desk. "I should have... a hundred times, maybe a thousand... or even more. Anyway, thanks... you're the best friend any guy could ever have, I've been lucky to have you for mine... and to have you as my Partner as well. Couldn't ask for a better one."

"What are you doing, Kenshin? What is this?" A cold hand was squeezing Sano's chest and the strangest feeling of fear was working its way into his vitals. Something was wrong.

"I'm saying 'Good-bye', my tovaras."

"Good-bye? What the hell are you talking about?" Sano shot out of his chair once more and faced Kenshin in outrage. "You can't do that to me. You don't just say 'Good-bye and do whatever it is you're planning... I won't let you. I won't!" An ironic smile crossed Kenshin's face as he looked into Sano's angry face, and then he reached out and put his hand on the big mans shoulder.

"It isn't for you to say, Sanosuke, but I realized as we talked that you're right."

"I'm WHAT?" Brown eyes bulged dangerously in their sockets. "What the fuck are you saying? I'm never RIGHT?" Kenshin laughed gently and squeezed his friends shoulder.

"You are this time. I can't ask you hide 'me' and my 'Mate' or 'our people' or what is going on around us, but nor can I deny what I am or what I have to do." A look of profound sadness settled on the handsome boyish features and Kenshin looked as if he could shed tears. "I can't ask you to deny your sense of 'Honor', Sanosuke... I can't do that to you. It would kill you to keep all of this under your hat especially with what has yet to come to light..."

"What... what has yet to come to light?"

"Four dead policeman..."

"FOUR...?!" Kenshin watched the color drain from Sano's face and then a look of horrified understanding enter his chocolate brown eyes as he recalled the way Kenshin had screamed 'Don't touch her!" and then disappeared from his grandfather's house the night before. "What happened?" The whisper was barely a croak.

"They had her cornered in a box alley on Wilshire and 56th..." His voice was just as low and almost as raspy. "They were going to kill her... she killed three of them before I got there... I... I... killed one, the last one before he blew her head of with his 12 gauge riot."

"Holy shit!... Oh God... were you... did you..."

"I was... 'Cel'... the other four would never know me as... Myself. It was a battlefield."

"Jesus... she killed them... up against eight and she killed 3?" He was incredulous.

"In self-defense... she was unarmed... they shot her to pieces, Sano... the alley looked like a war zone there were so many bullet casings and spent rounds... and so much gunpowder smoke in the air... I don't know how she made it out alive at all."

"They... shot her up? Are you shitting me?" He looked into Kenshin's face horrified. "They had her cornered and they shot her up? Why?"

"I don't know... but I would hazard a guess that knowing her 'winning' personality she probably goaded them into it trying to find a way to get out thinking they would make a mistake... she was almost right."

"Is... is she alright?" The worry and concern in Sano's voice reached out and touched Kenshin's heart and he looked up into his friends face and found it to be an honest and true emotion.

"Yes... strangely enough, Sano, once we 'mated'... the 'Pure Blood' way and shared our blood, her wounds healed completely. There weren't even any scars. It was amazing... it was... a miracle, it really was."

"You're shitting me."

"No, I'm not. They were gone." Kenshin turned away shaking his head and running his hand through his hair. "She was shot clean through on the right side... right through the meat of her liver, and it was gone like it had never been there.... not mark at all."

"Shit! I wanna meet this girl." Whirling around abruptly, Kenshin stared at Sano in amazement and complete surprise.

"Now YOU"RE shitting me... aren't you?" Sano...?

"Hell no... there's a girl out there who finally tied you around her little finger, she Alamo'ed herself against eight armed men, she can dodge bullets, practically heal on command... more or less, and she takes out pimp's for a hobby..." A great big toothy grin was suddenly flashing across the big mans face and his big brown eyes began to twinkle wickedly. "Damn... I always wondered what kind of woman it would take to blow you over... I gotta meet this woman... oh yeah." A slow smile started at the corners of Kenshin's mouth as he eyed his friend carefully.

"She's a Vamp, Sano..."

"Is she pretty?" He hitched his leg up on the corner of his desk and met the trepidatious violet gaze.

"Beautiful... beyond your wildest imaginations."

"Serious...? Or are you bullshitting me?"

"Dead serious... that I am." Don't get any ideas...

"All right then... this is the way it's gonna be... 'Cel'," Sano's gaze turned rock hard as he locked it with Kenshin's wary violet one. "You're right, I've been backing you up for a long time... almost fifteen years if you get right down to it, and I don't feel like breaking up the best team that's ever been just because there is some screwy bullshit going on that I don't quite understand... you got me, Cap?" We are a team... we've always been a team... you aren't going to leave me behind... I won't let you... I CAN'T let you... I know that NOW... maybe I always knew, your grandfather knew, I guess that's why he told me all that stuff about you. Whatever, my place is at your side whether its as your friend or fighting, and if you're going to War, Kenshin, I'm going with you.

"Yes... so?"

