Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ —¤: Boy meets dad :¤— ❯ It's All Relative ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I own Kenshin. (Sure you do) I really do! (I believe ya!) No, really! :P
 
 
 
 
- CHAPTER 13 -
 
All good things must come to an end.
 
Nothing in life is constant except change itself.
 
No one can remain happy forever.
 
I'd list more pearls of wisdom here but that's all I've got and well… you get the drift…
 
The fragile peaceful life that Kenji and Kenshin were beginning to build is shattered as the Kohagi Inn burned to the ground.
 
Since it is no longer safe for the Ishin Shishi to stay in Kyoto, Kogoro Katsura tells Kenshin that he had prepared a small countryside cottage for him in Otsu.
 
“My dreams, my plans… all burned to ashes tonight.” Katsura said heavily. “You can take Kamiya-san with you, Himura-san. I'll send word to you once things settle down and your services are needed once more. For now, we need to regroup. Good luck.”
 
They packed what little belongings they had, their trusty sakabatou and katana, and walked away from the ashes that was the Kohagi Inn, never looking back.
 
The Battoussai was concerned about not drawing attention to themselves while hiding out in Otsu. Considering that they were two teenagers with red hair, carrying swords and striking features, he was trying to formulate plans and backup plans if the enemy ever tracked them down and decided to attack.
 
His main concern was not for himself, but for his future son. He was confident enough in his abilities, and also confident in Kenji-chan's swordskill, but he kept feeling a sense of foreboding that wouldn't go away.
 
The feared hitokiri, Battoussai the Manslayer, skilled assassin and said to be the strongest of the Imperialists - was turning into a worrywart.
 
Kenji, however, had other plans.
 
He didn't think that the Ishin Shishi would be able to regroup for several months at least, maybe even half a year or more, given the conditions. With that in mind, he figured that they didn't need to be cooped up in some cottage in a hill playing house until someone came to fetch them like the good Imperialist assassin and bodyguard that they were. He already had his share of being stranded in one place like a pet dog. His adventurous spirit was kicking in. He wanted to learn things he never knew. He wanted to hear the cry of the wolf to the blue corn moon. He wanted to paint with all the colors of the wind.
 
………
 
Okay, well, maybe but not really.
 
He wanted to stop by Tokyo and catch a glimpse of his mother.
 
Kenshin, who was curious to see the woman who was going to be his future wife, didn't offer much of a fight as he too tried to justify their quick pit stop.
 
When Kenji realized that Kenshin was agreeing to his suggestion, he dragged the poor hitokiri down the Tokaido path into Tokyo faster than you can say Shukuchi.
 
……
 
“Are you sure about this, Kenji-chan?” Kenshin asked the teenager for the third time in the past ten minutes. He was starting to have cold feet as they stared at the sign that read “Kamiya Dojo”.
 
The duo managed to reach Tokyo in two days, and was now standing just outside the dojo door.
 
For Kenshin, deciding to go and the actual trip itself were actually easier than the part where he had to face whoever lived in this imposing dojo. He would never admit to feeling the slightest bit intimidated though. Just because the dojo looked very reputable didn't make a skilled assassin like him, one who has taken lots of lives and will continue to take more lives in the upcoming revolution, feel two feet shorter.
 
“Of course I'm sure! I can't wait to see her!” Cackled Kenji gleefully, rubbing his hands together in anticipation. He had an unidentifiable look on his face that almost bordered on evil.
 
“We're not tampering with the normal course of history by doing this, are we?” Said the hitokiri again who was having a massive attack of jitters despite his curiosity.
 
Kenji scoffed. “You're talking about tampering with time with me?” He asked, pointing a finger at himself. “I think I've done enough damage that my own time's going to be practically unrecognizable if I ever do get the chance to go back.” He paused and peered into Kenshin's violet orbs suspiciously. “You're not having second thoughts, are you? You agreed and it's too late to take it back now!” Leaning closer to his father's face, he tried to find some sort of emotion that would reveal the Battoussai's true emotions.
 
