Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ —¤: Boy meets dad :¤— ❯ The Aoiya & Saitou ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

<sprays anti-law suit spray on herself>
 
 
 
CHAPTER 7 -
 
 
What did I ever do to him!? Kenji silently cursed at his father as he swung his sword above his head.
 
Yahiko found pleasure in giving Kenji instructions to practice his swings hundreds of times in the past, probably payback from when Kaoru made him practice his swings when they were younger or every time he had annoyed the `busu' when he was the student. Little did Yahiko know that Kenji actually enjoyed practicing his swings. It helped him calm his temper, soothe his soul.
 
After that encounter last night, the temper he had inherited from his mother was at full power. Who did he think he was?! He really is a baka! Kenshin no baka! Threatening me like that. I'll Ryu his Sho Sen if he threatens me again! He continued to fume silently as he practiced.
 
I don't know what my mother ever saw in him! Or his first wife Tomoe. Kenji frowned, thinking about Tomoe. Shouldn't she be here somewhere by now? Since he didn't exactly know when and where his father met his first wife, he shrugged it off and wiped the sweat from his brow.
 
He was so incensed right now, practicing swings couldn't even calm his temper down. He allowed himself to imagine shoulder-dodge-to-nut-kicking his father and felt immensely better.
 
Since practicing swings didn't help, he decided to take a quick visit to Kyoto for the day. With that decision, he went back to his room, changed his clothes and headed towards town.
 
He never noticed the small silhouette trailing him from a safe distance.
 
……
 
Since he had no particular destination in mind, Kenji was surprised when he found himself in front of the Aoiya. Habit, I guess. I didn't mean to end up here, but still… it wouldn't hurt to go in and order something to eat, ne?
 
Stepping into the warm, inviting atmosphere of the restaurant/inn, his eyes softened at the familiar surroundings. This place hasn't changed much.
 
As long as I avoid lots of contact with the Oniwabanshu, everything should be alright. Talking to himself had become a constant in his life lately, since he had no one to talk to. The fact that he was also treading cautiously around his psycho otousan was another factor.
 
Seating himself in a corner, he ordered some food discreetly and wondered if Misao or Aoshi were here.
 
As if on cue, a cute little pig-tailed girl in shorts came bursting out of the kitchen door, followed by a tall, lanky teenager. “Misao!”
 
The toddler gurgled and bounced across the aisle, dodging tables and chairs as the teenager tried hard to catch her. He was failing terribly and the toddler looked like she was enjoying the game very much. “Aowi!” She giggled and continued her great escape.
 
When the little toddler reached the corner of the room where Kenji sat, she stopped short and looked at the teenager in awe, her pretty eyes widening. “Pwetty!” She squealed in delight and tried to climb up Kenji's lap, reaching for his red locks.
 
Very disconcerted at seeing Aoshi-sama as a teenager who didn't look any older than a 13-year old boy, and Miss Misao as a toddler, the young Himura could only stay still as a statue as he let the toddler climb all over him and play with his hair.
 
“Misao, stop bothering that nice young man, it's time for your bath.”
 
Wow, even as a teenager, Lord Aoshi still looks like a block of ice. His ice blue eyes were unreadable, although Kenji could've sworn he detected a hint of great affection for the toddler he had climbing all over him in those eyes.
 
As Aoshi grabbed for Misao again and made to take her away from bothering Kenji's meal, the little girl screamed in protest and grabbed for another fistful of the young swordsman's hair. He winced in pain, feeling like he was going to have a bald spot from where the young Misao was grabbing him.
 
“I'm so sorry about this, sir!” The young Aoshi apologized profusely and continued to try and disentangle the customer from his young charge. Misao was wailing like a banshee, gaining the attention of everybody at the Aoiya.
 
“No bath! Me wanna play with Red!!! No! No! No!”
 
Never a fan of captive audiences, Kenji hastily stood up cradling the little hellion in his arms. “Tell you what Misao. If you go take your bath, Red will play with you, okay?” He told the hyperactive toddler.
 
She seemed to consider this a bit but it took just a bit more cajoling before the loud baby finally relented and allowed herself to be taken from her “Red” and went to take her bath. A young Omasu came to fetch her and the toddler finally let go of Kenji's locks.
 
Kenji rubbed the raw part of his scalp. Miss Misao had a tight grip, even as a child!
 
Chuckling, the customers returned to whatever they were doing and it was business as usual in the Aoiya even though Okina himself had come forward and was also apologizing together with the young Lord Aoshi. Kenji had to bite back a smile from the absurdity of the situation. All he wanted was a bowl of hot soba and maybe some saké.
 
“Gomen! Gomen nasai, sir!” said Okina as he dipped his head over and over again in apology.
 
Kenji raised his hands in a pacifying manner, “That's okay, no harm done.” He smiled reassuringly.
 
“Oh my, I forgot my manners. My name is Okina dear sir, and this is Aoshi.” Okina motioned to the teenager beside him.
 
“My name is Kenji, pleasure to meet you.” He bowed in respect.
 
“If you leave now, I can take care of Misao later,” the young Aoshi told Kenji, his eyes as cold as ever.
 
Kenji shook his head. “That's okay, I did promise to play with her, and I've never backed down from a promise before.”
 
The young Aoshi just regarded him quietly, staring at him like he was staring right at Kenji's soul. Okina puffed his chest out and clapped his hands together. “Then whatever you want sir, it's on the house.” He nodded. “Repayment for my granddaughter almost causing you to go bald.”
 
Only Okina and Kenji laughed at the statement.
 
……
 
 
Kenji rubbed his temples as he blithely navigated his way through the crowded streets of Kyoto. True to his promise, he did play with the young Misao after she had her bath, and Kenji almost felt like he was back at home, only faced with miniature people he knew in his own time.
 
He spent about two or more hours trying to entertain the giddy toddler before he had to depart.
 
So much for trying not to run into familiar faces. From the time I got here, I managed to meet up with the young Kenshin, the old wolf, the ice block and the rest of the Oniwabanshu.
 
Great job, Kenji! Said that little voice at the back of his head. Why don't you just dig up old acquaintances and announce to the entire Japanese population that you're from the future, ne?
 
Oh shut up, baka!
 
Who are you calling stupid, stupid!
 
You, stupid!
 
If I'm stupid, at least I'm not the one who's arguing with himself!
 
Convinced that he finally lost his mind, he quickened his pace, determined to go back to the tranquillity of his room and have a nice long nap.
 
When he finally noticed it, it was too late to turn back and run towards the other direction. There were several men blocking his exit.
 
He was face to face with Hajime Saitoh.
 
“And so, we meet again.”
 
Crap! This day just got better!