"So..." His voice shifted and became edged with steel and bordered on malevolent. "YOU ARE NOT SAYING NO 'GOOD-BYE' TO ME... NOT NOW... NOT EVER... GOT THAT YOU SKINNY LITTLE RED-HEADED CROW?!" Kenshin's eyes widened at the thinly veiled threat and found himself nodding silently as a large knot of nerves tied itself in the pit of his stomach. "Good... because there isn't anybody else out there who knows how you think like I do, and if you try working with one of their 'Lieutenant's', you're just gonna get yourself killed... and then you won't be any good to anybody." I'm not letting some stupid Vampire get MY Captain killed, not when I know all your moves... all your strategies... and the way your mind works, strange as it is. They don't... I do... and my place is at your back... always at your back.

"Perhaps... but, Sano..."

"Perhaps, hell." Sano cut him off abruptly. "You know I'm right. We've been 'prowling the streets together to long for you to try and start doing it with someone else... and you know it." You are NOT leaving me...

"You are right, but you are at a disadvantage."

"What... besides my being human?"

"That IS the disadvantage." Kenshin looked at his friend with deep respect. "Unfortunately, it makes you slow, and vulnerable."

"Maybe in that respect, but you can die just as easily as I can... and if you're so worried about me be slow, pick me up. You said you were stronger than 100 men... carry me on your back if you have to, but you aren't leaving me behind, damn you. I won't let you. Not now... not when I can be an asset to you in this." His ferocity finally caught Kenshin's real attention and he gave Sano his full consideration. "You don't want me to 'hide' what I know... well, someone is going to have to or somebody is going to discover what is going on and that can't happen. YOU can't be discovered, Ken, you can't, nor can your girl. If the two of you are that important to the future of your people, you are that important to the human race as well. I guess I just sort of realized that... see, if you lose... we humans become 'food for the God's' so to speak... that's what your grandfather said last night, or something like that anyway. He said no blood would be spared and all life as we know it would cease and the world would fall into despair... I can't let that happen anymore than you can. So don't try to leave me behind... Please." Hear me, DAMMIT!! HEAR ME!!

"Sano... I don't know what to say..."

"I'm an asshole... I'm a jerk.... I'm stupid... say whatever you want, Bud, I know that everything I said this morning was... cruel and wretched and... desperate. I didn't want to face what was in front of me. I don't think anyone would... you don't either, do you?" You... you hate what you are... don't you... Oh God... why didn't I see that... I'm so stupid... that's part of why it hurts you so much... you don't want it either... I'm so fucking stupid...

"No..." The whispered word slammed into Sano's emotions harder than any 'ton of bricks' ever had and he knew that he had finally made the right decision. "I never wanted this... I would give almost anything to have it taken from me... almost... but I can't... it is mine to bear. Mine."

"And I will go with you, My Captain... I will go with you and help you bear the load and face the dangers... just as I always have." Sano reached out and gripped Kenshin's shoulder tightly as he caught the steady violet gaze with his dark brown one. "WE will go together... you lead, and I will follow."

Update August 11, 2004: These Review Responses are from my AFF.net account and date back a few weeks. Just so you know. I haven't changed anything in my uploads from my files. You're seeing the same things my reader on AFF.net saw since the beginning of the fic. Please review. I love reviews. And once I start getting them. I respond to everyone. KnT

Finished... finally. Took me days and days. Just kept growing and growing. There was so much for them to say to each other... so much to be understood... it is what it is...

Thank you to those who have reviewed... Including those who IM only, or write Emails...

Lere: My touchstone... you always lift me up when I am down... and you bring the inspiration muse to me and give the desire to go on when defeat snaps at my heals. Without you I would surely live in a much darker place. God Bless and keep you always. You are ever in my thoughts my beloved friend. I love you dearly. Tsuki-san

MZ.AmbER EYES: We've been through much, you and I. Here and on ff.net. I have always valued your opinions and you usually catch the things that I miss... I thank God frequently for your sharp eyes and for your sharp wit. You make me feel good about what I write. Thank you from the bottom of my soul.

Nikki-chan: My little 'Waterflash'... my beautiful golden haired girl. How I love to see you among my reviews. Hell... I just love to see 'you' anywhere. I love your fictions, I love your letters... You are a light in my heart that shines so brightly. Keep shining pretty girl... and keep writing. I'm reading.

Angua: I hope I still have your full attention... this is an important story for me. It is the product of a lot of years of reading... stewing... and fantasizing about Anne Rice... Chelsea Quinn Yarbro... Stephen King... Peter Straub... Dean Koontz... and so many others that I've read and wondered, "Could I?" Thanks for making me feel, even for a minute, like I could...

Kaoru-chan: LOLOLOL... butt-kisser... among other things... a good friend is more like it. You are another light in my heart... and I want you to know that I taped your picture up on my computer so I get to look at you every single day. XD Love you, baby. Write again soon.

Catti-dono: Are you here among us yet, My dear? Have you decided to come and read now that there are more than a few chapters?? I miss the sound of your voice and the wisdom of your words... How I wish to see you again my sweet friend. God bless and keep you safe... always. You are in my heart. Tsuki-san

Raithe/Cat Foxglove: Who IM's me daily with her review's, opinions, and just chat's with me because... You are a joy to me of the highest degree. You have brightened my days in a way that is hard to describe. You have given me a friend to talk to at a time when I really needed one, and a critic of my work who is honest, helpful, and insightful. God Bless, my dear one. Much love.

