Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Back To The Start ❯ Their Story ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Back To The Start
 
Chapter 3: Their Story
 
“Ano, Kaoru-san? Kenshin? The story?” Kana asked Kaoru and Kenshin timidly.
 
“Oh, the story…” Kaoru trailed off, avoiding Kana's expectant gaze.
 
“Oi! Anyone home?” Sano yelled from the dojo gates.
 
“Sano! Ah, hai, we're over here, Sano!” Kenshin answered in a relieved voice, grateful to have a distraction and to get away from Kana's curiosity. `Please let her forget about hearing our story after this.' Kenshin silently pleaded in his mind.
 
“Ken-san? Kaoru-chan?” Megumi's voice floated toward the threesome as she walked in the door with Sanosuke.
 
“Oh, Megumi-chan! You came too? And with Sanosuke? What's up?” Kaoru quizzed Megumi, raising her eyebrows at her in mock accusation.
 
“Ano…” Kana mumbled almost inaudibly in confusion at seeing more unfamiliar people conversing heartily with her beloved rurouni.
 
“On, Kana-dono, these are our friends, Sa…” Kenshin started to say.
 
“I'm Sagara Sanosuke and…Ow!” Sano interrupted Kenshin impolitely, and earned himself a hard rap on the head by his girlfriend, Megumi. “Whawasthafor?!” Sano cried at Megumi, clutching the top of his head.
 
“Sanosuke! Speak politely! And don't interrupt Ken-san when he's speaking! No one asked for you to speak!” Megumi scolded, frowning in disapproval at her boyfriend. “I'm terribly sorry, I'm Takani Megumi, don't mind rooster-head over here,” Megumi said to Kana, smiling softly as she spoke.
 
“Very nice to meet you both, Sanosuke-san, Megumi-san. My name is Kana, Komichi Kana,” Kana told the two, bowing politely, as Sano protested angrily in the background.
 
“Pleasure, Kana-kun,” Megumi answered with a genuine smile. “Shut up!” Megumi growled at Sanosuke, whirling around in annoyance.
“Oh, perhaps you and Sanosuke-san could…” Kana started to say only to be cut off by Sano.
 
“Don't call me -san,” Sanosuke said flatly.
 
“Oh, terribly sorry. Could you two help Kaoru-san and Kenshin explain their story?” Kana asked Sanosuke and Megumi with an apologetic bow at Sano.
 
“Story? Kaoru-chan, you…” Megumi started in shock.
 
“Hai, I suppose,” Kaoru sighed in disappointment. `Guess we can't get away, huh, Kenshin,' Kaoru commented, allowing her eyes to portray the message.
 
`Hai, that seems to be so, Kaoru-dono,' Kenshin answered Kaoru in the same manner.
 
Sano stopped his annoyed protest long enough to ask, “Kenshin?”
 
“Hai. Well, the story starts with Kaoru-dono accusing this one of being the Hitokiri Battousai, since she was looking for him. Of course, this one was surprised, but denied it,” Kenshin started off to say.
 
“Hai. Then Kenshin and I heard a police whistle, and I went after the `real' Battousai. Of course, I nearly got myself killed. That would have been so if weren't there to save me. A couple days later, I met Kenshin on the street again; they were trying to arrest him since he was carrying a sword, which you should know is a sakabatou. That's when
I told him of my suspicions of `Battousai's' whereabouts. Then he went after him, and when Gohei, Hiruma Gohei, came, claiming to be Battousai, to take this property, Kenshin stepped in and saved me. Not to mention, admitting he was Hitokiri Battousai.” Kaoru picked up.
 
“That's when Kaoru-dono invited this one to stay with her. The next day, when we were at the marketplace shopping we saw Yamagata Aritomo. This one fought the police and when we were getting back, we met Yahiko, who picked this one's pocket. We helped him get away from the Yakuza gang he was with, and started his training with, Kaoru-dono.” Kenshin picked up from where Kaoru left off.
 
“Hai, then Kenshin, Kaoru, and I went to the Akabeko a couple days later and met Sanosuke. Later, Sano was hired to kill Kenshin, which he obviously didn't succeed in.” Yahiko interrupted.
 
“Hey! He didn't kill me either, kid!” Sano yelled at Yahiko defensively.
 
“Well he could have if he wanted!” Yahiko yelled back, as everyone watched helplessly.
 
“ANYWAY!!” Kaoru yelled, annoyed.
 
“Sano-“ Kaoru started.
 
“I'll take it from here Missie.” Sano snapped, and Kaoru huffed, annoyed, and Kenshin gave her a comforting glance. “Yeah, I was hired by Gohei and Kihei to kill Kenshin. Since I hated Ishin Shishi, this was my perfect battle. Little did I know about Kenshin though, even after all the research I did. He beat me in the end. I always thought he was like the others, greedy and drowning in their own beliefs, but Kenshin, he fought for the weak.” Sanosuke continued, quite passionately. “Oh, yeah, never quite got a chance to thank you for what you did for me, so now, thanks.”
 
“Sano, there's no need for you to thank this one.” Kenshin answered with a smile.
 
“But, then came the Jin-e fight. He was a hitokiri as well. After attacking Tani-dono, he changed his target to this one.” Kenshin said, and Kana gasped. “Then he kidnapped Kaoru-dono to make this one angry. This one arrived at the battle site and fought Jin-e. Just as this one was about to kill him, Kaoru-dono broke the shinnoippou put on her, and shouted `no' stopping this one.” He and Kaoru exchanged knowing glances.
 
“Hai, then the next day, they met me as I was running from Takeda Kanryuu. Sano and Ken-san saved me and invited me to stay. They fought many battles for me, the last almost taking Ken-san's life, against Shinomori Aoshi.” Megumi told.
 
“ Yeah, the four oniwanbanshuu left, Hannya, Shikijo, Beshimi,and Hyottoko, all died from Kanryuu's gatling gun. Later, we went to Maekawa Dojo, there, Kenshin fought Raijuta, because he would not join Shinko Ryuu. Yutaro went to Germany, though, and we never saw him again.” Yahiko stated.
 
“Hai, picking up from where Yahiko left off, Saitou Hajime, leader of the 3rd unit of the Shinsengumi, now Fujita Goro of the police came looking for Kenshin for a fight to asses his skill, but ending up as a duel to settle their score of the Bakumatsu. Battousai was forced out of Kenshin and then Okubo showed up so neither lost their lives. Okubo's real point was to ask Kenshin to aid the government in destroying Shishio Makoto. He didn't want to go, but when Okubo was assassinated, that was the last straw. Kenshin left for Kyoto.” Kaoru said blushing slightly.
 
“Yeah! And he only said goodbye, oops, it was `Sayonara', to you! Huh, Kaoru! Ha! Ha!” Yahiko teased. Surprisingly, Kaoru didn't pound him, but instead looked down, blushing, but the act was really to hide her tears, wanting to come out. She was thinking of that awful moment where Kenshin hugged her, said `Sayonara,' stating he was rurouni and would wander once more, and left. Not looking back. Kenshin could tell how she felt, so he took her hand under the table and continued their story, “After this one left, this one met Makimachi Misao-dono, and we traveled together to Kyoto.” No one had heard this part of the story so they all listened intentedly. Kenshin noticed, so he smiled briefly and continued, amused. “Hai, on the way, this one came across a town where Shishio was hiding and helped out a boy named Eiji. This one also met Saitou there, we went to Shishio's mansion and this one fought Senkaku, one of Shishio's men.” Kenshin said.
 
Author's Notes: I know that explaining the entire story is a little silly, but, I want to show Kana's emotions, and her listening as chapters.