Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Back To The Start ❯ Denial and Realization ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Back To The Start
 
Chapter 19: Denial And Realization
 
“Megumi-dono, this one realized the possibility of scheming after the break up. And, Kana-dono in answer to your question, hai, this one did realize. But, this one thought that you wouldn't sink so low, so this one blamed it on this one's cynicism,” Kenshin replied calmly.
 
Kaoru, who'd remained quiet all this time commented, “Although this was wrong, it served as a good test of our love.”
 
“That's true,” Kenshin admitted and cast a look at Kaoru, both silently acknowledging the truth they'd come too. “If the two of us broke up so easily, perhaps this arrangement isn't right.”
 
“WHAT??!!” the entire crowd screeched, including Aoshi.
 
“What the hell're you talking about?!” Sano yelled.
 
“Well, Kaoru and this one feel that we may not be right for each other. We let such a little thing break us apart.”
 
“Kenshin, it wasn't little! And Kaoru-san didn't actually say anything,” Kana protested. `I can't believe I'm defending their love now.'
 
“Hai, she did. She said that this was a test of our love. Neither of us feel we passed,” Kenshin explained calmly.
 
“I agree,” Kaoru added.
 
“What?! How could you agree, Kaoru-chan?” Megumi cried, now herself near tears.
 
“Everyone, before you all come screaming insults at us and our decision, please think of our reasons,” Kaoru begged, not wanting a riot. Everyone quieted down and after thinking for a while, each cursed and left. All Kenshin and Kaoru could do was stare in surprise. Finally, when the last person left, they closed the door behind them. Kenshin and Kaoru looked at each other and blushed, looking away.
 
After a long awkward silence, “Th-This one will go,” Kenshin stammered, getting up and leaving. Kaoru bit her lip in uncertainty. She wanted him to stay, but she didn't know what to say. They used to be so comfortable with each other, why was it that now they couldn't look at each other without blushing?
 
Just as Kaoru was about to stop him, Kenshin jiggled the shoji and muttered, “It's locked?” in disbelief.
“What? It's locked?” Kaoru asked, herself also in shock. She stood with difficulty and walked over to try herself. But, halfway there, she tripped and with a yelp fell toward the floor. She squeezed her eyes shut, expecting to hit the floor, but what she didn't see was the frightened look on Kenshin's face when he whipped around at her yelp to see her falling; he'd rushed forward to catch her in his arms. When Kaoru didn't feel herself hit the floor, she opened her eyes and saw that the floor was still far. So, she turned and saw Kenshin's worried face above hers. She finally realized that Kenshin's arms were around her, finally registering he'd caught her. Kaoru blushed and Kenshin let go of his self-control. He leaned down toward her, and captured her lips with his own. Kaoru's eyes widened in shock, but feeling Kenshin's lips on hers felt so good, and so right. So, she fell into it, kissing him back and wrapping her arms around Kenshin's neck.
 
`He still likes me! Yay! I'm so glad he still loves me! I've never stopped loving him! Never! Oh, love is bliss.' Kaoru thought with joy. Apparently the two finally realized what they were doing, and jumped apart, embarrassed.
 
“Oh, ah, this one is sorry, Kaoru. This one, this one shouldn't have, um, uh…” Kenshin trailed off with uncertainty. He didn't know if Kaoru would hug him or slap him, burst out in tears or laugh, he…
 
“Oh, um, it's okay, Kenshin. Uh, um, I, I, I…” Kaoru finally broke off with just as much insecurity.
 
“Kaoru, forgive this one for being blunt, but this one must be straightforward with you. Why did you break up with this one?”
 
“I should be asking you the same question! Well, I broke up with you because I thought you were going out with someone else, and that you didn't love me anymore,” Kaoru confessed.
 
“Well, this one broke up with you for the same reason. So, you weren't dating anyone else?”
 
“IIE! I would never cheat on you!” Kaoru cried. “So, then, you didn't cheat on me either?”
 
“Iie. This one would never do anything like that! To tell you the truth, this one only broke up with you so you could be happy.”
 
“Well, that's the reasoning behind my side of the break up, too. Kenshin, I never stopped loving you.”
 
“This one never stopped loving you either.”
 
“So, everything's good? We're made up? Does that mean we're together again?”
 
“Hai, but…” Kenshin hesitantly started. “But, we broke up so easily, as this one previously stated, this is it right arrangement for us, ne?”
 
“I-I truly don't know. What I do know is, Kenshin, I still do truly love you.”
 
“This one still loves you too, Kaoru. And, this one cant live without you.”
 
“Does that mean we're back together then? For good?” Kaoru repeated.
 
“Hai, aishiteru, Kaoru. I guess it's true when they say, `Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind, therefore it is winged Cupid painted blind,'” Kenshin recited.
 
“I suppose so. Aishiteru mo, Kenshin,” Kaoru answered as she reached out to hug him. Kenshin smiled at her and kissed her lightly. The couple looked out the window and saw the sun just dipping below the horizon.
 
“Do you think they're going to let us out tonight?” Kenshin asked.
 
“Probably not.” So with that, the two just cuddled with each other and talked for 2 hours. Then, they began to get restless.
 
Kenshin sweatdropped, thinking, `Are they really not going to let us out? This one can't stay in here all night. It's improper and dishonorable! This one cannot taint Kaoru's name. To think this one left the sakabatou in this one's room. Ack! What to do?'
 
“I guess we should go to bed,” Kaoru commented uncomfortably.
 
“Aa, this one can sleep against the wall if you'd like,” Kenshin offered.
 
Kaoru shook her head no. “Iie, come sleep with me,” Kaoru proposed and got into bed since she was already dressed in her yukata.
 
“H-Hai. This one will have to sleep in his clothes. I have nothing else with me,” Kenshin shakily agreed.
 
“You can borrow one of my yukatas, Kenshin,” Kaoru said, now relaxing a bit.
 
“Iie, that's alright. This one will be fine.”
 
“Alright, if you say so.” With that, the two lay down side by side to sleep. Kenshin took Kaoru into his arms and she snuggled up into his lean chest.
 
“You know, Kenshin, I saw you at the place where we first met this morning. I went there somehow. I don't even know why,” Kaoru murmured sleepily.
 
“This one does not know how he got there either. Maybe fate brought us there. Since you saw this one, why didn't you say anything then?”
 
“I don't know. I think I was… nervous.”
 
“Well, Koishii, you never have to be nervous around me.”
 
“I know, Kenshin. I know.” Then sleep overtook them shortly after their conversation, both comforted by the other's presence. They woke in the morning to the morning rays of sunlight shining into their eyes. They were just sitting up in bed when all their friends burst in.
 
“So?!” Everyone practically screamed.
 
Author's Notes: Two chapters in one day! This fic has only two more chapters after this, so the wait is almost over. I know I'm updating a lot more frequently now, but it's only because I want to finish this before school starts. I don't want to have to find time, and then not have it. Yes, Kenshin and Kaoru are made up, shouldn't have taken much to guess that. All my stories have happy endings, that's just how I am. Yes, I know that I made KxK sleep together, but that's all. It helped their relationship, so they at least have nothing more to worry about even if someone else tries to break them up again. (No, that was not a hint.) There are no more break ups, they will all get together and have a happily ever after. Ja ne! (Haven't said that in a while!)