Vampmistress26: I am working on my Kurama/Keiko smut/fiction... I wanted to thank you for the kind things you have said about this fiction and that I should submit something like it to the other site. I enjoy so much chatting with you... and helping you through your fight scenes. I hope I am indeed helping... I love reading your work, and it is nice to know you look forward to reading mine as well. Take care and I hope to see your Misao/Saitou fiction soon.

Clemen: I hope you're still reading. I believe you are... I have always valued what you have said in the past, and your last review was wonderful. May this note find you enjoying life and good health and happiness, my friend. God bless, and all my best regards and respect. Tsuki-san

SamuariX_Koneko: I am so pleased you are still here. I hope that the K/K fluff in this chapter was to your liking... though it was more 'passion' than fluff. The 'fluff' moments will be coming more often now as their relationship stabelizes... I am hoping to see you as those times go by. I love the sound of your voice, and your encouragement is priceless. Thank you. ( I didn't think you were a stalker... :P)

Kagura: My blessed Kagura. How I love to read what you have to say. You are explicit and concise to the point and your points of critique are well taken. I thank you always for your opinion... please always give it to me... suggestions are also welcome. You will forever be one of my favorite readers. (I'm glad you liked Mara in the beginning chapters... she is sort of a ditz... but a sweet ditz.) And no, Kenshin does not have his scar... yet. I liked your 'Vampire' facts... I found them interesting though I had not heard them before. Where did you find them? Do not be offended... I do not intend to use them because they do not fit with my storyline... perhaps if I had know before hand... but I didn't. I would still very much like to know where you got them... I thought I had heard everything. I had not. God bless, my friend.

BelleDayNight: My blessed Belle... How exciting it is to read anything you have to say. We trade reviews like other people trade soda's... LOL. I noticed today that you had updated one of the 'many' and I have to go read... I am addicted to your written word... and your friendship. I enjoy how you view my stories... oh, and btw... I found some wonderful Kouga pictures that I need to send to you... thought you might like them. ;) Take care, my dear one... I think of you everyday, and you are often in my prayers. Hope all is well with you, it has been many days since we chatted. Be well, and remember life is what you make of it. Tsuki-san

Mimi: I have written more, young one. I hope you like it. :)

Deviation: Are you still keeping tabs, my dear? Do I still have your attention? :) I sincerely hope so. Thank you for your kind words...and your welcome for the story. I'm just glad you seem to have enjoyed it. That makes me feel like I have accomplished something.

CyberEmly01: Oh my dear Friend... how long have we been together now? LOL... a long time I am thinking, and I don't mind the 'big snuggles'. This old lady can use all the 'hugs' and 'love' she can get. *Smiles*. Thanks for everything you say... you always manage to bring a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart (no, it's not heartburn.). God bless, Em... take care.

DeLazyLime: Smiley Faces and touching words of friendship and encouragement when I needed them most (today 6/17) and my heartfelt 'thanks' and love goes out to you for putting a smile on my face when I really needed one. Your reviews and letters are treasures. God Bless. Tsuki-san

Twishinky: Tricia, my lovely! I think you and I are just about qualified to be best friends...LOL... You make me smile, you make me laugh... you give me the uncontrollable urge to tease you unmercifully in my reviews of your fabulous fictions... I must love you a lot. *winks* I don't do that to very many people (show them my wicked side that is). Thank you for everything you say... you make me blush and wonder why you put up with me needling you all the time. Love ya, Girl.

Girl from ipanema: Thank you for the review... I was very depressed that day... you made me feel better. :) thank you. And I think Aoshi is TOTALLY yummy... love that boy.

Polaris-fire-star: Sorry about the cliffy... but if you've ever read any of my work over on Fanfiction.net, you'd know I'm the Queen of cliffies... it's a bad habit of mine... or a wicked flaw... hmmm... LOL

Sephiress: Oh Lovely Girl... FlamingAmberEyes... I have not seen you for such a long time! I hope you are well and happy, dear one. I have missed our chats... I know life is busy and all and you have things, just know I so often think of you. I wait patiently for updates on 'Just let go'...

Thank you for saying such wonderful things about my work... I am humbled you are calling it one of the 'best' you've ever read... that really touches me. God bless, dear friend. Take care.

Ngaurdian: Yes, you have found my racey cache of ® (x) rated stories... and I was both surprised and happy to see your name among my reviews. You are one of my fans who always brings a warm glow to my heart... and a smile to my face. (I didn't know you were an expert... I am among 'royalty' and didn't know it *wink*). Thank you for reading, dear friend... always thank you. So Good to see you... everytime. God bless. Hope I see you again.

And God Bless to all those who read and come back for more. I know that the traffic on AFF.net has been so high lately that it is not only hard to review, but it is hard to even get it... Miss Ayla is struggling to rectify the problem, but really needs our help through whatever donations we can each afford. There are so many of us here... let's try and help her even as she helps us. Take care my friends. See you soon.