“I'm not!” Kenshin said quickly and backed away a few feet, a little too defensively in Kenji's opinion. “I'm just concerned about how this will affect the future, that's all.” Kenshin thought that Tokyo was extremely hot this season but restrained himself from picking up the front of his gi and fanning himself with it. Kenji might think he was sweating profusely because he was nervous or something… and he wasn't nervous of course. No, he wasn't nervous about meeting his future wife and future mother of his son at all, the young hitokiri repeated the sentence over and over again in his head.
 
Looking at Kenji didn't give him a lot of insight as to how the woman looked since he looks exactly like his father, but surely she wasn't ugly to look at, was she? Even if she wielded a sword and seemed to be somewhat dominating didn't mean that she was ugly, did it? Kenji even commented more than once about how his mother was considered the `Flower of Kendou' in her time, so that meant that she was at least cute-looking or at the least bit passable, right? Right!?!
 
“Riiiiight,” came the sarcastic reply. “And you're sweating abundantly in what's possibly one of the coolest days of the summer because..?”
 
The Battoussai thought that changing topics would be the best course of action for him in this conversation. “Should we knock or just open the door?”
 
Before either of them could decide on what to do, the door to the dojo opened by itself and various students of different sizes and ages started walking out.
 
“Be careful on your way home and don't be late for tomorrow's class!” Koshijiro Kamiya told his students authoritatively as they filed past him.
 
“Yes, Kamiya-sensei!” The students replied as they continued their trek out of the dojo doors.
 
Grandfather…” Kenji quietly whispered in amazement as if he was in a holy shrine and had to observe silence. He looked totally in awe of the man Kenshin had identified as the master of the school.
 
This must be Kenji's mother's father. Kenshin safely concluded. For the first time since he's known the kid, he was actually quiet and even looked kind of speechless. The Battoussai tried not to feel insulted when he observed that his son looked more … impressed … right now, meeting this `Kamiya-sensei' than the time when they first met back in the dark streets of Kyoto. He chalked it up to the dimly lit streets and he excused himself by saying that he wasn't really paying much attention to the kid's face that night either. Surely he doesn't prefer his grandfather over his own father, does he?
 
Noting the man's wooden sword on the side of his hip, the young hitokiri sized up the man's samurai spirit and felt confident that he could take the man on and win. He immediately felt better, knowing that Kenji would surely favor him over this guy, even if the guy was his grandfather.
 
As the last of the students exited the dojo, Koshijiro noticed the two redheads outside of his home. “Can I help you?” He asked and looked at what appeared to be the older of the two. “You look familiar boy, have we met before?” Koshijiro asked as he scrutinized Kenji. The man looked at him, up and down, but Kenji didn't seem the least bit disturbed. One had to admire the self-esteem he possessed.
 
Kenji shook his head. “Not that I recall sir. We're just a couple of wanderers, that's all.”
 
“And your names are?”
 
Kenji bowed. “I am Kenji Himura and this is my little brother, Kenshin Himura.”
 
Kenshin almost choked, but he coughed into his hand instead. Little brother indeed! He bowed at Koshijiro.
 
Koshijiro regarded the older redhead and what looked like his sickly little brother quietly before he spoke. “So what business do you have here? Why are you at my dojo?”
 
Thinking quick on his feet Kenji blurted out, “We heard of your revitalizing technique all the way from Kyoto and became curious, Kamiya-san.”
 
“Really now.”
 
“As you can see, we are aspiring swordsmen,” he pointed at the swords that each of them sported, tucked into their belts. “Would you consider taking in a couple of temporary borders, sir? We would like to observe your Kamiya Kasshin Style of Swordsmanship, if you would allow it.”
 
Kenshin's eyes bugged out at Kenji's last statement. What was he playing at?! We couldn't stay here long enough to learn the man's sword style! He tried to catch the older redhead's eyes but Kenji seemed to be ignoring him.
 
“I don't know if you've noticed, young man, but this is a DOJO, not an INN.” Koshijiro said.
 
“Surely you could spare a room or two for your fellow samurai, can you not? My brother is really good in doing the laundry and he's also a decent cook.”
 
I am? The Battoussai thought dizzily.
 
“In exchange for staying here, we would like to help in the chores and promise not to get in the way of your training. We merely want to observe your teachings and perhaps add to our skill.” Kenji looked at Koshijiro with innocent-looking, pleading, wide purple eyes. Even the ruthless hitokiri could feel himself fall prey into Kenji's pleading, so it wasn't any wonder that Koshijiro succumbed to it as well.
 
“We do have extra rooms at the dojo,” Koshijiro said thoughtfully. “My wife passed away a few years back and I live only with my daughter, Kaoru.” He told them, but he couldn't figure out why exactly he felt like he could trust the older redhead, feeling some kind of kinship to him even. “Forgive me, I haven't introduced myself formally yet. Koshijiro Kamiya, Master of the Kamiya Kasshin Style of fighting, it's a pleasure meeting you.”
 
He stepped aside and invited the two Himuras in.
 
Kenji took in a deep breath of air, feeling a bit giddy from happiness. I'm home! He surveyed the familiar surroundings of the Kamiya Dojo, one that he knew every nook and cranny of by heart.
 
Kenshin was trying not to act so suspicious as he searched the said dojo for a teenage girl, his future wife.
 
“That's the dojo right there, where we take our lessons.” Koshijiro was saying as he was giving his new guests a tour of the grounds. “The kitchen is here, we do the laundry right there,” he said, pointing to the spot near the well. “The bath house is right there, we also have a small garden where we grow some vegetables. Right here is where the bedrooms are, you and your brother can choose whichever rooms you would like to take, my daughter's bedroom is…” He paused as something from above them jumped and attacked.
 
“Hiya!!!” Shouted a shrill little voice, interrupting their tour.
 
A bokken hit Kenshin squarely on the head as he made to catch the form that came along with it, preventing it from crashing into his own. He stared at the bokken stupidly for a minute until he turned his attention to the child he was holding in his arms. He noticed the tiny hand that was holding the bokken, traced a path along the tiny hand to a matching tiny shoulder and then looked into the cutest little innocent blue eyes that he ever laid his eyes on. Ebony locks framed the delicate porcelain face which looked really soft and supple.
 
Aw, she's so adorable! She was the cutest little girl the young hitokiri had ever laid his eyes on.
 
“And that…” Koshijiro said, almost apologetically, “is my daughter Kaoru. Kaoru, these men will be our guests for the time being so you be a good girl and try not to attack them with your beloved bokken, okay?”
 
Little Kaoru giggled in the redheaded samurai's arms. “Yes daddy.”
 
Kenshin almost dropped the little girl. Unless Koshijiro had another daughter somewhere, which he knew for a fact that he didn't because Kenji had told him that his mother had been an only child, this little girl he was holding in his arms was going to be his future wife!!!
 
Oro!
 
THE END.
.
.
.
……
.
.
.
 
 
 
Hahahaha just kidding!!! ROFLROFL
 
Aw! Kenshin and Kaoru finally meet! :squeals: Think it was love at first sight for Kenshin despite Kaoru's teenie tiny? hehehe
 
Disney flashback: haha, Colors of the Wind has always been one of my favorite Disney songs together with Kiss the Girl from the Little Mermaid. :P Speaking of songs… Somewhere Only We Know… Keane!!! :swoons:
 
Hehe, by Kenji calling Kenshin “Sessha” don't you think that HE caused Kenshin to do all the “Sessha”-ing in the future of this fic? :P
 
ORO! Okay, I'm feeling really pressured because of my promise to update at least once a day. LOL PLEASE forgive me if I don't update as much as I usually do during the next few days… Wednesdays especially because I like watching Smallville, and I still watch the Smallville reruns on ABC Family. :P